• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Boogiepop

So, just out of curiosity... how do card prices for new sets like this generally fluctuate? Like, I'm REALLY liking Ixalan as a jumping back in point, and in addition to liking what I'm seeing on the whole tribal synergy thing... I also really, really love the art design on the dinos in particular, and also actually the merfolk (which is funny because before just recently thinking Merfolk+MTG would call to mind a number of old cards I wasn't really fond of the art on... but then again, old Magic art really doesn't work for me a lot of the time. But yeah, actually a lot of more modern merfolk with some real awesome art for my tastes.)

Anyway, was thinking that I kind of want to go all out and try to slap together a (budget enough) set of Dino and Merfolk Commander decks (because that's what my group plays... plus I also prefer not having to track down multiples of a single card anyway). But I'm assuming they're gonna prooooooobably end up kind of jank and just for fun, at least for now (really hoping Rivals of Ixalan will provide some nice further buffing on that front in terms of expanding the pool of what's available).

Buuuut... a few of those dino prices are dumb. Like, once a card breaches $5 it's kind of a rough sell to me for my casual play (which I'm admittedly just hopping into), and that Carnagw Tyrant in particular is just stupid expensive for what would be a deck for just messing around.

So... should I expect any of those prices to really drift back down, and if so, around when should I be looking to buy?

Pundere

Went 3-1 at midnight with a pretty crazy Naya Dinos deck. Ended up casting Gishath in 6 out of the 7 games I won. Store was giving out the SCG Creature Collection Ixalan playmat to top 4...and I got 5th :(

Lost first round in the event today, but ended up 3-1 again with a pretty good Grixis Pirates deck.

Ashodin

I went 2-2 with some shitty ass Naya dino deck, had Sunpetal Grove AND Rootbound Crag.

Still, huge fuckoff dinos vs. huge fuckoff dinos was neat

went 1-2 at the prerelease. had an awful sealed pool. had some decent black options but just wanted to have fun and played naya dinos. Got four pity packs at the end and opened a Carnage Tyrant.

Wulfric

So, just out of curiosity... how do card prices for new sets like this generally fluctuate?

A few of those dino prices are dumb. Like, once a card breaches $5 it's kind of a rough sell to me for my casual play (which I'm admittedly just hopping into), and that Carnagw Tyrant in particular is just stupid expensive for what would be a deck for just messing around.

So... should I expect any of those prices to really drift back down, and if so, around when should I be looking to buy?

So these new cards are going to be priced differently because there are no masterpiece lottery cards to soak up the value of the box. Therefore, the chase rares are probably going to be a bit more expensive than in Amonkhet block. Right now there's only 5 cards valued over $10, but expect that to change as more people crack boxes open and the metagame starts to get solved.

My suggestion is to buy the singles you want from this set around 3 weeks in. At that point, the meta can still change and there's lot of supply driving down prices. Overall, you might save a couple bucks if you can wait a few weeks.

FYI, if y'all missed it, John Avon launched his Unhinged playmat Kickstarter. Funded in less than an hour and currently at over $70,000 raised so far. I'm curious as to what the licensing cost is for these particular images, since WotC still owns them and John was only asking for 6000 GBP to begin with.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnavonart/magic-the-gathering-unhinged-playmats-by-john-avon/

zGlJIw3.png

That's it? I'm disappointed.

Somehow despite the fact that they were literally making a product that had to be print-separated in order to even exist nobody at WotC realized they could use "K" for black.

FYI, if y'all missed it, John Avon launched his Unhinged playmat Kickstarter. Funded in less than an hour and currently at over $70,000 raised so far. I'm curious as to what the licensing cost is for these particular images, since WotC still owns them and John was only asking for 6000 GBP to begin with.

No licensing cost. WotC made an across-the-board contractual change for their artists a couple years back allowing them to use their own art on certain merchandise like playmats, and people have been taking full advantage of it ever since.

Maledict

Somehow despite the fact that they were literally making a product that had to be print-separated in order to even exist nobody at WotC realized they could use "K" for black.

No licensing cost. WotC made an across-the-board contractual change for their artists a couple years back allowing them to use their own art on certain merchandise like playmats, and people have been taking full advantage of it ever since.

I’m fairly sure wizards don’t want triple black mana to be shortened to KKK... ;-)

y2dvd

Went 3-1 with WR aggro, my one lost getting stuck with 2 mana for like 7 turns. The luck in this game is sometimes so frustrating lol.

I actually had a great deck. Red dude that steals a dude for a turn is mvp. The exile all attacking creatures spell was also a blow out.

I only really got that green flip enchantment but I've come back from prerelease with worst lol. 2HG is in a few hrs.

Justin

We had a pretty lengthy discussion here about the complexity of explore. How did this pan out for you guys at your prerelease? Did a lot of people fuck it up asides from the normal "figuring out a new mechanic" issues. For me out of my two prereleases only one person kept messing it up but I couldn't tell if it was because he was trying to cheat. He kept not revealing the card then later he tried to put the non land card into his hand. I also caught him drawing seven on a mulligan and using treasure tokens that he never put on the battlefield so he might not be a good example. He had a gamday winner mat too. This was in the finals BTW.

TLDR: explore isn't a complex mechanic, at least for the people at my LGS

xRaizen

We had a pretty lengthy discussion here about the complexity of explore. How did this pan out for you guys at your prerelease? Did a lot of people fuck it up asides from the normal "figuring out a new mechanic" issues. For me out of my two prereleases only one person kept messing it up but I couldn't tell if it was because he was trying to cheat. He kept not revealing the card then later he tried to put the non land card into his hand. I also caught him drawing seven on a mulligan and using treasure tokens that he never put on the battlefield so he might not be a good example. He had a gamday winner mat too. This was in the finals BTW.

No one seemed to be confused as to how it worked, though I did notice some people kept the revealed card, if it wasn't a land, face up on the deck rather than putting it face down.

Justin

No one seemed to be confused as to how it worked, though I did notice some people kept the revealed card, if it wasn't a land, face up on the deck rather than putting it face down.

Some people do that as a courtesy to the opponent since it is known information.

Copenap

No one was confused and everbody knew how to do it. I was more confused why people here thought this simple mechanic could be confusing.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Went 0-4 with a 1-6-1 record at prerelease. I had a few chances, but misread some cards and wasn't very efficient. I had a great time, however.

And my luck with boosters continues to be shitty. Other people were getting planeswalkers, Carnage Tyrants, Waking Sun's Avatar, etc. and the best best card I received was Verdant Sun's Avatar.

One last thing: If the shop says the prerelease starts at 7pm, start it at fucking 7pm. It didn't get started until 730 as there was only one person working and people keep going up to the front to buy shit...

Violet_0

Banned
there aren't that many valuable cards per set, stuff like Waking Sun's Avatar has a temporary (slightly) inflated price and will be a bargain bin rare in no time, on the EU market in particular. Unless you need a particular card that is currently seeing lots of play in standard or modern, or a planeswalker, you can just wait a little while and order singles online for cheap

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Finally opened the two packs I got for signing up. Carnage tyrant and a foil ripjaw raptor. I'll take it.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
there aren't that many valuable cards per set, stuff like Waking Sun's Avatar has a temporary (slightly) inflated price and will be a bargain bin rare in no time, on the EU market in particular. Unless you need a particular card that is currently seeing lots of play in standard or modern, or a planeswalker, you can just wait a little while and order singles online for cheap

I wasn't really talking about pricing, though maybe that is a part of it, but the fact that I didn't get any big bomb cards. Therefore, my late game play sucked as I didn't have anything to deal with them. No good counters, either. Some of the cards I thought would be good were ineffective.

Oh, well. I played Destiny for years-- I'm used to getting screwed over by the RNG.

A person I played against tried to scry the card to the bottom instead of putting it in the graveyard, but nothing worse than that. An opponent of mine mentioned that someone he had played against in a previous round tried to do something crazy with it, though; if I understood him right the guy was trying to just drop the +1/+1 counter wherever he felt like, rather than on the exploring creature.

Then again, I also played at Mox, which necessarily attracts an average older and more experienced crowd than a strip mall FLGS.

Dragoshi1

Haven't done MtG since Origins came out, so I got a Dinosaur Knight deck for Dinosaurs obviously, but also to get my first planeswalker.

Hooray to friends from work peer-pressuring me into getting back in!

During my last match, my opponent kept putting revealed nonland cards into his hand and casting them right away, but, you know, last match. Another opponent only showed me the card for half a second and I had to tell him to show it longer.

Haven't done MtG since Origins came out, so I got a Dinosaur Knight deck for Dinosaurs obviously, but also to get my first planeswalker.

Hooray to friends from work peer-pressuring me into getting back in!

Great to hear you have a playgroup at work! Note that the deck you got is fairly weak, but depending on how your coworkers play, it shouldn't do too badly.

Great to hear you have a playgroup at work! Note that the deck you got is fairly weak, but depending on how your coworkers play, it shouldn't do too badly.

On the plus side, it will be one of the easiest decks to trade around for some in-circulation upgrades for, since a lot of people are going to be flush with excess dinosaurs.

Lee N

Membre
My prerelease pool was kind of barren. Not nearly enough cards to support any of the supported draft archetypes.

Ended up just putting all my best removal in a pile and built a deck around those colours. Jund Pirate/Dinosaur Value pretty much. Charging Monstrosaur (don’t believe his lies, it’s Reality Smasher) was MVP. Went 4-2…

Tunoku

Yeah, it's hard to pull off tribal in sealed. I actually played the 2B Return a Dino, Merfolk, Vampire, and Pirate from your GY to your hand and it was pretty useful.

Just got back from my first MtG event ever. The prerelease was very fun, met some nice and cool people. Apart from playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015, this was my first time actually playing Magic. Pulled a Carnage Tyrant but only really played it once (and it won me the game). I played a red and green deck with mostly dinosaurs, some merfolk and some humans with dinosaur-synergy. What I found really strong was early Explore creatures, Treasure Map and Growing Rites of Itlimoc. These cards really help to ramp out your big dinos. Also Nest Robber really helped me put out some ongoing damage. Apart from Lightning Strike, Unfriendly Fire and Sure Strike I lacked actual removal. Went 3-2 in the end which was very good for me this being my first tournament.

Copenap

Yeah, it's hard to pull off tribal in sealed. I actually played the 2B Return a Dino, Merfolk, Vampire, and Pirate from your GY to your hand and it was pretty useful.
For dinos I feel like it works quite well, do the dinos even have a lot of tribal synergy? I can think of 2, most of them are just good on their own.

Edit: Ok, there are definitely more but still a lot of dinos are just good.

DrArchon

Just got back from my first MtG event ever. The prerelease was very fun, met some nice and cool people. Apart from playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015, this was my first time actually playing Magic. Pulled a Carnage Tyrant but only really played it once (and it won me the game). I played a red and green deck with mostly dinosaurs, some merfolk and some humans with dinosaur-synergy. What I found really strong was early Explore creatures, Treasure Map and Growing Rites of Itlimoc. These cards really help to ramp out your big dinos. Also Nest Robber really helped me put out some ongoing damage. Apart from Lightning Strike, Unfriendly Fire and Sure Strike I lacked actual removal. Went 3-2 in the end which was very good for me this being my first tournament.

Glad you had a great time. This looks like a really fun set overall, and I'm super disappointed that I had too much work this weekend to go. Hopefully I can get in Arena soon enough to scratch that itch.

Nice pull with the Carnage Tyrant too. Might want to consider selling it now, seeing as it's like a $30 card and I can't see it getting more expensive.

DrArchon

for a stupid 6 mana hexproof trampler? Oh, come on

It just looks really tough to deal with outside of White with stuff like Dusk and Fumigate. Red can't answer it other than winning the game before it hits the board (not a bad answer to be honest), Black has Doomfall + discard which is decent enough, and Blue can only delay it with expensive mass bounce spells.

I don't think it should be a $30 card at all, but if there is a Dino deck to be made, it'll probably be the best card in it. It's a better curve topper than the legendary Naya dino imo.

DrArchon

Is there anywhere I can read up on what's good to add/take out of the deck?

Best suggestion I can give is looking up Dinosaur decks on sites like TCGPlayer and TappedOut and just seeing what other people are thinking about doing. Probably won't see a lot of the cards from the starter decks just because they generally aren't that great, but it's a decent way to get ideas of what you might want to do.

Other than that, just play around with it some and see what works and doesn't work. Everyone's got their own ideas of how you should play, but if those ideas don't line up with how you want to play, they won't be of much help.

Son1x

My excitement died a bit after opening my pool. My 7 rares were Vampire attack leecher (didnt play black), Dragonskull Summit, 2x Pithing Needle thing, Blue Tribal Enchantment, the pirate lord and Cradle. Ended up playing Naya Dinosaurs. Did pretty good but missed the top 8 at 10th place with 4-2. Still got a pack and got the tribal land in it.

I did get some common/uncommon dinosaurs for a casual Dinosaur EDH deck I want to build, but I didn't open any big ones myself. Trying to do it without using the cards I play in modern.

I actualy mained Sphinx of the Final Word im my Esper Control deck in standard.

Top Bottom