• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
People kept saying but I just brushed it off as wishful thinking.

I was wrong.This game finally pulled JRPGs from utter story telling mediocrity of the past decade+ or so.(imo)

Heh, I had faith even before I finally got around to watching Nier for myself (Didn't really like Drakengard 3 though), but even then, that it'd definitely be a GOTY contender, but I still didn't know just how great this game would be.

----
Slant with the 5/5 lol

http://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/nier-automata

Do they show your first time through? Can't remember. Best to tackle on your second run through due to
Hacking makes them a breeze

Yeah I'm on route A. Guess that's why I'm having such a hard time. I've already beaten two though. How many are there? If there is only one more, it may still be worth it to finish them on this route

ramyeon

Yeah I'm on route A. Guess that's why I'm having such a hard time. I've already beaten two though. How many are there? If there is only one more, it may still be worth it to finish them on this route
It's not worth fighting them on that route, there's no benefit to doing so and it would take ages.

JJShadow

Do you guys know where can I find a Pristine screw? Got 4 for the
Machine Examination
sidequest, but I gave one to
Servo
and there are no more red areas on the map to get them. Also went to the desert to fight that Goliath Biped but it doesn't seem to respawn anymore

ramyeon

Do you guys know where can I find a Pristine screw? Got 4 for the
Machine Examination
sidequest, but I gave one to
Servo
and there are no more red areas on the map to get them. Also went to the desert to fight that Goliath Biped but it doesn't seem to respawn anymore
The enemies for that quest do respawn, but I'm not sure what triggers it. I had to kill myself to trigger it.

ramyeon

Okay so I made it back to where I got screwed over.

What the hell is the point of Berserk if it just kills you?
You can keep it going indefinitely if you heal yourself before your HP gets too low - this can be done easily with chips that heal you for enemies killed etc.

I does massive amounts of damage and can obliterate bosses.

It's a risk/reward thing but the risk can be offset to the point of it being non existent.

You can keep it going indefinitely if you heal yourself before your HP gets too low - this can be done easily with chips that heal you for enemies killed etc.

I does massive amounts of damage and can obliterate bosses.

It's a risk/reward thing but the risk can be offset to the point of it being non existent.

By that point of the game, I had maxed out every recovery item, or you can equip offensive healing chips so you stay alive as you keep killing.

PKoUlut.png

Having some weird bugs here. At one time I couldn't talk to anyone in the village. Not even the vendors. Even saving and quitting didn't work. I was afraid I'd have to restart the game, but thankfully warping to the bunker and back sold the issue. Then, right now I was fighting
red and white version of
F
ather
S
ervo
and 75% through the match the game completely glitched out. My character got stuck in the terrain and could only move with the dodge move. Melee hits stopped registering 80% of the time. I had to finish him off with gatlin gun bullets dealing 2 damage each, and the fight took a lot longer than it should have, costing me twice as many items as it should have.

I was hoping that would have been the final form, but looks like there'll be another one. Not sure if I can deal with it, already this one was tedious

ramyeon

Having some weird bugs here. At one time I couldn't talk to anyone in the village. Not even the vendors. Even saving and quitting didn't work. I was afraid I'd have to restart the game, but thankfully warping to the bunker and back sold the issue. Then, right now I was fighting
red and white version of
F
ather
S
ervo
and 75% through the match the game completely glitched out. My character got stuck in the terrain and could only move with the dodge move. Melee hits stopped registering 80% of the time. I had to finish him off with gatlin gun bullets dealing 2 damage each, and the fight took a lot longer than it should have, costing me twice as many items as it should have.

I was hoping that would have been the final form, but looks like there'll be another one. Not sure if I can deal with it, already this one was tedious
Leave it until Route B, trust me.

Ruff

After ending spoilers

what's the best chapter to go back to do all the side content I missed?
I hear different quests are not all available at the same time or on certain routes

Edit: I'll say thanks for the answers here :D

red and white version of
F
ather
S
ervo

Did you accidentally hit someone? You can't interact with NPCs when you're in combat.

Slater

Banned

I was wrong.This game finally pulled JRPGs from utter story telling mediocrity of the past decade+ or so.(imo)

Nier came out in 2010 tho, there's a reason it became a cult classic in the first place you know.

It's main cast is still one of the best of all time and still beats Automata's to.

Ourobolus

Banned
After playing Hard Mode for a bit (up to the first part of Route C):

(I already Plat the game on Normal)

Auto-Item is useless, since MOST things kill you in one hit. If you get Melee/Ranged Defense Chips then it helps, but yeah, Auto-Item is largely useless.
Auto-Heal and Deadly Heal are your friends. Once you start stacking defense skills, then these are what you want.
9S definitely needs Ranged Attack power. Sure, you can in theory survive with melee and dodging, but there are times when you will want the extra ranged power (Eve, for instance).

Pretty certain there's only three groups you fight to finish it up.

cool, thanks!

That's proper bizarre. Fighting them on Route A sounds like a nightmare.

i have a lot of patience, after they killed me once i had to get them back though

Leave it until Route B, trust me.

lol ok

maybe i'll give it just one shot on route a though

Did you accidentally hit someone? You can't interact with NPCs when you're in combat.

i don't think so, because i could still interact with quest givers and a couple of other characters, but not with anyone else

the prompt to speak came up, but nothing happened when i pressed circle

After ending spoilers

I hear different quests are not all available at the same time or on certain routes
The start of chapter 7 will be the best place for sidequests introduced in the A/B route. 9S would be preferred as well, since you may run across locked chests you missed out on before. I know he has some exclusive side quests, though I can't recall if any are exclusive to 2B.

Jiraiza

After ending spoilers

Best chapter to do sidequests is the one that takes you to the Forest Kingdom.

Moonkid

So I finished Route B/started Route C this weekend. I feel a tad burnt out and with other priorities it'll probably be a wee while before finishing the whole game so I think I may as well post some impressions.

Route A+B spoilers:

Getting music out of the way, while it wasn't necessarily underwhelming there weren't that many tracks which blew me away or grabbed me and refused to let go. Coming from the first game my expectations were high and sadly it didn't really meet them. None of the zone-themes come close to Song of the Ancients and aside from the Desert Housing song they're kinda average in my opinion.

Boss music on the other hand probably reach higher highs with Simone and Soshi's tunes. Adam and Eve's songs are neat too and it was rad hearing arrangements of songs from the first game appear whenever they did. Grandma in particular was dope, the latter half of the main melody when the tenors come in gives me chills every time. S/O to J'Nique Nicole, she kills it every time.

As for how the music was used though the game really excels. The dynamic transitions from instrumental to sung and chiptune are all virtually seamless and music hits a lot of great dramatic beats. The chanting during Adam's birth, the vocals when the power goes off for Soshi, lots of great stuff. Loved the ending songs for side quests too, was wondering when the inevitable acoustic piece would come in. I also thought the children singing in Pascal's village was a nice touch.

Gameplay I have nothing much to say about, shit's A1. Hacking is usually fun and I like how they use it to play with form - the house we find when finished with hacking Eve is classic.

On the story side, I don't really feel attached to these characters. 2B's arc sporadically appeared throughout the first playthough and by the time she's crying over 9S it didn't feel earned. 9S on the other hand feels more coherent and I'm curious to see where his character goes. Not to say the wider story isn't compelling, the dynamics between Androids and machines are presented intriguingly and the diversity of the machines is fantastic.

Finally, I think it's interesting how the first game used classic fairy tale characters for bossess and Automata uses philosophers. Kinda shows the different focuses each game has.

Xliskin

So I finished Route B/started Route C this weekend. I feel a tad burnt out and with other priorities it'll probably be a wee while before finishing the whole game so I think I may as well post some impressions.

Route A+B spoilers:

Getting music out of the way, while it wasn't necessarily underwhelming there weren't that many tracks which blew me away or grabbed me and refused to let go. Coming from the first game my expectations were high and sadly it didn't really meet them. None of the zone-themes come close to Song of the Ancients and aside from the Desert Housing song they're kinda average in my opinion.

Boss music on the other hand probably reach higher highs with Simone and Soshi's tunes. Adam and Eve's songs are neat too and it was rad hearing arrangements of songs from the first game appear whenever they did. Grandma in particular was dope, the latter half of the main melody when the tenors come in gives me chills every time. S/O to J'Nique Nicole, she kills it every time.

As for how the music was used though the game really excels. The dynamic transitions from instrumental to sung and chiptune are all virtually seamless and music hits a lot of great dramatic beats. The chanting during Adam's birth, the vocals when the power goes off for Soshi, lots of great stuff. Loved the ending songs for side quests too, was wondering when the inevitable acoustic piece would come in. I also thought the children singing in Pascal's village was a nice touch.

Gameplay I have nothing much to say about, shit's A1. Hacking is usually fun and I like how they use it to play with form - the house we find when finished with hacking Eve is classic.

On the story side, I don't really feel attached to these characters. 2B's arc sporadically appeared throughout the first playthough and by the time she's crying over 9S it didn't feel earned. 9S on the other hand feels more coherent and I'm curious to see where his character goes. Not to say the wider story isn't compelling, the dynamics between Androids and machines are presented intriguingly and the diversity of the machines is fantastic.

Finally, I think it's interesting how the first game used classic fairy tale characters for bossess and Automata uses philosophers. Kinda shows the different focuses each game has.

This is exactly my impressions on A+B wait till you play C route I'm blown away by how good this route is

Daouzin

On the story side, I don't really feel attached to these characters. 2B's arc sporadically appeared throughout the first playthough and by the time she's crying over 9S it didn't feel earned.

I think a lot of people agree until they complete the game fully.

If you still feel this way after completing everything, I think a lot of people can explain it.

Haha.

LotusHD

Banned
I think a lot of people agree until they complete the game fully.

If you still feel this way after completing everything, I think a lot of people can explain it.

Haha.

I mean I liked it all, but it's clear that finishing the whole game just makes you go "Whoa..." once everything falls into place.

Voliko

Putting aside that there have been plenty of JRPGs with great stories in the past decade, you are literally describing the original Nier.

Daouzin

I mean I liked it all, but it's clear that finishing the whole game just makes you go "Whoa..." once everything falls into place.

Yup

I just can't stop thinking about everything.

I'll be watching/listening to Drakengard/Nier explanation videos for the next few days.

I really hope they release a Drakengard Collection on PS4. If they included Nier that would be a nice touch.

D-Man

I just spent 9 hours playing this today and I'm loving every moment of it. The original NieR ended up becoming one of my favorite PS3 games and Automata just seems like that game, but better. It's a lot of fun and I can't wait to see where all the multiple endings go.

My only issue so far is the cast. I like 2B and 9S a lot, but NieR's party is one of my favorite group of characters of all time and there doesn't seem to be as much as of a group dynamic in this one. It's not bad, but it's one of the few things I don't like as much as the first game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I hit a point of no return in route A and screwed myself out of a bunch of side activities. Doing Route B now and there are no side quests at all. Am I fucked on finished those or do you get an opportunity at some point?

LotusHD

Banned
So I hit a point of no return in route A and screwed myself out of a bunch of side activities. Doing Route B now and there are no side quests at all. Am I fucked on finished those or do you get an opportunity at some point?

Nothing is permanently missable.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lotus you've finished the game like 578 times right?

Aalvi

Errrr so as far as story goes in games, would you guys say this is the best so far in 2017?

I regret cancelling my preorder, but I got zelda and it seemed stupid to buy the game knowing I probably wouldnt play it.

I even had to cancel MEA(forced myself so it doesnt call out to me distracting me from studies).

I liked the original Nier story, thought the gameplay and other aspects to be bland.

LotusHD

Banned
Lotus you've finished the game like 578 times right?

Maybe.

Errrr so as far as story goes in games, would you guys say this is the best so far in 2017?

I regret cancelling my preorder, but I got zelda and it seemed stupid to buy the game knowing I probably wouldnt play it.

I even had to cancel MEA(forced myself so it doesnt call out to me distracting me from studies).

Well it's not like I've played everything, so I'll be nice and say it's Top 3 at the very least. Nothing is gonna be as weird and compelling as this game imo

Top Bottom