• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 7m sold copies and 600k concurrent users

TikeMyson

I bought it a couple of weeks ago, and I just couldn't get into it. I really enjoy watching streams of it though. I will try again once it hits consoles if the performance is pretty good. The game looks so fun, I'm not sure why I didn't really like it when I played.

Same for me. I love watching streams... funny to see them lose but it's also really tense and nice to see if they get in the top 10 or even win. But I personally don't get into it. I bought it on July 16th and just played 10 hours and don't really have the urge to play more.

MUnited83

For you.
didnt realize people liked walking simulators so much.

super-paper-mario-message-board-e.jpg

MechaDekka

Neo Member
Wow this game is a phenomenon! Also I'm pretty sure Ghost is poking fun at the amount of walking from place to place you do in the game.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Glad theyve found success, game is trash.

Drdisrespect showing a lot of frustration with the game recently.

yup, drdisrespect is the perfect champion for your sentiment

totally irrelevant in the grand scheme. one whiny dude and an army of classic "and THIS is why i'm not playing this game! (that i would never play in the first place) people.

sit back and enjoy the incredible ride, people. game is going to make such an unbelievable amount of money and i've already had so many hundreds of amazing hours with it.

congrats pu and bluehole, keep it coming, been an amazing ride so far

MS helped Bluehole with the port. If only Sony was smart enough to invest in the next big thing. But hey, they prefer narretive and emotion.

To be fair they've been hitting home runs with exclusive games for the most part. Microsoft helping with the port makes complete sense for them to hold exclusivity for awhile, I just hope it's not too long as this game looks like a load of fun. Giant Bomb's murder island took me from wonder what "that game with the weird name and bad cover (imo)" was, to chomping at the bit to play. Always thought a game based on Battle Royale would be neat, and this pretty much confirms it.

As an aside, are the items on the map static in both location and nature (what they are), or does it vary what's there each time?

Venfayth

He's also pretended to quit the game like 9 times.

Like, I respect successful streamers quite a bit, but DrDisrespect just rubs me so much in the wrong way. I won't get in to it again, but I have no sympathy for him - and it's not because he's a popular streamer.

Hybris

The walking simulator guy could have been joking guys. Don't lie, you have all played a game where you couldn't find a vehicle and the circles were always opposite side of you, shit happens sometimes!

Mooreberg

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games
There is a mountain of shit on Steam, but this game is not contributing to that. It would resemble a finished game if they sorted out whatever the problem is with the network lag messages and the performance hiccups.

But I will agree that paid keys before the game is fully ironed out is horse shit. I am selling all of that crap on Steam Marketplace to break even on the purchase. I wonder how that stuff will go over on consoles, because the payoff and getting and selling an expensive item is not really there.

Hektor

I guess no one is interested in rational discussion of the game instead dropping to sarcasm and insults to defend this, just lol.

Call me back when there's a game out there worth my time.

Lol, just lol

"Rational discussion" sure is a funny way to describe your shitposts

How are 7 million people allowed to be scammed by money grubbing knockoffs of games that aren't even fun? Shit seriously looks like a Chinese rip.

Like, loot creates in an early access game? Come on now. Someone needs to call the FCC or something because this is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh wait didn't Bluehole get bought by Tencent?

:thinking:

People actually defending this game and these business practices, all I can do is shake my head. Apparently being squeezed out of money and enjoying it is the new future now, disappointing.

Also trying to use sarcasm to marginalize and opinion, just lol.

So looking forward to GOTY awards, think this game could dethrone zelda, and I cant wait for clones of this game. Frostbite engine or foxdie engine pleease

xviper

So looking forward to GOTY awards, think this game could dethrone zelda, and I cant wait for clones of this game. Frostbite engine or foxdie engine pleease

do early access games are allowed to be nominated ??

Dethrone Zelda ?? the only game that can dethrone Zelda in this generation is Witcher 3 and it came out in 2015, the 2017 GOTY awards are already engraved with Zelda on them

clones ?? isn't PUBG already a clone of hundred other early access survival games ?

