• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vamphuntr said:
I should avec backed up my Fallout 1 and 2 exes :(. If they rises from their ashes under a new GOG with DRM, are the beta GOG users going to be able to redownload their original DRM free games.We should have read the TOS of GOG before it went ''down''.

This was from September 14, 2010: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ervice&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

Terms of Use

GOG.com ("Service") is operated by GOG Limited ("GOG") and accessed by you ("User) that permits you to purchase and download digital content such as but not limited to video games for personal, non-commerical use under the following terms and conditions. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SERVICES. BY USING THE SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF USE; IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT USE THE SERVICE.

Age Restrictions

Service is available only to individuals who are of legal age to form a binding contract and legally permitted to use the Service. However any individuals under the age of 18, should go over these terms and conditions with their parent or guardian, to make sure that the individual and their parent or guardian understands these terms and conditions.

Content

GOG attempts to be as accurate as possible but it does not warrant that any information on the Service is accurate, complete, reliable, current, or error-free. GOG reserves the right to add, modify, or delete any information at any time. You agree to use the Service at your sole risk and that GOG shall have no liability to you for content that may be found to be offensive, indecent, or objectionable.

You agree that the Service, including but not limited to text, editorial content, graphics, artwork, photographs, music, sound, video, screen shots and software, contains proprietary information and material that is owned by GOG and/or its licensors, and is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including but not limited to copyright. You will not use such proprietary information or materials in any way whatsoever except for use of the Service in compliance with the terms of this Agreement.

System Requirements

Use of the Service requires a Windows XP or Windows Vista compatible computer that meets or exceeds the minimum hardware specifications shown on the Product Pages of the Service. It is the Users' responsibility to check that their PC meets or exceeds the minimum requirements to run the game(s).

The products that can be purchased and downloaded from the Service have various sizes from a few megabytes to several gigabytes. it is recommended that the User have a broadband connection (ADSL or cable) to download these products from the Service. GOG cannot guarantee the speed at which the products are downloaded.

Registration

You agree to provide GOG with accurate and complete information required to register with the Service and you agree to maintain it current and updated. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your account. You agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account or password and immediately notify GOG of any unauthorized use of your account. GOG reserves the right to refuse registration of or to cancel any user account at any time for any reason.

Privacy Policy

We take Users' privacy very seriously. For more information on how we handle information you transmit to whilst using the Service, please read our Privacy Policy. By using the Service, you accept the Privacy Policy.

Payment and Prices

You agree to pay for all Products you purchase through the Service. GOG reserves the right to Change Prices and Availability of Products, which are subject to change at any time. Payment for products is handled via the Service using SSL encryption technology and carried out by credit cards. No card details are stored on the Service. All prices include VAT or Sales Tax (rate used at the date of purchase) which will be applied based on the Country chosen at the registration stage.

Support/Help with Orders

For help with any questions governing the use of the site, questions about order, technical issues with games, please refer to our online support page. If you can't find what you're looking for, you can send us a message electronically via the Support pages. You consent to receiving emails from us regarding those inquiries. We will make every effort to respond to your inquiry within 2 business days.

Refund Policy

All Sales are final.

Restrictions on Use

You agree to abide by all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations in using the Service. You agree that you shall not use the Service for any illegal purpose or in a way that will breach the terms and conditions and that you shall not use the Service to violate the rights of a third party, including without limitation intellectual property rights.

Links to Third Party Websites

The Service may contain links to other websites on the internet who are owned and operated by third parties. GOG makes no representation and is not responsible for the availability and content of these third party sites. GOG will not be held liable, directly or indirectly for any loss or damages caused by the content on these third party websites.

Indemnification

You agree to indemnify and hold harmless GOG, its parents and affiliates, and each of their directors, officers, agents, contractors, partners and employees from and against any claims arising out of or relating to content you post, submit or transmit through the Service; your connection to the Service; your violation of any rights of any person in connection with the Service; your violation of this Agreement.

Termination

These Terms of Use are effective until terminated. You agree that GOG may terminate your log in access to the Service, including your user name and password, at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability. GOG may change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspect of the Service at any time, including the availability of any feature, without prior notice or liability.

Security

You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any portion or feature of the Service, or any other systems or networks connected to the Service or to any GOG server You agree that you will not attempt to circumvent or modify any security technology or software that is part of the Service.

Disclaimer of Warranties

GOG disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, or operability or availability of information or material contained on the Service. GOG disclaims any responsibility for the deletion, failure to store, misdelivery, or untimely delivery of any information or material in respect to the Service. GOG disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from downloading or accessing any information or material on or thorough the Service. GOG has no duty or policy to update any information on the Service, and therefore, such information should not be relied upon as being current as of the date you access this site. Moreover, any portion of the materials available on the Service may include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes may be made from time to time without updates to either the Content or Products provided on the Service. THE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SITE ARE PROVIDED OR LICENSED “AS IS” WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOVEVER. ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PRORIETARY RIGHTS, ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, GOG DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OFFERED ON THE SERVICE. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, GOG DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR OTHER SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON THE SERVICE OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED ON THE SERVICE, AS WELL AS FOR ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE RECEIVED THROUGH THE SERVICE OR THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED ON THE SERVICE. GOG SIMILARLY DISCLAIMS, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY WARRANTIES FOR ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGHT THE USE OF THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO OR CLAIMS IN RESPECT THEREOF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS IN THE DOWNLOAD OF SUCH MATERIAL.

Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties. In such jurisdictions, the foregoing disclaimers may not apply to you insofar as they relate to implied warranties.

Limitation of Liability.

IN NO EVENT WILL GOG, OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES OR SUBSIDIARIES, BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT OR INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST PROFITS, DISCLOSURE OF CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION, LOSS OF PRIVACY AND LOSS OF USE, ARSISING IN CONNECTION WITH THIS SERVICE OR USE THEREOF OR INABILITY TO USE BY ANY PARTY, OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS OR SYSTEM FAILURE, EVEN IF GOG OR AFFILIATES THEREOF, ARE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES. IN ADDITION, IN NO EVENT WILL GOG BE LIABLE FOR ANY ACT OR OMISSION OF ANY THIRD PARTY INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY PROVIDER OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES, INTERNET ACCESS OR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OR SOFTWARE OR FOR ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND ITS CONTROL INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FIRE, FLOOD OR OTHER NATURAL DISASTER, WAR, RIOT, STRIKE, ACT OF CIVIL OR MILITARY AUTHORITY, EQUIPMENT FAILURE, COMPUTER VIRUS, OR FAILURE OR INTERRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL, TELECOMMUNICATIONS OR OTHER UTILITY SERVICES.

Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages. In such jurisdictions, the foregoing limitations may not apply to you.

Changes to the Terms of Use

GOG at it's sole discretion, reserves the right at any time, to change, modify, add or remove portions of these Terms of Use. It is the User's responsibility for reviewing and becoming familiar with any such modifications. Use of the Service by User following such modification constitutes User's acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement as modified. Additional terms and conditions may apply to specific portions or features of the Service.

Applicable Law; Jurisdiction

The laws of the State of California, excluding its conflicts of law rules, govern these Terms and your use of the Service. Your use of the Service may also be subject to other local, state, national, or international laws. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts of the State of California for any cause of action arising out of or relating to the Service or the Terms of Use.

Last Updated: 15th July 2008

Vamphuntr

crimsonheadGCN said:

Shit :(

Termination
These Terms of Use are effective until terminated. You agree that GOG may terminate your log in access to the Service, including your user name and password, at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability. GOG may change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspect of the Service at any time, including the availability of any feature, without prior notice or liability.

Stop It said:
This'll be my last post here as frankly, you guys are all obsessed with the idea of this being a stunt that you can't see how fucked up this situation really is.

You're asserting kind of a wild theory about what's happened in posts that are full of "I know something you don't know" secretiveness and which keep using unfamiliar initialisms without explanation. Weighing that against the simple-to-interpret PR quote with the smiley face after it, it's not hard to see how the other interpretation is getting more traction.

Acosta

TOE said:

GOG at it's sole discretion, reserves the right at any time, to change, modify, add or remove portions of these Terms of Use. It is the User's responsibility for reviewing and becoming familiar with any such modifications. Use of the Service by User following such modification constitutes User's acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Agreement as modified. Additional terms and conditions may apply to specific portions or features of the Service.

Reading TOEs is really depressing as a costumer.

Almak

charlequin said:
Higher prices and DRM would be a huge fat sack of balls. :lol

I think there are a lot of people in the GAF cohort, at least, who only accept DRM on Steam because it's
  • extremely non-intrusive,
  • very upfront about what it does,
  • from a company with Valve's reputation, and
  • comes with a lot of "value add" attached.
If GOG's future viability depends on (sigh) giving up on the DRM-free dream, they better soft-pedal that with lower prices.
I could see them possibly trying to do something none intrusive a'la the Impulse thing (whatever that was called) but I doubt it very much the prices will go down.
Did CD-Project say anything about their plans for DRM in The Witcher 2? May be some clues can be gathered from that?

balladofwindfishes said:
If it were private, it could be anyone. However, Valve is a private company so maybe it's them. I can easily see GoG being incorporated into the Steam service with very few bumps.
Why though? Steam already has some of the games GoG offered and I'm sure with their developer/publisher contacts Valve could easily pump out more if they wanted. Realistically they have no need to buy GoG.

Idunno, Valve does random stuff sometimes because they see long term profit in it.

They're on a big kick to get more people using Steam these last few months, so maybe they want to migrate the existing GOG members to Steam hoping they buy the Orange Box and Modern Warfare DLC on top of Fallout 2.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Acosta said:
It hasn't been ignored. But I thought that we reached to the conclusion that we should know the investor if it was a public company. Atari SA is listed on Euronext Paris, so I don't think they could do something like this without proper noticing in advance.
There are ways around it, especially if the publication of such an investment was not meant to be published yet. After all, you can plan things all you like before telling your shareholders that you are doing something.

However, if this is the case, we'll probably see an announcement at start of trading on Euronext tomorrow morning, possibly. Even so, there IS an investor about, and it smells like a publisher.I only posted Atari SA as who I believed it could be, although of course it depends on if CDPs relationship was only with Atari Europe (Now Namco Bandai owned) or not.

This is too complicated, and my head hurts. I just want to see where this goes from here and stop looking as badly translated Polish financial sites!

I'm going to go into next week now expecting an unveiling of their new deal with ea for some drm thing attached to the monster backlog. seems good

TheUsual

Gold Member
Almak said:
I could see them possibly trying to do something none intrusive a'la the Impulse thing (whatever that was called) but I doubt it very much the prices will go down.
Did CD-Project say anything about their plans for DRM in The Witcher 2? May be some clues can be gathered from that?

Why though? Steam already has some of the games GoG offered and I'm sure with their developer/publisher contacts Valve could easily pump out more if they wanted. Realistically they have no need to buy GoG.

The Witcher when it first came out had Tages DRM. They removed it, if I remember correctly with future patches.

Twig

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
I'm going to go into next week now expecting an unveiling of their new deal with ea for some drm thing attached to the monster backlog. seems good
At least you won't be disappointed! I'll tag along on this assumption.

Almak said:

Adding DRM removes, quite literally, the only selling point GOG has as an overall service and leaves them with all the drawbacks of being a DD-with-DRM service and none of the upsides that Steam has by being the market leader. In general, companies have recognized (or been forced to recognize) that Product Q is worth around 1.5x as much sans DRM as it is encumbered (see Apple's iTunes+ period.) Just tacking DRM on is equivalent to a price hike and would probably cost them a number of customers without at very least a big introductory storewide half-off sale or something of that sort to ease people into it.

Stop It

charlequin said:
You're asserting kind of a wild theory about what's happened in posts that are full of "I know something you don't know" secretiveness and which keep using unfamiliar initialisms without explanation. Weighing that against the simple-to-interpret PR quote with the smiley face after it, it's not hard to see how the other interpretation is getting more traction.
I'm sorry but I have been posting here, in IRC and Steam, and I have lost track of exactly where the hell I am or what I am doing.

Frankly, I ask you to check my posts and the link I have posted. More significantly read (translated obviously) the comments made after the announcement of the optimus EGM. They confirm the presence of an unknown investor who frankly, seems to be causing this.

The http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=OPTIMUS&format=detailed <--Site is throwing me SQL errors now when trying to get the details of the EGM but it is all there, if only in badly translated form. This isn't some crazy theory, as you do not call an EGM for nothing. If you piece the information we have together it pains a very interesting picture, one that doesn't go against what the PR people are saying, but merely adds a background to it.

Frankly, you would be fucking insane to pull GOG just to "re-launch" it, there HAS to be a reason behind it. All I have tried to do, is uncover that reason. If you choose not to believe me, so be it, but all I ask is that you look for yourselves rather than looking on twitter and going "omg what a fucking dick-move".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really hope they let me redownload my games one last time, I haven't finished Arcanum yet ):

Acosta

At this point, and without bothering to go into White Knights theories (Valve saving GoG!) I think the safe points are:

- GoG is going to go through severe changes.
- DRM free will probably go away, as It was one of the few specific points addressed on the message.
- This is not merely a stunt, nobody is as stupid and I think CD Prokect know their market.
- The smiley from Ohle probably means that this has a "happy" ending.

Frankly, I would accept some kind of unobtrusive DRM if that means a faster access to a bigger catalogue (I have found dozen of games from Abandonia or HOTUD that I would love to buy). Just adding EA would mean a lot to the value of GoG as shop. But I don't want to start discussing about what is acceptable and what not when we don't know nothing about what is going to happen (and everyone here has his very own priorities and preferences about this.)

Stop It said:
I'm sorry but I have been posting here, in IRC and Steam, and I have lost track of exactly where the hell I am or what I am doing.

Frankly, I ask you to check my posts and the link I have posted. More significantly read (translated obviously) the comments made after the announcement of the optimus EGM. They confirm the presence of an unknown investor who frankly, seems to be causing this.

The http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=OPTIMUS&format=detailed <--Site is throwing me SQL errors now when trying to get the details of the EGM but it is all there, if only in badly translated form. This isn't some crazy theory, as you do not call an EGM for nothing. If you piece the information we have together it pains a very interesting picture, one that doesn't go against what the PR people are saying, but merely adds a background to it.

Frankly, you would be fucking insane to pull GOG just to "re-launch" it, there HAS to be a reason behind it. All I have tried to do, is uncover that reason. If you choose not to believe me, so be it, but all I ask is that you look for yourselves rather than looking on twitter and going "omg what a fucking dick-move".

Companies sell equity to raise money and redistribute risk all the time. It could be an individual investor who might take an active interest in the company, or it could be a hedge fund. Since none of us know, we'll look at the information available to us.

Vamphuntr

Easy_D said:
I really hope they let me redownload my games one last time, I haven't finished Arcanum yet ):

According to the TOS they don't have too though I would think that if they are coming back in some form or another, they would let you download the ''new version'' of your games unless they want to lose a lot of customers.

epmode

So if the site is really done, is this the first time a major DD service has closed? I don't remember anyone pulling the plug like this, with no warning.

And honestly, I don't feel very good about GOG even if this is just temporary. Barring some incredible exclusive releases, I think I'll stick with Steam since I just don't see Valve cutting off their service with no warning.

Acosta

Following the spirit of the new name for the thread:

6zuem8.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3t6Fr4z-tA&feature=related

epmode said:
So if the site is really done, is this the first time a major DD service has closed? I don't remember anyone pulling the plug like this, with no warning.

Back in 2006, the digital distributor known as Triton closed. The service was notable because they secured the exclusive rights to distribute Prey online. The service was shutdown one day without any notification and no one knew what happened until the producer of Prey sought out information about what happened to the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_(content_delivery)

charlequin said:
Adding DRM removes, quite literally, the only selling point GOG has as an overall service
You're wrong but I see you decided to couch your statement with a clause that renders it unassailable because you get to define "overall" any way you see fit. Still, since you're hung up on your anti-DRM fetish (you were also wrong earlier, btw, losable/breakable items like codewheels, dongles, and red-gel passwords are at least as bad as classic Starforce/TAGES), I'll point out that GOG also updates software to at least passably work on Vista/W7 and provides support for titles they sell. They also provide a collection of other services/value that while provided in part by other DD services, are generally not provided at the same time, one of which being DRM-free software.

If GoG wants to remain low on the DRM boogeyman scale there are all sorts of methods that could work which would be nearly or completely invisible to the end user, like separating the data files from the installer, linking the two with a user-specific key, and having the key expire after 24 hours (which would then require redownloading the installer).

Stop It said:

Calm down. I'm telling you the reason your posts aren't getting as much attention or belief is because a) what you're saying sounds less plausible on its fae than the alternative and b) you keep explaining it with terms like "EGM" that are probably obtuse and meaningless to most of the people reading the thread. You just seem really worked up about it and from where I'm sitting (on my couch, natch) that makes what you say harder to follow and less convincing.

