• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

soultron

Banned
Been massively busy the past month but I hope to contribute more to writing and QA in the next few days. Been so busy at work lately.

JambiBum

I don't know if you guys know it or not, but there is a way you can get a free upgrade to the storage space for dropbox. All you have to do is login to your account at the DB page and click the getting started tab. It will show you a check list with things you need to do in order to get the free upgrade. I only needed to do the little tutorial thing in order to get mine.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'd like to thank our QA team again. Even though we started objectively early and most of the complaints were already planned to be addressed (nearly entirely in the same direction as your suggestions, which is a very good thing), your feedback has already proven itself very important for us. It also convinced me about something that has been floating through my head for a while.

I hope most of you remember the chapter structure planned for the game (if you don't, please check the website for more details): chapters with three acts (act 1 = arena, 2 = exploration level, 3 = boss fight), each with a list of missions that must be accomplished to advance.
Well, this approach has a glaring weak point: arenas are inherently less interesting and more repetitive than what follows them. Add in the fact that exploration levels also basically include smaller arenas here and there, and they become completely unnecessary.

So, we'll probably change the chapter structure a bit, by merging act 1s and act 2s together and spreading the missions on the map, so you need to touch (and accept) one to start it, instead of a static list. If you need a concrete example, think of the yellow X'es in RDR.
This would allow us to play a bit more with the level designs, by adding or removing barriers and props specifically for each mission, and to increase their variety. An even better example would be Mario Galaxy, except you'd choose which star you're going to go after from inside the level itself, instead of a menu before you start a galaxy.

It's a pretty important conceptual change, so I'm taking my sweet time before greenlighting this, but luckily it's not as big as it may seem and doesn't reflect much on the stuff we already have (especially our 3D assets). Absolutely nothing would get lost in the transition, and the overall workload for the modellers would decrease from now on because we'd need less assets for the chapters after the first (even though we're not removing content, and actually we could end up with more). Which makes this possibility even more tempting, considering our chronic lack of modellers.

I'll keep you updated on this over the next couple of days.

tl;dr version:
- we might tweak the chapter structure and merge act 1s and 2s together
- missions found on the map instead of static lists, we can tweak the map for each
- we don't lose any asset already made, absolutely no time wasted if we change
- less assets needed from now on, paradoxically more content and mission variety
- it's not decided yet, but it's likely to happen because it looks very convenient

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
One cool possibility opened by this new approach: we can have missions where you unlock a door leading to more missions you didn't know about.
This wouldn't be possible with the current setup.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It sounds good in theory, but yeah, we should definitely talk things over a bit more to plan out exactly how we want to do this change in level structure.

In other news, flyover trimmed, cleaned up, mastered and converted back to Ogg format 38 sound effects, which was awesome of him. And Mik made a blank medal, which we can decorate in various iterations for all of our achievements. It looks pretty great.

Is everyone checking our website every Monday and Friday? Or spreading the word about our Facebook and Twitter pages? No matter what team you're on, you can help increase awareness of Dudebro™ II. =)

whitehawk

Banned
Is it possible for team members to be able to give the current build a test run? I'm not sure how complete it is, but seeing some of the levels might help me with the music side.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hopefully I get to contribute more soon... My schoolwork is definitely piling up. I really hope to finish the parser/interpretter I've been making in C++ soon so I can help out. >_<

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Whitehawk's stuff is all kinds of awesome!

Danthrax said:
It sounds good in theory, but yeah, we should definitely talk things over a bit more to plan out exactly how we want to do this change in level structure.
Which is exactly the reason why I've been studying the pros and cons carefully for a couple of weeks before even mentioning it to anybody ;)

B-Genius said:
I actually kind of did this...

and got the job.
Awesome :)

And congrats!

V_Ben

Banned
Jocchan said:
Which is exactly the reason why I've been studying the pros and cons carefully for a couple of weeks before even mentioning it to anybody ;)

The discussion on the IRC last night was great too. Lots of good ideas came from there.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ULTROS! said:
Hopefully I get to contribute more soon... My schoolwork is definitely piling up. I really hope to finish the parser/interpretter I've been making in C++ soon so I can help out. >_<

What is this?

raphier

Banned
Danthrax said:
oh look what we got in the inbox about 8 hours ago:

the cafepress isn't linked to an account, so technically, only cafepress is profiting. but y'know, whatever

also, he apparently doesn't read because i didn't say whomever shows up first in web searches is the "copyright holder." (once again, we are talking about trademarks, not copyrights. what a bright bulb.) rather, i said whomever shows up first in web searches is who has more mindshare, and whomever has lesser mindshare would damage the other. no one knows who he is; lots of people know who we are. his shit would potentially confuse the marketplace that's looking for our game. no one is looking for his game, clearly, so our shit wouldn't confuse the marketplace.

lastly, he keeps talking about his relatives who are lawyers, but hasn't given me a name or contact information, like i requested two weeks ago. but whatevs, i'm sure they'll pop out of the woodwork to sue all 150 of us

P.S. I BETTER START POPPIN PILLS CUZ I'MMA NEED MAH MEDICATION HURR HURR

P.P.S. I totally told this guy to stop harassing us through this e-mail address. Am I going to have to warn him that if he does it one more time I'm going to notify the Australian authorities? Thing is, I'd do it. I don't want to put up with this shit.
That email is probably the worst thing he could have done. Threatening the victim is a bad move, especially when you're suing the said person/group

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the Google Waves
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the waves, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro/
Dudebro Wiki: http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

thank you for your attention and have a fantastic day!

Jocchan said:
tl;dr version:
- we might tweak the chapter structure and merge act 1s and 2s together
- missions found on the map instead of static lists, we can tweak the map for each
- we don't lose any asset already made, absolutely no time wasted if we change
- less assets needed from now on, paradoxically more content and mission variety
- it's not decided yet, but it's likely to happen because it looks very convenient
I think that's a great design choice if the team decides on moving forward with it. As long as its feasible, go for it!

raphier said:
That email is probably the worst thing he could have done. Threatening the victim is a bad move, especially when you're suing the said person/group

Wait wtf, so that "being sued" crap was not a joke? Someone's actually trying to threaten and sue you guys? Geez.

Major props to soultron for today's website update. We talk a bit about Brolar Bear, the first member of the Dude Squad.

http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/?p=893

B-Genius said:
I actually kind of did this...

and got the job.

Whoa, really? Is this the first person to get a job thanks to Dudebro? Or was that not the deciding factor?

If there's anyone else here like that, come forward. I'd like to think I have a chance when I try to join that indie company a few miles away.

Danthrax said:
Is everyone checking our website every Monday and Friday? Or spreading the word about our Facebook and Twitter pages?
Speaking of the Facebook page, apparently Facebook is getting rid of pages' boxes tabs. Luckily I saved a screenshot of it so we'll be ready once the change happens. Is there any information on that tab that we'll need to figure out a way to display in some other way on the page? Also, while I'm thinking of the Facebook page, what do you guys think of the Social RSS thing I got set up for it? Are its posts annoying, or do you like them?

John

Danthrax said:
Is everyone checking our website every Monday and Friday? Or spreading the word about our Facebook and Twitter pages? No matter what team you're on, you can help increase awareness of Dudebro™ II. =)
Trying to play pokesies with a polar bear was never a good idea, but trying it on a hung-over polar bear who’s subconscious of his brew paunch was an even worse idea.

Eh? You mean "unaware of his brew paunch?"

Instead of hibernating during the winters, Brolar Bear started embarking on six-month-long benders complete with a diet consisting exclusively of deep-fried seal tails.

You could switch this to "exclusively consisting of" to avoid splitting the infinitive while you're at it, scans better.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
cooljeanius said:
Speaking of the Facebook page, apparently Facebook is getting rid of pages' boxes tabs. Luckily I saved a screenshot of it so we'll be ready once the change happens. Is there any information on that tab that we'll need to figure out a way to display in some other way on the page? Also, while I'm thinking of the Facebook page, what do you guys think of the Social RSS thing I got set up for it? Are its posts annoying, or do you like them?

Wait, what? What tabs are they eliminating? (And do you know why?)

ArjanN said:
I think he meant self conscious instead of subconscious.

Oh damnit to hell, I missed that. You're right. Thanks for seeing that, John. (And thanks for changing it, Cosmic.)

whitehawk said:
Okay so Google randomly sent my a $100 AdWords giftcard. If you guys want to use it to advertise dudebro2.com, go for it.

Oh, wow. Yeah, sure. How would we go about using that?

whitehawk

Banned
Adwords is what you use if you want to get your website in those google ads you see everywhere. I have a code that I just need to enter to get $100 worth of advertising.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
whitehawk said:
Adwords is what you use if you want to get your website in those google ads you see everywhere. I have a code that I just need to enter to get $100 worth of advertising.

Alright. Well we've discussed a few things regarding online advertising in the Marketing Wave so we're not wholly unprepared to use something like Adwords. Go ahead and PM me the code and I'll put it to good use when the time is right.

cooljeanius said:
Just the boxes tab, we get to keep the rest of the tabs. The reasons they give are pretty bullshit, people are theorizing it'll somehow give them more ad revenue. You can read about it here: http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/399

Hmm. So we'd basically lose the music player and the YouTube box? I don't think those are huge losses... we'll probably be okay.

so1337

I'm back from vacation. Sorry for not telling anyone I was going in the first place. I was kinda nervous about the flight so I forgot.

Is there anything that urgently needs to be done as far as concept art goes? Jocchan?

JambiBum

Wait, did I just see what I thought I saw in dropbox? An indie games submission post? Are we gonna try and get this to XBLA? I'm so confused and excited!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
so1337 said:
I'm back from vacation. Sorry for not telling anyone I was going in the first place. I was kinda nervous about the flight so I forgot.

Is there anything that urgently needs to be done as far as concept art goes? Jocchan?
Right now, the graveyard.
With the act merging thing, your mansion and maze will go on top of the stairs you see in Mik's artwork... so we basically already have everything we need. Some more detailed art for the docks and motorboat would be really useful though.

Sill4

Jocchan said:
Right now, the graveyard.
With the act merging thing, your mansion and maze will go on top of the stairs you see in Mik's artwork... so we basically already have everything we need. Some more detailed art for the docks and motorboat would be really useful though.
Do we have a layout for the graveyard yet? I've been toying with one, but I don't want to spend the time on it if we already have one.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sill4 said:
Do we have a layout for the graveyard yet? I've been toying with one, but I don't want to spend the time on it if we already have one.
Not one on paper yet.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
whitehawk said:
Shit, I might try this since I want to apply to EBGames :lol
Do it! It shows off your dudeliest passion for games.

cosmicblizzard said:
Whoa, really? Is this the first person to get a job thanks to Dudebro? Or was that not the deciding factor?

If there's anyone else here like that, come forward. I'd like to think I have a chance when I try to join that indie company a few miles away.
:lol It may not have been the ultimate deciding factor, but I did get asked about it in the interview. I wear my role with the utmost pride!

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Mik since those updates to the Japanese translations? I'm itching to get some more stuff recorded, so it'd be great to hear if he has any feedback. Also, I'm more than partial to some constructive criticism on the stuff I've submitted so far - hit me up via PM or Googlewave if there are any lines that need re-doing, or anything you'd like me to work on in general.

Keep up the DudePro work everyone!

Mik2121

B-Genius said:
Do it! It shows off your dudeliest passion for games.

:lol It may not have been the ultimate deciding factor, but I did get asked about it in the interview. I wear my role with the utmost pride!

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Mik since those updates to the Japanese translations? I'm itching to get some more stuff recorded, so it'd be great to hear if he has any feedback. Also, I'm more than partial to some constructive criticism on the stuff I've submitted so far - hit me up via PM or Googlewave if there are any lines that need re-doing, or anything you'd like me to work on in general.

Keep up the DudePro work everyone!
Hey there. Yeah, I'm around. I've not been able to help out with stuff recently because I'm doing my final project for school, but again, I'm still around.

Was there anything else to fix regarding the Japanese translations?.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
B-Genius said:
:D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The website's gone through some minor design revisions, including making the animated banner much smaller so it isn't so overbearing and so the latest update is more visible before scrolling down. There's also a handy RSS tab on the right. Much thanks to tmaynard for making the changes!

And we just updated the site with today's update: Our latest screenshot! This one is of a cutscene, rendered in glorious pixelated pixels!

P.S. rSpooky, that mix you did of the ukelele playing behind General Lee "singing" is fucking hilarious and awesome :lol

Top Bottom