The walking simulator guy could have been joking guys. Don't lie, you have all played a game where you couldn't find a vehicle and the circles were always opposite side of you, shit happens sometimes!

no, you know just as well as I do that the phrase 'walking simulator' has carried very specific connotations for several years now

the only reason people ever use that phrase is to de-legitimize games they don't like on the basis that they're lacking meaningful interactive gameplay beyond walking

to describe PUBG in such a way is spectacularly ignorant

Aters

People actually defending this game and these business practices, all I can do is shake my head. Apparently being squeezed out of money and enjoying it is the new future now, disappointing.

Also trying to use sarcasm to marginalize and opinion, just lol.

There's no pay 2 win, just some skins, why are you so mad? Big AAA companies have done far worse things.

Trace

Banned

Dethrone Zelda ?? the only game that can dethrone Zelda in this generation is Witcher 3 and it came out in 2015, the 2017 GOTY awards are already engraved with Zelda on them

clones ?? isn't PUBG already a clone of hundred other early access survival games ?

So you come into here knowing almost nothing about the game, good to know. Zelda is massively overrated (saying that as having beaten the game), and PUBG is far more innovative in how it plays and how fun it is. Get the fuck out with the "clone" comments. PUBG is as much a clone as other survival games as Zelda is a clone of Skyrim.

There is no reason to disqualify a game for GOTY because of an "Early Access" tag, any more than you could disqualify a game for having an "FPS" or "RPG" tag.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
didnt realize people liked walking simulators so much.

How are 7 million people allowed to be scammed by money grubbing knockoffs of games that aren't even fun? Shit seriously looks like a Chinese rip.

Like, loot creates in an early access game? Come on now. Someone needs to call the FCC or something because this is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh wait didn't Bluehole get bought by Tencent?

:thinking:
I can't handle these hot takes.

Hektor

Goes to show how much you know lol

Venfayth

Are you a troll or do you legitimately believe the words you type?

Aters

indie developer sells 7m copies of their game, you would think such a huge success would be celebrated by the gaming community, what's with the few people being salty here?

This is the time all console warriors unite together to defend a PC game out of nowhere from GOTY. Prophecy has it if PUBG is nominated GOTY, the GOTY award is forever tainted.

Noirulus

FPP is so fucking buggy, mainly because of the ping. Guy comes flying into my room, then runs around the room randonmly spamming shotgun and somehow kills me. They seriously need to match players based on PING.

Also my friend (lives in Toronto, Canada) got matched up with Shroud and DrDisrespect (California). It was cool for him but that should never fucking happen.

Other than that it's a great game

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Daybreak should release h1z1 on ps4 like yesterday. They might be one of the dumbest devs out there. I mean, aren't non-competes a thing in business?

Are you a troll or do you legitimately believe the words you type?

He's a troll. A notorious one. Anything you could explain to him re:pUBG has already been explicitly explained to him in the PUBG GOTY thread. He don't care.

You think he sounds silly in here? Check this out. From the PUBG GOTY thread:

it would be a miracle if an early access generic survival game that looks like ps2 become a GOTY contender in the same year games like Zelda Botw, Resident evil 7, Yakuza 0, horizon, Evil within 2, and many more has come out

exactly my thought

i don't understand how PC gamers keep playing the same shit over and over and over

it's like a cycle, a shitty looking survival early access game that never gets finished and plays like a ps1 game comes out and everyone plays it, a year later, same shit comes out and they forget about the previous shit and go to the next shit

i honestly cannot tell a single difference between those games, i played some of them and they are identical

I've never seen such a dedicated troll evade bans on GAF like this dude does. xviper is like the ignore button's poster child. Don't expect him to drop back into this thread except to pump out another low-effort shitpost that does nothing to actually validate his ridiculous positions whatsoever

Mareg

So sell me on that game.

I like PC shooters. Is it free to play ? Why is it getting so much attention ?
If it is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, I checked steam reviews and there was a lot of negativity in there.

MUnited83

For you.

Zelda wasn't that good, and no, PUBG is not "a clone of hundred other early access survival games". But you already knew that. All you do is shitposting over and over again. It's amazing that you haven't been banned already.

