• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which current generation game holds the best graphics title?

BizzyBum

I have to give a nod to The Witcher 3.

Games like Uncharted 4, The Order 1886, and Battlefront may be more visually impressive as a whole, but The Witcher 3 can be downright breathtaking considering the scope of the open world with no load times within each massive zone.

inner-G

Banned
Ratchet & Clank
Forza Horizon 3
ABZU

Haven't downloaded my Gears 4 code from nVidia yet, but I hear its supposed to look really good

valeu

some of those long action sequences in uncharted 4 were unbelievable, the best ever, in terms of what the graphics engine could do and the quality level. i'm playing dishonored 2 now and certainly it's not technically the best graphics but, wow, the art is fantastic - the architecture and world and detail in the levels is the best i've seen. it really is a treat. i often have to stop and just look up and bow to arcane for what they've made.

Novocaine

Uncharted 4 looks good on photos, but the uncanny valley effect is too strong in game.
Being the most advanced is definently a drawback right now, I'd rather look at overwatch than Uncharted 4.

I wasn't sure how to say it but you've summed it up perfectly. Uncharted screens and even gifs look fantastic. But in motion overall it just felt a little off to me. The Order looks just amazing in motion.

Uh, just, no.

They look amazing for the technology they run on but no. I may have argued that case last gen but no longer.

Yeah those Civ V graphics eh?

I have to give a nod to The Witcher 3.

Games like Uncharted 4, The Order 1886, and Battlefront may be more visually impressive as a whole, but The Witcher 3 can be downright breathtaking considering the scope of the open world with no load times within each massive zone.

Yeah just riding Roach through the world and seeing all the different lighting and weather changes is amazing. Even though some of the NPCs look a lot alike at times they all look really good. I just wish the dogs, wolves and cats didn't look so terrible. It was really off putting especially since in one of the DLCs you spend a decent amount of time looking at them up close.

Rathorial

Battlefield 1 (PC maxed out) - Next iteration of Frostbite, has a ton of bells and whistles with a ton of detail and copious vegetation.
Gears of War 4 (PC maxed out) - Pretty much the best example of what UE4 can do, very impressive and varied lighting, destruction is fantastic in areas, and runs impressively well.
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC maxed out) - Lara still one of the best looking characters I've seen, and some pretty impressive large outdoor areas.
Witcher 3 (PC maxed out) - Just the amount of stuff on screen in cities, the pretty solid draw distance, variation to terrain and textures, the nvidia fur can look incredible...all with so little load screens is still an impressive graphical achievement.

Post Pro release it's.....

Uncharted 4
Battlefield 1
Ratchet and clank

The image quality of these 3 games is unmatched on any over console game ever made.

Super sampling really is something very, VERY special indeed.

lumzi23

For the PS4 Pro I download this Infamous: Second Son vid from Gamersyde (higher framerate version 1080p). Best looking game related thing I have ever seen (probably helped a lot by the high quality of the download.

Based on the youtube video I have seen, Battlefield 1 will likely/probably/maybe be the best looking game when you see it on a capable PC.

Yea Infinite Warfare campaign looks really really good. It runs pretty well even in standard PS4. The MP on the other hand actuslly looks worse than Black Ops 3, probably due to its art style and colours being very different from campaign.
Yeah the MP looks like a different game. I'm not even gonna bother with it, it feels worse too.

T-0800

Yea Infinite Warfare campaign looks really really good. It runs pretty well even in standard PS4. The MP on the other hand actuslly looks worse than Black Ops 3, probably due to its art style and colours being very different from campaign.

Don't agree with this at all. I was playing MP on the map Grounded an hour ago and it looks great. Couple of boring looking for sure but the good ones look very good.

Verder

holy fuck seeing that first screenshot of nadine made me just realized she made Uc4 for me.

she was such a well done character

Floody

From what I've played, definitely Uncharted 4, nothing as came close, haven't played The Order though. But my favorite looking game is definitely Rachet and Clank, such a beautiful game.

JBwB

Assassin's Creed Unity / Syndicate (PC - Max)
Battlefield 1 (PC - Max)
Batman Arkham Knight (PC - Max)
Witcher 3 (PC - Max)
Uncharted 4 (PS4 / Pro)

The IQ in all of these games is insane.

ffvorax

Uncharted 4 is simply amazing, now with pro+hdr is even better. No doubt.

That said The Witcher 3 is incredible considering is an Open World, and I would also mention Battlefront.

Unity also was beautiful, but not much optimized... :D

EDIT:
Forgot about the Order 1886... astonishing.

I know it isn't released yet but I fail to see how anyone can argue that FF15 doesn't have the best graphics.

It's near on masterpiece level......

