• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Beginner's Guide, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Despair

With the release of Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony looming over the world like a dark cloud, I thought it might be a decent idea to give whoever isn't initiated a crash course on the series. I'll be going over the main canon entries, which order is best to consume them, and just have a good time because this series is real wacky get out get out while you still have the chance it's too late for me but save yourselves

haha just kidding
not really though

First things first, if you have a PS Vita, a PS4, and/or a PC, congratulations! You have everything you need to get into the series. All the games are available on said platforms, so go nuts.

Anyway!

wAc63Ad.png

Surprisingly enough, you'll want to start at the beginning. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is the first release in the series, and starting here is basically mandatory since everything after it will directly reference it in some way. It also serves as the mission statement for the franchise, so it's important from a thematic standpoint as well.

It's mainly a visual novel with point and click/detective adventure game elements. Depending on your skill with the latter and reading speed, it should take the average player around 15-20 hours to finish. There are no branching routes aside from a missable optional scene towards the end, but the plot will always progress linearly.

The game is split into three parts: Daily Life, Deadly Life, and Class Trials. In Daily Life, you can spend time with the other characters and learn their stories and such. In Deadly Life, you're in detective mode and have to collect clues in order to solve whatever murder mystery you're faced with. In Class Trials, the game goes full Ace Attorney courtroom drama, complete with many twitchy minigames.

Personally, I'd recommend playing it on the hardest difficulty because this game can get real easy, but that's up to your judgment. There's not much to worry about here, just play it at your own pace.

There is an anime adaptation, but it's more of a recap than a replacement. I wouldn't recommend it as your first exposure to the series. The second game also has no anime version, so you'd have to get into the games anyway to continue the story.

5QDIRy5.png

Whoops, we're getting silly already. Danganronpa/Zero is a light novel (basically a form of short novel) released only in Japan, though fan translations have been circulating since release. It takes place before DR1 but spoils several of its plot twists, so definitely don't even look it up until after you've finished that. It explores some of DR1's more vague backstory details as well as set up for DR2's events, but is ultimately optional (and not very good imo). It factors heavily into another later entry in the series, but... we'll get into that in a bit.

50CbB1Z.png

Regardless of if you skipped Zero or not, the next order of business should be Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. It has an entirely new cast in a new setting, but make no mistake, this is as direct a sequel to DR1 as you can get. Going into why would be spoilery, so just take my word for it.

DR2 is longer than the first, but also a lot tougher. As in, you're faced with what would probably be a perfect murder in reality as soon as chapter 1. I'd recommend leaving the difficulty on normal and see how the first case goes. Aside from that, the structure remains mostly unchanged from DR1, though some gimmicks like a leveling system and a virtual pet have been added. These basically don't matter so you can ignore them if you want.

yZCveO4.png

So, this is where the series gets awkward. Ultra Despair Girls: Danganronpa Another Episode is a spinoffy midquel kinda dealio. Genres are shifted from ADV/courtroom drama to a third person puzzle shooter, though the heavy story focus and VN structure are retained. UDG is set between DR1 and DR2, but it spoils plot developments from the second game so it definitely shouldn't be played before that.

Anyway, UDG is optional. The only thing it ever factors into is this very next entry, and... well, we're getting to that. UDG is of questionable quality, to say the least. Play it if you want, skip it if you don't, just don't be expecting the gameplay or writing to be up to the first two games' standards.

mqJRZhO.png

Skip it.

...alright, I'll talk about... this.

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak is a ridiculous disaster I mean bad fanfic I mean anime series that aired twice a week in the summer 2016 season. The show was split into two arcs, Side: Future and Side: Despair. Proper viewing order is starting with Future 1, then going into Despair 1, Future 2, Despair 2, etc. until you're all done with both the show and the world around you. Future takes place after DR2 while Despair takes place before DR Zero, detailing aspects of the backstory that were never meant to be fleshed out. It also gives the plot of UDG some closure in the worst way possible.

Look, just trust me on this. Not only is this a bad entry in the series, it's also a bad show based on its own merits. It's definitely optional, but really just skip it unless you want DR1 and 2 retroactively ruined for you. I won't get into details because of spoilers, but I was a huge fan of the series until DR3 pretty much soured me on the entire thing.

Take caution and steel yourself if you must go onwards.

Also, if you insist on watching it, please watch the English dub. It's really funny.

UKxlDRb.png

Which brings us to the most recent entry, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, not to be confused with Danganronpa 3. This is coming out September 29th (My birthday, by the way. Also the same date the DR3 finale aired in 2016, fun fact.) and there's a cool demo for you to try out on all three platforms. Don't worry about plot spoilers, the demo is its own original story completely disconnected from the actual game. V3 gives us a new story unrelated to DR1 and 2, but... it's still not a good place to start, is all I'll say. Definitely play 1 and 2 first.

Why is it called V3? Obviously it's just to avoid confusion with DR3. There wouldn't be any other reason, right?
There is.

There's some spinoffs out there, mostly light novels, like Danganronpa/Togami or Danganronpa/Kirigiri, but those can be safely ignored. They don't matter.

I hope this has been at least slightly helpful or at least just kinda fun to read. Just remember, don't ever google anything related to the series until you're done with all of it unless you wanna get spoiled. Full spoilers for any part of it are very easy to find, so be careful, y'all.

T5s569W.gif

This was the perfect time for a thread like this as now that V3 is coming out really soon, I'm refreshing the series back into my mind.

All I know is V3 isn't directly related to DR1 + DR2, but more of a self-contained story. At least, this is what it's being marketed as, but who knows what to really expect because this is Danranronpa lol

Thanks for making this.

Great post OP, thanks for making this.

Regarding that spoiler, I assume you have already played DV3?
If so, what do you think of it?

pupupupupupu

Can't freaking wait!

Played Danganronpa last year for the first time.

Wasn't exactly sure what to expect. It's marvelous lol

Zyrox

Nice thread. Danganronpa is a great series.

The anime didn't really ruin things for me personally. I actually appreciated that it fleshed out some things that were only vaguely talked about beforehand.

Great post OP, thanks for making this.

Regarding that spoiler, I assume you have already played DV3?
If so, what do you think of it?

V3 will divide the fanbase something fierce, no doubt about it. I have mixed feelings myself, but in the end I think it was the right direction to take the series.

Nice thread. Danganronpa is a great series.

The anime didn't really ruin things for me personally. I actually appreciated that it fleshed out some things that were only vaguely talked about beforehand.

I was interested in seeing how it'd flesh out the backstory, but I ended up vastly preferring what I imagined based on the vague information we were given in the game. To each their own, but I can't endorse the anime in any way. orz

ffvorax

I actually enjoyed a lot Danganronpa Anime, so I hope people don't watch it just because of the OP... :p

Can't wait for DRV3, already preordered for my VITA.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
V3 will divide the fanbase something fierce, no doubt about it. I have mixed feelings myself, but in the end I think it was the right direction to take the series.
As somebody who loved the whodunits in the first two games, but wasn't a fan of the preposterous premise of the series' backstory (
a teenage model causing a total societal collapse
), am I likelier to approve of the new direction or dislike it?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is the demo really disconnected this time, or is it similar to the DR1 demo, where it is basically the first case with a different culprit?

AniHawk

As somebody who loved the whodunits in the first two games, but wasn't a fan of the preposterous premise of the series' backstory (

hopefully without giving too much away,
v3's take on the darkness of humanity
is a lot more relateable.

I... can't really answer that. Your thoughts on the franchise as a whole will definitely be a deciding factor.

Is the demo really disconnected this time, or is it similar to the DR1 demo, where it is basically the first case with a different culprit?

It's completely disconnected.

aadiboy

FYI, DR1 and 2 for Vita are on sale for $7.49 each for the next 4 hours. Get them now if you want them on Vita.

RRockman

Banned
I... can't really answer that. Your thoughts on the franchise as a whole will definitely be a deciding factor.

It's completely disconnected.

OP, tell me how YOU feel about V3. I personally like it but I want to see how the ideas are executed when the game releases in english. I know it's a base breaker for sure.

I started watching the anime and I'm not done with it but so far it's okay 6-7/10. I don't think its bad I just wished some of the plot was more fleshed out. I like some of the stuff they were trying to do but it felt really rushed (I still like it for what is). Also Nagito is the best thing about the Despair side of the story his
Luck is so OP it was hilarious to watch and it just makes me love him more, tho he already was my favorite character.

OP, tell me how YOU feel about V3. I personally like it but I want to see how the ideas are executed when the game releases in english. I know it's a base breaker for sure.

It's an emotional rollercoaster of intrigue, excitement, disappointment, sadness, boredom, and an insane endgame that absolutely puts DR2 to shame. I'd have to write a novel just to sort out my feelings on V3, but it's simultaneously a weaker entry while also being the fucking best.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I enjoyed the anime too, then again, my friends despair at my questionable taste so YMMV. The DR 0 light novel is also really good adds a lot of interesting context.

Bladenic

Super excited for V3, I've been on blackout till the demo and had no clue the protagonist was a female, thought it was the robot. Awesome.

I enjoyed aspects of the D3 anime, but it's pretty shoddy as a whole, yeah. I mainly watched to see Makoto, Asahina, and Kyoko again.

DigSCCP

Danganronpa 1 & 2 are both on sale for PS Vita, US7.49 each.
I played the prologue yesterday and I already felt in love with the game.
Since it was my first time playing the séries I went on "Kind" dificult, Im thinking on changing it to "Mean" after reading this thread.

Well isn't DR about despair after all...? :)

That's what DR3 would want you to think. It's also part of the core problem with DR3: it thinks the conflict between Hope and despair is what makes the series work. It's not. It's the characters, the time spent fleshing them all out, and the stakes at hand knowing one of them could go away at any moment as killer or victim.

PranooY

Good work on the OP, OP.

I am a fan of the series, But cudn't get into the anime (all 3), coz it was kinda bad. Also stopped playing Ultra-despair girls at around 1/4 and don't wanna go back to it.
Hopefully there is no references from UDG or the anime in Danganronpa v3, since i have no intention to go back to it.

Anyways i am going through a rough spot when it comes to enjoying games like i once did, so DRv3 will hopefully fix it. I am really excited regardless.

VegiHam

I've been meaning to get back to UDG and give the anime a go for ages and keep putting it off; so I'm delighted to learn I can just not bother and skip to playing V3.

NotLiquid

That's what DR3 would want you to think. It's also part of the core problem with DR3: it thinks the conflict between Hope and despair is what makes the series work. It's not. It's the characters, the time spent fleshing them all out, and the stakes at hand knowing one of them could go away at any moment as killer or victim.

Pretty much. That's part of the reason I liked DR2 so much more over DR1. Other than the inherently better cast I appreciated that (fairly heavy spoilers)
the entire ending and actions of several characters existed to kind of deconstruct the entire idea of the "Hope vs Despair" angle that DR1 embraced near the end. While it was an interesting gimmick/twist during the first game's endgame, the second game really showed how obnoxiously perverse of an angle it is through characters like Nagito. DR2's endgame is one of the most grim ones I've experienced in any game but the ending is still an oddly uplifting one.
DR3 in contrast ends up embodying everything that DR2 kind of just subverted. This kind of stuff is why I never cared for the supplemental material either because that's where it's most present.

If DRV3 leans more DR2 in this regard and doesn't assume jerking off the Hope/Despair angle is the main appeal I think I'll enjoy it a lot more.

I picked up 1-2 Reload for PS4 back in like March. I played the opening, but then my life got busy for a while and I never picked it back up.

I really do need to get back to it...

Thud

Danganronpa 3 was actually fun to watch, until the last few episodes where they tried to bring everything together and failed completely. It really soured me on the franchise, despite absorbing everything before.

The V3 demo resparked my interest a little.

seady

I bought D1 and D2 during the last Steam sale, still haven't play it and now want to get it on Vita sale... not sure if I should...

Catvoca

Banned
Great OP. Completely agree with you, I'd only recommend DR and DR2 to people, all the spinoffs are trash. Looking forward to v3 though!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So how much stupid anime fanservice bullshit is in these games? I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of nonsense.

Animagne

Anime is okay. Just don't watch it in "beyond two souls order". Go for despair first, then future and finally hope.

So how much stupid anime fanservice bullshit is in these games? I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of nonsense.

The first game has some but not a lot, the second ramps it up but not to obnoxious levels (imo) and Despair Girls is where it does reach obnoxious levels.

Anime is okay. Just don't watch it in "beyond two souls order". Go for despair first, then future and finally hope.

Gurl no, it aired in that order for a reason.

Zutrax

I don't want to risk anything in the spoiler thread so I'm asking here.

If I understand correctly from the first post in the spoiler thread that's up it seems like the English copy of V3 is out somewhere? Can anyone explain to me how English copies of Danganronpa V3 are already floating around? Did it release earlier in Europe or something? From what I can tell it doesn't come out until September 29th.

Top Bottom