Stygr

Banned

Lol

indie developer sells 7m copies of their game, you would think such a huge success would be celebrated by the gaming community, what's with the few people being salty here?

It has loot crates that no one who actually plays the game gives a shit about

Every player wears the same basic shit cuz no one cares about appearance, half the playerbase plays first person mode which means you're never gonna see it anyway.

A shitty player is upset with the game, I guess that settles it. The dude literally thinks he's invincible and takes every fight regardless of him being in a disadvantageous position then bitches about how it's the games fault. He's that "toxic" person that GAF always uses as an example as to why they don't use in-game chat anymore.

So sell me on that game.

If it is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, I checked steam reviews and there was a lot of negativity in there.

The negative reviews are people bitching about the Gamescom crate ($2.50 to unlock)

But he doesn't like PUBG so we'll take his opinion serious and use that as the basis for the games' quality.

Trace

Banned
So sell me on that game.

Yes it's PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Steam reviews are a cesspit and you shouldn't use them as a barometer for quality for anything over 100 reviews. No it's not free to play, it's incredibly fun and amazing to play with friends.

The ๖ۜBronx;246276520 said:
As an aside, are the items on the map static in both location and nature (what they are), or does it vary what's there each time?

^ + is there any plan to change whatever that is as the game develops?

Durante

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games
You sound unreasonably upset about a game people clearly enjoy being successful.
So does Ever.

A shitty player is upset with the game, I guess that settles it. The dude literally thinks he's invincible and takes every fight regardless of him being in a disadvantageous position then bitches about how it's the games fault. He's that "toxic" person that GAF always uses as an example as to why they don't use in-game chat anymore.

But he doesn't like PUBG so we'll take his opinion serious and use that as the basis for the games' quality.

Doc is a joke. As in, when he starts ranting after a loss - how it's the game's fault he lost - it's a joke. It's not meant to be anything other than entertaining.

That said, I do think we are passed due for a map update. I don't think the streaming community (both players and viewers) are going to go another 6 months with just Erangel on offer.

Mareg

Yes it's PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Steam reviews are a cesspit and you shouldn't use them as a barometer for quality for anything over 100 reviews. No it's not free to play, it's incredibly fun and amazing to play with friends.

Thanks for the quick highlights. I might make a plea with my usual group of friends. I'm fed up with Left for Dead and would like to try something new. This might be down our alley.

fuzzyset

The ๖ۜBronx;246279244 said:
^ + is there any plan to change whatever that is as the game develops?

The loot spawns are randomized each time, but a few locations are almost guaranteed to have lots of 'good' loot (scopes, silencers, rifles) every game. I believe the core of the game is the randomized nature of it. Between the different flight paths, circle paths, and loot spawns, every game feels slightly different. That's good IMO.

Gbraga

I really need to try this some time. I have to admit that the way it looks puts me off a bit, though. I'm not the biggest graphics dude, but the animations look so weird.

This concept with MGS V controls would be the dream. With the amount of money they're making, it could possibly become a reality in a sequel, right? Though I can't see this kind of game getting a direct sequel anytime soon, it lends itself very well to constant updates.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

oh god xviper, you've done it once again, now haven't you?

1. Roadmap for the game is that it will be released by Q4 THIS year.

2. How the hell is the game a clone when it's a game made by the genre creator? There's been far less than 100s of battle royale games and please stop equating battle royale with survival games, they are wildly different games.

The loot spawns are randomized each time, but a few locations are almost guaranteed to have lots of 'good' loot (scopes, silencers, rifles) every game. I believe the core of the game is the randomized nature of it. Between the different flight paths, circle paths, and loot spawns, every game feels slightly different. That's good IMO.

That's what I was hoping for, completely agree. Enough that map knowledge gets you somewhere but not too much so that each game is still tense and unpredictable. Great to hear it, was the only Q I had left about the game. Now to wait for months.

How are you not banned for posting the same shit literally every time?

We get it, you love Sony and I'm sure if this was on ps4 you'd be all over it.

Top Bottom