• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Well, I'll be damned, even Persona has taken inspirations from Dark Souls in terms of level design. And God, the dungeon designs are so much better for it. I really hope Itsuno takes a hard look at what Dark Souls did right and takes some good inspirations from level design, boss presentation and similar stuff that can work within a DMC game.

TreIII

Well, I'll be damned, even Persona has taken inspirations from Dark Souls in terms of level design. And God, the dungeon designs are so much better for it. I really hope Itsuno takes a hard look at what Dark Souls did right and takes some good inspirations from level design, boss presentation and similar stuff that can work within a DMC game.

Even more than Dark Souls, I'd honestly hope that Itsuno just continued to look back at what things that Capcom themselves did so well, ages ago. There's still a lot there that can impart lessons, now!

Between how GnG inspired his direction with DMC, and how Dogma itself was something he said was owed to Capcom's DnD arcade games, I have every confidence that Itsuno has more than a couple of ideas of how to re-invent and re-invigorate DMC. Even if he just stayed in-house...

Even more than Dark Souls, I'd honestly hope that Itsuno just continued to look back at what things that Capcom themselves did so well, ages ago. There's still a lot there that can impart lessons, now!

Between how GnG inspired his direction with DMC, and how Dogma itself was something he said was owed to Capcom's DnD arcade games, I have every confidence that Itsuno has more than a couple of ideas of how to re-invent and re-invigorate DMC. Even if he just stayed in-house...
It's always good to look back at things that Capcom themselves have managed to achieve in the past, so no arguments on that. But there is nothing wrong with seeing what other companies have been doing in the meantime and what has worked for them either. They shouldn't really limit themselves to only taking notes from within the company.

How is Persona taking cues from Dark Souls in terms of level design? I've only just finished the first palace, so no specifics please.
Shortcuts. It's the same way you would find lots of unexpected ways that get you back to firelink shrine in Dark Souls 1.

Other Persona games were very straight forward in their design, so this really sticks out.

Kaztinka

They also took a page out of Platinum Games' book when it comes to the first 5-15 minutes of the game being filled with HYPED SHIT!
THAT WAS LIKE THE HYPEST 5-15 MIN I'VE SPENT WITH A GAME IN AGES!

Dahbomb

Bro Dark Souls isn't the first game to have short cuts in their level design...

That has been something even in the RE games since the PS1 games. In fact even before that have short cuts in levels/dungeons been a thing.

Bro Dark Souls isn't the first game to have short cuts in their level design...

That has been something even in the RE games since the PS1 games. In fact even before that have short cuts in levels/dungeons been a thing.
No Dah, you have to play it to understand what I mean. They took heavy inspirations from the interconnected world aspect of Dark Souls. Like, there is a part in the first dungeon that you can almost make one on one comparison with it to the elevator in Dark Souls that brings you back to firelink shrine.

The way it's implemented is very similar to how it is in the souls series.

gunbo13

Yep Bayonetta on steam may mean time to get back to doing those crazy combos.

Now if only I can stop playing Nioh...addicted to the greens.

Golnei

I'm really excited to see what the Bayonetta mod scene will be like.

Going by MGR - probably not too extensive. But I'd love to be wrong; even just being able to port the costumes from 2 in would be amazing. If nobody else does it by the time I get the port, I'll probably put in the Game of Death and Amaterasu colour palettes from Anarchy Reigns in for Bayonetta's default outfit - after Smash Bros., including them is a tradition.

Also, now that I've played the game...

Guys, remember when we asked for this in our DMC5 feedback sheet?

Yeah, it's in Nier. I don't think you can fight bosses in it, but everything else is there. How many enemies you want. Which variation of them. What level do you want them to be. What weapon should they carry. Where do you wanna put them.

It's very detailed, yet very fast and snappy. You don't even have to go in a menu to do all that. Just hold R2 and left side of touch pad and you see the texts above your character's head that lets you do all of that. Doesn't even have a loading.

The debug mode does have a few more limitations than I would have liked (the inability to spawn bosses and certain unique enemies is among them) but its inclusion at all was a pleasant surprise. Something similar would be absolutely be a really useful thing to see implemented officially in character action games as a standard staple alongside a more traditional training room and boss rush - DMC4 has something comparable now after years of fans messing with it; but most games will never reach that point.

Also, in regards to things that Nier does which are worth emulating in the wider action genre, I touched on this in the OT, but since it's relevant I'll repeat it here - the action genre tends to struggle with the meaningful reuse of content, most apparent with DMC1 and 4's boss recycling. Even though those two situations are still quite different, with the repeated bosses in 1 at least being encountered in new arenas that help differentiate the encounters, they're still not quite as effective as what Nier does:

I'm really struck by how effective all of the asset reuse was in this game. So many striking scenarios were put together with a pretty small pool of base models and animations - for example, the standard
infected YoRHa troops, Operator 210, the 2B copies, and the final bosses
were all built off the same template, but were used to great effect as separate encounters without the recycling being their defining factor - compare it to more orthodox examples like the Mistral and Monsoon AIs in MGR.
Adam and Eve, as much as I dislike them as characters, were also the beneficiary of some pretty creative recycling - the first Adam boss, the 2D duo fight, Adam in the copied city, solo Eve and Boxboy all share assets, but every encounter couldn't feel more distinct
. It feels like they got the absolute most out of the work they did, while still not making things feel repetitive or small in scope.

The debug mode does have a few more limitations than I would have liked (the inability to spawn bosses and certain unique enemies is among them) but its inclusion at all was a pleasant surprise. Something similar would be absolutely be a really useful thing to see implemented officially in character action games as a standard staple alongside a more traditional training room and boss rush - DMC4 has something comparable now after years of fans messing with it; but most games will never reach that point.

Also, in regards to things that Nier does which are worth emulating in the wider action genre, I touched on this in the OT, but since it's relevant I'll repeat it here - the action genre tends to struggle with the meaningful reuse of content, most apparent with DMC1 and 4's boss recycling. Even though those two situations are still quite different, with the repeated bosses in 1 at least being encountered in new arenas that help differentiate the encounters, they're still not quite as effective as what Nier does:
Yeah, after messing around with debug for a while, you realize that it still leaves more to be desired. But like you said, it was a really nice surprise, cause honestly you get that waaaay into the game. Nowadays, it's kinda rare to see a game introduce new modes and mechanics to you after 30-40 hours. It was especially surprising in case of Nier cause by the time that you get that, you've already "beaten" the game a few times, without getting any noticeable rewards for doing so (except for unlocking new routes). So, yeah it was cool.

On the topic of reusing assets and how well it's done in Nier, I wanna put some spotlight on their work with environments cause I think they deserve some praise for that as well. Without spoiling anything for the guys who haven't played it yet, they reuse a lot of the same environments in the game, but over time they change them in ways that keep things fresh yet the environments still look and feel familiar. I really liked that about the game.

The same thing applies to enemies and their placements. They change them up as you progress through the game, but do it in a way that you kinda get a feel for it. Overall, I think they did an amazing job of reusing their assets in this game.

This actually makes me wish that SE gives them more time and budget for Nier 3. Automata was made in about two years (maybe even less, since in E3 2015 it was announced as a concept that they've just started working on) and with a small-ish budget (according to Yoko Taro). So I'm really curious and excited to see what Platinum and YT can do with a proper budget and more time.

Dahbomb

Going to be making a DMC GAF Discord channel soon.

I have a feeling that we might have some leaks incoming soon so we probably want a safe place to disseminate that information without fear of getting banned or information getting spread too rapidly.

Discord is up:

Quote to reveal Discord link.

Thank you for doing that Dah, joined.

Anyway, man if there was one game that I was absolutely sure that it wouldn't let me down, it was Persona 5 and yet it turned out to be what we are mostly afraid DMC5 might be, a simple Persona 4.5.

Really disappointed in that game (even tho it's pretty good overall). Come on Itsuno, it's time to show Atlus how to make a come back after nearly a decade.

Dahbomb

All my friends who played P5 are enjoying the hell out of it.

But most of my friends are big weebs and they dig all the high school/waifu crap in Persona.

The dungeon and fighting parts of Persona 5 are actually pretty good and dungeons in particular have been vastly improved upon, but everything else is so disappointing.

As I said, with the exception of characters and story (which I think are worse, but those are subjective) it's simply a better version of Persona 4. It doesn't really use all of the potential that we saw in that game and Persona 3.

Going to be making a DMC GAF Discord channel soon.

I have a feeling that we might have some leaks incoming soon so we probably want a safe place to disseminate that information without fear of getting banned or information getting spread too rapidly.

Discord is up:

Quote to reveal Discord link.

Joined. Looking forward to these leaks .

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've never used Discord in my life outside of using some randomizer bots a long ass time ago. I'll join, but I don't know what I'm doing.

Sesha

I'm tempted to make a community thread with the op consisting of "figure it out for yourself" and then run away and never post in it.

I marched in here with chest out and head held high, with the intention to make a serious post about how I've actually started working on an OP and my grand plans for getting it done, but now I just feel self-conscious and silly.

I marched in here with chest out and head held high, with the intention to make a serious post about how I've actually started working on an OP and my grand plans for getting it done, but now I just feel self-conscious and silly.

Let me know if you need any graphicy stuff. I can do that part.

Sesha

Let me know if you need any graphicy stuff. I can do that part.

I will. I might have you get to work on something very soon, but I'll take this one step at a time. On that note...

---

To everyone frequenting the thread, I need some volunteers to do some short write-ups for the OT. I need summaries for 1-4 + DmC, 4SE and DmC DE, plot synopses for each main game in the series, and character bios for Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish, and Lady.

The summaries should be a short paragraph or a couple shorter paragraphs that lists the selling points/key features, and ideally a quick mention changes from previous entries. Obviously the DmC one will spend a lot of time talking about what's different.

The plot synopsis should be even shorter, no more than 4-5 sentences at best, although don't worry if goes over that. Just hammer something out that gets the broad strokes through. Don't sweat the details too much.

The character bios should be a few sentences long, and summarize the character as you would describe them to someone who hasn't played the games or maybe just one. Don't hesitate to mention gameplay/playstyle and the character's general design. Try to make potential readers care or want to learn more about the character. But don't sweat it. Just gtting it done is more important. For Dante and Vergil, there should ideally be a sentence or two talking about their DmC incarnations, but keep it short and simple and to the point. The plot synopsis will take care of the rest.

Finally, I need an overview and short history of the series, starting with its beginning as RE4. This overview should highlight the developmental side and history of the franchise. For DMC1, this is the place to talk about the impact it had on the industry and gaming as a whole in shaping a new type of action game and its influence on gaming in general (the Souls games for example have obvious influences from DMC). Feel free to mention terms like stylish hard/crazy action. Don't worry about length too much as I'll try to have it trimmed down if I think it's a bit long.

Volunteer list:

Summaries
- DMC
- DMC2
- DMC3
- DMC4
- DMC4SE
- DmC
- DmC DE

Plot synopses
- DMC1
- DMC2
- DMC3
- DMC4
- DmC

Character bios
- Dante
- Vergil
- Nero
- Trish
- Lady

Series overview

If there's anything detail related to what you're writing that you really want to add that you feel should be mention, then by all means..

I will talk more about how the OP will look and what it will contain besides what I've mentioned at a later point, where I will be taking feedback and suggestions from everyone.

Cheers.

Dahbomb

Feels like most of this you can just acquire from a DMC Wiki.

Probably should just make a FAQ instead. Describe each game and what it did right/wrong (so keep summary section). Game series chronology (because this gets asked a lot), outside resources and links to tutorials, combo videos, trailers etc.

I can probably do most of this but not before this weekend.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Feels like most of this you can just acquire from a DMC Wiki.

Yeah. I think a list of resources is probably the most important thing to have.

If there's anything with regard to the series' progression, I think it makes sense to focus on gameplay and advanced techniques throughout the series that have evolved over time.

Dahbomb

The OP should be focused on the new person and why DMC matters or what it brings to the table.

Why do people play this game? What is the allure? How is it different from other similar games? Why is "this party's getting crazy" a synonym for "get hyped"?

Things you can't get from a Wiki and things that represent what GAF sees in DMC as it's all subjective. That's probably of higher value I think.

Freely admitting that I choose to believe that no DMC characters have been shown for MvC Infinite yet because they're saving that for the big E3 hypefest.

"We are proud to announce one of the most popular characters in the DMC franchise. From his effortless way of wielding his trademark katana, to his no-nonsense approach to taking down enemies. Vergil - "*Thunderous applause*"- has been one of the most popular and most requested characters we've had, and we're proud to announce him for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite!"

Then a 30 second DmC Vergil trailer plays.

"We are proud to announce one of the most popular characters in the DMC franchise. From his effortless way of wielding his trademark katana, to his no-nonsense approach to taking down enemies. Vergil - "*Thunderous applause*"- has been one of the most popular and most requested characters we've had, and we're proud to announce him for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite!"

People will riot.

Kaztinka

You monster

Sesha

RE7 performed slightly below expectations at 3.5 out of 4m.

I'm gonna buy ten copies of DMC5 when it launches, lol. We gotta organize Operation Cuhrazy 2: Curayzee Bogaloo and put our money where our mouths are when the time comes.

Dahbomb

RE will have legs and was probably made on a smaller budget too. Will be fine.

But Capcom needs a big hit on their hands after SFV and DR4.

Marvel Infinite so far has been a mixed bag...

You already KNOW what I am going to say so I will just spare everyone.

Top Bottom