• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

^ So both players can pick their plays from their own screen. That's too much work for what you're proposing.

Too much work? How is to too much work? that sounds like laziness.
Thats like saying taking turns in Monopoly is too much work.
How in the world did you all play Madden without the second screen?

Nibel

Based on 3" bottom screen for 3DS and 6.2" screen for Wii U, I tried to put them to scale. If this is right, d-pad and face buttons seem about a quarter bigger in both dimensions.
20110614wiiu3dsscale.jpg

Looks like a CPP XL :D

effzee

Nintendo would be a fricken moron if they didn't allow for two UPad support for Madden alone. You want sports titles to finally be taken seriously on your platform? Allow players to pick and draw their own plays on the UPad while in the huttle, make adjustments/hot routes on your UPad while at the line of scrimmage, and even tell lineman where to block or what blitzes to pick up like a real QB does. All of these can be going on while the defense is making on the fly adjustments, bringing up defenders to fake or disguise blitzes, or changing coverages/alignments. The UPad can finally replicate the chess match that football has turned into (before the actual snap). If the online is up to snuff and EA takes this seriously, then Nintendo would finally have the superior version of Madden.

This is what I hope and pray for. This has to happen. EA and Nintendo would be out of their mind stupid if they don't take advantage of this and show it off at E3.

To be able to adjust on the fly and draw up plays, coverage, and blitzes will bring a whole new level of simulation realism to sports game.

That sounds like something more suited to a Wii-U version of Battlefield 3. The Madden idea is exactly what needs to happen though... and watch EA still ignore it and try to put out some kind of kiddy Madden game.

I would add to that by saying not just battlefiled 3 but even dudebro shooters such as an up and coming Army of Four. Imagine local multiplayer clans duking it out against other local multiplayer clans online using game mechanics I listed before. It won't even have to be in first person games it can be third person and it will still work. Ubisofts GRO already hinted at a few things but you can see where this can go.

Imagine a resident evil game where one person is solving a puzzle while two other subscreen players are protecting the mainscreen player from hoardes of zombies in local multiplayer. This can be a game changer in an online enabled world and can bring much needed value to games instead of just DLC. We need to bring back local multiplayer in a big way to aleviate the impact of value on having just online. Even having the idea of a local multiplayer + online multiplayer setup in the form of having localised clans battling each other online while having a richer user experience (an evolution of 4 way splitscreen that used to be popular) will increase perceived value to many of our current games. Nintendo has hinted at this with some of their tech demos but fleshed out to current and future games, might give a chance for even smaller developers to compete against the single player AAA games if perceived value increases.

Sport Games such as Football (all types) will have a renaissance of some sort bridging to sports genres together and maybe reviving dead or niche game mechanics as they can now be added to the one game. It might also bring more players who are into mare tactical based sports as they can take part in the mainstream sports games while still playing a different role to other players as a coach or manager.

There can also be added bonuses too for those who have kids or partners not really into playing AAA style games which are a bit too complex by providing secondary objectives in the form of minigames to allow the main player to progress. Imagine you are playing an rpg and your kid or significant other cna also take a minor part in the game by playing minigames which help you obtain items potions solve small puzzles or do other things by playing these inbuilt incentives such as minigames, so that even thought might just be watching you play thse simple tasks that they can do for you on a second subscreen can add to a sense of multiplayer in an otherwise lonely game. In single player mode you will obviously have another method to do it yourself without the minigames but choosing this option allows a more social aspect to playing these games.

I can imagine a zelda game where the main player is link and Navi, who is optionally controlled by another subscreen player can take a role in creating potions or solving puzzles from clues you collect or even fly off herself in order to complete sidequests which take more brains than brawn to solve. This can increase the non user experience in a way that will bridge them into maybe playing the games themselves in the future. This can also be done online but to create new gamers we need to inroduce them in a way where it is simple yet gives a full experience. The more advnaced player will be more inclined to have a master student role in introducing a new or lapsed gamer to a new genre or gaming mechanic. it is an evolution to star collecting in SMG but having a subscreen to yourself gives you that sense of actually contributing as a separate entity.

Jarsonot

Okay. Here. Look at this image again:

italiatopgames_pXpx7t0decjEOY4ML7dg43PEt36z28soZiHHjvCf.jpg

Pay close attention to how the person is holding the pad. Imagine if there were analog sticks rather than slide pads. What would their hands have to do in order to reach the sticks properly?

Honestly it doesn't look like she's holding the subscreen intending to actually use it, it looks like she's holding it on display so someone can take a picture. I think her hand positioning would change if she were playing a game using the buttons & slide pads.

Not saying anything on the stick vs. pad issue here, just wondering if sticks would really be awful to use if they were implemented. Hard to tell from the way it's being held here.

And for the record I have zero problems with my 3DS controlling how I want it to, not worried about slide pads at all.

Honestly it doesn't look like she's holding the subscreen intending to actually use it, it looks like she's holding it on display so someone can take a picture. I think her hand positioning would change if she were playing a game using the buttons & slide pads.

Not saying anything on the stick vs. pad issue here, just wondering if sticks would really be awful to use if they were implemented. Hard to tell from the way it's being held here.

And for the record I have zero problems with my 3DS controlling how I want it to, not worried about slide pads at all.

also it is possible that the subscreen might be held that way as the gyro's are being used to move the camera around or is that only in other demos?

Anth0ny

Local multiplayer for shooters and games like Mario Kart where each player isn't confined to a quarter of the tv screen has been a dream I've had since the n64 days of Mario Kart and Goldeneye. The Wii U controller is a perfect opportunity to rid the world of splitscreen multiplayer forever.

Local multiplayer for shooters and games like Mario Kart where each player isn't confined to a quarter of the tv screen has been a dream I've had since the n64 days of Mario Kart and Goldeneye. The Wii U controller is a perfect opportunity to rid the world of splitscreen multiplayer forever.

These controllers aren't rage proof and I can imagine for example some very sad christmases or thanks giving play sessions where one controller has been smashed by being thrown at someone else in a fit rage. I can see many fists through those subscreens. I await some youtube videos.

m.i.s.

Banned
Based on 3" bottom screen for 3DS and 6.2" screen for Wii U, I tried to put them to scale. If this is right, d-pad and face buttons seem about a quarter bigger in both dimensions.

Thanks for the comparisons!

I asked this question, as well as D Pad size, to those who held it at E3. I was told the D Pad is the size of the one on the Classic Controller, and the buttons are the size of the ones on the 3DS.

The buttons do look uncomfortably close in size to their handheld counterparts (and that would be shockingly bad!)

Yup, tbh I get tired of people mentioning the resolution of the screen because pixel density is much more important for any portable display...and going by comments of people that have had hands-on experience with the controller the display has a high enough PPI value that switching from a HDTV to the controller doesn't reduce the image quality that much. PPI > resolution.

sfried

3789281136_fd5ab14b34_o.jpg

Just saying.
Dual Shock design is overrated and its pad sucks. Just saying. GameCube at least had the best solution to having two sets of shoulder buttons and having analog button inputs with the GC's shoulder buttons and digital click combo. Although I prefer the original prototype "B" design. I also wish the pad was clicky like a DSi's.

The dual-paired shoulder buttons is one of the reasons I'm not really fond of the CCPro (I like the original Classic /controller more), CPPro, and standard XInput style controllers. I also end up mapping actions to just one pair.

If we get controller-specific views to not have big screen splitscreen, then what would the TV screen be used for? Seems kinda lame to just use it for leaderboards and in-game stats.

Yes, your Cheatriots could finally get their first post-Spygate Super Bowl win!

and maybe Josh Freeman and the Bucs can actually make the playoffs :O

fernoca

That would be nice.
Kinda like Sony's PS 3D TV were 2 people can play multiplayer, each wearing glasses so each sees their own point of view; instead of a tiny window on a TV.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
woah I adjusted my screen so my 3ds would fit right onto that one, didn't realize the controller was that humongous
I wish it was bigger. Something along a 7" screen diagonal.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If we get controller-specific views to not have big screen splitscreen, then what would the TV screen be used for? Seems kinda lame to just use it for leaderboards and in-game stats.

and maybe Josh Freeman and the Bucs can actually make the playoffs :O

Now you guys are just being delusional.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
clickable sticks could work like start/home/select does on the 3DS
That sounds like it might be kind of bothersome for games where they're used for sprinting, or other functions were you have to long-press and hold the circle pad in a direction at the same time.

JaseMath

I don't want circle pads OR sticks. I want circular touch pads:

- zero resistance; more comfortable to rest your thumb at any position
- virtual stick mode: the further your thumb is from the center, the greater the input (obviously)
- unlike a virtual stick on a touchscreen, you'd actually be able to feel the outside edge, plus there could be a ridge or indentation in the center so you can feel the deadzone
- ring mode: circling your thumb around the outside edge of the pad can be registered as a separate function, even when in virtual stick mode as long as you don't drag your thumb from the center first
- track mode: drag/lift/recenter thumb for mouse-like control (good option for aiming with the second pad?)
- possibility of being clickable like the newer macbook touchpads (and whatever other equivalents there are)
- if not clickable, they can at least be tapped, otherwise tapping can be registered as a separate function from clicking

It seems somewhat redundant considering the huge touchscreen RIGHT THERE, but the main concern here is ergonomics. As pointed out in the list, there would be no circular edge or deadzone ridge/indentation to feel on the touchscreen, plus it just wouldn't be comfortable to keep your thumbs stretched over the screen all the time. And I highly doubt the screen would be clickable. Take THAT.

The best part is they could still be called circle pads and confuse the hell out of everyone.

inb4 Xperia Play.

Yeah...no. Pretend sticks are a pain in the ass to use.

Jinko

We need another (proper) Pokemon Stadium. I want transfar my Pokemon into the game, so I can use them, or I can make my own team out of all the existing Pokemon. Fight gym leaders and face the Elite Four. The mini-games were a nice addition as well.

Screw that I want an actual HD pokemon game.

shnord

Neo Member
Yeah...no. Pretend sticks are a pain in the ass to use.
Only because normally you can't feel the outer edge or deadzone which is not an issue with what I was describing.

But it's already been established that I'm the only one who likes the idea so LEAVE ME ALONE. *runs away crying*

Roo

Any sugestion about the screen's material?
I'm hoping for an anti-scratch glass or something like that
I'd like to see them using the same material Apple uses for it's iPhones, iPods and iPads
but I'm not sure if those are pricey or not.

I've heard a lot of issues with 3DS' screen, so I would be very dissapointed
if they use the same material for Wii U

Any sugestion about the screen's material?
I'm hoping for an anti-scratch glass or something like that
I'd like to see them using the same material Apple uses for it's iPhones, iPods and iPads
but I'm not sure if those are pricey or not.

I've heard a lot of issues with 3DS' screen, so I would be very dissapointed
if they use the same material for Wii U

It'll be a TFT LCD screen, no glass, just a resistive touch pad - exactly the same to the 3DS' touch screen.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, just to calmly recap the latest developments along with already known information regarding GDC, in descending order of "freshness":

• EA will stream its Game Changer event at GDC live, Wii U footage moderately likely
    • Sr. Director of PR, Erik Reynolds, mentioned through Twitter there will be an EA Maxis GDC announcement. It could be SimCity 5 which would be ideal for the Wii U remote.
    • EA expressed great excitement for Wii U at E3 2011. John Riccitiello, CEO of EA, said the following:
      Nintendo's next console is truly transformational as well. A better platform than we've ever been offered by Nintendo. Deeper online capability, and all of it driven by an unprecedented partnership between Nintendo and Electronic Arts.
  • Nintendo has booked two booths at GDC. One booth is 50' x 40', the other is 20' x 10'. The booths are positioned almost strategically as some of Nintendo's closest business partners (AMD most importantly) have their booths very close. This makes it easier for Nintendo to create hype if they want to show a tech demo or tease an upcoming game for the system. Read more about this in my earlier post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35066014&postcount=6705
Also to mention is that Mr. Iwata during his keynote speech at GDC 2011 announced the greatest selling title (over 5 million copies shipped as of January 27th, 2012) this far for 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land. While I don't see any greater correlation between the GDC announcement and the sales figures, an early mention created pleasant discussions and speculation as well as hype, and it was in a time where 3DS really needed it. As Wii U has yet to hit store shelves, it plays under a different set of rules, and an announcement of a Super Mario title is less relevant, but could still be of significance if other exhibitors there decide to go a timid route and not show any Wii U gameplay footage at all, and just casually talk about the system. I don't expect this outcome, but I won't rule it out either.

I would be very glad if we got to see some updated tech demos (other than the Japanese garden) and "confirmation" of some rumoured third-party titles. Whatever happens at GDC, it looks like Nintendo has a strong presence there, both directly and indirectly.

Sources:
EA Game Changers: http://www.ea.com/1/gamechangers
Erik Reynolds: https://twitter.com/#!/buzzspinner
Riccitiello quote: http://www.thenewsmarket.com/Assets/AssetDetailsPage.aspx?GUID=faa1bbbd-aab4-4573-a1c6-e3858b13c339
Sales figures: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120127e.pdf
GDC 2011 keynote: http://media.nintendo.com/gdc2011/_ui/flv/gdc2011.mp4

Most likely. Durable and scratch resistant glass technology is expensive and will increase the CPU of the controller.

They certainly won't go with an 'Apple' approach.

Sadist

Sigh, for a moment I just dreamed about a possible hud-less Transformers Fall of Cybertron experience. Plus, a transform button assigned to the touchscreen.

Nintendo would be a fricken moron if they didn't allow for two UPad support for Madden alone. You want sports titles to finally be taken seriously on your platform? Allow players to pick and draw their own plays on the UPad while in the huttle, make adjustments/hot routes on your UPad while at the line of scrimmage, and even tell lineman where to block or what blitzes to pick up like a real QB does. All of these can be going on while the defense is making on the fly adjustments, bringing up defenders to fake or disguise blitzes, or changing coverages/alignments. The UPad can finally replicate the chess match that football has turned into (before the actual snap). If the online is up to snuff and EA takes this seriously, then Nintendo would finally have the superior version of Madden.

I agree. Madden could be a system mover if done properly.

Too much work? How is to too much work? that sounds like laziness.
Thats like saying taking turns in Monopoly is too much work.
How in the world did you all play Madden without the second screen?

Sorry but you're not giving much of an argument to support that scenario. It's too convoluted to say not doing it is lazy. The second question doesn't make sense since Madden has always been played with "regular controllers" and this is a new, unique situation. Now you have the ability to select plays from your own screen and you really think that sounds logical to have a person select their play and then hand the controller over to select their play? Anybody can envision that and acknowledge two Upads are better.

Speaking of two controllers, there was a demo at E3 where people had to draw a guesstimated line to a given length of measurement. If that were included in a game I think it would be much better having two controllers where each player draws at the same time instead of one going after the other.

shnord

Neo Member
Group hug!!
^-^

Now you have the ability to select plays from your own screen and you really think that sounds logical to have a person select their play and then hand the controller over to select their play? Anybody can envision that and acknowledge two Upads are better.
A subscreen for each player would obviously be better, but even if the system only supports one which you have to pass to the other player, it would still be an improvement over no subscreen at all.

A subscreen for each player would obviously be better, but even if the system only supports one which you have to pass to the other player, it would still be an improvement over no subscreen at all.

I'd rather have none at all than have to pass the controller like that.

I don't buy that madden could be a system mover on a nintendo console. If it was implemented perfectly, it would still require great marketing to convey the fact to the core gamers that play madden, and lets face it, Nintendo will make some horribly cheesy cringe worthy and obviously fake skit of people using it.

'OMG YEAAA THIS IS SOOOO COOOOL YEAHHHH".

i DONO THOUGH.

I don't buy that madden could be a system mover on a nintendo console. If it was implemented perfectly, it would still require great marketing to convey the fact to the core gamers that play madden, and lets face it, Nintendo will make some horribly cheesy cringe worthy and obviously fake skit of people using it.

'OMG YEAAA THIS IS SOOOO COOOOL YEAHHHH".

i DONO THOUGH.

LOL. They wouldn't even need to make a skit like that IMO. Get the game out there in the hands of players and let them experience it directly and let word of mouth go from there. Considering the possibility of MS and Sony copying the controller screen, Nintendo would need to take advantage of the time between their launch and the others to make it work though.

LOL. They wouldn't even need to make a skit like that IMO. Get the game out there in the hands of players and let them experience it directly and let word of mouth go from there. Considering the possibility of MS and Sony copying the controller screen, Nintendo would need to take advantage of the time between their launch and the others to make it work though.
that's pretty much the key strategy they need to follow not just for madden, but for everything. To make the year head start count big time.

Only time will tell.

Soroc

I don't expect much Nintendo talk at EA's presentation at GDC this year. EA naming there presentation "Game Changer", isn't that the same tag for Vita with Twitter officially #gamechanger or am I wrong about that?

If I'm not I expect heavy vita support and announcements at EA's event for GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom