• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Why did A2 kill the mighty ^^ forest king?

Just for the lulz? Showing B2 + 9S how "badass" she is?
Because she kills robots. Thats her thing

Also the forest king is already dead. What they were trying to do after was imitating the concept of heirs in humanity.

How do i trigger the second emil boss fight?

i beat him one time in his house... but there's nothing after that... got all his item and leveled his weapon to level 4...

i saw video where you can fight him either with A2 or 2B... But they never explain how you got there... we can see him in the shopping mall with a sidequest icon.... but i don't get that in my game, any idea?

EDIT : So apparently you nead to complete all side quest and upgrade all weapons... this gonna take times... i'm missing some unit data (don't know which, i made sure to talk to every machine and kill every ennemy), some old world archives for pascal like gestalt report 7 and 9, and missing materials to upgrade every weapons (like large gears, these shits are too rare...)!

Also missing a third sidequest that i have ABSOLUTELY no idea where is it! i think it's the one with 9S where you hack into Wise Machines, and then it commit suicide... but it doesn't do anything in the quest log, even tough they're marqued as side quest (red dot)

Where is Emil's deep down home?

on the north side of the big crater, on the wall, there's a big open sewer pipe where water flows down (a waterfall basically)! Just jump in there (it's near the top)

Is this a referance to Disney? Minnie Mouse & Daisy Duck?

referance.jpg

cerulily

i didn't know there was a spoiler thread. yay.

The Sartre side quest was just okay up until you connect it to the Beauvoir boss-fight. Then it becomes absolutely genius.

It's really too bad that it didn't follow the irl relationship between the two. But i love that it was his aloof disregard for others that led her to completely destroy herself.

Really just highlights how important it is to do sidequests in Nier.

Messing around with the debug room.

You can do so much with it.

Gonna post a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cv_sqANvgQ

Wireframe, Invisible Character/Enemy, BGM settings, etc.

I wish there were more selections for enemies though, but I haven't activated the room outside of the mode itself yet.

Maybe you can answer these?

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2

2. In the debug room can you freely choose your character?

3. In the debug room can you place ANY enemies? Bosses aswell?

4. If you enable debug mode in the story, can you switch characters? For example playing 2B's story and playing as A2?

Jiraiza

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2

4. If you enable debug mode in the story, can you switch characters? For example playing 2B's story and playing as A2?

Your character in debug mode depends on the character you last played in the game I think. So if you want to change, you have to chapter select first. I could be wrong.

I only saw mob characters, no bosses. Debug mode in the story only allows you access to the flag settings.

Not sure about 1, but 2B couldn't use A2's wig, so no?

Your character in debug mode depends on the character you last played in the game I think. So if you want to change, you have to chapter select first. I could be wrong.

I only saw mob characters, no bosses. Debug mode in the story only allows you access to the flag settings.

Not sure about 1, but 2B couldn't use A2's wig, so no?

I see thanks.

raven777

So I went back to the old trailer, and saw a scene with A2 having long hair in certain scene where in the final game she has short hair.

I wonder if they decided to change to short hair during development, or simply trying to hide her short hair during promotion.
It's weird since most of the screenshots they showed on A2 prior to game's release wasn't in the final game unless I missed it.

Anyways she looks much better with short hair so I am happy to see her like that.

So I went back to the old trailer, and saw a scene with A2 having long hair in certain scene where in the final game she has short hair.

I wonder if they decided to change to short hair during development, or simply trying to hide her short hair during promotion.
It's weird since most of the screenshots they showed on A2 prior to game's release wasn't in the final game unless I missed it.

Anyways she looks much better with short hair so I am happy to see her like that.

Or maybe they equipped the wig in the cutscene.

Does the wig and the accessories even work for the cutscenes?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They probably kept her hair long to keep the fact that she had cut her hair for plot related reasons closer to release.

Yoko Taro obviously didn't just think up her cutting her hair and have that put into the game in a matter of days

Slater

Banned
They probably kept her hair long to keep the fact that she had cut her hair for plot related reasons closer to release.

Yoko Taro obviously didn't just think up her cutting her hair and have that put into the game in a matter of days
Lol you'd be surprised what can happen in just the couple weeks before release.

Devola and Popala both have long hair that freaks out blatantly, they clearly were wrestling with long hair in that engine

I love how in these ugly, horrific stories of tragedy and suffering, one of the most recurring motifs is twins and the importance of having someone to support you.

Hektor

In retroperspect it's kinda funny how no one called the twist when the most asked question up to release was "how the hell did humanity survive?????"

Caim

1, Certain customization items only work on certain characters. If there is an item to remove clothes outside of Self-Destruct and A2's Berserk Mode after effects then I don't have it yet.

2. Last character you played as is who you play in the Debug Room.

3. I'm at over 80% unit data and I've only been able to place the machines and their different variations, 2B, and the Yorha enemy types.

EDIT: Didn't see that Jiraiza already answered you, sorry!

Jiraiza

I love how in these ugly, horrific stories of tragedy and suffering, one of the most recurring motifs is twins and the importance of having someone to support you.

Considering how dead humanity is, I definitely would've wanted someone to be with me in that world. Good stuff, nonetheless. I'm still a little disappointed Popola, Devola, and the Commander didn't get more stuff in the game.

Considering how dead humanity is, I definitely would've wanted someone to be with me in that world. Good stuff, nonetheless. I'm still a little disappointed Popola, Devola, and the Commander didn't get more stuff in the game.

I was talking to someone else about the twins, and I dunno, I felt like the novel and what little was still good. Especially if you knew of their NieR incarnation. It was as if Taro was trying to find redemption for them with what happened prior. Thinking of what happened to their series after the Gestalt mess was pretty tragic. Being forced to feel guilt in your programming regardless.

Jiraiza

I was talking to someone else about the twins, and I dunno, I felt like the novel and what little was still good. Especially if you knew of their NieR incarnation. It was as if Taro was trying to find redemption for them with what happened prior. Thinking of what happened to their series after the Gestalt mess was pretty tragic. Being forced to feel guilt in your programming regardless.

Yeah, the amount of time they got was still good. I ended up liking the twins a lot after all, so that's a good sign. But I still can't help but want more. That and I really like Devola.

One major thing I'm not entirely clear on is how the Terminals' plan deviates from the androids', and also how the events that unfold deviate from both of those.

Destroying the bunker was part of Project YoRHa, and so was the endless looping?

The commander was so thicc that there was no room left for storytelling. That is truly the weight of the world.

HO GOD... just finished the quest where you must gather ennemy unit data...
there's a unique track that isn' even on the jukebox at the resistance camp...

dispossession remix in music box, with emi evans singing!

Also, any idea how to get emil to sell weapons? Apparently i'm missing two weapon and only emil selling them, but he never proposed them!

HO GOD... just finished the quest where you must gather ennemy unit data...
there's a unique track that isn' even on the jukebox at the resistance camp...

dispossession remix in music box, with emi evans singing!

Also, any idea how to get emil to sell weapons? Apparently i'm missing two weapon and only emil selling them, but he never proposed them!
I think his merchandise depends on what part of the city he's in.

JayEH

What happened to pascal was fucked up. Anyway can I get an explanation of 2B always having to kill 9S...I know in drakengard there's multiple timelines is this what is happening here?

Hektor

What happened to pascal was fucked up. Anyway can I get an explanation of 2B always having to kill 9S...I know in drakengard there's multiple timelines is this what is happening here?

The entire Yorha project was build to give the remaining androids a lie worth living (And dying) for.

9S is a hyper efficient scanner whose job it is to uncover secrets, so at some point he would've found out about the truth of project yorha and would end up ruining the entire project, that's why 2B (or rather 2E) was paired up with him, to kill him whenever he's about to discover the truth, resetting his memory to zero, so the lie can continue forever.

Jiraiza

2B is actually a 2E model. She was assigned to 9S so she could monitor him. If he learned too much, she would have to kill him. I didn't realize it the first time, but there were some subtle hints here and there that foreshadowed 2B being a 2E model.

Makes it all the more tragic when you learn how much 2B ends up caring for him. Add in that final message from her flight unit and you get... ;_;.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
In retroperspect it's kinda funny how no one called the twist when the most asked question up to release was "how the hell did humanity survive?????"

I kinda did, but then i would wonder about who created the androids to begin with and who Anemone was(always thought she was a human) and also from the fact that certain humans were able to reuinite their gestalts and replicants...and figured Yoko might have retconned the original ending. Luckily he didn't though, that would have been shakey AF.

Although to be fair, isn't it kinda weird? Apparently humanity still exists on the moon as DNA and memory data. With all the shit already happening in this world, would it really be that out of bounds for a cloning project to start bringing back humans from that DNA tissue?

I mean why even bring that up if it may not play a part in the future? Yoko could have just as easily said humans were dead period, no way to revive them period, they are dust period, nothing left of them period

JayEH

The entire Yorha project was build to give the remaining androids a lie worth living (And dying) for.

9S is a hyper efficient scanner whose job it is to uncover secrets, so at some point he would've found out about the truth of project yorha and would end up ruining the entire project, that's why 2B (or rather 2E) was paired up with him, to kill him whenever he's about to discover the truth, resetting his memory to zero, so the lie can continue forever.

Oh ok I see. So 9S isn't exactly "killed".

I wish the montage of 9S deaths included a few scenes from before the game to emphasize that this is something that keeps happening.

As it is, most of the scenes aren't really 2B killing him, and the one time she actually kills him he doesn't even lose his memories.

pretty sure it's not! Already have him in all 4 parts of the city, and lots of times here where at the same place but sold different item each times (materials, chips +3, chips+6), but never the weapons :(
Someone also said it might have to do with how fast he's going. I've gotten him to sell those weapons twice, but I dunno how.

I wish the montage of 9S deaths included a few scenes from before the game to emphasize that this is something that keeps happening.

As it is, most of the scenes aren't really 2B killing him, and the one time she actually kills him he doesn't even lose his memories.

Someone also said it might have to do with how fast he's going. I've gotten him to sell those weapons twice, but I dunno how.

apparently it's when he goes really fast... but no luck for me.... even when fast, he didn't sell it to me... That's really dumb cause it's the only thing i'm missing to trigger the final secret boss fight! And i can only count on luck...

also any idea where to find project gestatl report 7 and 9 ?

Nya

2B is actually a 2E model. She was assigned to 9S so she could monitor him. If he learned too much, she would have to kill him. I didn't realize it the first time, but there were some subtle hints here and there that foreshadowed 2B being a 2E model.

Makes it all the more tragic when you learn how much 2B ends up caring for him. Add in that final message from her flight unit and you get... ;_;.

Huh? Which one was that, I don't remember that ever happening ;o

Wait what? I feel like I missed a major thing here!

Mm well that was shorter than I imagined , thanks though. Did you guys find adam and eves table?

yup i did, thanks to a gaffer, can't remember who!

it's at the very top of the first building you start the game! At the first floor, on the right, there's an elevator shaft with a ladder, go all the way up and it's there

LProtag

So do you all think it's implied that this entire scenario keeps happening over and over, or only that 9S keeps discovering that humanity is dead and has to be killed?

The fact that the PODs apparently reboot Project YoRHa lends itself to the first one, but that they're trying to change it this time by letting the trio keep their memories.

But it also seems convoluted, and I'm not really sure why the machines would take part in it.

Edit: Hm, actually, it makes more sense when you consider that android black boxes are created from machine cores. So the machine hivemind is trying to repress both androids and machines from developing humanity by keeping them occupied with war, basically? That makes the most sense to me.

So do you all think it's implied that this entire scenario keeps happening over and over, or only that 9S keeps discovering that humanity is dead and has to be killed?

The fact that the PODs apparently reboot Project YoRHa lends itself to the first one, but that they're trying to change it this time by letting the trio keep their memories.

But it also seems convoluted, and I'm not really sure why the machines would take part in it.

Edit: Hm, actually, it makes more sense when you consider that android black boxes are created from machine cores. So the machine hivemind is trying to repress both androids and machines from developing humanity by keeping them occupied with war, basically? That makes the most sense to me.

Ending E is they dont reboot the project.

The loop as i understand it is.

From android POV
- Start project Yorha
- Androids are gonna win war
- Nuke bunker/install logic virus

Point is to keep giving the androids hope, if the machines all die, then the humans would come back to earth, but they dont exist.

From machine POV
- Sabotage self/intentionally dont kill androids

Point is to not kill all enemies, cause killing enemies is what machines do

The 9S loop is just that E models have to execute the scanners before they find out? 2B has known him a long time before the start of the game.

LProtag

Ending E seemed to imply they were rebooting the project, but they were going to give 2B, 9S, and A2 their memory data. Pod 153 remarks that won't everything still just happen the same way again even if they do that, and Pod 042 says maybe, but that there's a chance things will change.

TissueBox

True, but honestly I felt they were going on that slim 1% possibility and were going to explain that as a twist later but of course that wasn't the case lol. I personally was guessing that the androids may have killed the humans and actually wanted to beat the aliens and become the master race...but in the end that was beautifully subverted too.

Top Bottom