• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

With the recent news that the original Fear Effect is getting a remake, I'v been thinking a fair amount about the first two games. I loved these back in the day, having played through both a few times. They had such a different tone, it was "mature" without seeming too pandering (Though in retrospect, I'm sure there's some pretty cringe-worthy moments).

They looked gorgeous too, with animated pre-rendered backgrounds, and a very cool art style. And I remember there was a lot of hype over the practically non-existent load times for the sequel after dying, which is still impressive to this day.

Anyone also have fond memories of this series? I was really disappointed when Fear Effect Inferno was cancelled, and hopefully this new remake (and that odd RTS like game) revive some interest in the brand.

Loved the first one, the atmosphere was great. Owned the second one, but never got too far in it.

Vespa

I bought the first Fear Effect but never got very far into it, I don't think I enjoyed it at the time even though I had played and loved Resident Evil. I still think it's a visually interesting title, the mix of realism and cel shading works really well and stands out more than the current look of the new remake.

It was great following this in magazines and getting hyped about it although looking back on it now I can't believe how crass some of the costumes are. I skipped the sequel because of average reviews at the time. How do you rate the sequel, BTails?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Second one is really good -- feels more polished than the first. Pretty dark and dreary game at times, but I'm into that.

I need to rebuy the sequel sometime.

BTails

I bought the first Fear Effect but never got very far into it, I don't think I enjoyed it at the time even though I had played and loved Resident Evil. I still think it's a visually interesting title, the mix of realism and cel shading works really well and stands out more than the current look of the new remake.

It was great following this in magazines and getting hyped about it although looking back on it now I can't believe how crass some of the costumes are. I skipped the sequel because of average reviews at the time. How do you rate the sequel, BTails?

Yeah, I was a little disappointed that they're not going full cel-shading for the remake, based on the short teaser, although Hana still looks a bit more "Cartoony" than realistic, which is good.

As for Retro Helix, I remember enjoying it back in the day. It's been quite some time since I played through it, and I don't remember much other than the first few sections of the game. In my recollection, it seemed very similar to the first, maybe so much so that it got less than stellar reviews?

The second game had the obnoxious advertising campaign which played up the "Hot Lesbian Action!", whereas I seem to recall it wasn't really a huge deal outside of one or two short sequences.

I was legit shocked at how fast it went. It was up and sold out on Best Buy Canada in about 3 mins. Even the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition lasted about 9 mins.

Danny Dudekisser

I don't think I want the SNES classic. I mean, Star Fox 2 is a super cool thing, but I think I actually have all the games I want on the real deal system. I mean, it'd be a cool tchotchke to have around, as a decoration, but that's kinda... it.

If I see one at a store, just like... out in the wild, I'll probably buy it, regardless.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I was legit shocked at how fast it went. It was up and sold out on Best Buy Canada in about 3 mins. Even the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition lasted about 9 mins.
You shouldn't have been surprised though. We all saw that coming. Glad I got one also. Now I just need a SFC preorder when it goes up in mid-September.

I don't think I want the SNES classic. I mean, Star Fox 2 is a super cool thing, but I think I actually have all the games I want on the real deal system. I mean, it'd be a cool tchotchke to have around, as a decoration, but that's kinda... it.

If I see one at a store, just like... out in the wild, I'll probably buy it, regardless.

Having two OEM Super Nintendo controllers to use on my Wii and Wii U is all I really want. The ability to play Star Fox 2 and some other stuff in a worse-than-on-my-actual-SNES system is just extra.

I'm actually considering maybe just selling the thing itself without the controllers lol. I bet I could get above what I paid just for that.

Peltz

Having two OEM Super Nintendo controllers to use on my Wii and Wii U is all I really want. The ability to play Star Fox 2 and some other stuff in a worse-than-on-my-actual-SNES system is just extra.

I'm actually considering maybe just selling the thing itself without the controllers lol. I bet I could get above what I paid just for that.

I agree that the two controllers in the box is the real appeal here. I felt the same way about the NES Classic.

I would be happier with a complete SF2 playable on real SNES hardware than a SNES classic, tbh.

Maybe this was answered, but is the Star Fox 2 ROM the one that was 95% complete, then fan-patched to completion that has been pirate-able for a while, or something more refined?

Wouldn't think Argonaut themselves came back to finish that last 5%.

It is the 100% version that was never released and never leaked.

So the version compiled from the source code of the latest build before being canceled and the version on the SNES Classic are different, then?

I was under the impression that the more complete leaked version compiled from the source code and the one on the SNES Classic stem from the same ROM image, just one patched to completion by fans, the other by Nintendo.

BTails

Whenever I hear donor carts Madden games are the only ones that come to mind, lol.

Haha, normally. However for StarFox 2, you need a cart donor with a Super FX 2 chip on it, and people usually don't want to lobotomize copies of Yoshi's Island.

IrishNinja

recent Game Sack on classic gaming mags was cool, man i love those things

also Fear Effect is getting remade? ...huh. never did play that one

Best Buy here.

same! between this & the GAME UK one (that says they don't ship outside of the UK?) we'll see if i end up getting shit, haha

Guys, stop gutting Yoshi's Island carts. Star Fox runs at 3fps anyway, it's a shit game.

oh man, i feel bad enough about the maddens & whatever i had used for the JRPG & such repro carts i bought years ago, SFX ones are such a waste

...unless it's Stunt Racer FX

So the version compiled from the source code of the latest build before being canceled and the version on the SNES Classic are different, then?

I was under the impression that the more complete leaked version compiled from the source code and the one on the SNES Classic stem from the same ROM image, just one patched to completion by fans, the other by Nintendo.

The leaked version wasn't the latest before being cancelled. I don't want to trace it back but one of the original developers said as much around the time SNES mini was announced.

EDIT: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/star-fox-2-programmer-on-snes-classic-release-its-bloody-awesome

There are some questions however about how complete Star Fox 2 is. Cuthbert says a complete version of the game exists, but that version of the game so far hasn't been seen. As of now, there are only buggy versions illegally distributed online.

According to the recent email interview, Cuthbert says he wasn't asked to tweak any of his original work from 1995, but sounds confident about the product that he finished back in the 90s. "I had completely given up on the chance that it might come out. I spent two years of hard work making it and loved every minute. Finally people get to see all the little cool tweaks and things, all the touches and special ideas we threw in there. This game had so much experimentation at the start and that really shows in some of the encounters you'll come across."

Khaz

The leaked one was from an almost final build, and was patched by fans to get it working 100%. But the game was gold, passed QA and was ready for production when Nintendo decided not to release it. This is the version on the SNES mini.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-26-why-star-fox-2s-release-on-snes-mini-is-such-a-big-deal

People will lobotomize a donor cart to flash this ROM onto it like they've done before.

I have a Stunt Race FX ready for it, which should be compatible. I didn't even buy it on purpose, an eBay seller sent it to me by mistake like a decade ago and let me keep it instead of the F-Zero I ordered that he sent to another person. It's only reading about Star Fox 2 and how to get a repro that I learnt that I was ready for it.

Looking at the PCB right now and I'm not eager to work on it lol. Tiny chip legs and traces :(

Danny Dudekisser

recent Game Sack on classic gaming mags was cool, man i love those things

also Fear Effect is getting remade? ...huh. never did play that one

same! between this & the GAME UK one (that says they don't ship outside of the UK?) we'll see if i end up getting shit, haha

oh man, i feel bad enough about the maddens & whatever i had used for the JRPG & such repro carts i bought years ago, SFX ones are such a waste

...unless it's Stunt Racer FX

Stunt Race FX is the biggest fucking turd. Although, I thought it was cool as hell as a kid. Especially the night level, which I spent all night playing the game to unlock, before I had to take the game back to Blockbuster.

I tried playing the game again on an emulator, once that whole thing started existing. I thought something had to be wrong. There's no way the game is this choppy. And how do I make it full screen? I realized that's just how bad that shit was and went back to playing Unreal.

The leaked one was from an almost final build, and was patched by fans to get it working 100%. But the game was gold, passed QA and was ready for production when Nintendo decided not to release it. This is the version on the SNES mini.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-26-why-star-fox-2s-release-on-snes-mini-is-such-a-big-deal

The leaked version wasn't the latest before being cancelled. I don't want to trace it back but one of the original developers said as much around the time SNES mini was announced.

EDIT: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/star-fox-2-programmer-on-snes-classic-release-its-bloody-awesome

Ah, thanks guys!

Interesting developments with that game. I've played the one floating about the internet, it was a lot like Star Fox Command. Glad they decided to go with Star Fox 64 in the long run, but it's a shame the game was almost completed at the time it should have been released.

Khaz

Guys, stop gutting Yoshi's Island carts. Star Fox runs at 3fps anyway, it's a shit game.

People hack Yoshi's island for its Super FX 2 when they don't have to, any Super FX chip will work (except the one in the original Star Fox, that one is crap). To quote https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12530

Code:
______Game______|_______PCB_______|__Rev__|_RAM__|_Battery_|_Conclusion_
Dirt Racer      | SHVC-1CA0N5S-01 | GSU-1 | 256K |   No    | No
Dirt Trax FX    | SHVC-1CA0N6S-01 | GSU-1 | 512K |   No    | Yes [1]
Doom            | SHVC-1CB0N7S-01 | GSU-2 | 512K |   No    | Yes [1]
Star Fox        | SHVC-1C0N5S-01  | MARIO | 256K |   No    | No
Stunt Race FX   | SHVC-1CA6B-01   | GSU-1 | 512K |   Yes   | Yes
Vortex          | SHVC-1CA0N5S-01 | GSU-1 | 256K |   No    | No
Wild Trax       | SHVC-1CA6B-01   | GSU-1 | 512K |   Yes   | Yes
Winter Gold     |       ???       | GSU-2 |  ??? |   ???   | ???  (I've heard it works, but it's expensive)
Yoshi's Island  | SHVC-1CB5B-01   | GSU-2 | 256K |   Yes   | No

[1] Game is playable, but it won't save high scores or Pepper coins
Also, upgrading 256K PCB's to 512K isn't hard, and it does make the game playable

dubc35

*checks main gaming side*

Wow, so glad I'm not interested in SNES mini. Happy for gaffers that got a preorder but feel bad for people who will never get one.

...buy an OG SNES and fall into the depths of retro gaming! Haha

IrishNinja

for real you could get an OG SNES & super everdrive 2 for less than what a lotta scalpers are gonna ask

i know that's not what many want but some of the more hardcore on here would have a lot more fun with that

D.Lo

Plenty of them would be happy with a Raspi too: once properly set up, it's the exact same experience.
It really isn't. And I have all of the above and know what I'm doing.

The appeal of these boxes is that they are genuine official products, very nicely done, including the outer box, the unit itself, the interface, the controllers. No quirks, no hiccups.

It's very much like how I like having real games on my shelf instead of pirating them on an everdrive - playing it is the exact same experience, but owning a genuine copy and adding the physical element is probably 75% of the appeal.

dubc35

Plenty of them would be happy with a Raspi too: once properly set up, it's the exact same experience.
If you're looking to play SNES games via hdmi, it is the better and cheaper option imo. A sd2snes won't play the Super FX games so you would still need to buy those.

IrishNinja

A sd2snes won't play the Super FX games so you would still need to buy those.

i will never understand why a few games get such hype, where that thing plays literally everything else

you can get yoshi's island, star fox, DOOM (...) and stunt racer FX (bleh) without spending too much more if you want. just saying!

dubc35

i will never understand why a few games get such hype, where that thing plays literally everything else

you can get yoshi's island, star fox, DOOM (...) and stunt racer FX (bleh) without spending too much more if you want. just saying!
SMRPG, Yoshis Island, and Star Fox alone approach the price point of a Super Everdrive (based on recollection I haven't priced them out right now). That's why they get hype imo.

+Mario RPG + other chip games you cant play on any flash cart at the moment and it's breaking the bank.

Danny Dudekisser

Eh, but it's kind the same thing as how some people wouldn't buy the Framemeister because it was fucking worthless for Chrono Cross and like two other games. When you buy some fancy retro hardware, I think there's a reasonable expectation that it just... works. Every time.

IrishNinja

shut up nerds, FX support is a tiny amount and that's what you get for selling those carts in the day anyway

SMRPG, Yoshis Island, and Star Fox alone approach the price point of a Super Everdrive (based on recollection I haven't priced them out right now). That's why they get hype imo.

right, person i quoted was talkin bout SD2SNES though

+Mario RPG + other chip games you cant play on any flash cart at the moment and it's breaking the bank.

forgot about Mario RPG, but while i'm dumping on stuff: Yoshi's Island is kinda overrated around here

Eh, but it's kind the same thing as how some people wouldn't buy the Framemeister because it was fucking worthless for Chrono Cross and like two other games. When you buy some fancy retro hardware, I think there's a reasonable expectation that it just... works. Every time.

i think that's kind of a dumb expectation, then
you want 100%, you play real carts, real hardware on an SD TV. if you want to play them properly upscaled/fitted to a whole other kind of display, you accept that it's a very niche desire & work with that's out there. even now, we have the OSSC for people on a budget or wanting fewer bells & whistles.

someone's gonna sort out that Rhea & other optical drive SD kits don't play a few korean games that people got exclusively from magazine ads or some shit, and that's gonna bother some folks too, even if it's not an option they really cared about.

we can bemoan these things, or celebrate a well-made flashcart that adds functions & access to like 99%+ of a given library. i'm with the latter.

Khaz

someone's gonna sort out that Rhea & other optical drive SD kits don't play a few korean games that people got exclusively from magazine ads or some shit, and that's gonna bother some folks too, even if it's not an option they really cared about.

I can already tell you that Rhea won't let you play King of Fighters '95 and Ultraman.

It's gamer mentality. If it's not perfect, it's dogshit. Unless it's free. But then we'll still find something to bitch about, just not as loudly.

Ah, thanks guys!

Interesting developments with that game. I've played the one floating about the internet, it was a lot like Star Fox Command. Glad they decided to go with Star Fox 64 in the long run, but it's a shame the game was almost completed at the time it should have been released.

The game was completed. They finished it. Nintendo just decided to shelve it rather than release it.

Top Bottom