• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have $13 in Google Play Credit, No Idea How to Spend It

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been doing the surveys from Google Surveys and I've been doing pretty well for myself. But I fear that I maybe running into a problem. The credit will start to disappear after a year (from surveys) if I don't use it. And I want to, but I don't know what to spend it on.

I am not a big gamer on the mobile. I have solitaire and Super Mario Run for games and I barely touch them.

I'm looking more into productivity apps. Something that can make my life easier and I didn't even know I would need.

And even then, I don't want to put myself in a box. It really could be any app that you think is neat.

I have a Google Nexus 6p if that matters at all.

Although I do use the camera app a lot more than I thought I would since I take a lot of pics with my LO.

louiedog

Are there any free apps you use and love that have an IAP to unlock more features or even just tip the developer? I've done that with my credit even when I didn't need those features.

RamaKun

Due to the Google Survey Rewards app, I always have at least a little bit of money in my Google account.

I just keep buying albums and songs from music artists I want to support.

That or the odd comic now and again in Google Play Books.

I think the credits only expire if you don't spend ANY of them within a year. I've had credits sitting in my account for over a year now and they haven't gone away yet, and I just rent movies once every few months or so.

firelogic

So I've been doing the surveys from Google Surveys and I've been doing pretty well for myself. But I fear that I maybe running into a problem. The credit will start to disappear after a year (from surveys) if I don't use it. And I want to, but I don't know what to spend it on.

I am not a big gamer on the mobile. I have solitaire and Super Mario Run for games and I barely touch them.

I'm looking more into productivity apps. Something that can make my life easier and I didn't even know I would need.

And even then, I don't want to put myself in a box. It really could be any app that you think is neat.

Although I do use the camera app a lot more than I thought I would since I take a lot of pics with my LO.

The timer resets every time you do a survey so as long as you get at least one survey per year, they won't expire. But I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a bunch of credit and don't know what to spend it on hahaha. I'm just hoarding it "just in case" I really need to buy something later. My RPG roots have taken hold where I won't use powerful potions in case I need them later.

Are there any free apps you use and love that have an IAP to unlock more features or even just tip the developer? I've done that with my credit even when I didn't need those features.

Yeah, in fact I have the PowerAMP music app and paid for the pro version.

I'll look at my apps and see if there are pro versions of them

reKon

Banned
Well if no games then that takes things down a bit. You could also wait for some sales and buy some books on Google Play Books or Google Play Movies (I've gotten some great deals from here recently).

In terms of apps that I've purchased, I think these are all great:

Nova Launcher - a must, even if you have a Nexus 6P. The customization here is brilliant and it performs well.

Talon - I know everyone swears by Fenix, but in my eyes, this twitter app is just as good. This or Fenix is the 2nd must buy if you use twitter. I love the look of the transparent widget, the layout of the app, and the theme customization. It's very stable and allows twitter to be more enjoyable to use. I pretty much never miss out on any slickdeals because it's a widget on my home page, lol.

Solid Explorer File Manager - one of the best file managers out there.

Sleep as Android - best sleep monitoring app on Android. The optimal wake up actually works as it wakes up when you're not in a REM cycle.

Unified Remote - let's you remotely control your desktop computer from your phone. You can do things like use the touch screen as a touch pad, shutdown/restart, and control individual apps. I have my desktop hooked up to my 4K TV.

rjinaz

Do you use vudu or any other digital services for movies?

Buy a disney movie and make sure all your accounts are linked to Disney that movie will be added to all your collections (amazon, google, vudu, microsoft, itunes)

I get that you aren't a mobile gamer; I wasn't either but then the Go series changed that for me (Hitman, Deus Ex, Lara Croft).

Kendrick Lamar's "DAMN." should be around that price.

PudieRSC

* Nova Launcher Pro

* Crashlands (Game)

* Shuttle Music Player

As other have said it can also be used on movies, music, etc as well.

Pocket Casts if you listen to podcasts.

The one thing I was looking for was downloading for offline playback because I don't have unlimited data (by choice). It does and I think it'll have a new customer real soon.

Due to the Google Survey Rewards app, I always have at least a little bit of money in my Google account.

I just keep buying albums and songs from music artists I want to support.

That or the odd comic now and again in Google Play Books.

I forgot about purchasing books. I could do that. It was fun times during that phase just buying books off of kindle and reading on the train. I'll look into the google play books.

Nova Launcher Prime

Worth every penny

I had the free version on my One Plus One. I was kinda indifferent about it, but I guess now I can play with the pro version.

I use them for movie rentals, comics, music, or apps. I mean if you can't find a use, you could stop answering surveys.

Better to have credit to spend and not use it than not have credit to spend and pay for it out of pocket.

reKon

Banned
this is maybe the best use of the money

dope, check out:

The Adventure Zone, episode 1.5
The Dollop, episode 12

My only thing with this is that I'm pretty sure that there are free podcasts apps that come close now based on what I've used. I'm not seeing how Pocketcast is 2409234093x better than anything else out there that makes it a MUST purchase. it's not like Android is desolate in this area anymore.