For games already out;
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Battlefront
Battlefield 1
Need for Speed (unspoken but beautiful in the right areas)

Vindicator

Speaking of The Order:1886, the Airship cockpit was one of the most impressive sights imo, well done lighting/PBR

dushyant-agarwal-air-030-cockpit-01.jpg

I know it isn't released yet but I fail to see how anyone can argue that FF15 doesn't have the best graphics.

It's near on masterpiece level......

Hmm, depends on what you are looking for. Some people may dismiss what you say, but I think on Pro the game definitely comes into its own. When you take scale, lighting, animations, modelling, etc. in to account, I think it looks more impressive than Witcher 3 in terms of visuals. I think it is slightly more ambitious. On the other hand, I think they are doing different things. Witcher 3 nails local detail, but is rather more simplistic on the macro scale. I think in some areas, FFXV is less customised at the local level, but really excels at the landscape level.

People who haven't played the Pro version should check out the gamesyde videos. In my opinion there is quite a big difference between Low and High Quality settings. Essentially the difference between low-medium and high settings on PC.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_videos_of_the_new_ffxv_demo-18550_en.html

Harmen

Uncharted 4 by quite a margin, in my opinion. On top of it looking that good, there is also a huge graphical variety (almost every chapter looks really different, thus frequently visually surprising the players) and the world is quite interactive (with both the player and the npc's). And there is an insane amount of unique details/assets.

Battlefield 1 PC is my new no1. Looks amazing and sounds amazing too. Runs very smooth on ultra even with all the explosions and particle effects going on.

HooYaH

Assassin Creed Unity/Syndicate does not belong on the list. Once the game is in motion, it looks pretty ugly imo.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The Order 1886 is still top dog for me graphically.
Followed closely by uncharted 4 and Cod infinite warfare campaign on ps4 pro. Won't lie cods visuals completely blew me away this year. Battlefield 1 and ratchet and clank also look amazing. The FFXV judgment demo running on high on pro is pretty stunning and that's supposedly not the finished product.

I still think Uncharted 4 is the best video game I've ever seen in my life.

But the one third of the output cropped from that screenshot has no graphics.

And still it's better than lots of other games. UC4 is pretty good, but it's not up there with The Order. That game will sit on the throne for quite a while yet.

And still it's better than lots of other games. UC4 is pretty good, but it's not up there with The Order. That game will sit on the throne for quite a while yet.
I think they trade blows. The Order is masterfully crafted and really consistent across the board. U4 is more ambitious, with much bigger environments, more impressive vistas, and amazing attention to detail. I would definitely give the nod to U4 though...The cutscenes and character models also look more impresive to me.

kyser73

I honestly can't pick a single title.

Every one of the emergent consensus appearing in this thread brings something different to the party:

TO:1886 is without equal for art, lighting & animation but for me it was very unequal in places (the hooker in the pub & most NPCs look like waxwork), and for all it's technical merits, it just lacks life in too many places.

Unity is the opposite - it creates an incredible sense of place - looking down on actual crowds from Notre Dame, and the genuinely 3D map of Paris, up down and inside buildings, and that loss of spatial presence was something I noticed immediately on playing Syndicate. BUT even after the patches on consoles at least there were still to many glitches.

UC4 straddles the big area between the super-linear 1886 & open world of Unity, but again there are patches of inconsistency. Best storm ever in a game though, surpassing even Black Flag for conveying the intensity of a storm.

R&C is just a joy to behold, especially on the Pro.

Taking everything in from this gen tho, and I'm still happy that I'm continually amazed by just how damn good looking games are, coming from starting out on a ZX81 over 30 years ago.

And we've still got Horizon, Spider-Man & Days Gone to come on PS4:)

I personally feel like Uncharted blows The Order out of the water.

The order uses extremely dark environments, dull colors, high contrast and black bars/lower res to it's advantage, whereas uncharted is just naturally a graphical master-craft.

heringer

With PS4Pro, Uncharted 4 now probably takes the cake as IQ is not a problem anymore.

Assassin's Creed Unity on PC is highly impressive too. Arkham Knight also looks incredible.

I'll say that I found Tomb Raider really underwhelming in the graphics department, even playing maxed out on PC. It's a good looking game, but it never managed to wow me. Maybe because I found the artistic direction to be meh.

Uncharted 4 is unbelievable.

I've been flicking between different games to test out my Pro over the past few days, like Tomb Raider, and even though ROTTR on Pro has excellent IQ in 4K Uncharted is still well ahead in delivering the overall visual package. The animation, the foliage, the detail, how natural everything feels. The level of polish is downright absurd.

Looking forward to getting Ratchet and Clank at some stage.

JBwB

I'll say that I found Tomb Raider really underwhelming in the graphics department, even playing maxed out on PC. It's a good looking game, but it never managed to wow me. Maybe because I found the artistic direction to be meh.

Yeah ROTR on PC was very inconsistent in terms of IQ. Some areas did genuinely look subpar, even on max settings.

The game overall does look really good. Definitely not the best though.

Top Bottom