• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

tauke

So I grabbed this on the sale, and I patched it for glorious 60 fps.

Any tips for a new player? the fusing stuff confuses me (pun intended), and I'm unsure what difficulty level to play at.

Well I played on Hard although I've yet to beat the game. If you don't mind, moderate seems ok for first timer as Hard means lesser EXP for higher items drop rate.

You can always change the difficulty level anytime.

Lanrutcon

Well I played on Hard although I've yet to beat the game. If you don't mind, moderate seems ok for first timer as Hard means lesser EXP for higher items drop rate.

You can always change the difficulty level anytime.

Should I just burn through easy to get to new game plus and then jack it up to hard?

tauke

Should I just burn through easy to get to new game plus and then jack it up to hard?

If you're in for the story (which I think is meh for me coming from other Tales series), Easy mode is ok but you're losing out on the Grade points which is needed to unlock a few stuff for New Game Plus.

Hopefully someone here that have beaten the game can offer you a better advice since I only completed Abyss and Vesperia.

Play on hard so you can get the next difficulty, then play on that so you can get the next difficulty and then once more to get the final difficulty. The game is way better on the difficulty above hard since you can actually use skills and your characters efficiently and get better rewards.

Definitely lower on the bosses if its too tough, you can always get the achievements for them later.

BokehKing

Banned
Just picked this up, about two hours in and I can't tell you how good it feels to play a Tales again.

I of course for started with symphonia like a total tales noob, and then played Legendia, which at first I did not like but thought it was so awesome how after you beat the game there is this whole pretty lengthy playable epilogue it felt like.

Anyway, I bought a Wii for symphonia 2 but hated it, tried xilia and didn't like that one either. But I have faith for this one. Anyway, rant over, I probably will play a little longer and then go to sleep.

aitakute

Just picked this up, about two hours in and I can't tell you how good it feels to play a Tales again.

I of course for started with symphonia like a total tales noob, and then played Legendia, which at first I did not like but thought it was so awesome how after you beat the game there is this whole pretty lengthy playable epilogue it felt like.

Anyway, I bought a Wii for symphonia 2 but hated it, tried xilia and didn't like that one either. But I have faith for this one. Anyway, rant over, I probably will play a little longer and then go to sleep.

Good for you. I don't think Zestiria is as bad as people say. It has flaws but not unplayable

BokehKing

Banned
Good for you. I don't think Zestiria is as bad as people say. It has flaws but not unplayable
It seems deeper combat system wise compared to other takes games I have purchased in the past.

The only thing I don't like was in the beginning, it was supposed to be mist or clouds passing through a village and it looked pretty shitty, besides that it has the usual Tales charm.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ToZ story is average with a decent cast. Most of the issues with the game is the camera system and some of the systems. The equipment crap was awful and the focus on armatization made the game extremely easy and the multiplayer sucks which I know not many care about that part but yeah...

Now I wait for the second episode of Tales of Zestiria the X.

Cornbread78

I threw together an OT for Tales of Zestiria for those watching it:

Looks like it will connect the worlds between Zestiria and Berseria by the time they are done with it:

Tales of Zestiria anime OT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209700565#post209700565

GW7qhCm.gif

9M2WVk4.gif

Annubis

Sorry for the bump, but would anyone have a game clear save that they could share with me (PC/Steam) ?

I kind of want to give the game another try and activating some NG+ grade stuff would probably ease some of the tediousness I had with the game the first time around.

I don't have any DLC other than the pre-order + God Eater (apparently, you can't load saves from others with DLC you don't have)

aravuus

Sorry for the bump, but would anyone have a game clear save that they could share with me (PC/Steam) ?

I kind of want to give the game another try and activating some NG+ grade stuff would probably ease some of the tediousness I had with the game the first time around.

I don't have any DLC other than the pre-order + God Eater (apparently, you can't load saves from others with DLC you don't have)

Quoting you in case someone PMs you a save, cause I'd love a clear save file too. Been playing Xillia 2 with a NG+ save file I found online and I'm enjoying it much more than on my initial playthrough, so I figured maybe the same could work with Zestiria.

Ydelnae

After watching the first episodes from the Zestiria anime, I decided to give the game a chance and it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I just finished the Water Temple and the cast, outside of Rose, is one of the best ones in the series. The story seems average but I'm glad it doesn't fall into the Maxwell, 4 great spirits, two worlds divided by a god trope like the Xillia games, Eternia, Symphonia, Graces and more.

The weapon/equipment system is a mess. I'm not even trying to understand it. I haven't changed my characters' equipment in 4 hours of gameplay, I only upgrade their items when I feel like enemies are hitting too hard.

The empty landscapes and poorly detailed enviroments are also a big flaw in the game. Xillia, as bland as it could get in certain maps, still had some very beautiful towns and hills. This game's world is just dull. It's like they spent all of the budget on the battle system and the character animations.

Annubis

Quoting you in case someone PMs you a save, cause I'd love a clear save file too. Been playing Xillia 2 with a NG+ save file I found online and I'm enjoying it much more than on my initial playthrough, so I figured maybe the same could work with Zestiria.

No takers. If I manage to find something I'll let you know.

Hikami

Just redownloaded this on Steam. Seems like I haven't played it since November of last year. Gonna give it another chance and see if I can finish it this time. It's the only Tales game I haven't finished and it's bothering me.

The mods released for this should make it a bit better at least than when I last played.

edit: Just fought
Tiamat
, dat music. Zestiria redeemed.

AlanOC91

Just out of chrysotile guys. Is there a way to do special moves/limit break type moves in this?

I think it's hold RT is it?

Also when I'm armatized with someone occasionally a blue bar with damage shows up and slowly empties. What's that?

Durante

No takers. If I manage to find something I'll let you know.
I realize this was months ago, but if either of you is still looking I have a very "complete" (including e.g.
all Normins and the Dark Turtlez battle
) save of the game that I could upload.

Sagitario

Just started this. Any tips and missables I should be aware of?

I have heard the skills system isn't good. Bummer, cause Zestiria's battle system is based on Graces' and I really wanted something with that much synergy.
I don't know if it's because the camera or how chaotic the battles are so far [way too many monsters during battles, yet not enough enemies in dungeons/overworld], but this LMBS doesn't feel tight like in Graces. Input lag, frame rate, "busy" battle effects? I don't know, perhaps I'm missing advanced skills, but I can't sidestep or block as fluently and accurately as I did in ToG. It doesn't feel right yet. It took a while for Graces to "click", but once it did, it was amazingly fun. I am expecting for Zestiria to click sooner/faster cause I'm used to ToG.

Is there a quick rundown of the skills/weapons system? It seems a bit complicated and overwhelming at first.

Is there a point to maxing out proficiency of equipment and titles?

I thought the battle system in this was really fun (well not graces F level but still addicting enough to make me enjoy playing battles on the highest difficult). Wasnt sold at first until I got a few hours in.

The camera is the only occasional issue for battle when it zooms in too close in corners, etc.

Cornbread78

Just started this. Any tips and missables I should be aware of?

I have heard the skills system isn't good. Bummer, cause Zestiria's battle system is based on Graces' and I really wanted something with that much synergy.
I don't know if it's because the camera or how chaotic the battles are so far [way too many monsters during battles, yet not enough enemies in dungeons/overworld], but this LMBS doesn't feel tight like in Graces. Input lag, frame rate, "busy" battle effects? I don't know, perhaps I'm missing advanced skills, but I can't sidestep or block as fluently and accurately as I did in ToG. It doesn't feel right yet. It took a while for Graces to "click", but once it did, it was amazingly fun. I am expecting for Zestiria to click sooner/faster cause I'm used to ToG.

Is there a quick rundown of the skills/weapons system? It seems a bit complicated and overwhelming at first.

Is there a point to maxing out proficiency of equipment and titles?

You really don't need to go crazy leveling up you equipment as you go. I just leveled up weapons up to lvl 6 max by the end and that was waay more than needed.

Sagitario

https://youtu.be/B4dcaLCQfoI?list=PLuQoXxpfYaSmusqeTai--1ZaC6CmD-DQI&t=868

https://youtu.be/B4dcaLCQfoI?list=PLuQoXxpfYaSmusqeTai--1ZaC6CmD-DQI&t=1717

How the heck are the Mystic Artes doing such damage? :O
And he's playing on chaos!

Also, do skills with 2x count as stacked?
For example, having Chein and Chein on a weapon is the same as having one Chein 2x for the skill panel?

I really wanna try some fun battle skills but this game makes it so difficult to do so, too random and grindy. And the requirement for getting 3x skills is ridiculous.

Fauve

https://youtu.be/B4dcaLCQfoI?list=PLuQoXxpfYaSmusqeTai--1ZaC6CmD-DQI&t=868

https://youtu.be/B4dcaLCQfoI?list=PLuQoXxpfYaSmusqeTai--1ZaC6CmD-DQI&t=1717

How the heck are the Mystic Artes doing such damage? :O
And he's playing on chaos!

Also, do skills with 2x count as stacked?
For example, having Chein and Chein on a weapon is the same as having one Chein 2x for the skill panel?

I really wanna try some fun battle skill but this game make it so difficult to do so, too random and grindy. And the requirement for getting 3x skills is ridiculous.

In those examples you linked, the player stunned the enemies before initiating his MAs. Stunned enemies take greatly increased damage so using MAs against them is a great way to rack up the damage. There may be other factors increasing the damage such as the Rangus skill which increases the stun damage multiplier further. And elemental skills like Faira, Urth, etc. which increase the damage of the corresponding elements.

And about your other question about the skills, sorry but I don't really know the answer to it.

Cornbread78

I had to constantly fiddle with the skills to try and get what I wanted and eventually gave uo because it never worked out the way I wanted..

Ascheroth

I had to constantly fiddle with the skills to try and get what I wanted and eventually gave uo because it never worked out the way I wanted..
I just said fuck it and went ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ during the second half of the game, not even bothering with the equipment and skills at all.

Sagitario

I usually get Tales of games' Platinum trophy but I might skip it this time because the skill system and grinding required. Some chaos difficulty settings are so obnoxious (giving fewer experience points, enemies instantaneous spell casting, having to do the majority of the battles in chaos BEFORE the game starts dropping x3 skills, among other things).

But despite the annoyances,I'm really enjoying the game: its battle system, music and art direction. Characters are fine too [and Zaveid voice and accent are 👌, I love him].

Cornbread78

I usually get Tales of games' Platinum trophy but I might skip it this time because the skill system and grinding required. Some chaos difficulty settings are so obnoxious (giving fewer experience points, enemies instantaneous spell casting, having to do the majority of the battles in chaos BEFORE the game starts dropping x3 skills, among other things).

But despite the annoyances,I'm really enjoying the game: its battle system, music and art direction. Characters are fine too [and Zaveid voice and accent are 👌, I love him].

Now go watch the anime series for a great twist on the story..

Sagitario

Now go watch the anime series for a great twist on the story..
To be honest, this games wasn't at the top of my backlog, but I started playing it so I can finally watch the anime.

But Chaos is best difficulty and makes the game actually fun and somewhat challenging.
Tell me more, because from what I've read (I haven't unlocked that difficulty because you need like 400 battles in intense) chaos isn't fun (or doable) unless you have a specific set of skills, and who has the time/dedication for that?

To be honest, this games wasn't at the top of my backlog, but I started playing it so I can finally watch the anime.

Tell me more, because from what I've read (I haven't unlocked that difficulty because you need like 400 battles in intense) chaos isn't fun (or doable) unless you have a specific set of skills, and who has the time/dedication for that?

Well you at least need the weapon skills so youre recovering health when you land combos, hit, or defeat the enemies. Also the skill system wasnt that hard to optimize, just a lot of constantly going to shops and having the requests active for certain weapons and hoping the randomization gods give you the ones you need in the right places.

I think I had that difficult unlocked way before midgame, I loved doing battles though.

Datschge

Personally I think the anime as a whole is much worse than the game. It also essentially exchanged the story into something different where it's harder to find similarities than differences, and especially character development, however flawed, is much better done in the game (mostly thanks to the skits, but the anime even removed some of the few things that the game's story actually did well). So I don't think you really need to play the game first before watching the anime. But you should play Berseria first before both (the anime contains spoilers for it, and the references and connections help keeping Zestiria more interesting than its mess of a story alone).

Cornbread78

Personally I think the anime as a whole is much worse than the game. It also essentially exchanged the story into something different where it's harder to find similarities than differences, and especially character development, however flawed, is much better done in the game (mostly thanks to the skits, but the anime even removed some of the few things that the game's story actually did well). So I don't think you really need to play the game first before watching the anime. But you should play Berseria first before both (the anime contains spoilers for it, and the references and connections help keeping Zestiria more interesting than its mess of a story alone).

While I unfortunately disagree about the story direction of the anime. (I actually found it very good and the changes in direction and perspective gave it a good twist.) You are 100% correct about spoilers though!

Make sure you watch the anime after playing Berseria!

Sagitario

Datschge, the Tales/Sakuraba human encyclopedia 💘

I guess I won't watch the the anime until next year then :(

I'm not rushing through Zestiria, I'm taking my time and battling A LOT cause I'm honestly enjoying the game... but the freaking skill system... MEH! I'd love to play in chaos if it was easier to exploit [or at least less time consuming]. Graces, how do I miss thee!

Graces F chaos got annoying though because the repainted enemies just had an annoying amount of HP that made Chaos feel more like a chore. I never felt like the ones in Zestiria feel like they had an astronomically high amount of HP that it was a chore.

Top Bottom