• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch optional charging, a few other questions... new owner here!

HF2014

Ok! So Reggie convinced me by buying a Switch! With the Doom announcment and a few other titles, went to BB and got myself a brand new Neon Switch, and grab the game atm that draw my interest, Mario vs Rabbids.

But im not here to talk about how great Rabbids is, im a new owner of a Switch, and got some questions!

- System charging. Alternate way to charge the system without the dock: I got a Ipad Air 2 witch come with a 10W usb c charger , model a1357. It come with the default usb cord too. Is it safe to charge the Switch with?

- Joycons: They come with two staps you can attach to them, and these straps seem to have buttons on it. Are those button usuable in game as extra buttons? And is the only way to charge them is with the system?

- System power: Holding the system power button 5 seconds give me an option to choose to turn of completely the Switch. Im doing that, but when i put it on the dock, it like turn itself a bit on, showing on the top left corner a battery sign, turn itself off. If like after 10-15 minutes i decide to take it back, it turn itself on automaticly. It seem to not happen when i charge it a long time ( went to sleep with it off, took it back this morning and it was still off ) , but if its like if its on the dock for a few minutes and you grab it back, it turn itself on automaticly. Is there an option to turn that off?

- MicroSD cards: Since it kinda cost me a bit atm, didnt buy any micro sd cards. Plan to do it in the future. Which one is the most recommandable? Planning to maybe get a 128 or 256, still not sure.

- Battery saving tip: Other than lowering the screen brightness to like half, is there other tip?

- Alternative to Pro controller : Read that there an adaptor you can hook up on the switch which can make u use the Wii U pro controller. Worth it? Are some other controller worth the attention? 8bitdo?

So that about it with my massive newbie questions threads. Thanks for reading and answering if you got the time!

Got to side with Zero Punctuation (and others probably) here, putting the charging port on the bottom when it's designed to stand up on a kickstand is fucking stupid

BigDug13

I bought a RAVpower brick with USB 3 port. Let's me charge without dock and gives me portable power for the switch thats strong enough to keep up while you're playing.

- Joycons: They come with two staps you can attach to them, and these straps seem to have buttons on it. Are those button usuable in game as extra buttons? And is the only way to charge them is with the system?

Those two buttons become the L and R buttons when using the joycons individually. You can also buy a dock where you can charge four joycons at the same time, I bought the Hori one off of amazon and it does its job.

The other questions I think others might be better able to answer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Uh, the iPad 2 comes with a USB 2.0 charger, not a USB-C charger. It might be possible to plug in some USB2 -> USB-C cable, although I don't know if those exist.

HF2014

Those two buttons become the L and R buttons when using the joycons individually. You can also buy a dock where you can charge four joycons at the same time, I bought the Hori one off of amazon and it does its job.

The other questions I think others might be better able to answer.

Oh! Thanks, great to know what its for now.

Raysoul

Bought-a-switch.gif

Congrats on the Switch

m00h

Banned
If you want to charge your Switch while playing it, you need a proper USB-C charger with a USB-C <---> USB-C cable. In most cases you won't get enough power with a USB-A charger to charge the Switch during a gaming session.
I bought an Anker PowerPort+ 1 24W USB-C charger with a CABLETEX USB-C to USB-C cable, and now it works quite well. Also will order a joycon charging grip soon, since I'm not interested in the pro controller but want to make sure my joycons won't run out of juice.

Top Bottom