• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shape of Water (Guillermo Del Toro) - early reviews hitting

-griffy-

Banned
Premiered at the Venice film festival. First of all, Del Toro's statement on the film:
DIiMJ2WUwAAjr4s.jpg:large

Now, reviews.

RottenTomatoes link

Variety:
A ravishing, eccentric auteur's imagining, spilling artistry, empathy and sensuality from every open pore, it also offers more straight-up movie for your money than just about any Hollywood studio offering this year.

Hollywood Reporter:
Stepping away from his big-budget studio work on Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak to return closer to the more artisanal territory of his memorable early Spanish-language films The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro delivers pure enchantment with The Shape of Water. A dark-edged fairy tale as lovingly steeped in vintage movie magic as it is in hypnotic water imagery, this captivating creature feature marries a portrait of morally corrupt early-1960s America with an outsider tale of love and friendship molded by a master storyteller.

The Wrap:
There's something here for lovers of all kinds of movies - even silents and musicals - but del Toro transcends mere pastiche to craft a work that feels like the product of our collective film-going subconscious.

Collider:

4.5/5
The Shape of Water not only entertains as a sumptuous fairytale, but it reinforces a faith in humanity set in a time where tolerance of other races, nationalities, and non-"family values" love was volatile. And it's percolating back to the surface again.

The Guardian:
4/5
Del Toro provides just enough spade-work to keep the scheme plausible and his film is stylish and charming; red meat for the senses with some sugar on top.

The Playlist:
A
It's a film that makes you feel a lot, but overridingly you feel lucky - lucky to be watching it, lucky that something so sincerely sweet, sorrowfully scary and surpassingly strange can exist in this un-wonderful world.

Screen International:

Guillermo del Toro channels all the streams that make him unique into The Shape Of Water, pouring his heart, soul and considerable craft into an exquisite creature fable.

Indiewire:
A
The film is one of the director's most stunningly successful works, it's also a powerful vision of a creative master feeling totally, joyously free.

I dunno how Del Toro snuck this one under the radar as much as he did until the trailer came out, but this might be his best

big ander

"closer to the more artisanal territory of his memorable early Spanish-language films The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth"

All I needed to hear—even if I mostly enjoy like, Blade II and Pacific Rim, I far prefer GDT in this mode. His action-leaning films can feel workmanlike despite being fun, whereas with his more homespun ideas the passion is tangible.

HoJu

I'm just happy that people let him make movies. Nothing he's done since Pans Labyrinth has been grest, but they were at least visually interesting.

I don't know how I came to admire his work but Guillermo Del Toro is amazing at his work. I had a chance to check out the exhibit @ LACMA last year. I really wanted to see the replica of Linda Blair he has in his house but they didn't have it.

I'm excited to catch this film. Pans Labyrinth is still one of my favorite movies. Heck I own a copy of it on Blu Ray unopened.

This looks like a love letter to Creature from the Black Lagoon so naturally I am excited beyond human comprehension

Goddamn GDT knows how to get me

Yessssssss. I was going to see it day one because of my favorite actor ever Michael Shannon, but this gets me even more hyped. I actually didn't mind Crimsom Peak but I'll be super happy for GDT if this does well.

Neophant

I was a little unimpressed with the trailer when it first debuted, but I'm really glad there seems to be far more in the movie than what I originally thought.

Great to read that reviews are great, though we've got months to go. I've been looking forward to this film for a while.

What was middling about Crimson Peak?

Some people didn't care for the "story" I guess. Personally I really enjoyed Crimson Peak though, mostly for the atmosphere.

a916

Um, I feel like I'm usually up to date on upcoming movies, big and small... but how the hell did this one sneak under my radar.

This looks amazing, and Michael Shannon is in this?! Yes please.

This had definitely one of the best trailers ive seen this year. People in the theater were making fun of it when it played before Apes. Felt like i was on another planet, just the trailer almost moved me to tears.

Toa TAK

Banned
Great to see it's getting good reviews. Hopefully it makes bank.

Shannon in this is a nice surprise for me.

I have always gotten the impression that GDT is a pretty wise guy.

Same. When he came to speak before an early showing of Pacific Rim, I was came across him speaking to another audience member in the hallway leading to the seats (went to go get water for my aunt) before the film began and he sort of had this grandfatherly tenderness to him as he listened to this man. I thought it was pretty cool.

Wow. I hadn't heard anything about this.

The idea of taking the Abe Sapien concept and framing it in this kind of narrative is just the kind of thing I have always wanted to see done and Guillermo's exactly the director to do it.

I hope that there isn't any needless attempt to tie it canonically to any cinematic universe, as the trailer just seems to be taking the general idea from an individual Abe Sapien comic and expanding it, without it being literally the character from Hellboy.

I wonder if this could get his Mountains of Madness flick back on track.

I mean, he probably shouldn't try, but I want it so badly.

Regardless, I will just enjoy every film get gets to make.

Aikidoka

That director's statement is pretty lame, but I'll probably still check it out.

edit: Why is it not releasing until December 8th?

Top Bottom