• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

dickroach

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I think EZA glaringly needs a Final Bosman-esque show to attract new people to their channel. A show that is timely/relevant (easier to pass around), that isn't a massive length and that showcases their personalities. I LOVE Huber Syndrome, but it's basically evergreen content because I believe they usually film 4 at a time, and I LOVE Easy Update, but that is one that's hard to recommend to newbies as well. Also, not saying this needs to be hosted by Bosman, although I'd strongly recommend that, just something that is relevant to what is going on and not an hour plus of talking.

I got into GT solely because of Final Bosman. It was kind of an organic thing that encouraged me to check out the podcast after the strength of Final Bosman, which allowed me to get to "know" them all. Once I warmed up to them, I clicked on the other shows. Right now, MUCH of their content honestly appeals to a niche segment of their of their already relatively "smallish" but devoted audience. Like I know they aren't necessarily "view count" obsessed, but they are currently doing A LOT of things that are real lengthy to produce and do minimal to grow their audience/attract sponsors.

They're just at this awkward stage where they're kind of stagnant. Content, while still outstanding, is largely the same as its ever been. They as a group (not picking on @easyallies here) kind of do an impressively bad job at promoting their content and they've honestly provided basically zero explanation of why any of us should be excited about/how they're going about getting their next big goal, a studio. Like, are they currently saving up for it? What would it allow them to do? (more group streams? easier to produce shows? guests?). Like this could be VERY exciting stuff, but I just don't know where their heads are at with it.

Don't get it twisted, I'm a day one Patron and I'll be with them until I don't have any money left in the bank. They just currently lack a "signature" type of show that would serve as a "front door" to the rest of their outstanding shows/streams.

agree with all that. like I'm pretty sure I made a very similar post months ago. especially that part about the awkward stagnation. seeing 95% of their videos get less than 40k views, a lot of them less than 10k, after a year and a half is disheartening

Bosman v Woz fans should check out the start of Monday's fun game Monday stream

he beat Woz' s score tonight before the stream started while watching Monday night football

Thores

he beat Woz' s score tonight before the stream started while watching Monday night football
Isn't Wozniak the current record holder? Does that mean that Kyle has broken the world record?

I think the problem with the patreon numbers is not that easy to crack. The main issue in my opinion is that they heavily invested in streaming, for several good reasons, i.e. building a community and creating more content in a faster and more time-effective manner, but:

- streaming is still time consuming and fatiguing
- they fell into a (positive) routine with their audience, which is great if you are already an eza fan/subscriber because we all love those "cozy" stream. but quite insular and not that suited to get a new audience.
- they duplicated the same type of content. "Storytime with Damiani" and "Friend Code" are just another venue to hear Damiani's take on Nintendo which, again, is great but quite redundant if he's already in the podcast or frame trap. You can have too much of a good thing, in the sense that you are not diversifying your effort.

To bring new people in, they need to focus again on produced shows. And let me stop you before you'll object that it takes time and money, I know that. Not an easy nut to crack.
But imo that is what it takes, and maybe we should accept to lose some of that cozy and familiar routine to let them work on something bigger backstage. Like retrospectives, game sleuth, a bosman show (boxpeek qualifies) etc... Maybe some allies could focus more on the livestreaming and podcasting side while others go ahead full-steam on producing a show for a period.

We love to see those guys stream and hang out, but we initially were attracted by their shows. The same will happen to new people, they will follow suit if they see the highly produced content that set these guys apart from the sea of streamers and youtubers. otherwise it's an uphill battle imo.

I think Bosman saw the same issue and boxpeek is his answer to this very problem.

my 2 cents.

Their patreon is like 2k higher than it was at this time last year, there's no reason to worry about it. They get bumps, they go back down, but they slowly grow.

Auctopus

I think as long as they're not getting too comfortable and are constantly looking for ways to improve their content, cut fat, reduce costs (whether that means eliminating shows/streams or not) then they're good. If they get don't complacent (which I hope they won't), I don't think they'll have growth issues.

They just need to keep experimenting with new shows and be comfortable with killing their darlings/what's not working (shows/streams etc.)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Their patreon is like 2k higher than it was at this time last year, there's no reason to worry about it. They get bumps, they go back down, but they slowly grow.

There's some truth to that but I think the last few months we've lost patrons which I think is generally better to look at than purely the money amount.
That said as Blood stated last year around the same time they had a similar drop and really when you think about it there could be a lot of logical reason why people lower/cancel patronage during summer due not being able to consume much content due being away on vacation or just doing other things with their free time.

Also they already know. Brandon said that now is the time for EZA to try new things to reach new audiences so they at least know.
I just think the things they're going to try to that end take time to prepare. But yes I think until new things come up we're pretty much capped around the 6000 patrons it doesn't feel like we're going to get much more with retaining status quo.
-----------------
I generally disagree though that EZA needs a Final Bosman esque show.
Unless Kyle himself feels like doing it again I doubt it will help in the long run.
I'm more happy that Kyle is following his inklings and tries stuff like Boxpeek however that will turn out. Same goes for everyone.

What might be worth for them pondering about though is maybe how to do other types of content out of each of their homes. It feels a bit like their biggest bottleneck is a lot of their content depending on gathering at Jones to shoot.

BBboy20

146683114ccc66628406423209693ae8.gif

Hasney

lol

Look at all those 500k+ scores. Kyle shouldn't have quit on BvW. :(

Nah,
Removing the input lag from emulation and non-optimised PC controllers is probably what put him over the edge. I doubt he would have ever gotten it while streaming

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That Metroid review... Oh, man. What a time to be alive.

OH MY GOD

Mista Koo

This seems like the most Kyle thing ever to me.
What's more Kyle to me is that he plays games while watching sports (assuming that isn't the norm ¯_(ツ)_/¯).

bosman and huber need to play the new riptide game that is coming to switch
This isn't a new one, it's last year's game. I bought it based on Kyle's recommendation but I think he prefers the one before it (less story stuff or something).

This Knack 2 stream continues to be fucking incredible. 8 and a half hours in. Knack 2 actually follows a lot of good game design rules. More enemy variety in 8 hours of Knack than 100 hours of Nioh. :p

Visceir

To bring new people in, they need to focus again on produced shows. And let me stop you before you'll object that it takes time and money, I know that. Not an easy nut to crack.
But imo that is what it takes, and maybe we should accept to lose some of that cozy and familiar routine to let them work on something bigger backstage. Like retrospectives, game sleuth, a bosman show (boxpeek qualifies) etc... Maybe some allies could focus more on the livestreaming and podcasting side while others go ahead full-steam on producing a show for a period.

Don't think it's really up to the viewers or patrons anyway. They decide what they want to do and they've seemed content with how things have been going for a while now.

I'm probably out of place to talk about this as I know close to nothing about how their group works but their PAX "everyone is equal" comment leads me to believe there's also no one really to take accountability and responsibility for steering the ship.

Ultimadrago

Kyle's annoyed look at Dear Nintendo being "too cute" in the latest Friend Code is ironically how I sometimes react to Kyle Bosman.

Also the "Team E3" bit was neat.

VanWinkle

I would just like more short produced opinion/personality stuff all around with EZA. Huber Syndrome is great, although I am starting to miss his solo stuff with the new green screen. Easy Update is occasionally fantastic, although it's completely unpredictable, to the point that I can't actually look FORWARD to it every week.

It's still a VERY streaming-focused channel right now. I look forward to every time that they venture outside of that.

Kneefoil

I wonder if the change in how Cup of Jones is made also effects the editorial episodes, or if this is just a way to get to the questions sooner. I don't really give a hoot about the Q&A episodes, but the editorials are sweet.

VanWinkle

And jones looks to return cup of jones to a weekly by doing private weekly streams. The setup sounds similar to how they do the Q&As

I definitely prefer it to be pre-recorded. Honestly I just don't really like streams except for a few instances like the weekly group stream and the Easy Livin' and the all-night Knack stream. But in this specific circumstance, he will have to be paying attention to chat and what they're saying and trying to weed through the interesting questions in real time instead of having a good set of pre-determined questions with no live disruption.

But on the other hand, weekly is nice at least.

Karu

In regards to Cup of Jones, will the questions be solely picked from chat or will he still pick them from Patreon which Werke collected prior? The former would be a bummer.

Tournament was awesome, really fun throughout.

Edit:
Super hyped for the Nintendo Direct tonight. Golf Story, Stardew and/or even Skyrim shadow drop, make it happen, Nintendo! Glad it will be covered by the Allies!

Also: Bought Everybody's Golf and... it's fun, but also kinda meh? Me being horrible have the time might have something to do with that, though. :D Online lobbies for Turf Wars are also kinda empty, which is a bummer - any prefered times were there are more ppl playing? It could definitely be improved in terms of special challenges/a star system for each course/and a more elaborate single player island. But it is a budget title, of course.
There should be an option to quick-restart tournaments though. :-/

Also announced a TGS betting special. Sounds like it has typical weird Bosman rules in play (I like the weirdness!) as they're split in two 4 person divisions and the winner of each division will face off at PSX/Game Awards betting special to determine who goes up against Ultima Brad at E3.

Worried Ultima Brad's powers will be too great for any of them if he's just on the sidelines getting cooler during this lengthy layoff.

Hasney

Also announced a TGS betting special. Sounds like it has typical weird Bosman rules in play (I like the weirdness!) as they're split in two 4 person divisions and the winner of each division will face off at PSX/Game Awards betting special to determine who goes up against Ultima Brad at E3.

Worried Ultima Brad's powers will be too great for any of them if he's just on the sidelines getting cooler during this lengthy layoff.

I think it works well for these smaller shows. 4 people for TGS, 4 people for Paris.

Top Bottom