I understand that there's certainly some relation here between the upcoming investor meeting and the changes on the site, but the idea that a secret investor has bought in and already forced sudden, unpredicted changes to the business model of the company before the other investors have even been notified is pretty implausible on its face without something more going on. Given the PR message, it seems slightly more likely to me that this is something that was planned out in advance (and maybe got the trigger pulled to coincide with the meeting) rather than a sudden panic reaction.

Of All Trades said:
You're wrong but I see you decided to couch your statement with a clause that renders it unassailable because you get to define "overall" any way you see fit.

I don't know why you think I'm trying to split hairs in some crazy way here. Right now there's a very good reason to buy a game (that's available in multiple places) on GOG rather than other services (a lack of DRM), while with an activation-driven DRM system slapped on there'd be no significant factor separating them from Impulse or Steam. Pretty straightforward!

Still, since you're hung up on your anti-DRM fetish (you were also wrong earlier, btw, losable/breakable items like codewheels, dongles, and red-gel passwords are at least as bad as classic Starforce/TAGES)

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. As annoying as paper-driven copy-protection schemes were, none of them ever broke anyone's system registry, installed themselves secretly and irremovably on people's computers without permission, deactivated other legitimate software installed on the same system, or reported secret data back to the publishers.

DRM is a bad thing; it's a result of companies misusing copyright law to make products less useful to their customers. Like many bad things, it's also, to some degree, a fact of life, and taking an absolute stance against it is pretty unlikely to pay off. That's why I don't have an "anti-DRM fetish" or anything of the kind; I just recognize that it's something that's not in my best interest and that therefore I can rightfully expect to be compensated for (in lower prices or other value-add services) from a company that wants my business.

If GoG wants to remain low on the DRM boogeyman scale there are all sorts of methods that could work which would be nearly or completely invisible to the end user

Sure, and that's part of why I didn't say GOG would be useless or worthy of dying if they went in a DRM-using direction, just that they shouldn't expect I'd want to stay a customer if I was expected to pay the same (or higher) prices for a worse product.

eznark

Banned
Of All Trades said:
(you were also wrong earlier, btw, losable/breakable items like codewheels, dongles, and red-gel passwords are at least as bad as classic Starforce/TAGES)

Well this thread is full of smart. A "what's the third word on the fifth page" request has never broken my system.

Stop It

http://twitter.com/GOGcom/statuses/24966110080

We'll know more by tomorrow. Let's hope we'll see exactly what is going on....
charlequin said:
Calm down. I'm telling you the reason your posts aren't getting as much attention or belief is because a) what you're saying sounds less plausible on its fae than the alternative and b) you keep explaining it with terms like "EGM" that are probably obtuse and meaningless to most of the people reading the thread. You just seem really worked up about it and from where I'm sitting (on my couch, natch) that makes what you say harder to follow and less convincing.

I understand that there's certainly some relation here between the upcoming investor meeting and the changes on the site, but the idea that a secret investor has bought in and already forced sudden, unpredicted changes to the business model of the company before the other investors have even been notified is pretty implausible on its face without something more going on. Given the PR message, it seems slightly more likely to me that this is something that was planned out in advance (and maybe got the trigger pulled to coincide with the meeting) rather than a sudden panic reaction.
EGM - Extraordinary General Meeting. Usually called when a company is being taken over, changing company strategy massively or is in financial trouble.

As I said, I DID NOT make up the idea of an unknown investor, a CDP employee stated this on this Polish investment site. It exists, we just do not know who it is, or what the significance of this is. If you or anyone else are not up up on the way financial markets work or how the corporate world operates, that's not exactly my problem. However it does not make what I am saying wrong because you don't understand what I am saying.

DennisK4 said:
Signs point to some kind of restructuring, probably under not quite happy circumstances.

There is no way this is just some 'stunt' - "hey guys our DD service is suddenly closing overnight......just kiddding!"

Not exactly something that would inspire confidence you can keep downloading your games.....
Which is exactly what I have been stating repeatedly these last few hours. This is not a stunt, but do not be shocked to see GoG back online soon, albeit changed (As probably with DRM).

Dennis

Banned
Signs point to some kind of restructuring, probably under not quite happy circumstances.

There is no way this is just some 'stunt' - "hey guys our DD service is suddenly closing overnight......just kiddding!"

Not exactly something that would inspire confidence you can keep downloading your games.....

V_Ben

Banned
The wording could stand as something akin to a rebirth, without the GoG name, and a new set of ToS, including (unfortunately) DRM of some kind. They just tweeted this too;

The official statement from GOG's management about the situation will be announced soon. We'll have more details about this tomorrow.

So, we'll likely know more about this whole mess tomorrow.

Vamphuntr

DennisK4 said:
Why DRM on such old games?

Jesus, anyone who wanted to pirate those games must have done so by now.

Indeed. Most of these are so old that the copy protection is simply a cd check. Also the prices were quite low. 5-10$ would net you the game, a pdf manual, wallpapers, soundtrack and sometimes even a guide or other bonus.

Corto

My god, Kotick bought GOG?

What sad day this is... I hope they figure out quickly a way for us to redownload our games to backup them. Sad day. :(

Twig

Banned
charlequin said:
I don't know why you think I'm trying to split hairs in some crazy way here. Right now there's a very good reason to buy a game (that's available in multiple places) on GOG rather than other services (a lack of DRM), while with an activation-driven DRM system slapped on there'd be no significant factor separating them from Impulse or Steam. Pretty straightforward!
1. No client (might not happen if DRM is introduced, but it's possible).
2. All those extra goodies they include free of charge.
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY the games WORK on modern operating systems without hassle (barring a bug or similar).

That said, I agree, no DRM is a huge draw for me. But it's not the only draw.

itxaka

Defeatist
So they aren't closing but redoing the website/relaunching/getting a client/getting bought by Activision/getting bought by Valve/getting bought by Hugo Chavez?

Thank god.

Stop It said:
As I said, I DID NOT make up the idea of an unknown investor, a CDP employee stated this on this Polish investment site. It exists, we just do not know who it is, or what the significance of this is.

And therein lies the issue. The idea that business model changes might ensue from a new investor is indeed logical. The idea that they have already happened, in fact been rushed through, before that investor is revealed to the other shareholders, is somewhat less plausible. Not completely implausible -- but enough so that I'm not going to rush to that conclusion.

eznark said:
Well this thread is full of smart. A "what's the third word on the fifth page" request has never broken my system.

eznark and charlequin agreeing, cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I wish I had bought more games on there : (

I tried to get people to use it but never got much interest out of my friends.

It's the same guys that run that that also made The Witcher, right? If so they are double awesome and deserve lots of success in the future.

Safe Bet

Banned
fuck that termination clause

A digital media company cannot be allowed to simply "close shop".

Kodiak said:
I tried to get people to use it but never got much interest out of my friends.

I didn't buy games from them because I was nervous they might not be around for the long haul.

Twig

Banned
Kodiak said:
It's the same guys that run that that also made The Witcher, right? If so they are double awesome and deserve lots of success in the future.
Yeah, CD Projekt.
Safe Bet said:
fuck that termination clause

A digital media company cannot be allowed to simply "close shop".
They can.

Just because they're doing it doesn't necessarily mean they want to. This is a catch-all, for worst-case situations only, obviously. "What if in some crazy world our databases literally destroyed instantly?"

They have already stated they'll be letting us download our games at least once more, which is what any DD service with a conscience (I know, businesses in general with a conscience are rare) would do. And since they're DRM free, that's all we need.

szaromir

Banned
itxaka said:
So they aren't closing but redoing the website/relaunching/getting a client/getting bought by Activision/getting bought by Valve/getting bought by Hugo Chavez?

Thank god.
Yeah, that's probably it. GOG was profitable almost since day 1 and back in January they hinted some massive changes to the store in Fall.

Twig said:
They have already stated they'll be letting us download our games at least once more, which is what any DD service with a conscience (I know, businesses in general with a conscience are rare) would do. And since they're DRM free, that's all we need.

The thing running in my head now is a worry of how long that "chance" is going to be valid---an issue I'd not imagined prior. I mean, I'd be pretty damn worried if they only gave us like a weekend to hammer their download servers to compete for download rate against each other---hoping to actually get ahold of all needing it from our accounts and for no borked downloads along the way.

They need to provide a detailed answer to settle this all down come tomorrow or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom