• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

I am getting two notifications every time someone sends me a Facebook message:

One with the actual message and one "Chat Heads Active" one.

The actual message notifications goes away after I read the message, but the "Chat Heads Active" one says until I drag the chat head to the x.

Anyone know how to get rid of that "Chat Heads Active" notification?

Noema

I am getting two notifications every time someone sends me a Facebook message:

One with the actual message and one "Chat Heads Active" one.

The actual message notifications goes away after I read the message, but the "Chat Heads Active" one says until I drag the chat head to the x.

Anyone know how to get rid of that "Chat Heads Active" notification?

You can disable chat heads in settings from the messager app.

axb2013

Honor 8 is getting long in the tooth and I've been trying to hold out for the Pixel, but with the Oneplus 5 being pretty decent and playing with my brothers G8 I just don't know. If I'm going back to the high end range I want something good that isn't a hassle to root and unroot and will last me a year and half/2 years. I can't stand LG and used to love HTC phones but I hear mixed feedback from the U11.

My question is who can I run to gaf? To share this empty space, who can I run to?

Live in the US, are you OK with importing a phone? If the answer is yes, you already answered your question, I just quoted you to make the answer in bold. My unit is on the way.
If the answer is no, then S8 maybe.

Oh and:

http://gizmodo.com/this-free-app-adds-an-iphone-x-notch-to-your-android-ph-1818540557

bca9kayxlewbu2igxvpj.jpg

reKon

Banned
Game tools on the Samsung Android software has to be one of the most overlooked features. I think LG copied it for the V30, but it's very nice. You can add non gaming apps, so that's what I did for Netflix. Works flawlessly.

I don't consider this bloatware.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Game tools on the Samsung Android software has to be one of the most overlooked features. I think LG copied it for the V30, but it's very nice. You can add non gaming apps, so that's what I did for Netflix. Works flawlessly.

I don't consider this bloatware.

I use it to take screenshots. It's great.

NeOak

The Chromebook is kind of cool, running Android apps is much more attractive to me than a Surface running Windows Store apps.

But ultimately that's crazy expensive, and not being able to detach the keyboard would make it pretty clunky.

I imagine this is instead of the processor refresh the Pixel C needs.
You're better off buying an iPad Pro at that kind of money.

Vanillalite

You're better off buying an iPad Pro at that kind of money.

This too.

I'm actually FOR nicer Chromebooks, but you gotta put that in context. Like Samsung's offerings are premium FOR THE SPACE .

They aren't cheap, but you can find them for like $400 or $500 depending upon which model you get. That's a premium over the $150-$300 Chromebook space. Thats also not $1000.

You can do something nicer than the bargin basement Chromebook shit without it spiralling out of control.

PS: For the record I like the bargin basement Chromebooks. Perfect for kids for laptop.

Jeffrey

Yeah those $500 chromebooks are pretty nice. Not sure what Google is offering at double the price.

Still not sure what pixel 2 will offer at the price.

Something I've realized, most pics I take these day are when I'm out in nature stuff during the day, and most phones pretty much have mastered that.

Dimmer areas is where the best phones shine but I rarely take photos in that kind of lighting.

Vanillalite

Also leaked beyond Daydream 2.0 is Google's Version of the Echo Do.

Droid Life says it's just gonna be called the Google Home Mini. They have a link to the store page, but nothing comes up. I assume it randomly went live early and Google pulled it.

$50 btw

Con_Smith

Banned
Live in the US, are you OK with importing a phone? If the answer is yes, you already answered your question, I just quoted you to make the answer in bold. My unit is on the way.
If the answer is no, then S8 maybe.

Oh and:

http://gizmodo.com/this-free-app-adds-an-iphone-x-notch-to-your-android-ph-1818540557

bca9kayxlewbu2igxvpj.jpg

Assuming you mean the Xiaomi mix2. Never had the brand. How's their OS? Any quirks in their system I should look out for? Specs look pretty nice from the Verge write up I saw.

Fucking hell, where is the 550$ range high-end spec phone with a good camera that runs stock android? What the fuck is this new trend of 1000$ phones?

akileese

Fucking hell, where is the 550$ range high-end spec phone with a good camera that runs stock android? What the fuck is this new trend of 1000$ phones?

They'll keep charging more as long as people keep paying the price. Once they stop paying the high prices (they won't), they'll come back down.

Quixzlizx

As a firm believer in stock/minimalist skins, the S8+ hasn't been too bad so far. Dark Material theme + Nova launcher means at least it doesn't look/feel like everything is smothered in a janky skin.

axb2013

Assuming you mean the Xiaomi mix2. Never had the brand. How's their OS? Any quirks in their system I should look out for? Specs look pretty nice from the Verge write up I saw.

Just like everyone else, I had concerns with the brand. Did some research, tt's a privately owned company valued at $20 billion, they have the "Apple of China" status among local brands.

MIUI is quirky, less so with the latest two versions. It feels and looks like ios within android, no app drawer, etc. Definitely more of a learning curve, for example, if notification doesn't display the preview, swipe two fingers down to see the preview, that sort of thing. Updates are reasonable within a OS version but do take longer to adopt the next one, large phone family tree

Build quality is great, Xiaomi gives you minimal fuss about unlocking bootloader/rooting.
No bixby button syndrome, Xiaomi generally does not interfere if a phone function is used other than intended. No curbing of kernel and ROM development or interfering with modding community, several phones already have unofficial Oreo.

As for the mix 2, phone ships with the latest MIUI 9 version. Over on XDA, modding community seems to be gathering steam for it's development as units start to trickle outside of mainland China.

Personally, I will give MIUI a shot but even if it doesn't suit me, it's just a matter of time until stock Android based ROMs pop up. Be prepared to tinker with the phone if you can't make MIUI work for you. I should have my unit soon, I'll chime in here once I spend some time with it. With the latest pricing of flagship units like the Pixel 2 and V30, I expect even more will flock over to the mix2, seeking the high end for a reasonable price.

Google buying HTC?

HTC, one of Taiwan’s premier tech brands and a true pioneer in the development of the Android hardware ecosystem, has today announced it is about to halt trading of its shares tomorrow in anticipation of a “major announcement,” as first reported by Bloomberg’s Tim Culpan. Earlier this month, the company was rumored to be in the final stages of negotiating a takeover with Google, and today’s news appears to be setting the stage for that buyout becoming official. Or it could be some anonymous asset-holding company buying up what’s left of HTC, but the exciting scenario is definitely the one that involves Google.

The official HTC response to the reported Google negotiations was issued today in a boilerplate statement of “HTC does not comment on market rumor or speculation.” But the facts of HTC’s situation speak for themselves: the company has been operating at a loss for well over a year and, in spite of the excellence of its latest U11 flagship, wasn’t looking likely to survive much longer without outside assistance.

Google and HTC already have a close working relationship, having collaborated on the Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones of last year. The latest rumors point to HTC also producing the 2017 Pixel, though LG is expected to take over responsibility for building the second-gen Pixel XL. In any case, acquiring HTC is almost a no-brainer for a Google that is intent on developing and expanding its own hardware division. Google previously owned Motorola for a brief period of time and seemed intent on the same goal, but that plan ultimately unravelled. What has happened since then is that Google re-hired the Motorola chief it once had, Rick Osterloh, and founded a separate hardware team under his stewardship. Claude Zellweger, the one-time chief designer of HTC Vive, is also now at Google, working on that company’s Daydream virtual reality system.

It’s not immediately obvious what, if anything, Google would be acquiring from HTC. It could be just the smartphone business or just the Vive VR division, with a total takeover of the entire company presently being considered the less likely scenario. It’s also peculiar that HTC would give advance notice of halting trading — these moves are usually done immediately and designed to prevent shareholders from being freaked out by unfavorable news and rushing to sell off their stock. Is HTC foreshadowing unsavoury news for its stockholders? The most damaging thing for them would probably be the loss of the Vive VR unit, which has the greatest potential for growth.

Putting together a history of collaboration, similar goals in promoting VR and advancing smartphone design, and the favorable price of HTC’s current shares makes an HTC buyout the logical move for Google. Of course, the thing that spoiled the Google-Motorola relationship — namely, Samsung’s objection to Google invading its territory — could still pose an issue, though if Google’s going to proceed with making Pixel phones, it’s of only academic importance whether it owns the manufacturing company or not.

We’ll have to wait and see the exact details of HTC’s major announcement, which should coincide with the stop in share trading tomorrow.

It's weird if this is announced before the Pixel XL if the XL is still basically an LG joint.
Doesn't Google have a two-year contract with HTC to produce the Pixel phones? The LG venture seems weird in general because it's like they decided to use LG instead but kept the smaller Pixel with HTC to honor their agreement.

Con_Smith

Banned
Just like everyone else, I had concerns with the brand. Did some research, tt's a privately owned company valued at $20 billion, they have the "Apple of China" status among local brands.

MIUI is quirky, less so with the latest two versions. It feels and looks like ios within android, no app drawer, etc. Definitely more of a learning curve, for example, if notification doesn't display the preview, swipe two fingers down to see the preview, that sort of thing. Updates are reasonable within a OS version but do take longer to adopt the next one, large phone family tree

Build quality is great, Xiaomi gives you minimal fuss about unlocking bootloader/rooting.
No bixby button syndrome, Xiaomi generally does not interfere if a phone function is used other than intended. No curbing of kernel and ROM development or interfering with modding community, several phones already have unofficial Oreo.

As for the mix 2, phone ships with the latest MIUI 9 version. Over on XDA, modding community seems to be gathering steam for it's development as units start to trickle outside of mainland China.

Personally, I will give MIUI a shot but even if it doesn't suit me, it's just a matter of time until stock Android based ROMs pop up. Be prepared to tinker with the phone if you can't make MIUI work for you. I should have my unit soon, I'll chime in here once I spend some time with it. With the latest pricing of flagship units like the Pixel 2 and V30, I expect even more will flock over to the mix2, seeking the high end for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the write up and I can't wait to hear your experience. I have some time before I hop to my next phone so my only rush is to find the one I'm setting monies aside for. After having the Honor 8 and EMUI I'm cool with the more apple style android skins, but seeing the dev community already building looks good as well.

For now it'll be between this and the S8+ for my next phone. I'm still looking at the OP5 but I kind of want that next gen feel for my screen and it seems like the real estate isn't much diff from what I have now. I'll keep hovering the thread until next week when I think I'll go ahead and make a purchasing decision.

Jeffrey

OP5 camera is 'good'. OS is close to stock with bonuses features I enjoy.

Can always flash lineage onto it easy enough if you wanna go more aosp.

OP5 camera is 'good'. OS is close to stock with bonuses features I enjoy.

Can always flash lineage onto it easy enough if you wanna go more aosp.

But is it Nexus / Pixel good? I swear Google does some amazing things on their cameras.

I should have mentioned no bezels either :)

teiresias

It's weird if this is announced before the Pixel XL if the XL is still basically an LG joint.

It's not as if Google doesn't already play the game where they want to charge premiums for Google-branded phones but take none of the responsibility of building them. At least Apple invests in actually building hardware teams, Google just works around the fringes and think they're entitled to top dollar for their crap looking Pixel designs.

Ty4on

Do keep us updated. I've been eyeing the Mi Mix 2.

emag

Well, Google and Moto just announced that the $399 X4 will be coming to the US as an Android One and Project Fi device (first such non-Nexus/Pixel device). It's not a high-end phone and the pre-release version had a slow camera, but there you go.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/16339476/motorola-moto-x4-project-fi-android-one-smartphone

Blackhead

Redarse
Bug fixes and security updates?

I'm not asking for Android Wear 3.0. I'm asking for Android Wear 2.0.1.

Edit: It's bullshit that people try and peddle it off like this ok. The shit is still on the April security update FFS.

fair enough, bug fixes sure (any in particular that really bugs you?) but not aware of any security issues?

Google is way behind in fitness for Wear. Basically the main thing I want in a watch. I'm not satisfied with Google Fit on my HW at all. Fit has zero new features, only cosmetic updates since I got the watch 2 years ago

there are many options for android wear besides google fit. If fitness is your main goal then polar m600 could satisfy that role

There's something so uninspiring about so many phones these days just looking at all of them in them flossy vids. People need to take more risks. Just not stupid ones. Or stupid ones. Whatever works. Eventually we will get to the point where everything is just glass screen on the front but we aint there yet!

reKon

Banned
http://www.gsmarena.com/moto_x4_and..._official_for_fi_priced_at_399-news-27378.php

Price is $100 too high, but you know that Google update tax looks like its a thing now.

Looking at the dimensions, why are only a few companies understanding the value in it being easier to hold a phone? Not that this one is big, but people's hands didn't grow bigger via evolution within the past few years.

The goal should be to get that screen within smaller dimensions. There use to be more phones where this was acceptable. The Moto X4 is too tall of a phone for wide for its screen size. It's 5 mm wider than an S8.

Top Bottom