• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

17 Seconds
(03-27-2017, 10:28 PM)

Originally Posted by FrankWza

I remember zimmer crying afterwards because he was so embarrassed.

"i'm ashamed of what i done"

they parodied that on snl lmao
Xater
(03-27-2017, 10:55 PM)
5 more minutes until I get to play. I am excited.
pots555
(03-27-2017, 11:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Xater

5 more minutes until I get to play. I am excited.

Could you give impressions? Still on the fence on this one. Thanks!
Xater
(03-27-2017, 11:42 PM)
Gah they unlocked the game here in Europe but the servers aren't working.

Retro mode seems fun and the framerate is real good in the Pro. Can't really say more than that right now. I really wanted to dive into DD, but that isn't happening without the servers. Gonna go to sleep now and try in the morning.
ViciousDS
(03-27-2017, 11:43 PM)
Oh shit

This comes out tomorrow

And has a documentary style my career like NBA

IM SO FUCKING IN!!!!!
skynidas
Banned
(03-27-2017, 11:44 PM)

Gah they unlocked the game here in Europe but the servers aren't working.

Retro mode seems fun and the framerate is real good in the Pro. Can't really say more than that right now. I really wanted to dive into DD, but that isn't happening without the servers. Gonna go to sleep now and try in the morning.

shit, doing the same thing then. not even gonna bother to start the game, it's late here anyways (1am).
GravyButt
(03-27-2017, 11:48 PM)
Need more Papi or Hanley or ..... well you see where im going with this hahahaha

Getting knee surgery in a few days so I know what ill be doing laid up on the couch!

Ps: anyone ever have meniscus surgery? Guess its a pretty huge tear. Booo
IcyStorm
(03-27-2017, 11:54 PM)
Does this series (and I guess The Show 17 in particular) allow me in any mode to make a custom team complete with custom players and take them through a season? Or would I have to put all of my custom players onto an existing team? I want to make my slowpitch team in this game lol.
Couleurs
(03-28-2017, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by IcyStorm

Does this series (and I guess The Show 17 in particular) allow me in any mode to make a custom team complete with custom players and take them through a season? Or would I have to put all of my custom players onto an existing team? I want to make my slowpitch team in this game lol.

Diamond Dynasty lets you make a team (including name/logo), but you are limited to using players you have cards for (and 1 custom player), which you earn from post-game rewards or buying packs (with stubs earned in game or using real money). Once you get the card they are yours to use for good, so there aren't X game contracts unlike Madden/NHL.

The bad news is I don't believe that you can't do a season with your DD team; you only do online or conquest (conquering territories from other teams controlled by the CPU). Otherwise you have to take a real team and make custom players (can't edit real team name/logos though).
Last edited by Couleurs; 03-28-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Xater
(03-28-2017, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Couleurs

Diamond Dynasty lets you make a team (including name/logo), but you are limited to using players you have cards for (and 1 custom player), which you earn from post-game rewards or buying packs (with stubs earned in game or using real money). Once you get the card they are yours to use for good, so there aren't X game contracts unlike Madden/NHL.

The bad news is I don't believe that you can't do a season with your DD team; you only do online or conquest (conquering territories from other teams controlled by the CPU). Otherwise you have to take a real team and make custom players (can't edit real team name/logos though).

Didn't they introduce DD seasons this year? I think I remember a video mentioning that.
ViciousDS
(03-28-2017, 12:08 AM)

Never done diamond dynasty......but they don't have the bullshit contract garbage like other sports games?

That's fucking awesome

It's one of he biggest reasons I hate most card modes for sports games
Xater
(03-28-2017, 12:11 AM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

Never done diamond dynasty......but they don't have the bullshit contract garbage like other sports games?

That's fucking awesome

Yes, if you own a he plays for you forever. No contracts or shit like that. That is probably a big reason why I enjoy this mode so much. It feels less restrictive.
watdaeff4
My favorite sports franchise.

Can't wait to pick this up. Though with all the other great games this year, may wait until the usual all-star game sale.
skynidas
Banned

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

That's fucking awesome

Yup, pretty much why I pre ordered the game, i hate the contract shit.
The Ummah

Originally Posted by Shock32

I'm ready...DD, RTTS, Retro mode. oh yeah.

This made me smile :)

*Simpsons gif for everything*

I haven't played since 15, this is a perfect time to jump back in. Love the RTTS improvements.
timetokill
I call 'em "death hugs"
(03-28-2017, 12:12 AM)
What's the word on the online quality?
Xater
(03-28-2017, 12:13 AM)

Originally Posted by timetokill

What's the word on the online quality?

Servers aren't working/10
Nobility
(03-28-2017, 12:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Cornbread78

So true:

I remember watching this on my TV live when I was a kid.

This still remains one of the greatest things that stands out in my childhood.
Couleurs
(03-28-2017, 12:19 AM)

Yes, if you own a he plays for you forever. No contracts or shit like that. That is probably a big reason why I enjoy this mode so much. It feels less restrictive.

Yep, the only real limitation to using players is that you can't just have one stud pitcher and use him every game, since your starting pitcher is randomly selected before the game (so it'll be your #1 vs their #1, your #2 vs their #2, etc, with rotation spot based on rating to avoid stuff like putting Kershaw as your #5 to get an unfair advantage).

It may have been just bad luck, but it felt like I very rarely got to use my #1 in MLB16.
Last edited by Couleurs; 03-28-2017 at 12:21 AM.
EdReedFan20
(03-28-2017, 12:21 AM)

Servers aren't working/10

I wonder which GB office will do the Quick Look (they've always done one, so I expect there will be one). I'd expect West, as Jeff seems like the most into Baseball. But, East sports Quick Looks are the best.
IcyStorm
(03-28-2017, 12:23 AM)

Oh, that's disappointing :( maybe I'll just do Road to the Show and save the custom stuff for Super Mega Baseball 2.
ViciousDS
(03-28-2017, 12:25 AM)

Yep, the only real limitation to using players is that you can't just have one stud pitcher and use him every game, since your starting pitcher is randomly selected before the game (so it'll be your #1 vs their #1, your #2 vs their #2, etc, with rotation spot based on rating to avoid stuff like putting Kershaw as your #5 to get an unfair advantage).

It may have been just bad luck, but it felt like I very rarely got to use my #1 in MLB16.

I really wish NBA 2K would remove contracts.......they easily have enough players and licensing deals to kill it. But they also have the biggest whales ever conspired in video games outside EAs FIFA.

Do you unlock equipment for your players as well in DD?

The random select though seems like a nice trade off though. I'd take that for infinite games and no contracts
lowhighkang_LHK
Banned
(03-28-2017, 12:35 AM)
I usually get games digital but for Griffey I'm thinking physical is the way to go. Need that cover.
TheShocker
(03-28-2017, 12:43 AM)
Picking my copy up tomorrow afternoon. Easily my favorite franchise from Sony.

I won't have time to participate in a league, but if anyone wants to play a pick up game here and there add me: TheShockerX
FrankWza
(03-28-2017, 12:49 AM)

Originally Posted by 17 Seconds

"i'm ashamed of what i done"

they parodied that on snl lmao

He was embarrassed. It was pretty embarrassing hahaha.
JasonC11
(03-28-2017, 01:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Crash331

As somebody that's not super in to baseball, but I enjoy sitting back and playing a few games or playing with my son, are there good reasons for me to buy this if the last one I had was The Show 14?

Last season they added the classic stadiums that the PS3 version had, and this year they're adding stadiums that were replaced during the time it was on PS3, but Pre-PS4 like the Metrodome and Shea. I loved playing at some of the old stadiums, like The Polo Grounds, last season.
v1lla21
(03-28-2017, 01:05 AM)
Picking up my mvp copy tomorrow but won't really get to play until the weekend :( hyped either ways.
Proteus
BOSS
(03-28-2017, 01:09 AM)
Will get to play a bit at midnight. Can't wait.
17 Seconds
(03-28-2017, 01:22 AM)
can you play retro mode online?
Corran Horn
May the Schwartz be with you
(03-28-2017, 02:12 AM)
Why wasn't the true cover art posted in the OT...

EdReedFan20
(03-28-2017, 02:25 AM)
Chills. MLB The Show 17 Intro
Cornbread78
(03-28-2017, 02:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Nobility

I remember watching this on my TV live when I was a kid.

This still remains one of the greatest things that stands out in my childhood.

Thanks for making me feel old....
Icedburden
Banned
(03-28-2017, 02:46 AM)
I'll be picking this up tomorrow... be still my beating heart
Tragicomedy
(03-28-2017, 02:50 AM)

Originally Posted by CosmicQueso

Ewww the Royals will be worse than the Twins this year.

We're going to be great this year. 2018...not so much.
Cornbread78
(03-28-2017, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

Damn, so much love went into that... Outstanding.
TheShocker
(03-28-2017, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Tragicomedy

I'm still in the camp that Hos stays. Soler better stay healthy too. Dudes already on the DL for the beginning of the season 😬.
Darklor01
Might need to stop sniffing glue
(03-28-2017, 02:59 AM)

Proteus
BOSS
(03-28-2017, 03:00 AM)

I am going to save this. Only two hours away.
v1lla21
(03-28-2017, 03:04 AM)

:') this is awesome
EdReedFan20
(03-28-2017, 03:10 AM)

Damn, so much love went into that... Outstanding.

Truly. It's my favorite intro since 2012 (the one that was all about the crazy September leading up until the 2011 playoffs). Sure, I'm a little biased that that was a good one (my Orioles played a pivotal role in game 162). But, I think this new intro has it beat in terms of sheer beauty.
Darklor01
(03-28-2017, 03:14 AM)

MizzouRah
(03-28-2017, 03:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Tragicomedy

Should be interesting to see what the team looks like next year (or at the end of July).
Cornbread78
(03-28-2017, 03:18 AM)
There's a live PlayStation event going on right now for the game:

https://youtu.be/az41PFmfuV4
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(03-28-2017, 03:18 AM)
I skipped last year but I'm back in. Itching to play road to the show again with all those improvements.

I don't really care about game intros anymore either but that intro is legit amazing.
Darklor01
(03-28-2017, 03:20 AM)

There's a live PlayStation event going on right now for the game:

https://youtu.be/az41PFmfuV4

Might be 10 minutes to first pitch but the Diamondbacks are winning.
manzoman96
(03-28-2017, 03:22 AM)
I haven't had a The Show game since 11 but I'm itching to get back in. Plus Griffey might be my favorite non-Phillies baseball player. If only my game spending wasn't going to Persona 5 soon. As soon as this goes on sale I'd like to get a copy.
MastAndo
(03-28-2017, 04:17 AM)
Is there online versus in Retro Mode? How about a season mode of some sort?

EDIT: Found the answer - it's a big fat no.
Last edited by MastAndo; 03-28-2017 at 04:32 AM.
lowhighkang_LHK
Banned
(03-28-2017, 04:50 AM)

Originally Posted by manzoman96

I haven't had a The Show game since 11 but I'm itching to get back in. Plus Griffey might be my favorite non-Phillies baseball player. If only my game spending wasn't going to Persona 5 soon. As soon as this goes on sale I'd like to get a copy.

I too am getting Persona 5. I think The Show compliments it well. You can get in and out and play some RttS or online Diamond Dynasty in 30 minutes or less. Where as Persona 5 is best left for longer available game sessions.

EDIT: Got a question, I always choose SS for RttS. But is the outfield fun? What about catcher? I don't want to be a pitcher because I want to hit well...
Last edited by lowhighkang_LHK; 03-28-2017 at 04:54 AM.
kris.
(03-28-2017, 04:51 AM)

Originally Posted by CosmicQueso

Ewww the Royals will be worse than the Twins this year.

lmao no we won't.

also very excited to get this sometime this week.
kasane
(03-28-2017, 04:58 AM)
Thats the G. O. A. T intro holy shit. In for the updated RTS