I use my credit to rent movies, which is nice because you can watch the rental on any Youtube app. And unlike iTunes, Google gives you multiple days to watch a movie once you start it, so it makes it easier to share a rental with family/friends. I used to rent exclusively with iTunes, but now it's Google or Amazon.

jokkir

How about Join. It's kinda like Pushbullet, a bit worse, but does the job. And it's a only pay once affair.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, except I have about $45 in credit. The last time I spent any was last year during the Pokemon Go craze. Beyond that, I'm kinda at a lost as to what to spend it on.

I don't game much. Played a little of Super Mario Run, but I wouldn't pay $9.99 for the rest of it. Can't think of any other games I played lately. Pokemon Go last year I guess.

I'd buy a shit ton of books, except I'd rather add them to my kindle, which kind of limits me to Amazon.

I don't mind paying for good apps. I paid for the Pro version of ES File Explorer. That was totally worth it. I paid for GTasks eons ago, although I don't use it much (though I might switch back as I don't like Google Notes). I dunno.

If you haven't rented a movie from the Google Play store in awhile (or ever) there's a good chance that you can rent any movie right now for a dollar. Just log into the Play Store and there should be a clickable promo.

So based on the comments so far again:

Music and Movies - I am not a big fan of pay-to-rent. But as far as music goes, I'm not against that at all. And yes, I already have Kendrick - DAMN.

Nova Launcher Prime - Turns out I already paid for it. Must have been through my One Plus One. Gotta put that on this one now.

Weather Timeline - This is one of those "productivity" apps I was looking for. I would prefer not to have to scroll in Google Now (I think that's what it's called) just to see the basic of basic weather info. So I like this and the fact that it is a widget. So I'm gonna go ahead and look into this one.

Super Hexagon and Go Series - yeah, really not looking into the games, but they do look interesting. I'm not against the abstract style of games either. I played one game where the goal was to make the screen all one color and you do that by hitting the dots on the screen. Forgot the name, but it was addicting.

Pokemon GO - I don't go out often enough. I did play a lot of season one when I a taking public transit to go to work, but not anymore.

Comics - I was REALLY getting into it. I was looking through a lot of the Marvel stuff about a year to two years ago (again, free time on public transit) and then I got to Civil War II and it was like moving through quicksand. That being said, I might just follow the stuff I like. I'll probably look into this more.
Bonus Question - how good are they with releasing the digital copies after the physical copies are out?

Sleep as Android - I'll try the trail out first before I make a decision. I'll see how that goes

Textra - I had Textra (free) and I was kinda meh. But that was an experience with my old phone. It may change again with this one. I'll re-download it and see how I feel about it.

Crashlands - sorry, no games. And I'm really bad with moving via touch screen. That's mostly why I avoided a lot of the action RPG games on mobile. I don't have the patience for it.

Line Stickers - Not that big on social media. Not enough for this.

Join - Looks interesting. I'll give the trial a run.

Thanks and if you have any more suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

And people keep saying go rent a movie. Okay, I'll take a look at what they have. It's the least I can do I guess.

I know that you're not big on games, OP (and neither am I), but I love the following games on Android:

- Threes
- Drop7
- Downwell

The first two are puzzle-type games, while Downwell is a roguelike game. All three games are perfect for quick gameplay sessions. Who knows, maybe you'll like them?

reKon

Banned
So based on the comments so far again:

Music and Movies - I am not a big fan of pay-to-rent. But as far as music goes, I'm not against that at all. And yes, I already have Kendrick - DAMN.

Nova Launcher Prime - Turns out I already paid for it. Must have been through my One Plus One. Gotta put that on this one now.

Weather Timeline - This is one of those "productivity" apps I was looking for. I would prefer not to have to scroll in Google Now (I think that's what it's called) just to see the basic of basic weather info. So I like this and the fact that it is a widget. So I'm gonna go ahead and look into this one.

Super Hexagon and Go Series - yeah, really not looking into the games, but they do look interesting. I'm not against the abstract style of games either. I played one game where the goal was to make the screen all one color and you do that by hitting the dots on the screen. Forgot the name, but it was addicting.

Pokemon GO - I don't go out often enough. I did play a lot of season one when I a taking public transit to go to work, but not anymore.

Comics - I was REALLY getting into it. I was looking through a lot of the Marvel stuff about a year to two years ago (again, free time on public transit) and then I got to Civil War II and it was like moving through quicksand. That being said, I might just follow the stuff I like. I'll probably look into this more.
Bonus Question - how good are they with releasing the digital copies after the physical copies are out?

Sleep as Android - I'll try the trail out first before I make a decision. I'll see how that goes

Textra - I had Textra (free) and I was kinda meh. But that was an experience with my old phone. It may change again with this one. I'll re-download it and see how I feel about it.

Crashlands - sorry, no games. And I'm really bad with moving via touch screen. That's mostly why I avoided a lot of the action RPG games on mobile. I don't have the patience for it.

Line Stickers - Not that big on social media. Not enough for this.

Join - Looks interesting. I'll give the trial a run.

Thanks and if you have any more suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

And people keep saying go rent a movie. Okay, I'll take a look at what they have. It's the least I can do I guess.

Do you use twitter for following shit at least? If so, check out Talon or Fenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom