• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U resolution/fps reference thread

I think locked and capped can still be used. To me locked means to stay at that frame rate it doesn't dip below 60 or go above it,it's locked in place. Capped to me means the frame rate can fluctuate but can't go above 60,like it has a lid on it.

Even then, locked is essentially same as capped, just with more headroom.

Ninja Dom

They have two different res's depending on multiplayer and singleplayer. Multiplayer is 60fps.

They really have two different resolutions? What in the world?

It does, though, and when it does, it's like Wind Waker HD and the entire game slows down.

My mistake:

Call of Duty Black Ops 2, single player 60fps target but varies wildly

Call of Duty Black Ops 2, multiplayer 60fps locked

Resolution is the same:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Intentional frame drop? What's this? Because whenever I play Link Between Worlds I told it was 60fps even in 3D, but sometimes I feel as if the frame rate drops.

I haven't played ALBW yet but it's common in the 3d games, where the frame stops to emphasize big hits. It makes it seem like the game slows to a crawl when you spin attack when enemies are all around you as each individual hit has the stop and it happens rapidly.

JakeD

I haven't played ALBW yet but it's common in the 3d games, where the frame stops to emphasize big hits. It makes it seem like the game slows to a crawl when you spin attack when enemies are all around you as each individual hit has the stop and it happens rapidly.

considering the slowdowns only happen when taking out huge groups of enemies at once, i've wondered if this was the case. it would explain why DF didn't ever see it drop below 60 (because the frames are there, it's the actual gameplay thats slowing down) or maybe they just never took out any huge groups of enemies during their playthroughs, which is possible because its pretty few and far between

regarding resolution - 3d world and the last of us are the only two games i've played through at 720p (as opposed to 1080p) recently. it was incredibly obvious for TLOU, and i could barely tell with SM3DW. the art design is really the determining factor. as much as i'd like every wii u game to be 1080p, it really doesn't matter if they are all as pretty as 3d world. (not saying TLOU wasn't pretty, it just strove for more realism which made the 720p more noticeable)

Through more research it seems that every game has fps dips in some form. Should I only mention the dips if they are very noticeable? Will add stuff about AA and V sync as well at some point.

scitek

Through more research it seems that every game has fps dips in some form. Should I only mention the dips if they are very noticeable? Will add stuff about AA and V sync as well at some point.

Practically every game dips in framerate at some point due to uncontrollable things like the camera swinging around and filling the screen with a smoke effect or something. 2D games are the ones less likely to ever dip due to their fixed nature, but even things happen in those sometimes.

VanWinkle

Yeah, no need to mention "with dips". It's way too common a thing. Nobody expects 60fps locked on console games really.

Oh, Need for Speed Most Wanted is 720p/30fps.

Take out the "with dips" bit, very few games actually are 30 or 60fps at all times. Just mention the framerate the game is running on most of the time, people get it.

antibolo

Banned
Never realized any of these games were 720p. Which further proves how much it doesn't matter. If targeting 720p means better performance and/or more visual effects then it seems like the first tradeoff one should do.

bede-x

Wouldn't "(100%) stable" be a better word? To me, locked and capped are pretty much synonymous, because the act of locking the framerate is the same as the act of capping the framerate. You can't cap or lock the framerate upwards.

Yep, since it's hard to ensure that you never get behind in the rendering of the next frame, they are practically synonymous. Or to quote Dark10x:

When they say "locked 30 fps", though, they are typically referring to a framerate limiter as in the framerate is prevented from going beyond 30 for the sake of consistency.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87532954&postcount=142

If one wants to stick with the claim that locked means staying at the same framerate always, then I'd wager very few games, if any, in the first post, qualify.

VanWinkle

Never realized any of these games were 720p. Which further proves how much it doesn't matter. If targeting 720p means better performance and/or more visual effects then it seems like the first tradeoff one should do.

Do you have a 1080p TV? If so, I'm very surprised to hear you didn't realize. When I moved my Wii U from my 720p TV to my new 1080p display, I was shocked to see how much worse the games suddenly looked.

I guess you could qualify it with "effectively locked" or something with footnotes on the known instances of dip if you want to get technical. I'm sure there is a debate to be had about if "locked" has to mean "truly locked" that I am probably not qualified to take part in.

eXistor

There's probably about 10 instances of very noticeable slowdown that I had while 100 percenting the first 8 worlds. None affected gameplay dramatically, but the drop from 60 to what appeared to be 15-25 was jarring. The most recent example was in Star 1 when Plessie rides through a group of the little M&M-looking enemies.
It's intentional. My colleague thought the same thing, but it's just the slight pause the game gives when hitting an enemy, it's just more noticeable when you hit a large group of enemies at once, like in Star-1.

There are dips in SM3DW. Go to the circus levels (Switch Block something...). When you make all the blue squares yellow, a door opens and there's a huge beam of light. There is always some slight slow down. It's definitely noticeable. Does not take away from the game.

fred

Do you have a 1080p TV? If so, I'm very surprised to hear you didn't realize. When I moved my Wii U from my 720p TV to my new 1080p display, I was shocked to see how much worse the games suddenly looked.

The majority of 1080p telly owners don't sit the required distance from their tellies to be able to physically tell the difference between 720p native and 1080p native even before you start to think about a 720p native game upscaled to 1080p. A lot of the time it's purely psychological.

Ridley327

Oh boy, so much bullshit.

Pikmin 3 does drop, but it's mainly during the level fly-bys before you take control of the captains. I don't think there's many actual gameplay instances of the framerate dropping, and if there are, they're very minor.

WWHD definitely does drop pretty hard if you're in a situation with a lot of explosions, like fighting a Big Octo or a lot of small ships, and that's not just the hit-pause in effect. Otherwise, though, it's very, very smooth.

LegendX48

Intentional frame drop? What's this? Because whenever I play Link Between Worlds I told it was 60fps even in 3D, but sometimes I feel as if the frame rate drops.

because it does. On one of the later dungeons there was a noticeable drop as I was just walking across a bridge.

VanWinkle

The majority of 1080p telly owners don't sit the required distance from their tellies to be able to physically tell the difference between 720p native and 1080p native even before you start to think about a 720p native game upscaled to 1080p. A lot of the time it's purely psychological.

Wait, a lot of the games that looked much worse on my 1080p display were actually a psychological effect on my part?

ozfunghi

I'm almost 5642% sure that Monster Hunter is 1080p, since i remember seeing a goofy trailer that kept stressing the game was 1080p.

Ok, I'm almost certain Monster Hunter is 1080p.

Fake edit:
Yes, here's a story about it from a somewhat-reputable website: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/monster_hunter_3_ultimate_will_run_at_1080p_on_wii_u

Real edit:
The NE post you linked only talks about frame rate, and the YouTube video just happens to be 720p.

Was originally not sure of that article because in it ZombiU is claimed to be 1080p which it isn't, but many other sites claim MH to be 1080p and the screenshots seem convincing. Thanks for the heads up, edited the OP.

Papercuts

Pikmin 3 does drop, but it's mainly during the level fly-bys before you take control of the captains. I don't think there's many actual gameplay instances of the framerate dropping, and if there are, they're very minor.

WWHD definitely does drop pretty hard if you're in a situation with a lot of explosions, like fighting a Big Octo or a lot of small ships, and that's not just the hit-pause in effect. Otherwise, though, it's very, very smooth.

WWHD also drops on certain bosses.

danielcw

Even then, locked is essentially same as capped, just with more headroom.

No it is not.
Both have in common that the framerate can go above the mentioned value,
but if the framerate is caped, it can go way below.
If a framerate is locked, than it is locked, it does not go below.

It's nice when posters who don't know what they are talking about just let everyone know like this. Saves time in the future.

Good to know that if we all sat far enough away from our tvs, we could make Panzer Dragoon look like it was 1080. Who needs HD collections at all?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
No it is not.
Both have in common that the framerate can go above the mentioned value,
but if the framerate is caped, it can go way below.
If a framerate is locked, than it is locked, it does not go below.
No, you've got it the wrong way around, Cizeta is right. Capped and locked both mean the framerate doesn't go above the specified value. It's technically impossible to 'lock' a framerate and keep it from dropping if the hardware power isn't there to support it. So, the difference between 60FPS locked and 60FPS capped is that the 'locked' framerate rarely dips, if ever, due to the relatively lower demand the game puts on the hardware; hence, more headroom.

Papercuts

I didn't beat the game, but I think I did see some drops during Gohma. Anyone else come to mind?

Gohma is probably the worst. Puppet Ganon can get a little dicey.

Otherwise it's mainly something with bombs in the ocean the game doesn't like.

Ridley327

Gohma is probably the worst. Puppet Ganon can get a little dicey.

Otherwise it's mainly something with bombs in the ocean the game doesn't like.

It was like that in the Gamecube version, which makes me think that it's something that the engine simply doesn't like.

Great thread, OP!

My old, trusty 720p TV finally bit the dust so a couple hours ago I ordered a new 1080p monitor which I'll be doing my Wii U gaming on. I'm going to be sitting close so here's hoping for more 1080p games. But really, we all know the Wii U specs. The majority of games will be 720p. That bothered me at first, but with the release of a certain $500 console, the Wii U doesn't seem so alone in the 720p camp. C'mon 1080p next gen.

I'm expecting Mario Kart 8 to be 720p but I noticed Nintendo's new trailer on YouTube is 1080p, whatever that means.

that is a light pause while loading, that's why it marked a 54fps mark there

While I do think pointing that single drop is silly, goal posts are being moved here.

That's bullshit. You're going to post that shitty graph that has been debunked time and time again.

danielcw

No, you've got it the wrong way around, Cizeta is right. Capped and locked both mean the framerate doesn't go above the specified value. It's technically impossible to 'lock' a framerate and keep it from dropping if the hardware power isn't there to support it. So, the difference between 60FPS locked and 60FPS capped is that the 'locked' framerate rarely dips, if ever, due to the relatively lower demand the game puts on the hardware; hence, more headroom.

I never said, that it is possible to lock a framerate.

I said that a locked framerate does not go below or above the mentioned value.

There still is a difference, as you agree.

The poster I quoted, said that there is essentially no difference.

leng jai

Somehow I don't think your poor eyesight or lack of attention to detail is a justifiable reason for 1080p not mattering.

For watching films I can see the argument that some people sit too far away to see the difference between 720 and 1080p. For games the difference is too big to be unnoticeable unless you're sitting 7 metres away or something stupid.

Look at all of those 60 Frames.

Now THIS is a next-generation console.

Truth. I like how Nintendo is getting that right.

Honestly I'm a little surprised 3D World is 720p because it looks glorious in motion. Sitting at a comfy distance from my larger TV it looks nearly perfect.

Top Bottom