• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

chris121580

So is Egglia worth checking out if/when it goes on sale? Is there any end-game to speak of?

Also, finished Cat Quest! Level 90, all dungeons, all sidequests, 4/7 spells max level! I'll grind to 99 for fun at some point, but I'm not going to bother getting all the equipment from the gold chests in the dungeons. Not having an indicator in game means I'll have to run every single dungeon again, and that's not happening.
I beat cat quest the other day and loved it! Finished at level 62. Can you tell me how you get keys for the gold chests? I can't figure that out

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I beat cat quest the other day and loved it! Finished at level 62. Can you tell me how you get keys for the gold chests? I can't figure that out

Glad you enjoyed it! I finally called it quits at level 102. I grabbed Nexomon and am really really enjoying it!

As for that gold key:

Head to the starting location and fly south. Zoom out after a moment and you should see an island. There's a quest there that will yield the gold key as a reward.

Also, if you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you level up the Cat Traps (?) AoE skill. It's the spell you learn by Windmew City. At max level with magic gear on, you can EASILY hit for 500+ per tick. Makes level and gold farming a cinch.

chris121580

Glad you enjoyed it! I finally called it quits at level 102. I grabbed Nexomon and am really really enjoying it!

As for that gold key:

Head to the starting location and fly south. Zoom out after a moment and you should see an island. There's a quest there that will yield the gold key as a reward.

Also, if you haven't yet, I strongly suggest you level up the Cat Traps (?) AoE skill. It's the spell you learn by Windmew City. At max level with magic gear on, you can EASILY hit for 500+ per tick. Makes level and gold farming a cinch.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! It's one of my fav games of the year. The music is just fantastic...very similar to costume quest

Li Kao

For those that have played the many ripp off of Pokemon, is Nexomon the best one ? I got a sort of itch to play a game like that. Are there solid ones ?

Returning to ios gaming, still enjoying Card Crawl but I must say Card Thief rules are quite opaque to me. Don't know if I'm dumb or if the tutorial is really a mess. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to try it after a long Card Crawl sessions, as the two games mechanics are so different.

Oynox

Thanks for the tip with the gold key. Managed to grab it a bit early and thus had no troubles backtracking the few caves with gold chests in it. Finished the main quest on level 55 now onto the rest of the side quests and caves. Curious what avaits me next. I'd love it if the dev kept updating this game it is so lovely.

HotHamBoy

Is anyone playing Titanfall Assault?

It's pretty interesting. They've taken a very streamlined approach to traditional RTS and given it the Clash Royale treatment. Fun so far, though I really don't know how many game like this I need in my life.

Holy frigging Cow! Darkest Dungeon coming August 24 to iPad:
http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-coming-to-ipad-on-august-24th/

Looks like I'm dropping my Vita/PS4 save.

Vita version would have been so good with touchscreen support.

Big ipad screen + touchscreen controls is going to be the way to play this game.

What are we guessing on the price? $10?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For those that have played the many ripp off of Pokemon, is Nexomon the best one ? I got a sort of itch to play a game like that. Are there solid ones ?

Returning to ios gaming, still enjoying Card Crawl but I must say Card Thief rules are quite opaque to me. Don't know if I'm dumb or if the tutorial is really a mess. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to try it after a long Card Crawl sessions, as the two games mechanics are so different.

I've only played Nexomon and Dragon Island Blue. Nexomon feels like a Pokemon game. I would absolutely recommend it. Although, if you DO buy it, spending a few bucks on the XP Share item would make your life a LOT easier. I know it's shitty to spend $2 on a game and then another couple bucks on an IAP, but it's basically a coin doubler for your entire team. Makes it so that every monster gets XP from the fight equal to the value of the XP earned (not split like Pokemon).

awp69

I've only played Nexomon and Dragon Island Blue. Nexomon feels like a Pokemon game. I would absolutely recommend it. Although, if you DO buy it, spending a few bucks on the XP Share item would make your life a LOT easier. I know it's shitty to spend $2 on a game and then another couple bucks on an IAP, but it's basically a coin doubler for your entire team. Makes it so that every monster gets XP from the fight equal to the value of the XP earned (not split like Pokemon).

I bought the game and am liking it so far. Never got into Pokémon before but this one has a nice tutorial and the game is really polished and easy to get into.

Of course, I’m early in the game so it will probably get much tougher and I may not know the ins and outs of the best strategies.

Anyway, so if I get the XP share item, is the diamond currency something you’ll really need going forward? I ask because since it gives you 100 diamonds, it would only take two $.99 IAPs to get enough for the share item. But then there’s also the $5 IAP that is probably a better deal.

I’ve been spending so much money lately and still not completely sure I’m going to really, really get into this (especially if the grind gets to be too much) so not sure if I want to sink a lot of money into it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought the game and am liking it so far. Never got into Pokémon before but this one has a nice tutorial and the game is really polished and easy to get into.

Of course, I’m early in the game so it will probably get much tougher and I may not know the ins and outs of the best strategies.

Anyway, so if I get the XP share item, is the diamond currency something you’ll really need going forward? I ask because since it gives you 100 diamonds, it would only take two $.99 IAPs to get enough for the share item. But then there’s also the $5 IAP that is probably a better deal.

I’ve been spending so much money lately and still not completely sure I’m going to really, really get into this (especially if the grind gets to be too much) so not sure if I want to sink a lot of money into it.

The dev has been super active over at TA. The general consensus is that the diamond stuff is completely optional. Some of the story based legendaries are only obtainable via the gold boxes right now, but apparently they will be added as post game content in the near future. For now, the only thing(s) really worth while in the store are the XP Share and the Speed Shoes. I bought both of those and am going along fine now.

awp69

The dev has been super active over at TA. The general consensus is that the diamond stuff is completely optional. Some of the story based legendaries are only obtainable via the gold boxes right now, but apparently they will be added as post game content in the near future. For now, the only thing(s) really worth while in the store are the XP Share and the Speed Shoes. I bought both of those and am going along fine now.

Maybe I’m too early in the game to know, but what value are the speed shoes for? The battles, obviously, are turn based. Is it something you need to catch specific monsters?

I had read a bit over at TA early in the thread and some people were also saying you can do well even with just some of the initial ones you catch. Guess part of that could be just on how much of a collector you are. Then again, that’s why a lot of people get into these games.

awp69

Although still under 300 reviews, nice to see Cat Quest even getting good feedback on Steam. 98% positive!

Shows a game can gain respect on multiple platforms even releasing alongside mobile.

Oynox

Although still under 300 reviews, nice to see Cat Quest even getting good feedback on Steam. 98% positive!

Shows a game can gain respectl on multiple platforms even releasing alongside mobile.
I played it on PC actually. It controls really great with controller and I am not even sure if I would like mobile controls.

I think I finished everything there is to finish. All quests some of which sounded like they should be continued, all dungeons and even slayed Cathulu... Reached level 84 and maxed three spells. That's it. Hopefully they put more quests in the game if it does well enough, just like this dog quest mentioned.

Matt Frost

The new iOS11 feature called Offload is incredible. Allows me to delete games knowing their savegames will still be there when i reinstall them... just tap on its cloud icon and is done. So easy. This should have been like that since a long time ago. Now i dont have to juggle with space anymore.

Also learnt that if you tap and hold the flashlight icon on ControlCentre you can choose the flash intensity.

iOS 11 delivers... enought to make not miss Worm Run or Mini Dash...

awp69

The new iOS11 feature called Offload is incredible. Allows me to delete games knowing their savegames will still be there when i reinstall them... just tap on its cloud icon and is done. So easy. This should have been like that since a long time ago. Now i dont have to juggle with space anymore.

Also learnt that if you tap and hold the flashlight icon on ControlCentre you can choose the flash intensity.

It is a very sweet feature. I had massive issues with System storage filling up with Public Beta 3, where my entire phone would fill up even if I deleted things. System got up to like 30 GB.

At first I thought maybe it was an issue with offload, but then found others on MacRumors were having the same issues even without using offload. PB 4 fixed the issue, thank goodness.

But, yeah, offload is really nice. Don’t have to worry about iCloud saves or backups. You can just offload an app whenever you want without worrying about losing your saves. Best feature of iOS 11 IMO.

BTA

Considering how often my phone just decides to constantly break when the storage space gets within GBs of being full, I'd be down for that if it works.

Part of the reason I irrationally have lots of old games still on my phone is that I'm worried about losing their save data for some reason; I only the other day finally figured out Infinity Blade 2 actually does have cloud saves (I just hadn't enabled the right thing) after having it sitting on my phone taking up too much space for like 2 years after I decided to play the original and then it on a whim.

Though I guess iOS 11 will already force me to accept losing old games regardless. I hate this forced 64 bit nonsense; it really sucks how much Apple just does not care about preserving old games.

EDIT: You can totally do the flashlight thing in iOS 10 though, hah.

That's fantastic! It's definitely one of my least favorite things about mobile gaming is how much of a crapshoot it is about keeping your saves when you delete a game, especially with my 32GB iPad Mini that's constantly filled up.

I can't even remember the number of times I've replayed the Kingdom Rush games because I lost progress, either from needing to wipe my phone/tablet, or getting a new one and the transfer process didn't work perfectly.

awp69

BTW, Public Beta 5, which came out today, seems very speedy and stable. Think it’s about ready for primetime. Other than the 32-bit BS, I’d say this is an excellent upgrade.

—

For those not updating anytime soon, Double Fine will be making Costume Quest, The Cave and Dropcord free pretty soon because they aren’t iOS 11 compatible and have no plans to update them.

Need to start downloading some stuff to my iPad Mini 2 for safe keeping.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'd be careful about relying on the Offload feature during the beta. It's erased a few games wholesale during my testing of it even though the OS reports documents and data are saved (it may be the case that some apps don't store their save data where they're "supposed to"). But yes, once it's out publicly it's going to be handy.

BTW, Public Beta 5, which came out today, seems very speedy and stable. Think it’s about ready for primetime. Other than the 32-bit BS, I’d say this is an excellent upgrade.

—

For those not updating anytime soon, Double Fine will be making Costume Quest, The Cave and Dropcord free pretty soon because they aren’t iOS 11 compatible and have no plans to update them.

Need to start downloading some stuff to my iPad Mini 2 for safe keeping.

Costume Quest and Dropcord are free now. Checking the store page for Costume Quest it looks like the music in the game is broken and they aren't planning on fixing that either. I loved Costume Quest on PS3, why the poor treatment of the iOS version?

Matt Frost

Going all in with Kalimba right now. Best color changing game since Polara. The level design is absolutely brilliant. Im going to make a nice wooden totem, i feel it. Getting all the gold totems is out of my reach since games like this that demands fast reflexes on iOS doesnt work very well. So many mistaps results on so many deaths. But im really enjoying this in a more casual way.

Offloaded Dungeon Tails... game is nice but if they think i can collect hundreds of coins per run... why they dont stack with the coins i gathered on the previous runs? I dont like having to farm coins that dont stack. I had 65 on one run and after the next only 21 where they should have venn 86... this broke the deal. Anyways, Cat Quest is better in any way. So much better. So no harm done here.

Death Road to Canada and Dungeon Tails definitely falls of of my GOTY list. Weird design choices for me.

I'd be careful about relying on the Offload feature during the beta. It's erased a few games wholesale during my testing of it even though the OS reports documents and data are saved (it may be the case that some apps don't store their save data where they're "supposed to"). But yes, once it's out publicly it's going to be handy.

That's fantastic! It's definitely one of my least favorite things about mobile gaming is how much of a crapshoot it is about keeping your saves when you delete a game, especially with my 32GB iPad Mini that's constantly filled up.

I can't even remember the number of times I've replayed the Kingdom Rush games because I lost progress, either from needing to wipe my phone/tablet, or getting a new one and the transfer process didn't work perfectly.

Considering how often my phone just decides to constantly break when the storage space gets within GBs of being full, I'd be down for that if it works.

Part of the reason I irrationally have lots of old games still on my phone is that I'm worried about losing their save data for some reason; I only the other day finally figured out Infinity Blade 2 actually does have cloud saves (I just hadn't enabled the right thing) after having it sitting on my phone taking up too much space for like 2 years after I decided to play the original and then it on a whim.

Though I guess iOS 11 will already force me to accept losing old games regardless. I hate this forced 64 bit nonsense; it really sucks how much Apple just does not care about preserving old games.

EDIT: You can totally do the flashlight thing in iOS 10 though, hah.

Lol didnt know you could do that in iOS10!!

Well, i was going to recommend installing iOS11 beta but since Tunesmith has problems (i havent but fingers crossed) the is better to wait until next month when it releases for everyone. Offload will solve a lot of problems.

Just got an email from Ironhide Games - Iron Marines will release September 14!
There's a new trailer for it too: https://goo.gl/DQnNyN

Really excited for this, the Kingdom Rush series are probably my all time favorite mobile games, and I'm curious to see how well they do with the RTS genre on touch screens.
Final Fantasy 1 to 6 are on sale on the AppStore and Tactics as well. Also on GooglePlay.
Is Square Enix ever going to put Final Fantasy 9 on sale for iOS?

It has been a year and a half and I think it's only had one small $4 sale around the Christmas/New Years holiday.

I might be interest in Final Fantasy 3 since it has a pretty good discount and it's one of the few FF games I haven't played yet (along with 9).

HotHamBoy

So for some reason I never played Age of Rivals despite buying it at launch because it was 99 cents and because I really like deck-building games.

I think I just was never really in the mood to sit down and learn a new ruleset for a card game, I play a lot of card games as it is.

Well, finally got around to it last night. This shit is really good. This is one of the more unique takes on the DBG genre I've played in awhile. It's basically Age of Empires: the card game. No doubt that's why they named it what they did.

The app is really polished (probably because they've updated it like every week since launch) and the art is really good. My only disappointment is that there is no unique art for each card, only unique art for card types. That's totally understandable for a small game like this, though, since that is a massive workload for an artist. But it would be cool if they updated the game with an art package, I would even pay for it as DLC.

The game would also work in physical form and I'd love to buy it if they ever printed it. It would be a little obnoxious to juggle tokens ala Ascension, which is why I prefer these games digital, but I'd still want to have a real copy to play with people IRL.

After the launch period the game bumped from $1 to $4. Right now it's on sale on iOS and Android for $2 and I can't recommend it enough. Grab it for a great price right now!

Unfortunately, Age of Rivals does not follow Star Realms' example where the game unlocks on all devices for one in-app purchase. The Steam version is $9.99. I'm not saying the game isn't worth $10 but the mobile pricing disparity will never not upset me.

killercow

Was thinking about it and for those that like Cat Quest, I’d recommend trying Rogue Wizards. It’s different being turn based and harder. I mean it is a rogue like but not punishingly difficult. All dungeon focused with the over world being for upgrades, learning spells, buying equipment, etc.

All that said it has a similar feel to Cat Quest. It’s free so if you try and like it, I’d recommend getting the gem doubler. After that, it’s challenging but a good challenge — not paywall level challenging (at least for the 10 or so hours I’ve played). Also is fun enough that you don’t mind if you die and replay dungeons or bosses.

Anyway, some food for thought. Cat Quest is still an overall better game. Rogue Wizards is high on my list right now though.

Thanks for mentioning Rogue Wizards! Weirdly, I've never heard of the game until now but it's a polished, addictive take on the dungeon crawler formula and that's quite rare in such a generous F2P package on mobile. Quite the great game indeed.

awp69

Thanks for mentioning Rogue Wizards! Weirdly, I've never heard of the game until now but it's a polished, addictive take on the dungeon crawler formula and that's quite rare in such a generous F2P package on mobile. Quite the great game indeed.

Glad you like it. Definitely a game that deserves more attention.

Oynox

Sad to hear. Loved the first game.
I have to correct myself due to someone pointing my mistake out over at TA. The $4.99 IAP removed ads and timers. The $1 one only ads. It is poorly presented but apparently does the trick.

Granted it's been a while since I beat it, but I don't remember Costume Quest being such a pain to navigate. I keep walking past the same areas trying to find somewhere I haven't been yet.

HotHamBoy

Episode 2 of Ticket to Earth finally coming next week!!! 8/24!!!

I'd given up hope!

Man, I hope it's not so short. I guess this go around we won't have to slog tutorial levels so that's good.

Just an FYI, Pinball Arcade on iOS just released an update to add World Champion Soccer [aka World Cup Soccer but with the license removed]. The table cannot be bought, downloaded or played, the icon takes you to the Custom Balls DLC screen - which is also broken.

Everything else seems fine, though.

UPDATE:
Go to the shopping cart icon from the main screen and buy from there. Bypasses the ball pack screen and was able to purchase and download WCS successfully.

The table looks great, very much intact.

HotHamBoy

Legendary DXP has released!

legendary-dxp-02.jpg

sc552x414.jpeg

PittaGAF

As much as I wanted to like it (Alien Legendary game is one of my favorite card games) I didn't.

It's still a beta obviously rushed for Gencon, with bugs here and there and some weird decisions (like you can't zoom the card when it's most critical...like when you KO a card).
I must also confess that while the gameplay is enjoyable, it's nothing really outstanding and the most in Upperdeck games is done by the theme (Alien, Marvel superheroes....).
The setting here is generic as fantasy can get.

I'm sure Upperdeck is hard at work to patch everything as fast as they can and eventually the game will be fine, but without the proper setting licenses im not sure about its staying power.

Plants vs Zombies and Peggle are leaving the appstore today (not 64Bit compatible):

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-PvZ-...-PopCap-games-on-the-17th-of/m-p/6217098#M522
Ugh, well at least we know now. Thankfully the F2P version of PvZ1 isn't actually bad at all last I played it. Peggle Blast is a bit of a mess with F2P stuff too, but it's still Peggle so it's not the worst thing in the world (my girlfriend managed to beat it without spending money, which really surprised me).

I forget, was XCOM getting updated to 64 bit (or has it already)?

killercow

Ugh, well at least we know now. Thankfully the F2P version of PvZ1 isn't actually bad at all last I played it. Peggle Blast is a bit of a mess with F2P stuff too, but it's still Peggle so it's not the worst thing in the world (my girlfriend managed to beat it without spending money, which really surprised me).

I forget, was XCOM getting updated to 64 bit (or has it already)?

XCOM has not and should not be updated to 64 Bit.

HotHamBoy

XCOM has not and should not be updated to 64 Bit.

I think you mean most likely will not, but yeah.

The dev, 2k China, was disbanded a long time ago :(

Really blows, I just hope this means we might yet see XCOM 2 get a mobile port.

Bummer about Peggle. The first game is still the best but at least it's on a zillion platforms.

I still have the PS Mini version on my PSP and it's on DS, too, if you want it on the go.

Might and Magic Clash of Heroes is probably toast, too. It's also on a lot of platforms, including Android (unlike Peggle Classic HD) and the nobile port isn't that great anyway.

How about Puzzle Quest 2? Is that going away?

Top Bottom