• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

BiggNife

First of all, I rarely support crowd funding for videogames. That's all there is to it. I will wait and buy a finished product 99.9% of the time. So with that out of the way...

This game won't get made unless they get 1.5m which is by and large a record for indiegogo. That is already an uphill battle. Indiegogo also takes money upfront. I do not like that.

Also you are asking me to take a developers word up front for it in a pitch video when crowd funding has a history of such things changing over time. So, as much as I loved Skullgirls, I don't take their word at face value. You mean to tell me that if they manage like 800k a deal won't be cut to release the game anyway? I honestly don't believe that, We have seen other same the same and the game gets funded anyway. Sorry.

So I will wait and see. I normally don't fund these things and they have a huge gpal on a platform that take my !money right away.
Again, as has been said before, this is a Fixed Funding campaign, not flexible. It's just like a Kickstarter. IGG is not taking the money up front. If the campaign does not go through then you get your money back.

I get that you have issues with crowdfunding, which I understand because quite frankly I share a lot of the same concerns. But I trust Lab Zero way more than I do, say, Comcept (especially considering they had a previous crowdfunding campaign where they followed through on every single thing they said they would more or less on schedule), and I just don't agree with the argument that if it's an uphill battle than it's not even worth trying.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the bolded, unless you're talking about Red Ash which is very much an exception rather than the norm and also sketchy as all hell.

So when is the combat realtime, and when does it take place in a separate VP-inspired phase? The trailer pretty clearly shows both.

As far as I can tell, it's a bit like Earthbound. I could take out smaller fodder with the axe without initiating a full-on battle, but I'd hit other, larger enemies with the axe and it would just count for a pre-emptive strike before initiating a battle.

Playing the prototype would be the best way to get a sense of it.

But it's VP-style battle, but it transitions seamlessly. Camera just moves in and you're fighting. Win, camera moves out and you're platforming.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I think we've got something special here, and the more people that play it, the better our chances are.

I'm at work and can't play the prototype or watch the trailer with sound on, but I definitely will later!

Ravidrath

As far as I can tell, it's a bit like Earthbound. I could take out smaller fodder with the axe without initiating a full-on battle, but I'd hit other, larger enemies with the axe and it would just count for a pre-emptive strike before initiating a battle.

Correct.

If you do more than around 40% of the enemy's health with the intial hit, it won't initiate the battle phase and you can just kill them while exploring.

Crocodile

Just to DC, all pledge tiers at $60 and more get two copies of the game (1 Digital and 1 Physical) right?

And I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the bolded, unless you're talking about Red Ash which is very much an exception rather than the norm and also sketchy as all hell.

It's also important to remember Red Ash got NO MONEY from Kickstarter because they never reached their initial goal.

Anbec7

Urghh... that Roti plushie tier...
I will have to save a little bit for it, why... I never wanted a plushie so bad before!
I backed the original and received more content that I had hoped to in skullgirls so you guys can have my money again :)

NotLiquid

Very polished prototype.

I feel like the boss is a little too difficult and I don't think I'm getting enough feedback from the inputs at times (I couldn't follow up on certain attacks despite me still having meter). I'm also not feeling the voice acting but that's just me. Other than that it's solid.

Busaiku

Urghh... that Roti plushie tier...
I will have to save a little bit for it, why... I never wanted a plushie so bad before!
I backed the original and received more content that I had hoped to in skullgirls so you guys can have my money again :)
You don't get charged until the campaign ends, in case you're worried.
Edit - Actually, this might not be the case with Indiegogo.

Nyoro SF

It only took one page for shitposters to show up. Thought it would take longer.

Anyway I don't think launching this at 6am pst on a Monday was wise. You'll get my bux soon.

Ryne

So which is it? There are people here saying you get charged right away but if the game doesn't get funded you get your money back.

I'd much rather be charged once the game is funded then having sit in some account in case it gets funded.

Ravidrath

Very polished prototype.

I feel like the boss is a little too difficult and I don't think I'm getting enough feedback from the inputs at times (I couldn't follow up on certain attacks despite me still having meter). I'm also not feeling the voice acting but that's just me. Other than that it's solid.

If you play it again, I think you'll find you've got a much better handle on things.

Also, Razmi's down-attack has a powerful slow on it. It can stack twice, and will spare you a lot of damage.

And the voice acting is all temp right now. We just put it in at the last second for flavor, but if we're funded we're planning on going SAG so we draw on a larger talent pool.

It only took one page for shitposters to show up. Thought it would take longer.

Anyway I don't think launching this at 6am pst on a Monday was wise. You'll get my bux soon.

According to IGG and KS's data, this is the best time to launch.

Correct.

If you do more than around 40% of the enemy's health with the intial hit, it won't initiate the battle phase and you can just kill them while exploring.

Cool! This is something that somehow isn't a genre standard, and it blows my mind. Nothing worse than having to deal with cannon fodder you're far stronger than when exploring.

Sent you guys $30. Rooting for you.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Again, as has been said before, this is a Fixed Funding campaign, not flexible. It's just like a Kickstarter. IGG is not taking the money up front. If the campaign does not go through then you get your money back.

No, they DO take money up front. Then if it's not funded you get your money back. This is quite different than KS which takes your money only when funded. One I can plan for. One I have to adjust to on the spot. Then, if not funded, I have to make sure my money does come back to me and there aren't any problems. If there are any problems, I have to make calls, etc.

I like one method. I don't like the other. It's pretty clear cut.

So, which is it?

Indiegogo says: " your contributors get refunded. Transaction fees do not apply for refunded contributions."

Refunded means money was taken.

Correct.

btw, do characters have different special attacks?
The first one I did when I had only Ajna was a heal, but when everyone was together, she did a combo on the enemy.

Was the healing just something to keep my HP up until I got a dedicated healer?

Very polished prototype.

Start healing and the boss becomes quite easy lol.

Lime

pretty amazing weapon sets:

bpaccukmt1hvxvnfjosp.png

NotLiquid

The first one I did when I had only Ajna was a heal, but when everyone was together, she did a combo on the enemy.

Start healing and the boss becomes quite easy lol.

Yeah I've been doing that. I'm mostly having difficulty seeing the attacks coming to block them. I guess I still need to get used to the system though. There's a lot going on when the enemy spawns happen plus I'm not sure what attacks are the most effective (though thanks Ravi for telling me about Razmi's D-Attack).

Just gotta get gud. Still, very well made and promising. It's an example of how every Kickstarter should be - have a solid, demonstrable prototype/demo and pitch from the start.

Ravidrath

Depends on what weapon she has equipped.

Martial Arts, it's a full party revive and a small heal.

Axe, it's a damaging combo.

In the final game you'll be able to change Ajna's weapons in battle, but we ran out of time before we could get that into the prototype.

K.Sabot

The playable prototype is great. The game feels amazing in its early stages, movement and controls are as tight as Skullgirls for the platforming, so the out of combat sections are very entertaining.

I appreciate that you guys have the game straight up playable when the kickstarter starts. This allows people to play the prototype, see if the game if for them and back accordingly. Most people would just promise the world, show a couple pieces of art / render targets and give a personal message as to why their type of game needs to exist.

I know it might not make as much money because people will be able to figure out the game is / isn't for them right now rather than when it releases, but it really gives me a lot more faith in the kickstarter process.

Anbec7

I know but I'm torn... I mean the 100 tier is OK for my needs but the goddamn plushie

I think I can upgrade my tier later on right? in the meantime the 100 tier it is.

Yeah I've been doing that. I'm mostly having difficulty seeing the attacks coming to block them. I guess I still need to get used to the system though. There's a lot going on when the enemy spawns happen plus I'm not sure what attacks are the most effective (though thanks Ravi for telling me about Razmi's D-Attack).

Just gotta get gud. Still, very well made and promising. It's an example of how every Kickstarter should be - have a solid, demonstrable prototype/demo and pitch from the start.
Oh okay. Yeah, my strategy for that was waiting for the borders of the screen to get yellow then I always blocked with L1. No time to see who the boss would attack =P

For multiple enemies just use up attack, I know at least Ajna and the third guy hit multiple enemies with that, and since they're weak enemies, they die super fast.
Depends on what weapon she has equipped.

Martial Arts, it's a full party revive and a small heal.

Axe, it's a damaging combo.

In the final game you'll be able to change Ajna's weapons in battle, but we ran out of time before we could get that into the prototype.
Aaah, so that's what it was.

I didn't even think about unequipping the axe lol.

That's awesome, thanks for the explanation.

Lime

This looks ten times more interesting than that Valkyrie Profile spiritual successor that tri-ace is doing.

NotLiquid

Oh yeah, question.

Don't know if this was mentioned anywhere, but this game will totally have a combo counter in the full game right?

Timeaisis

I have to say, I'm impressed you guys are very upfront about your budget. It ain't cheap to make a game (especially one like this). Hopefully, the goodwill you guys earned from Skullgirls translates to this being a success. I think it can work. Art looks marvelous, as usual.

Best of luck!

For that high of a goal... I don't know. Games that tend to make that much money have some influence of nostalgia behind them either in the developers or being a direct spiritual successor of something. It might be inspired by these games but it doesn't seem to have team members of those titles. If this game had any chance of making it it was via Kickstarter

Shahed

Any word on what the setting/narrative will be like? As much as I loved Valkyrie Profile's combat and music, the Norse setting was also a large part of it's appeal.

Busaiku

So which is it? There are people here saying you get charged right away but if the game doesn't get funded you get your money back.

I'd much rather be charged once the game is funded then having sit in some account in case it gets funded.

No, they DO take money up front. Then if it's not funded you get your money back. This is quite different than KS which takes your money only when funded. One I can plan for. One I have to adjust to on the spot. Then, if not funded, I have to make sure my money does come back to me and there aren't any problems. If there are any problems, I have to make calls, etc.

I like one method. I don't like the other. It's pretty clear cut.

So, which is it?

Indiegogo says: " your contributors get refunded. Transaction fees do not apply for refunded contributions."

Refunded means money was taken.
Ahh, sorry, I just assumed it worked like other services.
I did get charged for my contribution, but I chocked it up to standard PayPal verification stuff.
I might be in the wrong here.

DrArchon

Any word on what the setting/narrative will be like? As much as I loved Valkyrie Profile's combat and music, the Norse setting was also a large part of it's appeal.

The Indiegogo page has that info. The setting is primarily South-East Asian inspired but the adventure will be "globetrotting" in nature.

Cmagus

Very polished prototype.

The boss destroyed me the first time. I dove off the edge and landed right by him and next thing I know I'm in a fight and then dead on the ground he genuinely caught me off guard lol. Razmi's healing special is a god send in that fight, I pretty much just kept my special for her healing special and just maintained the fight.

Ravidrath

Game starts in a fantasy Southeast Asian setting, and then expands to the whole world.

Regions inspired by various regional mythologies and cultures, i.e. a South American city inspired by Incan/Mayan/Aztec stuff.

Characters will come from all of those regions, too, and... I guess will probably be mostly brown because of it!

Instro

For that high of a goal... I don't know. Games that tend to make that much money have some influence of nostalgia behind them either in the developers or being a direct spiritual successor of something. It might be inspired by these games but it doesn't seem to have team members of those titles. If this game had any chance of making it it was via Kickstarter

Kind of thinking the same. Unfortunately this is going to have a tough time making its goal. Definitely not at its current pace.

Shahed

The Indiegogo page has that info. The setting is primarily South-East Asian inspired but the adventure will be "globetrotting" in nature.

Game starts in a fantasy Southeast Asian setting, and then expands to the whole world.

Regions inspired by various regional mythologies and cultures, i.e. a South American city inspired by Incan/Mayan/Aztec stuff.

Characters will come from all of those regions, too, and... I guess will probably be mostly brown because of it!

Sounds interesting. I guess I'll give the prototype a shot when I get back in from work

NEO0MJ

I just noticed that you guys will fly the $20k backer to you. That's pretty cool.

The boss destroyed me the first time. I dove off the edge and landed right by him and next thing I know I'm in a fight and then dead on the ground he genuinely caught me off guard lol. Razmi's healing special is a god send in that fight, I pretty much just kept my special for her healing special and just maintained the fight.

Razmi's the reason you can will this fight at all, period. Without heal or slow I feel the boss will be able to attack to often to beat.

I hope that means we'll get an arab character.

Kind of thinking the same. Unfortunately this is going to have a tough time making its goal. Definitely not at its current pace.
It has been an hour and fifty-nine minutes. Let's at least give it a day. You are right about this being a tough goal to reach, though.

Comet

Love the art design and initial concept. Since we have a user from the development studio, I wonder if you could answer why the fusion between Valkyrie Profile gameplay and Metroid exploration? Any specific impetus for that idea?

Ravidrath

Love the art design and initial concept. Since we have a user from the development studio, I wonder if you could answer why the fusion between Valkyrie Profile gameplay and Metroid exploration? Any specific impetus for that idea?

Valkyrie Profile is a platformer/RPG.

RPGs typically have a large exploration component, even though VP doesn't really because of its time limit.

Metroid is an exploratory platformer.

So... it all seemed to flow pretty naturally, to us?

Crayolan

Dang this game is pretty. Will probably back later this month but that's a pretty lofty goal you've got. To be honest I don't think this can make it, but I hope it does.

In a word? Varied
Looks like we'll be going everywhere from Japan to Central America. This train don't stop in Southeast Asia. Can't wait for some high res artworks down the road.

Top Bottom