• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Stopdoor

Check that last place, you cant drag that item.

Ah, I was actually referring to his other statement, about characters physically holding items in their hands while driving. Pretty sure that's a recent returning feature from Double Dash. I wasn't clear.

But why would you throw a shell in front of you when you're in first?
It's a clan war and my teammate was behind me so it's a good idea to dump the shell to get the coins, but I can't dump it behind me because I could hit my teammate.

So I threw it ahead, expecting the normal laws of physics to apply.

Firebrand

Lately I've been blessed or something, red shells keep ignoring me even when I haven't been hit recently. I suppose I don't know how close they were to me when firing. Maybe it's lag.

Speaking of lag, if someone still hasn't experienced the wonderful item spinner bug, someone made a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNAWGzxnJ7w
The frequency at which it's occuring for me though makes me wonder, I don't really get many disconnects though. Gonna have to grab an Ethernet adapter and see if that helps. Unless there's some way to test packet loss on the Switch? Probably not.

Also good games earlier. KartGAF is brutal.

Jazzem

Lately I've been blessed or something, red shells keep ignoring me even when I haven't been hit recently. I suppose I don't know how close they were to me when firing. Maybe it's lag.

Speaking of lag, if someone still hasn't experienced the wonderful item spinner bug, someone made a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNAWGzxnJ7w
The frequency at which it's occuring for me though makes me wonder, I don't really get many disconnects though. Gonna have to grab an Ethernet adapter and see if that helps. Unless there's some way to test packet loss on the Switch? Probably not.

Oh wow, I've had that issue happen on both Vanilla and Deluxe, but that's fascinating on that lag being the only way you'll end up with dual coins...and somewhat terrifying, ha.

Anyone experiencing issues with local wireless play? Hanging with a friend on Friday and was plagued by constant connectivity issues and dropouts.

Finally we logged onto wifi and it fixed it, but I thought the point of the local wireless was that it's a direct connection and doesn't require internet?

Bluth54

I've noticed some of those issues, as well as item boxes not disappearing when another player picks one up.

Berordn

Anyone experiencing issues with local wireless play? Hanging with a friend on Friday and was plagued by constant connectivity issues and dropouts.

Finally we logged onto wifi and it fixed it, but I thought the point of the local wireless was that it's a direct connection and doesn't require internet?

Local wireless play seems to have a fairly short range and benefits a lot from being face to face with one another.

I don't have any issues playing in Handheld mode with others, but if someone is docked then disconnects become fairly common.

Just started playing this yesterday. For some reason, I'm a lot better with drifting on the switch( playing in handheld mode) than I was on the Wii U version. Or am I hallucinating? Anyways, plays like a dream, but I kind of miss unlocking characters like in the original.

Local wireless play seems to have a fairly short range and benefits a lot from being face to face with one another.

I don't have any issues playing in Handheld mode with others, but if someone is docked then disconnects become fairly common.

Weird, we were sitting basically right next to each no more than a few feet away...both undocked and literally could not get a single match to work. The furthest we got was halfway through the first lap, when it disconnected.

But just to confirm local wireless does not require internet right? Because all the connection issues were fixed the moment we signed onto wi-fi.

Bluth54

Weird, we were sitting basically right next to each no more than a few feet away...both undocked and literally could not get a single match to work. The furthest we got was halfway through the first lap, when it disconnected.

But just to confirm local wireless does not require internet right? Because all the connection issues were fixed the moment we signed onto wi-fi.

Many Switches don't seem to have very good wireless antennas. My Switch gets half the wireless signal strength as my other wireless devices in the same spot and I saw a lot of other people report the similar issues around the launch of the Switch.

Oh man really? Considering wireless local is one of the system selling points that's pretty unacceptable IMO. Wonder if it's something future firmware updates could improve on. That's super disappointing :/

Apt discussion as I've just finished three races in a row where I got nothing but double coins in each. Lost 1st place in every race :'(
I seem to get a disconnect every time I boot up too. Whenever starting online, the first time will always disconnect from spectating mode. After that if I reconnect it's fine...

Apt discussion as I've just finished three races in a row where I got nothing but double coins in each. Lost 1st place in every race :'(
I seem to get a disconnect every time I boot up too. Whenever starting online, the first time will always disconnect from spectating mode. After that if I reconnect it's fine...

Make sure your NAT type is A (Open)

I just put my Switch's IP address into my router's DMZ.

Menitta

Found a super secret shortcut.

C_4TaH6UQAE1A28.jpg:large

Ogodei

First time in 200cc came unexpectedly in online play (i went through the end of Mirror offline, i'm going on vacation this weekend and will pick it up then instead of taxing shitty hotel wifi).

Steering Assist definitely switches from a mixed bag to a solid help in any stage with ledges or open pits on 200cc. More closed stages (like SNES Mario Circuit) it's still a burden, but i had a great run on Big Blue and Rainbow Road just because i was one of the only players who never flung themselves off the track

I'd have to wean myself off of Steering Assist at this point even if i didn't want it anymore, though. I tried a few races in 100cc without it and found that i kept smacking into walls on the outside of curves. My driving mentality for curves has been restructured by it.

Roo

Found a super secret shortcut.

C_4TaH6UQAE1A28.jpg:large
Ah yeah, happened to me in the Wii U version at least twice.
🤔
What am I looking at
It's a glitch that makes you go out of bounds in Twisted Mansion.

In that track, it only happens in the library section, before the antigravity one.
At least in my case, with a well timed hit and the correct spot between the carpet and the rotten wood on the floor will get you there.

EDIT: found a video of it.
Seems like it can be with any item then.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xZePYBO5Pus

So, I just got screwed by the game AI...

I had gotten behind, I was in 3rd place, it was the third lap. I was closing on on the frontrunners. Then a blue shell approaches. I'm thinking it's my chance.

The Blue shell targets me, in third place, and keeps me from placing...

TheMoon

So, I just got screwed by the game AI...

I had gotten behind, I was in 3rd place, it was the third lap. I was closing on on the frontrunners. Then a blue shell approaches. I'm thinking it's my chance.

The Blue shell targets me, in third place, and keeps me from placing...

Is this your first Mario Kart? :D

You can get hit in 11th if 1st thru 10th have already crossed the finish line. In 7 i got hit in 6th once.
We were no where near the finish.

It was about halfway through the last lap and I was gaining on 1 and 2. Then blue shell flew up and targeted me. I almost made it back to 3rd before the race ended.

The Goat

I'd say on average I get about 3-4 races before a connection error pops up. Nintendo must have some crazy shit planned for stability when the online pay2play goes live in September.

If the same shit happens, I hope everyone rises up and cries bloody murder.

Firebrand

I'd say on average I get about 3-4 races before a connection error pops up. Nintendo must have some crazy shit planned for stability when the online pay2play goes live in September.

Did MK8 Wii U have these issues? Or maybe that machine's wifi just wasn't garbage.

Firebrand

This doesn't mean you can play Mario Kart with 12 people without an online connection though does it?

Should be able to, with the LAN Play option the main menu? I'm not sure you even need an Ethernet adapter for "LAN" play tbh.
edit: You might be right it needs an online connection for authorization purposes.
edit2: Nope, "This is OK as an Internet connection is not required for LAN play.". (http://en-americas-support.nintendo...e-the-lan-play-feature-of-mario-kart-8-deluxe)

This site seems to confirm a local network over wi-fi will still work as a LAN: http://www.gameskinny.com/purxx/how-to-set-up-your-own-mario-kart-8-deluxe-lan-party

molnizzle

After a few dozen hours playing this game again I've realized that what I really miss are arcade racers. Like, racing games that control similar to Mario Kart (don't need to brake for turns) but don't have all the bullshit items. I'm so fucking sick of the items.

Firebrand

So, so sorry for Ice Ice Outpost, Time... six seven red shells and a bob-omb. Clearly the only way I could win tonight, the way I was driving and bumping into everything, lol.

Charamiwa

Banned
How does pieces count work exactly, for unlocking stuff? Do you get all the pieces you collect during a race, or only the one you finish with? Does it cap at 10 per race?

Firebrand

Patch your goddamn game already, Nintendo. This is dumb.

How does pieces count work exactly, for unlocking stuff? Do you get all the pieces you collect during a race, or only the one you finish with? Does it cap at 10 per race?

I think you get credit for any coin you pick up, in any mode. The cap's just there so you can't go crazy fast by picking up more than 10.

You won't get notified of unlocks until after you leave a lobby though, and if you have multiple unlock tiers met you need to go into singleplayer as far as part selection and then back out again to unlock the next.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

You get all of the coins you finish with, on any mode. Coins you get in battles count as well, though the only battle modes you can get coins in are Coin Runners and Renegade Roundup. You must finish the race/battle to get the coins, so, for example, if you restart a Time Trials run, you won't get the coins for that run. It also does cap at 10 coins per run, so if you finish with more than 10 coins in Coin Runners, you will only receive 10 coins for that run. Also, in split-screen multiplayer, only Player 1's coins count.

Top Bottom