• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by slowly killing the 3DS

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Can't wait for fzero to come back..

On the 3ds 😍😍😍😍

Great stuff from polygon yet again.

Kamina

Golden Boy
3DS complements Switch nicely. I think both can exist besides each other for another year easily.
However, Nintendo wants to do a new Handheld too.

It's not like 3DS has too much left from Nintendo. Metroid is Probably the only thing good left. Pokémon seems like a pretty unambitious sequel/expansion pack and most other stuff seems like filler or remakes.

It'll die off soon enough but there's probably money to be made

How are they wrong?

Is there anyone who’s seriously happy that Metroid game is coming out on 3DS?

Because Polygon wrote it. If Jim Sterling said it people would be coming out of the woodworks to agree, but since it's Kuchera (don't get me wrong, he's pretty hacky) he's clearly an idiot and the idea is stupid--despite the fact that focusing on 1 platform has been Nintendo's plan for quite a while now, hence why they released a "hybrid" system rather than a new handheld or a new console. They realize they don't/can't get 3rd party support, so they want to focus all the dev studios they can on a single device so they can get 1 major title out a month and keep sales going. Having 2 platforms to develop for makes that impossible.

I don't completely disagree with the guy but I'd argue they're already planning on doing that. Most of Nintendo's own series are making their way to the Switch, like Fire Emblem and Pokemon, with the 3DS mainly being supported by 2nd / 3rd party developers. Nintendo's probably just gonna keep it around as a cheap alternative with a huge library of games to offer, even though it's not getting much internal support from Nintendo, alongside the Switch till 3DS sales slow to a crawl

Goo

When a new console is announced, all games and systems from the previous gen should stop being sold. Turn off all online services for previous systems too. Stop confusing customers! /s

3DS/2DS is in a great spot in terms of price and has a great library of games. Too soon to kill it.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean so they honestly expect Nintendo to keep supporting 3DS after they can produce more Switch systems and/or lower costs.
The next Pokémon game after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is coming to Switch, not 3DS.

What's even the point of the article then.

Maybe they're scared Nintendo will for whatever reason not do that? Lol, I dunno. It is pretty silly to make this article after something like Pokemon and co. is confirmed for the Switch.

That said, the article is not saying the 3DS should die off immediately, so a lot of these posts are quite odd in how they're managing to perceive the article as stating otherwise.

Chauzu

As much as I agree that the 3DS needs to die, it's not going to happen until Switch sales reasonably make up for it, why kill your previous console just because your new one has been doing well for a few months since launch? Especially when the 3DS still has new games coming down the pipe.

Personally hoping from 2018 onwards they move all their dev teams to the Switch.

All their internal dev teams are already moving on? Basically every upcoming 3DS game from Nintendo is outsourced. Exceptions are Kirby and Pokémon, but we know both of these have main series games under development for Switch.

ohlawd

How are they wrong?

Is there anyone who's seriously happy that Metroid game is coming out on 3DS?

sure. Samus Returns has the map and all that good stuff on the bottom screen. I'd buy the 3DS version over a Switch version hands down.

applies to RPGs too. probably most genres unless the game is heavily dependent on performance like Fire Emblem Warriors. otherwise I'll take the resolution and fps drops it doesn't bother me much

People really don't bother to read the article lol

I'll admit I skimmed it. That was more in reference to the posts I've seen in other threads (and on other Nintendo forums I frequent) that called for the 3DS being dead and buried the second the Switch launched.

watershed

Banned
This is some silly ass reasoning. There are not only people who own a 3ds, but actually people looking forward to buying a 2dsxl and playing games that are not on the Switch but are on the 3ds. Nintendo should continue trying to satisfy these people.

Eusis

Nintendo can give its fans an amazing gift by... not supporting the game system they sold them, I guess?

This sounds real dumb, who wrote this?

OH OF COURSE, BEN FUCKING KUCHERA, WHO ELSE?
My first thought was "God dammit Ben Kuchera" and sure enough!

Making all future titles also hit Switch would've been nice admittedly. Don't need to smother the 3DS in its sleep though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
How are they wrong?

Switch is getting one too. Don't really see the problem.

Personally I like it just because I have a 3DS, and the grand gift of a Switch is something I can't really justify given its current availability and lineup.

Shahadan

Yes, stop selling a device that people are still buying and that probably cost you less $30 dollars to make by now. Such a smart idea.

Time for a Polygon Chart™

Hy7RmRG.png

dying

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo is lucky they have polygon to advise them on their business decisions, they should fire all the people responsible for making billions of dollars with two lines of really fucking popular hardware and bet it all on switch!

This is some silly ass reasoning. There are not only people who own a 3ds, but actually people looking forward to buying a 2dsxl and playing games that are not on the Switch but are on the 3ds. Nintendo should continue trying to satisfy these people.

We're talking about a corporation here. Not the Make a Wish Foundation.

RalchAC

I don't see anybody confusing the 3DS and a Switch honestly.

Yeah. The Switch marketing has been pretty spot on so far.

In any case, I doubt people will be confused. The market is aware about both products and knows the Switch is here to stay. Releasing a few games this year won't change that.

People has always complained about Nintendo dropping systems like a rock like 12-18 months before the launch of a new device. The 3DS has had a really solid line up until now and people complain.

A handheld needs little space. There is no harm in having both in your room.

Chauzu

As someone who has moved on from 3DS, I have a hard time to be legit happy about a new Metroid being 3DS exclusive, but I am truly happy for the franchise. Prime 4 will be fantastic, but I hope they let Mercury Stream continue making 2D Metroid games as well in the future.

Gsnap

Seems pretty clear they already are doing that. All the main stuff is on switch, and even handheld focused games like Pokémon and fire emblem are getting mainline switch games. 3ds makes money and is a good cheap system with a wonderful library for budget consumers and kids/families. I too am disappointed that games like samus returns aren't at least getting switch versions, but ultimately it's gonna be good for them to just keep selling 3ds's as long as people are willing to buy them and slowly phase development over to switch. Which again, is what they seem to be doing.

Maybe they're scared Nintendo will for whatever reason not do that? Lol, I dunno. It is pretty silly to make this article after something like Pokemon is confirmed for the Switch.

That said, the article is not saying the 3DS should die off immediately, so a lot of these posts are quite odd in how they're managing to perceive the article as stating otherwise.
That's the thing. The premise of the entire article is pointless since the 3DS is very clearly in its twilight years anyway.

There are a couple of reasons it still lingers on:
1. Switch shortages
2. It attracts a different (possibly much more diverse) group of consumers with its price range and large library of games.

These reasons will fade naturally with time as the Switch builds it userbase, continually expands its library and the price comes down enough to include other consumer groups.

Some point in the future, there will be people complaining that the Switch is getting games and needs to be killed.
No doubt. And I will be the one defending the Switch not being completely cut off. I like the products I buy to have a long lifespan after all. Did the same for DS (when 3DS was new) and PS2 (when PS3 was new) etc.

Maybe they're scared Nintendo will for whatever reason not do that? Lol, I dunno. It is pretty silly to make this article after something like Pokemon and co. is confirmed for the Switch.
For 2019.

For 2019.

I really don't get how hard it is for some folks to understand that it isn't unreasonable for people to want Nintendo to focus on their new system. There is zero reason for Samus Returns to not get a downloadable release for Switch.

It must suck to be a Switch owner and be this perpetually salty over the 3DS
It's pretty weird. Like, I'd get more upset if Switch didn't have a fantastic line up and we were getting FE, Pokémon, and Metroid only on 3DS with no Switch announcement, but it's announced that they're moving on.
I don't think the 3DS has anything too interesting announced that I'd kill for on Switch, so to speak.
For 2019.

For 2019.

I really don't get how hard it is for some folks to understand that it isn't unreasonable for people to want Nintendo to focus on their new system. There is zero reason for Samus Returns to not get a downloadable release for Switch.
A date was never given

Gardios

Nintendo can give me this amazing "gift" when I can actually find a Switch in stores and not have to be paying $569 CDN on Amazon to get one.

Until then I'll do just fine with my 3DS.

Polygon is seriously underestimating the vast amounts of people that can't just buy a $300 console for their kids (or themselves) but could maybe spare $80 for a 2DS. I don't think many people would toil over the decision; the two devices are in entirely different leagues.

Not to mention, this thinking goes counter to the foundation of the majority of successful products, which is to give people choice. There's a reason we have diet coke, coke zero, caffeine free coke, caffeine free diet coke, coca-cola life, cherry coke, vanilla coke, and classic coca-cola: because satisfying a multitude of needs and preferences is more profitable than removing choices and trying to force a "definitive" experience.

Plum

Considering what the article says they should be doing is exactly what Nintendo is doing, what's the point of the article? It's blindingly obvious now that both mainline Pokemon and mainline FE have been announced for Switch that 3DS will be all but dead come the end of 2018.

A lot of the "Nintendo should scrap the 3DS!" talk seems to just be thinly veiled port begging for the two-or-maybe-three outsourced/rehashed games people care about. Would ya'll really be clamouring for Nintendo to go all "Old Yeller" on the 3DS if Metroid and a Pokemon full-price expansion hadn't been announced?

ZeoVGM

Banned
How are they wrong?

They announced two new Metroid games. One for the 3DS and one for the Switch.

It's absolutely ridiculous to complain about that. This is basic business. You don't just drop a console overnight because you have a new one out. The smart thing to do is to continue to mildly support (which is what this is -- mild support) the old console if it's still doing well for a year or so after the new console is out

Polygon could give internet an amazing gift by gradually introducing quality control.
Imagine how hard would it be to buy a Switch if they did a core Pokemon on it this summer

LotusHD

Banned
That's the thing. The premise of the entire article is pointless since the 3DS is very clearly in its twilight years anyway.

There are a couple of reasons it still lingers on:
1. Switch shortages
2. It attracts a different (possibly much more diverse) group of consumers with its price range and large library of games.

These reasons will fade naturally with time as the Switch builds it userbase, continually expands its library and the price comes down enough to include other consumer groups.

Well yea, I agree.

For 2019.

For 2019.

The year is unconfirmed, and even then, and? It going to the Switch cements that they plan on killing the 3DS slowly, as it was that last big franchise to worry about. No shit we'd all love if at the very least the Switch got to share titles with the 3DS, but apparently Nintendo doesn't want to do that. And of course, as we all know by now, they're not gonna immediately kill it off.

oti

Banned
Polygon: Nintendo can give fans an amazing gift by losing a shit ton of money because we say so I mean how does business even work this is my opinion lol

redcrayon

The few remaining first party 3DS games (and hardware for that matter) we know about were greenlit long before the Switch launch, as a sensible backup plan, with no idea if it was going to be this successful. I can't imagine them approving anything else that isn't dirt cheap, outsourced or both. The situation looks worse than it is because of the healthy stream of late localisations, something fairly common on the portables and that the Switch will eventually benefit from in time.

When they are no longer talking about 3DS games on release without talking about the upcoming Switch game too, it's pretty obvious that virtually all of their focus going forward is already on the Switch. I'd be surprised if 3DS development took up even 5% of their resources now, it's not even four months after the Switch launched and they can't make them fast enough. Not really sure why even that isn't a fast enough transition, it seems like some pundits wouldn't have been happy unless the Switch launch video had it literally being played outdoors on top of a gravestone with the dual screen icon chiselled info it.

Top Bottom