• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Zeppu

if you are still under warranty i'd get a new one instead of trying to deal with it by unlocking. You can still unlock the new one, but at least you know its not a real issue

You think so? You guys never get random reboots? On 4.0.2 it used to reboot when the phone had been on for over a week or so and I unlocked to Camera but that seems to have stopped on 4.0.4. I always just assumed I had installed something which fucked something up.

It's not too common, but it does happen, once a month or so.

gcubed

You think so? You guys never get random reboots? On 4.0.2 it used to reboot when the phone had been on for over a week or so and I unlocked to Camera but that seems to have stopped on 4.0.4. I always just assumed I had installed something which fucked something up.

It's not too common, but it does happen, once a month or so.

oh it happens once a month? well then carry on. I thought it was happening consistently and often.

Zeppu

oh it happens once a month? well then carry on. I thought it was happening consistently and often.

This is on every single start though
YQNVPl.png

Zeppu

yeah, something could be corrupted, so if you are going to wipe it, you may as well unlock it. You can always relock later if you get some issues back

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I need to backup my user dictionary since I know what with wipe/root I might get a different device name and therefore not have my backup restored :(

gcubed

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I need to backup my user dictionary since I know what with wipe/root I might get a different device name and therefore not have my backup restored :(

yeah, sorry can't help, i just delayed your answers! you may be able to root and use titanium?

kehs

Banned
There was actually a root method without unlocking the phone for 4.0.2, not sure if a new one has popped up for 4.0.4.

kehs

Banned
Can you put some kind of icon or something to let us know when you're being serious? Because this might just change my entire weekend...

Haha, I'm being serious, that's how I manually updated my GN to 4.0.4.

e: Here you go http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1531865

Should note that if you're doing this to manually update the OTA, make sure you remove SU from the system directory before applying the update. Otherwise, it will stick around, but you won't have root access after the update to remove it.

gcubed

Haha, I'm being serious, that's how I manually updated my GN to 4.0.4.

e: Here you go http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1531865

Should note that if you're doing this to manually update the OTA, make sure you remove SU from the system directory before applying the update. Otherwise, it will stick around, but you won't have root access after the update to remove it.

much easier method that doesnt need superuser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ1HuteSnDE

just did it because i gave up waiting, works wonderfully, you dont have to worry abou SU or anything else... only works from bone stock 4.0.2

Anyone know why my Galaxy Nexus will not charge when connected to my computer? I plugged it in earlier today when the battery was at 27% I just rechecked my phone (About 3 hours later) and it is now at 12%.

Sometimes the phone will charge REALLY slowly from the computer, and other times it seems to lose battery faster than the USB can charge it. Is this normal?

kehs

Banned
Anyone know why my Galaxy Nexus will not charge when connected to my computer? I plugged it in earlier today when the battery was at 27% I just rechecked my phone (About 3 hours later) and it is now at 12%.

Sometimes the phone will charge REALLY slowly from the computer, and other times it seems to lose battery faster than the USB can charge it. Is this normal?
Its probably a low powered USB port.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's awesome. I can see this being really useful. iOS already has something like this with their music controls when double tapping home. I'm surprised Android hasn't officially gotten it yet. Of course, AOKP's implementation is more powerful than iOS's. I'd mostly use it for music or to check calendar appointments, email, tweets.

gcubed

F Verizon for sitting on 4.0.4 its a damn sizeable bug fix. Phone feels faster, better battery life, radio switching so much better, small fixes littered throughout.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
F Verizon for sitting on 4.0.4 its a damn sizeable bug fix. Phone feels faster, better battery life, radio switching so much better, small fixes littered throughout.

You're making us non-rooters feel bad, man. :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I'm sure they have a reason.

kehs

Banned
Yea not rooted. You can skip about 20 of those 27 minutes. Copy exploit, copy update, execute exploit, move update to cache, delete exploit, boot into stock recovery, update.

I just skimmed through the video, that's the same exploit I mentioned earlier except they seems to have automated the SU portion.

so ridiculous

<3 Android

That's awesome. I can see this being really useful. iOS already has something like this with their music controls when double tapping home. I'm surprised Android hasn't officially gotten it yet. Of course, AOKP's implementation is more powerful than iOS's. I'd mostly use it for music or to check calendar appointments, email, tweets.

well, there are notification music controls, though this seems way better.

DonDraper

Banned
I currently have a Galaxy S2 on TMo. I want me some ICS goodness, but the whole rooting and flashing process I've looked into is a bit intimidating and over my head. Thinking about getting the unlocked Nexus. I'm wondering if I would end up sacrificing some moving from the S2 to the Nexus.

In terms of apps and screen and power its probably a wash, I would imagine. I to like to take a lot of pictures and that HD video, if that helps any in helping me figure things out.

I would just wait for the S3, but I'm not even a year into my contract and buying it outright, price-wise, is probably gonna be a pretty penny, even if I sold the S2.

Any advice? Thanks!!

I currently have a Galaxy S2 on TMo. I want me some ICS goodness, but the whole rooting and flashing process I've looked into is a bit intimidating and over my head. Thinking about getting the unlocked Nexus. I'm wondering if I would end up sacrificing some moving from the S2 to the Nexus.

In terms of apps and screen and power its probably a wash, I would imagine. I to like to take a lot of pictures and that HD video, if that helps any in helping me figure things out.

I would just wait for the S3, but I'm not even a year into my contract and buying it outright, price-wise, is probably gonna be a pretty penny, even if I sold the S2.

Any advice? Thanks!!

I moved from the t-mo gs2 to the unlocked g-nex and have no regrets.

But you say you like taking a lot of pictures so the g-nex is probably not for you. The camera on the gs2 is so much better than the one on the g-nex. I hardly take pictures so it isn't a big deal for me. It really isn't about the mega pixels either, the sensor on the g-nex just sucks. If you are taking pictures outside then it'll look fine but any picture inside looks grainy and terrible.

Nicktendo86

Any advice? Thanks!!

I have a GS2 and I am complete noob at rooting/modding but I took the plunge and managed to get a custom rom on my phone and could not look back, it is really easy if you follow the countless youtube clips. I still want a Nexus though as my GS2 has got burn in on the top from the status bar :(

RJM77

400 dollar nexus or 800 dollar s3?

Just got the unlocked GSM nexus and using it on T-mobile prepaid, coming from the original EVO 4G on Sprint. So far I'm loving the phone and it was worth the price. Hopefully Google continues selling unlocked Nexus phones from now on.

Ordered one of these from google play, plan on using it in the tmobile $30 plan. It's an amazing plan if you don't talk a lot.

- 100 minutes
-unlimited texting
-unlimited data (5gb at HSPA+) after that cap it turn into edge

rozay

Banned
I wouldn't pay $400 to use Touchwiz instead of stock ICS.
it might be worth it for a better camera, a significant amount more memory than 16gb, more capable innards, better audio quality and better battery life if those were important to him though!

(i'd still get a nexus)

Top Bottom