• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Finished up The Last Guardian last night so I can get into this with a clear mind. Cannot wait! Amazon delivered it last night, and I am good to go. I have to say the business card holder and the business cards are all high quality. Also got myself a poster from Gamespot thanks to Irish.

Work can't end soon enough.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wait, is the punching guy actually face-modeled in the game? Am I crazy?

Unbenannt.png

Also enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDW3kmkEZXU

Basically a "candid camera" type of thing where the 2 poor bastards had no idea that all that went on was staged. See not too different from the game lol

hbkdx12

I am new to the series, and I get the complaint, especially coming from more contemporary brawlers or action combat games.

I'd suggest using Rush mode, as it feels more......current......in terms of dodge mechanics, also make use of lock on, as this should mitigate the camera issue somewhat, also, try not to button mash, although this is a legitimate tactic, you'll flow much better in combat if you don't.

Also, try this video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJNPpEdQMQ
Awesome! Thanks for this

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just nicked around 78 million yen off Mr Shakedown whilst he was sleeping Reveeeeeeeeeeenge! Wait till the big bastard wakens up to that :p

The Yakuza games always had magnificent localization. They knocked the ball out of the park with it in DS, loved how they did Majima's lines in that game.

"Always"?

I think you're forgetting the first game...

Since then, though, yeah. They've been pretty strong for awhile.

Just switched to majima for the first time.

I didn't think it was possible to make me like Majima even more but this game seems to be pulling it off.

I'm still recovering from that amazing cutscene at the start of chap 3.

So I just found out that BBY fucked up my delivery address and now I'm getting it delivered tomorrow :( Is it possible to order a copy for in-store pickup today and return the copy I get delivered once it gets here?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
"Always"?

I think you're forgetting the first game...

Since then, though, yeah. They've been pretty strong for awhile.

I never want to play Yakuza 1s dub again but I am fond of it and find it charming. It was in a way like a 1980's anime english dub :p

"Kiryu you mother fucker you, i'm gonna fuck your shit up you fucking fuck"

or everytime you got into a random battle, just before it you would often hear

"What the FUUUUUCK!"

Kyonashi

Hovering over the purchase button on Zavvi but I told myself I'd at least finish The Last Guardian first...

I caved and went to a GAME store on my lunch break...

Had to convince them it was out today though?
Their systems said it was out Friday and only after showing them multiple online retailers selling it today (even their own webstore) did they cave and sell me a copy. Whilst I was on my phone two other customers came in asking about it and left...

I'm excited to finally get my hands on the game and play it. Too bad Amazon screwed me over and my copy of Gravity Rush 2 is arriving today as well...

Ion Guru

So I played for a couple of hours last night and wrongly assumed that it had auto saved my progress. How do you actually save the game so that I don't lose my progress when I restart tonight?

-Amon-

Downloading from PSN.

Last Yakuza game was 4, that I enjoyed a whole lot on Ps3 at the time.

Happy to have the chance to play another one.

Those who said I can go back and replay the other games are liars. Y0 is too good. I can't go back. Looking forward to Y1 remake this summer.

after all this time, it's definitely gonna be strange for me playing yakuza without haruka being there (& no, dead souls don't count :) )...

harukak.jpg

My Amazon copy arrived today (along with RE7) and since I completed the Japanese version I had to check if (like Yakuza 5) the trophy list for the Japanese and Euro releases were shared (so trophies unlocked on the Japanese version carry over to the English version). The answer is no - so technically I can platinum the game twice which for me will be immensely fun for 99% of the game. It does mean I have to get that bloody 10 wins in cat fighting though, that will test my patience again for sure!

Linkura

So my Amazon copy is arriving tomorrow instead of Thursday at least... and I got a $10 credit for them fucking me over. Plus I'm still playing DQ8 of course. What are the odds of my 2 favorite franchises releasing a game within a week of each other? Lots of good times these next few weeks.

Jimrpg

I really enjoyed this localization article of Yakuza 0 with Scott Strichart from Atlus.

Article Here

A couple of choice questions/answers -

There’s a lot about this game that’s a prequel, designed to provide backstory for characters you’re already supposed to know. But so many Western players haven’t played Yakuza! How did you approach this in localization? Did you try to provide more context?

The cool thing about 0 is yeah, it’s a prequel, but I wouldn’t say that it actually expects you right off the bat to know who these dudes are. When Nishikiyama rolls up on you at the very beginning of the game, he gets what we internally call the don-don. (laughs) It’s basically just those little title cards where the character appears and it freezes to black and white for a bit — we lovingly call those don-dons because that’s the noise it makes — but if the game was expecting you to know who he was, it certainly wouldn’t give him that, you know?

Right out of the gate, that first hour of content is literally explaining Kiryu’s situation. It’s explaining where they’re at in life. I don’t think it really throws characters at you in a way that says “you know who this is already.” Maybe there are some characters later in the game where it says “you might know who this is, and if you do you’re going to get more out of it,” but it certainly doesn’t leave newcomers to the series in the dark.

I think 0 is one of the most perfect starting places for the game — for the franchise — because you can get in on the ground floor. A lot of people will point to Kiwami or Yakuza 1 being of course the first franchise starting point, but now that we’ve announced that we’re doing both, I would say get in at 0 and then get Kiwami too.

So going back to your question, do you take from Yakuza 1… not just Yakuza 1. We looked at from Yakuza 1 through 5 and how the series has evolved. Originally in Yakuza 1, Shintaro Kazama was incorrectly labeled as Fuma, and they were “incorrectly” addressing him as Kazama. Over time, you can watch… they corrected Kazama’s name, and even though they continued to call him Kazama at times, we looked at that and said, no, we’re going to get this to be a little more authentic. When you don’t dub the game, you’re hearing these characters be like “Kiryu, Kiryu, Kiryu” and when the subtitle says “Kazuma, Kazuma, Kazuma,” it’s disconnecting you a bit from what’s being said. So our approach to this was how far can we draw the English into what they’re actually saying without actually losing the player into a non-localization, a literal translation that would be so boring and dry that you wouldn’t want to play it.

Any tips for the dancing mini game? I seem to keep missing the prompts.

Oh, and Kazuma is just adorable. I love how happy he is when winning a pocket racing tournament against children. Or how dejected he is when he loses. And the little inner monologues at the end of substories are cute as well, reminds me a lot of Gravity Rush 2 and how Kat would sum up her feelings at the end of a side mission, often on a positive, optimistic outlook.

Top Bottom