• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Will CC opt out and sign with another team? How many games will the Mets lose when Reyes leaves town? If Theo allows Fried Chicken and Beer in the clubhouse does that guarantee Prince Fielder signing with the Cubs? How much would it take for Pujols to sign with the Yomiuri Giants? And who will finally defeat Bud Selig and sit atop the throne of MLB Commissioner? All This and more in the MLB Offseason.

EvqHd.jpg
1V9u9.jpg

Fi7CV.jpg
1q1Fs.jpg

MLBTR is the best place to get all of the news from the offseason - http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

MLB Free Agents http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/2012-mlb-free-agents.html

Free Agent Tracker http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012-mlb-free-agents

Transaction Tracker http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/transactiontracker
Major League Baseball and the Players' Association announced earlier this evening that the start of the free agency period will be delayed by 24 hours, and will officially begin at 12:01am ET on Sunday, October 30th. All team/player/mutual option decisions are due by 11:59pm ET on Monday, October 31st. Free agents will be able to sign contracts with new teams starting at 12:01am ET on Thursday, November 3rd. The MLBPA will release a full list of free agents on Sunday, but here is our Free Agent Tracker so you don't have to wait.

Here are some other important offseason dates, courtesy of MLB.com...

Nov. 23rd: Last day for clubs to offer salary arbitration to Type-A or B free agents in order to receive draft pick compensation. Deadline is midnight ET. Here are the reversed-engineered Elias rankings.
Dec. 7th: Last day for free agents to accept arbitration, if offered. Deadline is midnight ET.
Dec. 5th-8th: Winter meetings in Dallas.
Dec. 12th: Deadline to tender contracts to players with less than six years of service time. Our Arbitration Eligibles series will give you an idea of which players are non-tender candidates.
Rookie of the Year Award - November 14th

AL CY Young - November 15th

Manager of the Year - November 16th

NL CY Young - November 17th

AL MVP - November 21st

NL MVP - November 22nd

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/important_dates.jsp

2tZfi.jpg

kf333q.jpg

Dominican Winter Ball:
Dmncnby2k9 said:
main website for the league: http://lidom.com.do all games available there.
NPB is sometimes on justin.tv http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports/other_sports

ESPN3 will probably have some winter league games at some point as well.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3#category/BB/

New CBA http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?...r-labor-agreement&catid=30:mlb-news&Itemid=42

Jangocube

Banned
The Orioles will sign Pujols for $5 mill/year, 10 year contract. The reason for the discount?

He gets to join the ultimate troll team.

Fuck... they actually did it! I got out of my car at the party and the radio said it was 2-0 Texas in the first inning!

So, they are showing Japanese playoff baseball on TV? What game did we get?

Sanjuro

Every player should just sign in the AL/NL East. Disband all other divisions. Swap the Chicagos for Florida teams. Ratings gold.

Windu

vas_a_morir said:
Fuck... they actually did it! I got out of my car at the party and the radio said it was 2-0 Texas in the first inning!

So, they are showing Japanese playoff baseball on TV? What game did we get?
someone had a internet stream of the Lions vs. Fighters game. The Lions had a comeback in the ninth and won in the 11th. Darvish pitched 7 innings of one run ball.

Jangocube said:
The Orioles will sign Pujols for $5 mill/year, 10 year contract. The reason for the discount?

He gets to join the ultimate troll team.
No no, it'll be Royals for $5m per year, because he lives in KC and will want a short drive to work.

Sanjuro

Y2Kev said:
so cubs will be spending like 300mm on the same position this offseason
I'm also under the assumption Soriano is crippled and needs to play first base. In reality he is probably fine.

To add insult to injury to the long off season, it's fucking snowing here in philly. In October!

Someone wake me up when spring training starts -_-.

Notrollious said:
To add insult to injury to the long off season, it's fucking snowing here in philly. In October!

Someone wake me up when spring training starts -_-.
Fucking snow. In Philly. And I'm in Philly. And Jose Reyes is wearing a Phillies' hat.

sumbitch

Binx

Lurked a bit during the post season. Long suffering Braves fan. Soooo . . .

Who will play SS for the Braves? Will anyone take Lowe off of our hands? We have some cash to spend with McClouth and Kawakama's (edit a/k/a Kawakami) suck ass contracts off the books.

Elsewhere, the Pujols circus will be fun to watch, and thanks to GAF, I watched some Japanese baseball last night and am wondering if Darvish can pitch in the MLB. Movement and velocity were sick.

Windu

Binx said:
Lurked a bit during the post season. Long suffering Braves fan. Soooo . . .

Who will play SS for the Braves? Will anyone take Lowe off of our hands? We have some cash to spend with McClouth and Kawakama's suck ass contracts off the books.

Elsewhere, the Pujols circus will be fun to watch, and thanks to GAF, I watched some Japanese baseball last night and am wondering if Darvish can pitch in the MLB. Movement and velocity were sick.
I'm thinking they will either re-sign Gonzalez for a year or someone else for a year. I think they view tyler pastronicky as the future SS who should be ready this season if he isn't already. And i doubt anyone will take Lowe off our hands without us giving up 10 mililion or so, which i don't think will happen. And with the arbitration raises and other contract stuff, i think the mclouth and kk money might actually just be a wash.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If the Giants can at least scrap together an average offense, back to the playoffs!

We're going to overpay for Beltran aren't we?

Rage Kage

Neo Member
Seeing Pujols in any other jersey would make me sick. He's definitely going to stay. The Cards can't NOT pay him now. Pujols=Champion. Redbirds=Champions.

eznark

Banned
Rage Kage said:
Seeing Pujols in any other jersey would make me sick. He's definitely going to stay. The Cards can't NOT pay him now. Pujols=Champion. Redbirds=Champions.
Seems deserved since the rest of the country is sick this morning.

clemenx

Banned
What a disgusting picture in the OP.

Is there anything to look forward this offseason as a Mets fan? I'm expecting we don't sign Reyes so they can surprise me. I guess the new dimensions are good stuff. Woo.

Seda

Can't wait for the Cubs to sign Fielder/Pujols for a crazy ridiculous amount of money.......urgh.

Cubs needs pitchers more than anything else. Garza's the only one that's even respectable.

Windu

clemenx said:
Is there anything to look forward this offseason as a Mets fan?
well i don't think you need to worry about the mets signing someone to a 7 year 200 million dollar contract, so there is that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
XiaNaphryz said:
If the Giants can at least scrap together an average offense, back to the playoffs!

We're going to overpay for Beltran aren't we?

I can't see how anybody can overpay for Beltran. He's not going to get a crazy long term deal and he's coming off a season where he hit .300/.385/.505 and almost had 600 PAs yet managed to seem like he missed way more time than that.

But his agent is Boras so I ain't counting anything out.

cashman

Banned
Honestly, nobody should be disappointed in signing CJ. 200+ inning and 200+K production doesn't come around that often.

eznark

Banned
Seda said:
Can't wait for the Cubs to sign Fielder/Pujols for a crazy ridiculous amount of money.......urgh.

Cubs needs pitchers more than anything else. Garza's the only one that's even respectable.

Cubs are forever garbage so them signing either of those players would be the next best thing to them going to the AL.

Brewers are probably not going to do much. Maybe move Marcum for help on the left side of the infield and hopefully extend Greinke but other than that I doubt they are major players like they were last off-season.

Binx

eznark said:
Braves will sign Yuni B.

Why would this not totally surprise me?

Windu said:
I'm thinking they will either re-sign Gonzalez for a year or someone else for a year. I think they view tyler pastronicky as the future SS who should be ready this season if he isn't already. And i doubt anyone will take Lowe off our hands without us giving up 10 mililion or so, which i don't think will happen. And with the arbitration raises and other contract stuff, i think the mclouth and kk money might actually just be a wash.

Hey, are there many Braves fans here on GAF? I'm thinking you are right about Tyler P. and a short term deal makes sense. I just don't think it will be with Gonzalez who was just another in a long line of disappointing Braves signings.

And I also doubt anyone will just take Lowe off our hands, but hasn't Wren said he doesn't see him in the rotation? Making some sort of deal and swallowing some contract would be better than just sitting him.

Wickerman

clemenx said:
What a disgusting picture in the OP.

Is there anything to look forward this offseason as a Mets fan? I'm expecting we don't sign Reyes so they can surprise me. I guess the new dimensions are good stuff. Woo.

Well Alderson talked a lot about rebuilding the bullpen so we can look forward to that. :(

Malo

Banned
Binx said:
Why would this not totally surprise me?

Hey, are there many Braves fans here on GAF? I'm thinking you are right about Tyler P. and a short term deal makes sense. I just don't think it will be with Gonzalez who was just another in a long line of disappointing Braves signings.

And I also doubt anyone will just take Lowe off our hands, but hasn't Wren said he doesn't see him in the rotation? Making some sort of deal and swallowing some contract would be better than just sitting him.
We'll gladly take him off your hands, if you take Burnett back that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom