• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI expansion, "Seekers of Adoulin" Geomancer/Rune Fencer! Uematsu Concert tonight!

zlatko

Banned
Okay so I'm down for this. Rune Fencer is confirmed as the 2nd job? Not sure which post states that.

I'll be joining up on Sylph and starting from scratch. How can I see if my account is still valid for FFXI? Like I have NO CLUE wtf my PlayOnline ID/Pass were before I quit so many years ago.

If that's the case, what is the best means to purchase the game? The 20 dollar download that includes all the Abyssea content and expansions from Amazon.com?

B-Dex

Wow people are selling ULTIMATE COLLECTION for 360 for 200 bucks.... Better go find my disc and recover my old account. YIKES.

LowParry

Man, makes me want to come back to playing this. I might have to start over. Not really sure but either way, hype. I'll have to go ask how the current game is on the community area.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Every time I start FFXI, I realize I have not enough friends to play with and won't be able to do the end-game or level to max. Blah.

Clipse

Every time I start FFXI, I realize I have not enough friends to play with and won't be able to do the end-game or level to max. Blah.
Couldn't have said it better. I only know one person still playing this game, so I joined his linkshell when I re-subscribed last year. The LS had maybe 5 members total and they were all basically a "set group" so I just gave up after a few days.

With all this expansion hype going on though, I'm wondering if going to the most popular server (Asura?) or joining the GAF shell would be worthwhile.

vazel

Banned
Where are people getting that Asura is the most popular server? I want to start my new character on the most populous server but I didn't find anything on ffxionline.com to corroborate that Asura is the most populated one.

LowParry

Where are people getting that Asura is the most popular server? I want to start my new character on the most populous server but I didn't find anything on ffxionline.com to corroborate that Asura is the most populated one.

I'd like to know this too.

Emitan

I think the Steam sale starts soon I'm probably gonna buy this game then (just so I don't have to figure out my account info again)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Probably anecdotal based on activity on FFXI forums that have separate server boards. Right now there are over 1,600 players on the server. Last round of server merges, Asura did not absorb other servers, making people assume it had enough players.

I'd imagine the most populous sever is the one with the Blue Garter people.

Regardless, I'd stay away from Asura, it's not the most friendly of places.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Slightly curious about this game, considering possibly getting the PC or 360 version.

So I still have a pearlsack for the stars of destiny shell on sylph, and I will happily make time to pearl everyone who's planning to start up, and make additional pearls whenever you guys need it, but I might not be around a super lot though unless you make plans, but you can always send me a tell.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm on Asura and stay because I'm in a great linkshell with friends. If I wasn't I'd go to Sylph and ht GAF linkshell.

That's got me thinking, I know of nobody playing this game. Still a good idea to check out or would it bet better to hold off?

Boss Man

That's got me thinking, I know of nobody playing this game. Still a good idea to check out or would it bet better to hold off?
I'd say FFXI is definitely worth at least checking out for a month or two. I'd go to the GAF server, I'm sure they'd welcome any newbies with open arms.

There's a thread in Community btw.

Joei

I havne't played in like 5 years, I wonder if I could reactivate my character, lol. It was like a L70 BRD and I had a handful of jobs in the 40s... I don't know if I could put the time back in though. But that Rune Fencer and Geomancer sound hot.

Kokonoe

Banned
For those wanting to know, Asura is currently the the server with the most active players. I originally was on another server but came to Asura due to it's popularity. It also has a tremendous amount of people who speak english on it.

I havne't played in like 5 years, I wonder if I could reactivate my character, lol. It was like a L70 BRD and I had a handful of jobs in the 40s... I don't know if I could put the time back in though. But that Rune Fencer and Geomancer sound hot.

You can get from 70 to max level in a few hours. (Except you won't be able to due to all the Limit Breaks you have to do) But good news on Bard is it's used heavily in Voidwatch, one of the end-games.

It's like the one end-game where Bard is highly needed.

Joei

For those wanting to know, Asura is currently the the server with the most active players. I originally was on another server but came to Asura due to it's popularity. It also has a tremendous amount of people who speak english on it.

You can get from 70 to max level in a few hours. (Except you won't be able to due to all the Limit Breaks you have to do) But good news on Bard is it's used heavily in Voidwatch, one of the end-games.

It's like the one end-game where Bard is highly needed.

A few hours?! What's max level now?? 70-75 would have taken me forever back then. Hell, getting to where I was took a long, long time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A few hours?! What's max level now?? 70-75 would have taken me forever back then. Hell, getting to where I was took a long, long time.

Max is 99. There's a new set of area's called "Abyssea" that have allowed players to team up in an alliance for experience points. It stars slow, but as you gain "lights" from chest you get more exp from mobs. Eventually you'll see ~600 exp per mob, and most of the DD players can kill one on their own in 30 seconds or so. There's also the occasional chest that will give 2500 exp per pop.

Joei

Max is 99. There's a new set of area's called "Abyssea" that have allowed players to team up in an alliance for experience points. It stars slow, but as you gain "lights" from chest you get more exp from mobs. Eventually you'll see ~600 exp per mob, and most of the DD players can kill one on their own in 30 seconds or so. There's also the occasional chest that will give 2500 exp per pop.

Wow, that's crazy. Have they changed or added anything to the lower levels regarding speed? I remember it took a long time just to do the general leveling.

Velocity

Sounds tempting to come back, but considering the expansion isn't until next year, I think I'll hold off. Too many other, newer, games to play this year. Can't afford FFXI to suck me back into its void of life stealing.

Now, that new Windows-only UI. Is that launching with the expansion or is it something coming in a patch this year? For some reason that one little bit has me more interested than the actual expansion right now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wow, that's crazy. Have they changed or added anything to the lower levels regarding speed? I remember it took a long time just to do the general leveling.

Fields of Valor, which is essentially mini-qeusts for killing certain mobs (that you kill while exping anyways) and you get an EXP bonus.

Example: Kill 3 lizards and 3 goblins

Level synch also makes things easier. Anyone of any level can exp with anyone else. They just synch to the lowest level person. Technically, once you hit 30 you can go into abyssea, but many groups won't let anyone in under level 75, as they really are just leeching exp, and can't do anything.

Boss Man

Technically, once you hit 30 you can go into abyssea, but many groups won't let anyone in under level 75, as they really are just leeching exp, and can't do anything.
They open chests! Which is usually exactly what the person making the party is doing though lol.

Just biting the bullet and gathering an alliance for Abyssea with your level 30 job as the leader is really the easiest way to go. It doesn't take long at all, and you've basically earned your stay by being assed to actually form the party (people are lazy).

I really don't recommend a new player leeching EXP this way though. Maybe as a last resort if all you really want to do is solo through story content. There's a lot of fun to be had in gaining levels the traditional way, for all its grind (pre FoV at least).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Square Enix has confirmed that Seekers of Adoulin won't be available for PS2 outside of Japan.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would they not support the PS2 version outside Japan. I could totally understand (and support0 no PS2 support, but the game is already localized and being updated. Would it really be that hard to print some disks and sell through the square store? I have to believe there's a decent chunk still playing on PS2.

CREMSteve

Not going to lie, the thought of re-subscribing has crossed my mind on a few occasions in the last few weeks, but then I remember how terribly addicting this game was, and I quickly regain my sanity.

I missed a lot of my first-born daughters' precious moments because I was too busy hunting NMs or working my way through Limbus, Dynamis, etc.

Never again.

Susurrus

I was thinking of checking it out again if it really is that easy to catch my subs up to 50 amd then picking 1 job as my main to take to 99 and complete storyline missions (fuck NMs, Dynamis, etc though).

Does it prorate if I start now or is it better to wait till the 1st?

Boss Man

I was thinking of checking it out again if it really is that easy to catch my subs up to 50 amd then picking 1 job as my main to take to 99 and complete storyline missions (fuck NMs, Dynamis, etc though).

Does it prorate if I start now or is it better to wait till the 1st?
You ought to check out the OT in Community, but I think they changed the subscription model so that it's a month from when you pay. I could be mistaken.

Prevailer

Here's another developer interview about Seekers of Adoulin:
http://jpgames.de/2012/08/ff-xi-seekers-of-adoulin-–-our-developer-interview/

JPGAMES.DE: You will be changing the User Interface. Why do you do this now, after 10 years? It seems to have worked well for this long time. Why change it?

Answer: We didn’t intend to change the UI to mark the 10th anniversary; it was just that the timing was a coincidence. As for the UI revamping, we have always kept playing with a gamepad in mind. However as I am sure you are aware, there are few MMORPGs that focus on playing with a gamepad. Therefore, those who have had experience in playing other MMO titles and then try out FFXI for the first time will need to play the game with the UI that was designed 10 years ago and with a gamepad.

If this happens to users who have lots of gaming experience, they would just stop playing the game before they can make a real impression because they won’t be used to the game controls and would feel that the game is outdated. So we are currently working on revamping the UI to lessen the chances of losing users and to allow the game to have ‘modern’ controls.

Top Bottom