• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

More_Badass
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:12 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar


Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242904648&postcount=2"]Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links[/URL]




Age of Rivals

Kalimba

Forma.8 GO

Framed 2

Pocket Kingdom

Monument Valley 2

Missile Cards

Poly Bridge

Newton

Lowlander 2

Fowlst

Hoggy 2

Drop Wizard Tower

Battlezone 98 Redux

4D Toys

Codex of Victory

Super Samurai Rampage

More_Badass
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:32 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar


Neon Angle - July 26th

Sidewords

More releases to be added soon
___________________________________________________________________________



iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)
iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one
iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog
iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS
iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008
iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Visit the January 2017 thread for links to all 2016 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

___________________________________________________________________________





Originally Posted by Pray For Death

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

___________________________________________________________________________


Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Ketch for this month's thread title, as well as Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads
Saucycarpdog
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:41 AM)
Saucycarpdog's Avatar
It may be late but it's always worth it for your threads More_Badass!
Ketch
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:47 AM)
Ketch's Avatar
You picked my snarky subtitle! Yey!
More_Badass
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:49 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar
Had July 4th holiday stuff and laptop issues which was why the thread was later and less detailed than usual

===

Did you all see the new game from the Autumn Dynasty devs? Already out on Steam, in beta for iOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imDtmWIdIsA
http://store.steampowered.com/app/62...train_Tactics/

Essentially Door Kickers + XCOM
Saucycarpdog
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:51 AM)
Saucycarpdog's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Did you all see the new game from the Autumn Dynasty devs? Already out on Steam, in beta for iOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imDtmWIdIsA
http://store.steampowered.com/app/62...train_Tactics/

Essentially Door Kickers + XCOM

Looks fantastic!

Universal or iPad only?
More_Badass
Member
(07-08-2017, 08:53 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

Looks fantastic!

Universal or iPad only?

Not sure, not actually testing it atm. But their past games were universal

Edit: just played it a bit on Steam. iOSGAF is going to love this.
PittaGAF
Member
(07-08-2017, 12:58 PM)
PittaGAF's Avatar
I'm late to the party but Race for the Empire is fantastic.
Possibly my CGOTY (card game of the year).
The app is super slick....Ascension or Carcassone async level of sleekness.
awp69
Member
(07-08-2017, 01:49 PM)
awp69's Avatar
Great job on the OP More_Badass!!!
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(07-08-2017, 02:18 PM)
jon bones's Avatar
gotta play age of rivals

codex of victory also looks real dope
Oynox
Member
(07-08-2017, 02:36 PM)
Oynox's Avatar
Discovered one free gem no one is talking about in the "New Games" section of the App Store this week:

ĄBotHeadsď von A Small Game AB
https://appsto.re/de/hfvhkb.i
It has a very nice electronic soundtrack which really adds to the enjoyment. The optics are nothing special but definitely look polished as well. Controls are simple, you have a jetpack and move left/right when you press the respective side of the screen as well as a little bit up since you have a jet pack. Pressing both sides moves you up. I only played the first 5 levels but it seems like it is very hard to die but only when you die you may watch an add or pay coins to continue. Otherwise you start from the beginning. There is a percentage overview on the bottom side of the screen which encourages you to move on.

Admittedly it is free to play but does not seem like a rip off. It probably won't stay on my phone for a long time but I will definitely try to complete it in the next couple of days because sound, optics and controls make it really fun to play.

edit: Just figured it is from the makers of Hanger World which was more level based but had a very similar feel to it. Liked that one as well.


One other game from a previous week, few or nobody talked about but I fairly enjoy(ed):

Hyper Beam by Rinikulous Games Corp. has the subtitle "Twin Stick survial game" which really fits perfectly. You controls two dots with each thumb and try to avoid enemies and bullets. After some seconds of survival there spans a line between your dots which make it possible to destroy enemies when you touch them with the beam line. If you get hit it disappears, if you get hit once more while the line is disabled the game is over. If you manage to kill a certain number of enemies you may activate a power up which is special for each different ship.

Music fits well, graphics are serviceable but where the game really shines is controls and overall handling. It plays extremely smooth and the controls are a perfect fit for mobile because it feels just natural to move each dot with each thumb and try to locate you two dots accordingly to kill them enemies. Free to play as well with one IAP to have unlimited plays although I played it for free until now and had no problems.

mid83
Member
(07-08-2017, 04:59 PM)
It's been a while since I'm really kept up with iOS gaming (or gaming in general really).

Any major hits over the past six months I have to download immediately? Otherwise, I'll slowly browse the old OTs but figured I'd ask up front if there are any major ones I missed.
protonium
Member
(07-08-2017, 05:16 PM)
protonium's Avatar
.
PittaGAF
Member
(07-08-2017, 05:23 PM)
PittaGAF's Avatar

Originally Posted by protonium

I had to go back to the last thread to double check that you were talking about Race for the Galaxy :P

LOL sorry, yeah I meant Race for the Galaxy.
protonium
Member
(07-08-2017, 05:26 PM)
protonium's Avatar
.
awp69
Member
(07-08-2017, 09:57 PM)
awp69's Avatar
Wait! I didnít know Kalimba is the same devs as Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin (and the sequel, which I didnít care for as much).

So while Iíve been on the fence for Kalimba both on iOS and Xbox One, decided to finally go for it on mobile. Wonít play until later but looking forward to it with that added bit of info (loved Tentacles).
Twilight Princess
Member
(07-08-2017, 10:34 PM)
Twilight Princess's Avatar
Does Kalimba use crappy virtual joystick controls? Looks really good but doesn't look like the type of games that fit touch well.
Matt Frost
Member
(07-08-2017, 10:38 PM)
Matt Frost's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69

Wait! I didnít know Kalimba is the same devs as Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin (and the sequel, which I didnít care for as much).

So while Iíve been on the fence for Kalimba both on iOS and Xbox One, decided to finally go for it on mobile. Wonít play until later but looking forward to it with that added bit of info (loved Tentacles).

Yes, Flashbulb and Press Play made this one. Should be really good. Please post your impressions
More_Badass
Member
(07-08-2017, 10:40 PM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twilight Princess

Does Kalimba use crappy virtual joystick controls? Looks really good but doesn't look like the type of games that fit touch well.

The touch controls are great for a mobile platformer. Havent had any issues
Saucycarpdog
Member
(07-08-2017, 10:54 PM)
Saucycarpdog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Twilight Princess

Does Kalimba use crappy virtual joystick controls? Looks really good but doesn't look like the type of games that fit touch well.

It's actually just virtual buttons not joysticks. Doesn't reallly matter though because the controls are incredibly smooth and responsive.
Twilight Princess
Member
(07-08-2017, 10:58 PM)
Twilight Princess's Avatar
Thanks guys, i'll check it out!
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(07-09-2017, 12:08 AM)
nicoga3000's Avatar
Any racing game suggestions? I downloaded Real Racing 3 but realized that it's riddled with IAP.
awp69
Member
(07-09-2017, 12:12 AM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

Any racing game suggestions? I downloaded Real Racing 3 but realized that it's riddled with IAP.

If you donít already have it Horizon Chase is a no brainer. I know Asphalt 8 is loaded with IAPs but I used to love that game (havenít played in a while) and you can play a for hours without paying.

Vs. Racing 2 is good for top down racing.

Edit: looks like Vs Racing 2 must have been updated with tons of IAPs. Donít recall that when it first came out
Carton
Member
(07-09-2017, 01:41 AM)
Carton's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

Any racing game suggestions? I downloaded Real Racing 3 but realized that it's riddled with IAP.

Originally Posted by awp69

If you donít already have it Horizon Chase is a no brainer.

I second this. It's one of my favourite and most played games on iOS.
nicoga3000
Saint Nic
(07-09-2017, 03:18 AM)
nicoga3000's Avatar
Alright, Horizon Chase is downloading. Is Asphault 8 fun and worth my time despite the IAP? It's not that I don't love RR3 as a quasi-sim on my phone, it's just that reading online about events makes it look like you NEED to spend money to complete them (the legacy events apparently). So while I'm no stranger to spending money on IAPs, I tend to avoid games that force them down your throat to progress.
Animal
Member
(07-09-2017, 03:20 AM)
Animal's Avatar
Just what I needed. Thanks for the great thread!
Saren is Bad
Member
(07-09-2017, 03:20 AM)
Saren is Bad's Avatar
Hello I asked in the previous thread, but was just wondering if the Final Fantasy games are good on iOS? Eyeing 4...
awp69
Member
(07-09-2017, 04:01 AM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by nicoga3000

Alright, Horizon Chase is downloading. Is Asphault 8 fun and worth my time despite the IAP? It's not that I don't love RR3 as a quasi-sim on my phone, it's just that reading online about events makes it look like you NEED to spend money to complete them (the legacy events apparently). So while I'm no stranger to spending money on IAPs, I tend to avoid games that force them down your throat to progress.

In Asphalt 8, unless it got worse since I played it regularly, you can play a ton of events without paying. It eventually gets to the point where you would probably need to pay to get into some of them, but I seriously probably put 100+ hours into that game and just bought like a $1.99 starter car pack way back when. I actually regretted that because those cars were cheap that I would have been able to afford using in game money.

I love arcade racers and A8 is by far the fastest, most polished experience on iOS. Also has Burnout style takedowns if you like that.

Not going to lie that they donít try to push IAPs in your face, especially for online (the only thing that uses ďenergyĒ).

But it can be played a long time without paying a cent. Or at least could be played when I was playing it.

And I couldnít stand Real Racing 3ís freemium system.

If you do get A8, just ignore the extra boosts and crap unless you have currency to get them. You can win races without them.
okno
Member
(07-09-2017, 07:45 AM)
okno's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saren is Bad

Hello I asked in the previous thread, but was just wondering if the Final Fantasy games are good on iOS? Eyeing 4...

They all look, play, and control great. I have played 2, 3, 4, 9, and FFT and enjoyed them all. Admittedly, I did not beat a single one of them, but they are great poets and you can tell SE invested time in them and did it proper.
Pachimari
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:28 AM)
Has any of the Final Fantasy games been updated to 64-bit? What about Phoenix Wright? Chaos Rings 3? The World Ends With You? Lumines?

I refuse to update to iOS 11 if these don't get updated.
awp69
Member
(07-09-2017, 01:16 PM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pachimari

Has any of the Final Fantasy games been updated to 64-bit? What about Phoenix Wright? Chaos Rings 3? The World Ends With You? Lumines?

I refuse to update to iOS 11 if these don't get updated.

All of the games above have 64-bit support, including the Final Fantasy games except Final Fantasy Tactics (seen people on TA bitching about the last one when Square Enix recently put it on sale without mentioning that).
sheaaaa
Member
(07-09-2017, 02:30 PM)

Originally Posted by okno

They all look, play, and control great. I have played 2, 3, 4, 9, and FFT and enjoyed them all. Admittedly, I did not beat a single one of them, but they are great poets and you can tell SE invested time in them and did it proper.

I remember hearing bad things about 6 and it looks like a disgrace from the App Store screenshots, so your mileage may vary here.
Matt Frost
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:34 PM)
Matt Frost's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69

Wait! I didnít know Kalimba is the same devs as Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin (and the sequel, which I didnít care for as much)...(loved Tentacles).

I completed the first 100% and and been playing the sequel for a long time now, pretty deep into it and i say is the same quality but in full 3D. Is kind of the same as before, but now you see Tentacles from behind, and watch the world move around you. Is a delight to see the screen rotations and all the changed. But you are still doing the same, moving between obstacles grappling around and grabbing enemy eyes. There are levels (pride, greed,...) that when completed serve as checkpoints. Is sort of endless but not like truly endless. More in the vein of Dragon Hills. There is a shop with lots of upgrades and the economy is really healthy. Tentacles: Enter the Mind is really awesome and shouldnt miss it because is in 3D or free.
Matt Frost
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:43 PM)
Matt Frost's Avatar
Also been playing the new game from Illusion Labs, Bacon Escape. One of my favorite devs. Is a level based style of runner but on a rollercoaster. Controls either by tap or tap and hold to maneuver the obstacles themselves, not the character like LeVamp, that you will have to remember in order to avoid them. Feels a bit like Bit.Trip Runner as well. And the fun begins when the game throws at you different obstacles combining those two control methods while taking different branches. The game is fast, fun and challenging and adds a new spark to the level based runner formula. Is free to play with ads but never forces them. You can opt to watch a video to unlock characters (unlocked most while watching a movie) or find them ingame. If you arent burned of this genre, try it, maybe it will suprise you. It has a lot of quality. And is free so no harm done if you dont like it.
awp69
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:46 PM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by Matt Frost

I completed the first 100% and and been playing the sequel for a long time now, pretty deep into it and i say is the same quality but in full 3D. Is kind of the same as before, but now you see Tentacles from behind, and watch the world move around you. Is a delight to see the screen rotations and all the changed. But you are still doing the same, moving between obstacles grappling around and grabbing enemy eyes. There are levels (pride, greed,...) that when completed serve as checkpoints. Is sort of endless but not like truly endless. More in the vein of Dragon Hills. There is a shop with lots of upgrades and the economy is really healthy. Tentacles: Enter the Mind is really awesome and shouldnt miss it because is in 3D or free.

I played it but it just didnít connect with me. Didnít really bother me that it was F2P or 3D. I donít know. Might have to give it another try one of these days.

As for Kalimba, really loving it so far. Top notch, AAA quality with great voice narration. Graphics arenít much to write home about but the level design and mechanics are fantastic. Youíre dealing with color matching as well as controlling two different characters at once.

Some of it can be tricky trying to use obstacles and other things to make things line up when they move to avoid death from either the opposite color, falling or moving enemies. Very clever game.

ó

Oh, and, yes, I picked up Bacon Escape a while ago. Great little game. F2P is a little more intrusive than their Mr. Crab games but still not too bad. And pretty fun.
Omega Kirby
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:47 PM)
Omega Kirby's Avatar
So my uncle just gifted me his iphone 7+. So I think I'm switch from a Galaxy S6 to Iphone now. Um, is it a good upgrade?
awp69
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:52 PM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by Omega Kirby

So my uncle just gifted me his iphone 7+. So I think I'm switch from a Galaxy S6 to Iphone now. Um, is it a good upgrade?

All subjective. I know people that love their Samsung Galaxys, including my son, who will never go to Apple. One of those things where if you like the control Android phones give you and things like emulators, then Apple phones may disappoint.

But for regular gaming, thereís still no comparison. iOS is still miles better in terms of what is available.
Matt Frost
Member
(07-09-2017, 11:57 PM)
Matt Frost's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69

I played it but it just didnít connect with me. Didnít really bother me that it was F2P or 3D. I donít know. Might have to give it another try one of these days.

As for Kalimba, really loving it so far. Top notch, AAA quality with great voice narration. Graphics arenít much to write home about but the level design and mechanics are fantastic. Youíre dealing with color matching as well as controlling two different characters at once.

Some of it can be tricky trying to use obstacles and other things to make things line up when they move to avoid death from either the opposite color, falling or moving enemies. Very clever game.

ó

Oh, and, yes, I picked up Bacon Escape a while ago. Great little game. F2P is a little more intrusive than their Mr. Crab games but still not too bad. And pretty fun.

I recommend giving Tentacles: Enter the Mind a second spin. And to anyone reading this, the first one is a premium game that i consider as one of the best AppStore games ever. Very innovative. And updated for iOS11.

As for Kalimba.... sold! Too many positive reviews on this thread alone, and is from another favorite dev of mine.

Originally Posted by Omega Kirby

So my uncle just gifted me his iphone 7+. So I think I'm switch from a Galaxy S6 to Iphone now. Um, is it a good upgrade?

Definitely. The thing about iPhones are that they scream quality. Two years after i bought my 6 and still looks like new. Havent slowed down at all. Havent degraded on bit (only 32 bits but is all for the sake of a better more unified place). Oh, and iOS goes first for games.
awp69
Member
(07-10-2017, 12:08 AM)
awp69's Avatar
Oh..and for Pitta, finally got Age of Rivals. Went though the tutorial when I was half asleep last night but seems cool. Probably need to do the tutorial again though.

Iíll see if itís GLORIOUS.
Rodney McKay
Member
(07-10-2017, 12:51 AM)
Rodney McKay's Avatar
Anybody do a lot of gaming on an iPhone SE?
I'm nearly done paying off my S7 Edge and I wouldn't mind having a smaller phone that I can have my iOS games on (I typically play on an iPad Mini 2).

I had an iPhone 5 (or 5S, i forget) years ago, but found the smaller screen size a little hard to use. Certain games like Plants vs. Zombies it was hard to tap areas close to the edge of the screen (not sure if I just wasn't use to it, or if it was a fault of my phone). I know I could get a 6S or even a 7, but I do like the small size, cheap price, and great battery of the SE.


Also, wow, I didn't know Battle zone came out for the iPad. Always wanted to give that a try.
protonium
Member
(07-10-2017, 03:45 AM)
protonium's Avatar
.
Omega Kirby
Member
(07-10-2017, 07:09 AM)
Omega Kirby's Avatar

Originally Posted by protonium

Short answer, yes. Long answer, it depends. The S6 came out in 2015 so spec-wise the iPhone 7+ is better/newer. iOS gaming still seems healthier and prioritized over Android, if that's relevant to you. On the other hand if you're deeply entrenched into Google's ecosystem or like tinkering with your phone then...I would use both 😁.

I just want better performance in games. I don't mess around with my phones customization . So I guess I'll hop over to my first ever Iphone since IOS gets all the good stuff
More_Badass
Member
(07-10-2017, 07:25 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar
I'm hooked on Dream Quest again. Seriously one of the best card game hybrids on the App Store
PittaGAF
Member
(07-10-2017, 08:10 AM)
PittaGAF's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69

Oh..and for Pitta, finally got Age of Rivals. Went though the tutorial when I was half asleep last night but seems cool. Probably need to do the tutorial again though.

Iíll see if itís GLORIOUS.

It's a highly original deck builder and a great game imho with tons of unlocks.
Not playing as much as I want because I'm obsessed with another card game now (Race for the Galaxy) but it's surely worthy.
Saucycarpdog
Member
(07-10-2017, 08:18 AM)
Saucycarpdog's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

I'm hooked on Dream Quest again. Seriously one of the best card game hybrids on the App Store

Such a good game.

Isn't there a game coming out soon that's a lot like it? Or was it just someone here comparing Age or Rivals to it?
Ketch
Member
(07-10-2017, 08:30 AM)
Ketch's Avatar
Heroes of might & magic 3, yey or ney?
protonium
Member
(07-10-2017, 02:53 PM)
protonium's Avatar
.
Oynox
Member
(07-10-2017, 02:54 PM)
Oynox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ketch

Heroes of might & magic 3, yey or ney?

Did not hear good things on the "HD Port". It is way better to use the HD Mod instead of buying this version apparently though this does not apply to the iOS version f course.
killercow
Member
(07-10-2017, 02:58 PM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by protonium

I've been going back and forth on picking up HOMM3 since it came out on iOS... By all accounts that I've read it's a solid offering except for some gripes about the UI. It doesn't and won't have either of the two expansions but apparently you can load maps to it using iTunes. I don't know if it supports 64-bit though.

I'm gonna stick to my GOG copy for now but you should report back if you buy it :D.

Given the last update's release date it must be 64Bit.
HamPster PamPster
Member
(07-10-2017, 07:52 PM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Hoggy 2

Raptisoft is still alive?!? I need more Solomon's Keep!

Thread Tools