• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's ME: Androneda compare to DA: Inquisition

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ive only played ME.

Well, it's basically DA in space, the general flow of the game is basically the same, although DAI offered much better customization options generally speaking. Much stronger character creation too.

Although, imo characters in Andromeda are much, much, much weaker than those in Inquisition.

Stygr

Banned
Inqusition is more fun i think?
I mean Inqusition still has iconic Dragon Age characters and they sold me with Morrigan.

Fury451

Banned
Andromeda is boring. Felt like a chore to play with nothing in the way of wow moments that the other games had.

Inquisition was also boring but it got a lot better after the first area.

Grisby

Inquisition is better in almost every way except the combat. Better story, characters, environments, etc

Of course, Andromeda is a shooter compared to Inquisition.

Rellik

I made it half way through Andromeda and sold it.

I completed Inquisition and all DLC about 4 times.

Inquisition is a better game, though the minute to minute gameplay and combat isnt as frenetic, its a well written story with tons of likeable characters who youll feel attatched to by the end of your journey...something i couldnt say about andromeda.

They both feel like a bad offline MMO to me, which means the missions are shallow tickboxes of uninteresting busywork to add length to the game and waste your precious time.

Inquisition is the better of the two games though.

Harlequin

Inquisition's story is better, though I didn't find Andromeda's to be as terrible as some people on here might have you believe. On average, Inquisition has also got more interesting characters. That's not to say that Andromeda has got no interesting characters, there definitely are a few great ones in there (Kallo, Lexi, Reyes, Peebee, Vetra,...) but there's also a good amount of forgettable ones, as well as a few bad ones. On the other hand, Andromeda features quite a bit less busywork and grinding than Inquisition did (which also makes it a shorter game but I'd count that as a positive seeing as Inquisition's playtime did feel somewhat inflated), though the mission structure and design isn't too dissimilar. Of course, the gameplay itself is quite different, though. Andromeda's combat is far less tactical than Inquisition's and it's a shooter so you can't directly compare the two in that department.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Inquisition is better in almost every way except the combat. Better story, characters, environments, etc

Of course, Andromeda is a shooter compared to Inquisition.

Agreed. Inquisition has its faults, but its still a much better experience than Andromeda.

Eolz

The latter has less bugs and is in a fantasy setting.
That's about it sadly, writing and quests are on the same level (not a good one), but Andromeda has some slightly better combat.

the single-biggest difference? traveling between areas is much more straightforward in inquisition than in andromeda. & it's something that really affects things. i enjoyed both games (inquisition more), but andromeda, unfortunately, is, because of its open-world structure, its own worst enemy :) ...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DA Inquisition offers the most to players familiar and experienced with the lore of the prior games and DLC. On its own, it tells an alright story, but the way it weaves and furthers the overall lore is one of its best strengths, particularly through DLC.

Combat has issues but it's simple to follow and easy to mash through. Lacks any real tactical thrills though, rarely do you alter strategy or approach. Major side quests can feel drowned out by the padded collection faff which is a shame, but Andromeda suffers here too.

Dragon age inquisition is more fulfilling on the campaign aspect. But the side quests are horrible. It even has one of the best ending villains for the series and for any recent Bioware title.

Mass effect andromeda has decent gameplay but ultimately the main campaign feels shallow. Like nothing you do matters in the grand scheme and it ends with an open type of ending where it could continue but does anyone care to?

I made it all the way through Inquisition and liked it for the most part, though it was overly long (Hinterlands Syndrome was probably responsible for at least a bit of that). The palace intrigue quest is still one of my favourite Dragon Age quests.

I spent 15 hours in Andromeda and still need to get back to finish it, but I don't find it nearly as interesting. None of the characters are compelling and I don't care about the story at all. Even going through the dialogue wheels in Andromeda are a pain, and that's probably not a good sign given that Bioware games are all about the dialogue wheel and asking questions of everyone you run into until they run dry of answers.

tcrunch

hexaTMR.png

vs.

Face Tired Meme Capital of 2017 (e: that came out at the same time as Breath of the Wild, Nioh, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn)

I vastly preferred DA:I due to a much more interesting cast of characters and settings, especially with all the DLC. You'll have a much more fleshed out game.

Like ME:A though, you'll enjoy yourself a lot more if you just skip 90% of the filler nonsense. So, so much serves no purpose other than a number somewhere increasing. If you are playing on PC make sure to get some great mods!

I thought gaf hated Dragon Age: Inquisition.
How the fuck, Divinity: Original Sin didnt win RPGOTY?
Dragon age had more people play it.

Plus it came out late in the year, so many were still in the honeymoon stage with it and the year as a whole didn't have much competition.

The hate for inquisition came largely after the game was announced as the gaf game of the year and people realized it had a lot of issues

Sayad

It's a popularity contest, how many people even played D:OS?!

Also, "Gaf" voice is more about the loudest, not the majority, Gaf also hates MGS4 yet voted it GotY TWICE!!

Staf

I found Dragon age much, much better. Especially if you skip all the icons on the map. Unlike ME, the writing is solid and it's got some nice side stories (it's no witcher 3 in this regard though).

Jawmuncher

IMO dragon age Inquistion is far worse than ME:A even when not comparing the gameplay fully. The whole power system chokes you into doing a bunch of side quests you probably don't even want to do and the story needs the DA2 DLC and some prior knowledge of the other games to be more enjoyable than it is as a blank slate.

It has some good ideas but too many odd decisions hold it back.

Zukkoyaki

I wouldn't say GAF as a whole hates Inquisition. But we do have some here who talk about the game like it killed their dog and took their girlfriend.

Divinity didn't win because it's a far more niche game their Dragon Age.

DC1

MEA has:
  1. worst writing
  2. worst graphics/animation
  3. Worst support (considering yesterdays news).

However you should still engage and enjoy it. It's still better than most stuff in the wild.

Inquisition is better in every way, but especially in it's characters, which for Bioware is the core aspect of the game.

Disclaimer: I only played the 10 hour trial of Andromeda.

Second disclaimer: ME trilogy was my favorite series last gen, so I'm not just a hater. I guess?

Inquisition:

• Better writing
  • Better characters
  • Better music
  • Better world-building
Andromeda:

• Better gameplay
  • Better sidequests (in general)
Overall, the two are very similar structurally and essentially follow the same formula. Neither is great, and I hope BioWare moves away from this formula for DA4.

I vastly prefer DA:Inquisition. Similar structure I guess, smaller open world maps with lots of activities, but I thought DA's dialogue and story stuff was far superior. I also enjoy the gameplay more...something about Andromeda's gameplay rubs me the wrong way. Like its gone full on 3rd person shooter, but the TPS mechanics are pedestrian. The auto cover system is also awful.

Staf

Oh, and i do prefer the combat in Dragon age. While the tactical camera isn't perfect, on PS4 anyway, it's still a nice feature and worked surprisingly well. Would prefer a combat system more akin to Divinity:OS though...

I've got the free trial downloaded, but I'm apprehensive about starting it up. I just love Mass Effect too much, so it's like if I don't play it, it can't be as bad as people are saying.

geordiemp

Inquisition:

• Better writing
  • Better characters
  • Better music
  • Better world-building
Andromeda:

• Better gameplay
  • Better sidequests (in general)
Overall, the two are very similar structurally and essentially follow the same formula. Neither is great, and I hope BioWare moves away from this formula for DA4.

Inquisition had awful characters, all hit with a boring ugly stick to boot. Did not care for any of them.

At least MEA had Drack and Pebee fun.

Top Bottom