• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

They dropped pdp because he did videos about it. All Jon has done in their eyes is have a 'political opinion' on Twitter and gone to a podcast to discuss said opinion. I'm sure if he did a video or openly said on twitter worst shit than he already has that's more blatant.

I guess going on a twitter rampage and a podcast with other bigots isn't considered shock-value in the same way having a clear anti-semitic message in your videos is.

Zubz

Banned
So out of curiosity am I one of the few here who still plans to watch his content as long as he doesn't bring political shit?

Honestly, I'm just here hoping he has a turnaround. I still love his old stuff, but his newer stuff hasn't been that good. I've dropped him regardless of his views by this point.

Wait, someone explain the PDP thing to me. I've noticed some weird recommendations showing up on YouTube about him. What did he do?

Disney dropped him because of several antisemitic "shock" gags... Which is antisemitism regardless of intent.

Yukinari

Jon is back on Sargon's podcast right now with people like Sky, Boogie etc.

Im listening to it but i joined so late that i have no idea whats going on.

Spman2099

Seeing the magnitude of Jon's shittiness is really depressing. I have been aware of him being trashy for a while, but I was never fully aware of how trashy. It just keeps going deeper.

I guess I am maybe hoping he comes around? I don't know if that is even possible at this point... He is just human garbage.

Zubz

Banned
It's amazing how fast jon went balls deep into shitty alt right rhetoric.

I mean, until his Twitter tirades, we've only seen stuff about him through his videos & the videos of others. Even stuff like the Grumps fall-out was kept under wraps.

Like many closeted bigots, Jon probably felt Li'l Donny's election took away the consequences of being hateful, prejudiced, & an asshole.

For anyone still in here, Jon just posted a new Q & A video. Watching rn

Edit: with regards to political stuff and his recent "coming out", he said that

- He doesn't care about anyone's political affiliations, he cares about 'facts, reason and evidence'
- He's coming out for 'reason' (?? - doesn't seem like it when you look at his twitter)
- He never wanted to bring politics into his career, it happened because "every goddamn celebrity" became publicly outspoken about America's situation and he had to respond back
- He doesn't want to bring politics into his future videos unless there's high demand for it

That's about it I think.

For anyone still in here, Jon just posted a new Q & A video. Watching rn

Yep, if anyone is still curious he answers a total of three questions I'll paraphrase to the max, so watch the video for his actual answers.

- "Why did you decide to come out against SJWs?"

- Jon basically says he got tired of the bullying and that he isn't the only one, that recently many people are coming out against some of the more extremists people in this camp. He says something about being in favor of facts and solid arguments and that screaming at each other trying to shut down conversation is what he's against.

For what's it's worth, this is definitely a sentiment coming out on Twitter and other areas. I mean South Park just did a whole season with PC Principal and the frat bros.

- "Why did you give your political opinion knowing what repercussions it would have"

- Jon basically says he originally didn't feel like saying anything but after seeing celebrities and others getting on social media and starting to push their point of views he decided to start posting his. He didn't really think he said anything too outlandish. Also he states that he doesn't care about political affiliations. Folks are saying he was actually going for Bernie Sanders. Though apparently when that didn't happen he went full on for Trump.

- "Are you planning on bringing any of your political views into your shows"

- Jon in here at the very least answers he is not planning on bringing it into his channel, but that if demand is high enough that hell maybe he'd consider it.

So at the very least I might not have to worry about dropping him.

Also for what's it's worth he has said something directly relevant to this thread's interest.

Someone asked him why so many of his recent reviews have been about movies, and that whether he's going to return to video games.

It's the first question in the Q&A if you wanna watch. But he essentially says that it's hard to find shit about gaming that hasn't been done to death by other comedians/youtubers and that he has been on a movie binge. That his channel may have started as a video game thing but that he doesn't think it should mean he needs to specifically stick with that.

So if the implication is there it looks like he has for the time being not found anything in gaming to make a video about and for the immediate future he'll continue doing tv/movies and weird video reviews.

At one in another question he says he loves Redlettermedia and asks his audience whether they'd be interested in him doing a full movie review aching to something they've done. Which is weird, I must've misunderstood him considering he has already done that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think he means just sit down & talk about a new movie that came out in theaters compared to a full-on episode about an older/random film.

I've been staying out of the whole political stuff (I don't want to deal with politics period), but I'm hopeful he'll keep them out of the videos. I want to keep laughing at his stuff without the reminder of his personal life that, unless it's something that lands him in jail or actually hurting others or something, I don't need to know about.

Slightly bummed at less gaming videos, but at the same time, I kind of understand considering how many other gaming channels I watch.

on one of the political questions: "I've probably just made things worse"....well he's not wrong there......

Jon sounds like a whiny alt right dickhead. Acting like coming out as a xenophobic cunt is brave and people attacking him are wrong. Fuck him.

It's a mentality not unheard of. I mean if it wasn't for the shit he has said already and he simply said he didn't 'agree with SJWs' I don't think people would be as up in arms as they are right now. In which case he really didn't word that answer correctly.

I used to genuinely want to hear his thoughts outside of his work as he joked around with friends in podcasts and shit, but now watching this Q&A it just feels like a guy putting on an act over how it's all a goofity goof goof to him and that he's actually down to earth and chill.

I think he means just sit down & talk about a new movie that came out in theaters compared to a full-on episode about an older/random film.

I've been staying out of the whole political stuff (I don't want to deal with politics period), but I'm hopeful he'll keep them out of the videos. I want to keep laughing at his stuff without the reminder of his personal life that, unless it's something that lands him in jail or actually hurting others or something, I don't need to know about.

Slightly bummed at less gaming videos, but at the same time, I kind of understand considering how many other gaming channels I watch.

on one of the political questions: "I've probably just made things worse"....well he's not wrong there......

oooooooooooh he wants to do a half in the bag with maybe a few skits ala AngryJoe? I don't know if I care to hear his opinions over recent films. I have Redlettermedia for that. And these are guys who know what they're talking about and have the background to back it up. Kind of weird that he acknowledges he's a fan of a youtube channel and then says "I want to try to do that"

Also this is like the second or third youtube personality I've watched that has come out to say in some way or another that RLM is one of their favorite channels. At the very least I'm glad people love RLM.

... Was someone approaching him in the first place about stuff like Trump/ women's march stuff? Like his entire explanation seems to be IF YOU COME TO ME WITH THIS STUFF when the entire drama started with him coming out the door guns blazing on twitter without there being any seeming provocation? Like for all the EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE VICTIIIIIM it seems like ever since him having a melt down at a random twitter user asking him to not use the word 'retarded' a couple years ago he blows up even the slightest criticism to make himself seem like he's been attacked.

Also agree with it seeming like Jon's trying to take a lot of things back and go I'M JUST BEING GOOFY I JUST THINK PEOPLE ARE OVERREEEEEEACTING but maybe going on Carl's stream and ranting about some half-baked extreme fringe beliefs that even an alt-right panderer like Carl thought you were going to far on was a bad idea then?

The part where he says he doesn't want to make his channel focus on politics makes it pretty obvious he wants to distance himself from his comments and make this situation look like he's just making fun of pearl-clutching neo liberals and didn't just go on rants about immigrants wanting to kill us, abortion being immoral, 'commulists' taking over and other bizarre shit that's harder to brush under the 'oh, you're just being offended' rug. Did he seriously not have the foresight to at least just approach someone far less hot-headed about this stuff like Ethan so he could've at least articulated himself during those streams (or even better, just not go on Mr 'Let's throw my detractors out of a helicopter''s stream and explain on his own terms?)

Lol didn't he say he was going to make a video addressing "the SJW problem."
He said it's in vogue so there's no point. He's intentionally being vague in the Q&A about the entire drama so I imagine it's more he's concerned about tempting mainstream attention seeing his comments on Carl's streams and losing his sponsoring.

No I was saying that's why I suspect this video is intentionally vague and brushing off the past few months as "JUST JOKES YOU GUUUUYS."

Zubz

Banned
Thanks for the summary, Admiral! I'm sticking true to my policy of not giving him any more views at this time, but it sounds like he's trying to make himself the victim here. Really not a good look for him, even if many other people are trying to do so.

I wouldn't be surprise if the Pewdiepie drama is making him more cautious about losing potential subscribers.

Sounds like it's already cost him a lot, what with him losing sponsorship. I'd feel bad for him, but that's what happens when you try to cater to one crowd... And that crowd is a new generation of Neo-Nazis.

I think hey may have been a bit over 3 million before when he posted that, now he's barely scraping 3 million. Still if that's all he lost, he's still above 3 million which is the number he likely wanted to keep.

Jacce

Banned
How in the world did initially video game focused youtuber celebs like JonTron, PDP, Boogie, etc go all in on this alt right/blatantly racist nonsense?

I mean holy hell. These guys have KIDS who watch them. This is frightening from a societal standpoint. They are preaching to young impressionable kids its perfectly ok to be racist and to hate women.

Shouldn't be surprising people either that gaf is extremely isolated and the closest place like this would be like Tumblr. Youtube audiences are just what you see in the comments. People don't care about you saying words you shouldn't. The sentiment that now you have to be careful about what you say is very much not in YouTube. That's part of the reason I don't drop so many channels even if their creator has opinions I highly disagree with, they simply cater to their audience and don't feel the need to hold back. When Jon came out and started saying this, the grand majority of responses were defending him and went in line with him.

Redlettermedia is already on the threshold of saying something they can't take back in front of a camera, they have a 'no fucks given' attitude. And when they do they likely won't lose much funding in their patreon which is their main source of money.

Hell I follow a podcast dude who is extremely pro trump who was in a previous podcast that was making little money, he got kicked off and twitter mobed, opened up a patreon and is now making over 100k a year from patreon.

UrbanRats

Shouldn't be surprising people either that gaf is extremely isolated and the closest place like this would be like Tumblr. Youtube audiences are just what you see in the comments. People don't care about you saying words you shouldn't. The sentiment that now you have to be careful about what you say is very much not in YouTube. That's part of the reason I don't drop so many channels even if their creator has opinions I highly disagree with, they simply cater to their audience and don't feel the need to hold back. When Jon came out and started saying this, the grand majority of responses were defending him and went in line with him.

Redlettermedia is already on the threshold of saying something they can't take back in front of a camera, they have a 'no fucks given' attitude. And when they do they likely won't lose much funding in their patreon which is their main source of money.

Hell I follow a podcast dude who is extremely pro trump who was in a previous podcast that was making little money, he got kicked off and twitter mobed, opened up a patreon and is now making over 100k a year from patreon.

I think it's worth pointing out that the extents Jon went is far beyond what even PDP did, with his tasteless jokes and questionable pranks, because is so beyond any reasonable doubt and intent.

So someone like RLM saying "SJW" a couple of times, or pocking fun at more liberal types isn't really a deal breaker for me, but going full Breitbart, and saying some of the shit reported here, it's really beyond that level.

Anung

Un Rama
I think it's worth pointing out that the extents Jon went is far beyond what even PDP did, with his tasteless jokes and questionable pranks, because is so beyond any reasonable doubt and intent.

So someone like RLM saying "SJW" a couple of times, or pocking fun at more liberal types isn't really a deal breaker for me, but going full Breitbart, and saying some of the shit reported here, it's really beyond that level.

This is where I'm at. People have different opinions and that's just fine. Me and the people I'm a fan of aren't going to see eye to eye politically on everything so I can look past it. And I could have done that with Jon too until he tripled down on his comments, said the most confusingly toxic shit and ran to Breitbart and Sargon. That's a bridge too far for me and I can't in good conscience support his material anymore. And judging by admirals breakdown of the Q&A Jon maybe realised the road he was going down to and is in damage control mode

This is where I'm at. People have different opinions and that's just fine. Me and the people I'm a fan of aren't going to see eye to eye politically on everything so I can look past it. And I could have done that with Jon too until he tripled down on his comments, said the most confusingly toxic shit and ran to Breitbart and Sargon. That's a bridge too far for me and I can't in good conscience support his material anymore. And judging by admirals breakdown of the Q&A Jon maybe realised the road he was going down to and is own damage control.

I think he's on damage control as much as he might try to keep away from it as it may have been one scare too much and possibly lost some sponsors in the process. He will probably keep any political shit out of his channel which is what I cared about. But he tried to play it off in the interview as he was some hero who had to stand up to the SJWs and that he ultimately doesn't care about politics and is still a lovable goof, yet did all of this shit right after his tweets.

Anung

Un Rama
Seeing Jon Tron post on Twitter and it's almost like he's on the verge of a melt down. He rambles so much that it barely makes sense (apart from to his "woke" fanbase I guess)

Zubz

Banned
Seeing Jon Tron post on Twitter and it's almost like he's on the verge of a melt down. He rambles so much that it barely makes sense (apart from to his "woke" fanbase I guess)

Did he go on another rant? I'm terrified to see if this is about his opinion on the "wire tapping."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Did he go on another rant? I'm terrified to see if this is about his opinion on the "wire tapping."

Summarizing...

Jon: "Get Out is a good movie, but we shouldn't be stoking racial animus."

People seem to disagree sensibly.

Jon: "Why am I being ATTACKED?? The world is ending! Rational people are no longer allowed to exist! This picture of a guy with a gun in his mouth articulates my FEEEEELINGS!"

Sir TapTap

Melt down appears to have happened. https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072
0Y1hrEa.png

He's defending this guy

When did it become so hard to find a gaming show that wasn't in the pocket of the alt right?

Anung

Un Rama
Good on Jon. He seems to have been promoted from 'Piece of shit' to 'total cunt'.

Edit: wow you guys weren't kidding this is an actual meltdown.

It is mind boggling that you could be the kid of Iranian immigrants, live in Cali then New York, and somehow become a white nationalist. The fuck happened to this guy?

Top Bottom