• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! This is similar to what my Wife and I do every season for our website, although we watch the 1st episode of near everything. The only stuff we skip out on is second seasons we never watched the first season of, or 2nd seasons of stuff we wrote off as bad/not recommended previously. Good luck on making it through! I'm cautiously excited for Clockwork Planet and Re:Creators too.

Haha, yeah, I stupidly thought last season I should "just keep it to three episodes each" since the season was relatively light. Now I'm looking at between 15 to 20 shows for my preview and regretting ever having started down this path! Oh well, it's been a trip catching up for this season; I've spent the last couple of weeks binge watching Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, and Rage of Bahamut as I hadn't seen them before and wanted to cover the sequels seasons, so I'm pretty pumped for tomorrow. ;)

jbug617

Banned
Sentai announced they licensed Armed Girl's Machiavellism and it's Anime Strike exclusive
sentai-filmworks-armed-girls-machiavellism.png

This Spring 2017, get into the biggest school throw-down of the century in Sentai Filmworks' newest acquisition, Armed Girl's Machiavellism, soon available to stream exclusively in the U.S. on Anime Strike, the curated on-demand anime subscription from Amazon Channels.
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-armed-girls-machiavellism

Are any of y'all going to Anime Boston this weekend?

My wife and I are. Just this Saturday though. If we're going to review the season we can't really futz around at the convention for more than one day. We're mostly going to see the Attack on Titan watch party and the Crunchy and Funimation industry panels. And of course hit up the dealer and artist alley rooms.

JCG

Finished Code Geass season 2. Last 6ish episodes were odd. I can't tell if if the show is brilliant, or the creators had no clue what they were doing and just sort of stumbled to a fitting conclusion, it really felt like they just made shit up as they went. Show really reminds me a lot of Escaflowne.

Also felt like they condensed two seasons into one, they seemingly got the endgame, and then there was still 5 more episodes.

There are a shit ton of loose plot threads, which I guess Season 3 may address. I do think I am growing to enjoy Anime that doesn't really explain shit more and more though.

They knew the real endgame, just not necessarily how to get there. The staff has been pretty consistent in stating that the ending does reflect their original intentions, regardless of the time slot changes, and I'd say it definitely wrapped up the most important stuff. It's more like they had to rush through certain things in order to reach that point, because of the time they were forced to spend on redundant material in early R2. That and they embraced the craziness of certain twists along the way. In any case, I am glad that you enjoyed the show.

There are a few loose threads, which might be used for a third season or movie sequel, but in my opinion they're not very significant ones on paper (for example, the origins of Geass might be nice trivia yet doesn't have much direct relevance, unless you want to tie that back to a new threat).

Qurupeke

Ghost in The Shell 2017

Surpassed my expectations greatly. It's really astonishing when a film manages to do that... It was really, really bad. Felt like a non cohesive series of set pieces for the most part. I may have liked some stuff, like the general atmosphere the movie was going for, if everything else wasn't terrible. ScarJo was bad too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Scum's Wish Episode 12:

Okay, didn't think I would say this but Scum's Wish may have earned itself my nod for both Anime of the Season and Anime of the Year with this final episode.

Are any of y'all going to Anime Boston this weekend?

Nope. I was unable to put my cosplay together and I hate going out of costume. I used to do panels for it, Katsucon and ACen but to be honest I just don't feel like I belong in that crowd of people that go anymore. Seems it's more of an excuse for socially awkward people to be loud and abrasive at each other as a release and what's popular gets exploded in attention while what is more subdued or unknown get crushed to the side. Which is generally how things go anyways but you'd figure in a niche space specifically catering to the hardcore there would be more variety. And then those who actually DO like the lesser known stuff you like are even more socially uncomfortable and talk about boobs instead of philosophy and you wonder why you bother anymore.

I had a panel called "Anime and Manga You Haven't Heard of But Should!" and it met with varying levels of success/indifference.

Cornbread78

Scum's Wish - END
This was the stopping point for the manga as well, correct?

In the end, the point of this ending was to show just how much Hanabi had matured emotionally through everything she endured that school year. The ending was pretty surprising as you would expect normally that
her and mugi would have hooked up

The strong point of this anime was in depiction of the confusion and pain felt emotionally when dealing with certain relationships. Trying to learn how to explore emotions through physical means is never a good way to go about things as Hanabi accurately learned and described in that final episode.

The show was damn uncomfortable to watch at times because the confusion emotional immaturity came though to the viewer perfectly, you wanted to hate Akane, you wanted to shake Hanabi from her stupidity and Mugi you just wanted to kick in the balls for being a douche'. And Sensei, well, his point of view wasnlt fleshed out very much, but it was clear his wish was to save Akane from herself and prove to her there was a better way to be a part of something. Bottom line is that this show was excellent and really left it's mark on what it was trying to get across.

ill make sure to make it to the wall of shame this season!

Interview with Demi girls was great! Also Konosuba, dragon maid was actually a surprise for me.

rothgar

Happy belated birthday to my favorite seiyuu, Megumi Hayashibara, who turned 50 yesterday! Anything new roles for her this season?

zulux21

Guess that might be bad for people looking forward to Sagrada Reset then.

Not sure if anybody was looking forward to Armed Girls here...

gah... I was looking forward to Reset and I was planning on watching Armed Girls but only if funimation did a dubcast of it, guess I will have to wait for sentai to dub it now and watch it then.

oh well as long as clockwork planet doesn't go anime strike exclusive I will be fine :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
More series should be adapted like AoT.

Let the manga get, and stay, ahead of the anime. Adapt arcs after they are completed. Air in seasons.

If the anime and manga are too close to each other, you have redundancies where the same content is being released in multiple formats closely enough that the consumer gets little added value.

For instance, why would an anime viewer of one piece want to read the manga? They want to see the story animated. They nust finished Zou, and totland is just around the corner. The manga isn't far enough ahead that they'd get that much out of spoiling what was to come in their preferred medium.

Similarly, why would a manga viewer want to see the anime? The anime doesn't add to the experience of one piece;it detracts from it. The blanks and in betweens of the still panels are filled in more poorly than our imaginations. The story outline isn't meaningfully expanded upon. And the content that does get adapted is needlessly padded due to concerns of maintaining spacing from the manga so that there's enough manga content to produce and preproduce without a lapse in new episode releases. The story is so recent in the manga that it's also fresh in readers' minds. There's no appeal to see the same events you literally just read in animated format, especially in such a downgraded format.

gah... I was looking forward to Reset and I was planning on watching Armed Girls but only if funimation did a dubcast of it, guess I will have to wait for sentai to dub it now and watch it then.

oh well as long as clockwork planet doesn't go anime strike exclusive I will be fine :p

lol

JulianImp

Tales of X - S1 END
I kind of hated the way this show jumped all over the place with its scene transitions, as it often led to a lack of build-up that was all kinds of underwhelming. One moment we'd have the party enjoying a breathtaking view with epic music in the background, the next they'd have a short conversation en-route to their next destination, and a couple seconds later they'd be arriving there, leading to a game-y feeling of having the party just fast-travel around places without ever getting to flesh out the world.

Basically, it felt like the plot was heavily condensed and rushed so it'd cover what it did within a single cour, and that really hurt both the character arcs and worldbuilding alike. Also, what the heck were those two episodes about another Tales with the demoneater girl as the protagonist? Was that supposed to be some kind of ad for a more recent game in the franchise, or is actually going to matter in the other show's plot in later seasons? It really felt out of place, and took up a sixth of the first seasons' episodes, which further aggravated the feeling of the main show being in fast-forward mode or something.

These Sentai deals better not lock none-US viewers out.
Tales of X - S1 END
Also, what the heck were those two episodes about another Tales with the demoneater girl as the protagonist? Was that supposed to be some kind of ad for a more recent game in the franchise, or is actually going to matter in the other show's plot in later seasons? It really felt out of place, and took up a sixth of the first seasons' episodes, which further aggravated the feeling of the main show being in fast-forward mode or something.
episode 5 and 6 were ads for Berseria.

Also, what the heck were those two episodes about another Tales with the demoneater girl as the protagonist? Was that supposed to be some kind of ad for a more recent game in the franchise, or is actually going to matter in the other show's plot in later seasons?

Pretty much just an ad for Berseria, which came out around that time. It's a prequel to Zestiria, and later episodes in X do try and tie into it by dropping names and events from the game.

zulux21

why the laugh?
it's a legit worry given that sentai has the rights to no game no life already, so it wouldn't be surprising if they picked up clockwork planet. Also wouldn't be surprising if crunchy or funimation got it either though.

or do you find it odd that I am excited for a new series from the creator of my 2014 AOTY no game no life :p?

why the laugh?
it's a legit worry given that sentai has the rights to no game no life already, so it wouldn't be surprising if they picked up clockwork planet. Also wouldn't be surprising if crunchy or funimation got it either though.

or do you find it odd that I am excited for a new series from the creator of my 2014 AOTY no game no life :p?

Just how many anime will it take for you to warm up to anime strike?

why the laugh?

I'm pretty sure that poster actually works for Sentai so, uh, take that as confirmation that Clockwork Planet will be Anime Strike exclusive.

More series should be adapted like AoT.

Let the manga get, and stay, ahead of the anime. Adapt arcs after they are completed. Air in seasons.

That's pretty much the trend that most Manga Adaptations have been following for the past decade or so. With the exception of Fairy Tail, all the more recent "big" manga adaptations have followed the seasonal model (Bakuman, Hajime no Ippo, Gintama, Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, MHA, Food Wars, OPM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom