• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Canadian* Amiibo Discussion Thread: Discussion officielle Amiibo canadienne

BY2K

Membero Americo
The only Wave 2 amiibos I could find in Quebec were Zelda and Diddy. Can't even begin to wonder if I'll ever find Wave 3 amiibos.

zroid

Banned
The only Wave 3 amiibo i really wanted is Shulk, but I still tried to order Sheik just now... ugh :^(

I feel so manipulated

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Is anyone going to be going to FS tomorrow to see if they get wave 3 in? Hoping I can score an Ike and maybe Dedede.

Talked to the guy on the floor who collects amiibos as well and he told me that they only got Toon Link, Sheik and Bowser for this shipment. YMMV though store to store

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT: Nevermind. I wish this thread the best of luck. It has given me a lot to ponder, and I'm wondering if we should create other region threads. As it might be more helpful in terms of buying/trading and selling things.

Sealtest

Joke about Zellers all you want, I really enjoyed mine.

Every month I would go into mine and eat at the restaurant.

RIP Bacon Burger

They're streetdated, not worth trying until Friday.

Better if you can catch a dumb Toys 'R Us instead.

I'd like to but they already sold them all...

Didn't know that they're streetdated. I'm not going to trust them on sticking to it, considering they started selling Pit, Captain Falcon and Luigi early.

Sora_N

So why do we have an Amiibo thread for just ONE region. I don't get why Canada needs to have its own, when EU/JP are much bigger, and have more variance to it than NA regions. Since Amiibo collecting has pretty much been globalized, and most collectors on here buy from each region, it's kind of strange to split off regions.

I myself, am no longer going to be buying my Amiibos from NA, and I live in So Cal. I'm only importing, because NoA has done such an awful job with it here. I'm just done doing the song and dance. But do I just go and make a EU/JP region Amiibo thread, and only focus on that? Why bother posting in the main one?

And how does that work with the community, and having things like the Document/Selling and Trading. So we will have 3 docs, 3 sub-community. I dunno. Don't get it.

See my post in the other thread.

We are using this to discuss Amiibo & preorders that only apply to Canada though and local stores. The retail layout is pretty different in Canada, we don't have many stores so it's easier to keep track of what stores have what in 'real-time' sorta.

mdubs

Banned
So why do we have an Amiibo thread for just ONE region. I don't get why Canada needs to have its own, when EU/JP are much bigger, and have more variance to it than NA regions. Since Amiibo collecting has pretty much been globalized, and most collectors on here buy from each region, it's kind of strange to split off regions.

I myself, am no longer going to be buying my Amiibos from NA, and I live in So Cal. I'm only importing, because NoA has done such an awful job with it here. I'm just done doing the song and dance. But do I just go and make a EU/JP region Amiibo thread, and only focus on that? Why bother posting in the main one?

And how does that work with the community, and having things like the Document/Selling and Trading. So we will have 3 docs, 3 sub-community. I dunno. Don't get it.

Because there were people complaining in the Canada deals thread, and for ease of access for Canadians. Where else do you propose we discuss what stores have stuff in stock without being lost in the American discussion?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Imma try and see if the best buy have some, future shop is a bit far for me

Oh wow, thanks for reminding me. The futureshop I was thinking about going to tomorrow is actually a best buy. Darn.

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT: I was wrong. Region centric threads are 100% okay. Complaining about threads isn't okay.

My confusion was that, I wasn't sure why the main thread (which IMO was not region centric) was being broken up. That said, this thread has nothing to do with that. End of story. I was wrong.

People need to support this.

Southern Ontario report:

Toys R Us in my area received 2x Sonic, 2x Mega Man, 2x Ike, 4x Sheik, 2x DeDeDe, 2x Rosalina and maybe 6x or so Toon Link. Lots of Bowser. 16x Lucario (which they're holding until Friday).

Future Shop didn't have any of the wave three's today, but I called and they're scheduled to put Toon Link, Boswer, and Sheik on the shelves on Friday.

mdubs

Banned
So, we should start doing this for EU/JP then too?

In terms of GAF rules, this is 100% fine. I think, if anything else -- complaining about threads is against the rules. Ultimately, you guys thought this was for the best. I just don't really think it makes sense personally. And I'm starting to wonder if we need to start making a thread for each region then, since each region has their own release dates/stores/shipping unique to them.

You don't live here so of course you don't understand why it makes sense. We have different stores, and updates would get lost in the general discussion of the main amiibo thread. Europe and Japan can do what they want as well.

Edit: Just saw your above response, fair enough

Sora_N

In terms of GAF rules, this is 100% fine. I think, if anything else -- complaining about threads is against the rules. Ultimately, you guys thought this was for the best. I just don't really think it makes sense personally. And I'm starting to wonder if we need to start making a thread for each region then, since each region has their own release dates/stores/shipping unique to them.

I think if we're allowed to have a Canadian Deals/Discussion thread we would be also allowed to have an Amiibo thread.

Other regions can feel free to do the same if they want? If it's a major problem you can take it up to a mod.

It's much easier to keep track of when Futureshop or Best Buy decides to open preorders for Rosalina at 12AM at night and then it doesn't even appear in the search results and then sells out due to all the Canadian scalpers from another forum buying them.

Also our retailers are much less reliable and carry much much less inventory, so considering how bad it's been and it's only been 3 waves released so far. Everything has been a mess in North America, but it's been much much worse in Canada. I have never seen a single wave 2 figure on the shelf except Little Mac and Diddy. If I didn't order Pit I would never have one, I had to order it online. Never ever saw it.

jholmes

Fair enough. Guess we should make an EU/JP one then too.

If you Americans want to complain, please take it to the Canadian Deals thread, which hasn't had nearly enough complaining or discussion about this topic in the last week.

Or, I dunno, go ask a mod and quit bumping a thread about Amiibos going on sale for no damn reason.

Kilvin

Wow us Canadian Amiibros can't win...

We start discussing the exclusives where the stuff is available in the Canadian Deals thread and everyone complains it's nothing but amiibo talk, why don't we make our own Canadian amiibos thread, etc, etc.

We make the thread, and now we have non Canadian amiibros coming in saying we don't get it, why is this thread needed, etc etc.

Look guys, the general amiibo thread moves way too fast, it's really hard for the Canadians Amiibros to communicate when preorders are up, when stuff is in stock in a store etc.

What is it hurting having this thread? We made this thread to get away from the complaining and now we have people starting in here already.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is ridiculous. Amiibo has a discussion thread.

Supply and releases are handled far differently in Canada than the States and there's far more than enough interest to warrant having another thread specific for Canadians. US talk dominates the primary thread and Canadian information gets buried. If other regions want their own threads too, I have no problem with it.

DVCY201

Do it. I think those living in EU and JP would appreciate it, being able to quickly see pertinent info about their respective region. It's far more organized than that single conglomerate thread where it's hard to keep up and most of the info there is simply about the States.

Mononoke

Banned
[EDIT: I was wrong. Region centric threads are 100% okay. Complaining about threads isn't okay.

My confusion was that, I wasn't sure why the main thread (which IMO was not region centric) was being broken up. That said, this thread has nothing to do with that. End of story. I was wrong.

Sora_N

We start discussing the exclusives where the stuff is available in the Canadian Deals and everyone complains it's nothing but amiibo talk, why don't we make our own Canadian amiibos thread, etc, etc.

We make the thread, and now we have not Canadian amiibros coming in saying u don't get it, why is this thread needed, etc etc.

Look guys, the general amiibo thread moves way too fast, it's really hard for the Canadians Amiibros to communicate when preorders are up, when stuff is in stock in a store etc.

What is it hurting having this thread? We made this thread to get away from the complaining and now we have people starting in here already.

Yeah I can't believe we have to defend against other people complaining that we made a thread. :/

schlew

Subscribed! I don't mind the split from Canadian deals, as amiibo conversation led to a lot of posts that had an issue with it.

I'm still only buying the figures of characters I like, which is a fools game as I tend to love nearly all of Nintendo's work.

Maximus.

I have always wondered why other regions don't have these discussions. USA and Canada are not the only unique situations for finding products.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah I can't believe we have to defend against other people complaining that we made a thread. :/

You don't have to defend. Again, 100% this thread should exist.

Was just confused why the GAF Amiibo Community stuff was split off (when it was never region centric).

mdubs

Banned
You can absolutely have a thread based on region. Wasn't arguing that.

More so, don't get why it makes sense to split off the GAF Amiibo Community by region. I don't understand the reasoning being given. Oh well. I guess, bye to all Canadians.

Because you don't live here! Why do you feel like you understand the nuances of buying things in Canada better than people here? In terms of organization this thread makes a lot of sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have always wondered why other regions don't have these discussions. USA and Canada are not the only unique situations for finding products.
AUSGAF is stickied in the Community thread. They are the only other region specific community IIRC.

zroid

Banned
You don't have to defend. Again, 100% this thread should exist.

Was just confused why the GAF Amiibo Community stuff was split off (when it was never region centric).

Honestly, it's complicated to explain... the Canadian deals thread sort of operates as a Canada community thread, and some people felt it was being overrun with amiibo discussion.

think of this more as an offshoot of the Canadian deals thread as opposed to the main Amiibo thread. I'll still be posting in the amiibo thread as much as I did before, as will most people here I imagine.

LordAmused

Yes because it's only Americans hah.

Well you are the only one who complained, and you are American! I mean, if you are not happy with the thread, you can always leave. I don't understand how a thread created to help Canadians get their hands on Amiibos could become problematic for other members.

Sora_N

You can absolutely have a thread based on region. Wasn't arguing that.

More so, don't get why it makes sense to split off the GAF Amiibo Community by region. I don't understand the reasoning being given. Oh well. I guess, bye to all Canadians. Still contemplating on making a EU/JP one then, since I have no interest in U.S. Amiibo buying anymore.

Yes because it's only Americans.

Like I said, in terms of the board guidelines it's 100% okay. I wasn't arguing that. More so, confused why this split happened. But my apologies for not understanding.

If we are splitting off regions, then I think that's a great idea.

Think of it this way, this is regarding Canadian stock and retail discussion of Amiibos.

The other thread is relating more to a general discussion + collecting of Amiibos.

I don't get why it leads to you feeling that there needs to be a EU/JP thread as well, of course you're free to do so. If it's needed, people will use it just like this thread.

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT: I was wrong. Region centric threads are 100% okay. Complaining about threads isn't okay.

mdubs

Banned

We start discussing the exclusives where the stuff is available in the Canadian Deals thread and everyone complains it's nothing but amiibo talk, why don't we make our own Canadian amiibos thread, etc, etc.

We make the thread, and now we have non Canadian amiibros coming in saying we don't get it, why is this thread needed, etc etc.

wSvoup5.gif

jholmes

Well you are the only one who complained, and you are American! I mean, if you are not happy with the thread, you can always leave. I don't understand how a thread created to help Canadians get their hands on Amiibos could become problematic for other members.

Seriously! I'm pissed off that I have to defend this thread now considering I never wanted it split off to begin with.

So, not everyone in the Amiibo thread lives in the U.S. either. It's not a region centric thread. People bought from all regions.

It's inherently American centric due to the quantity of Americans posting in it. I've asked a few questions in that thread that were Canadian specific and all it served was confusion to others (talking about things like Ike already being shipped, and whatnot).

The speed and relevancy of the discussion warrants a split, otherwise the megathread just gets more confusing for everyone, at least to me.

*shrug*

Top Bottom