• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

TheMoon

ATTENTION: Keep your Sakamoto tin foil hat conspiracies, off-topic-unrelated OM/FF dislikes, meta-discussions about amiibo as a business practice to other topics (or to yourself) and stick to discussing the game itself or you'll ruin it for everybody. NOW VIDEO GAMES!
Graphics by Kindekuma! Big thanks!​
bannert3sg4.png

Developer: MercurySteam / Nintendo EPD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Date: September 15, 2017 (EU/NA/JP) | September 16, 2017 (AU)
Genre: Castlevania-clone / Genocide Sim
Stereoscopic 3D: Yes
amiibo: Yes
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: Yes, scroll the map with the C-Stick
Demo: No
eShop Download Block Size: 5458 blocks
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Game manual PDF: English | Japanese
Reviews: Here

EU MyNintendo Launch Offer (includes the theme pictured below):

3DS Home Menu Theme live in EU/NA MyNintendo (20 Gold Points):
edb7a979c4dfff40lwaq3.jpg

aboutzrsyg.jpg

You've always wanted to know where babies come from? Well sit down, buckle up, and grab your favorite member of the Nintendo 3DS-family of systems. You're about to find out in this reimaskening of Metroid II: Return of Samus released on the original Tetris playback device in the year that brought us The Chronic.

The Federation has lost a research team and the recovery team sent to planet SR388, home of the Metroids, and sent Samus Aran to get to Sherlock the heck outta this. And also possibly commit some mild genocide. Hilarity ensues. It's basically a slasher movie from the perspective of Jason.

MercurySteam hit up Nintendo a few years ago to pitch a Metroid Fusion remake but they said "nah, bro" and then Sakamoto hopped on a plain to catch some B6 and holler at his new Spanish besties about doing another Metroid 2 remake. Y'know, because the Game Boy Color version they had in the pipeline probably wouldn't sell so well nowadays.

Here are the facebook profile pics of the sexually overactive teens you will be murdering:
metroids4gsni.png

gameplayxtscr.jpg

The whole map has been redesigned under direction from 2D Metroid veteran Takehiko Hosokawa (Return of Samus, Fusion, Zero Mission, Other M), abilities from later games have been added (wall jump, ledge grab, etc) along with new Aeion abilities that Samus can activate to get temporary benefits. These Aeion abilities need to be recharged once used, so you'll need to collect Aeion Orbs dropped by defeated enemies to refuel your Aeion Gauge.

You can check out just how much the map has changed in this article on Retronauts in which Jeremy Parish mapped the opening area on graph paper and compared Return of Samus and Samus Returns directly. It's fairly spoiler free unless you start looking too closely at what is placed where but it should give you a good idea about how different his game is from the original.

mapknxl0.jpg

Also new is the melee-counter, a defensive attack that gives Samus the edge in her encounters with the nasty buggers in the depths of SR388. This opens enemies up to special takedowns, if you really want to tell them what's what. Samus can also freely aim in 360° by pressing a shoulder button, allowing for extra precision.

The music has been rearranged by Daisuke Matsuoka who took themes from Super, Prime, and the original Metroid II and brought them more in line with the later Metroid titles under the direction of Metroid veterans Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano.

The game offers three difficulty modes, Normal, Hard, and Fusion Mode (the latter is only accessible via amiibo, see section below for details):
4qklq.png

amiiboq5s2w.png

• Metroid Amiibo (Metroid series): Unlocks Metroid Marker, a tool to help you find nearby Metroids. Also unlocks Fusion Mode, which increases the difficulty and puts Samus in the suit she wore in Metroid Fusion after beating the game once. Fusion Mode is harder than Hard Mode.
  • Samus (Metroid series): Unlocks an Aeion reserve tank which lets you refill your Aeion energy. Also unlocks a unique Metroid II Art Gallery after beating the game once.
  • Samus (Super Smash Bros. series): Unlocks a reserve Missle Tank. Also unlocks an additional in-game art gallery after beating the game once.
  • Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. series: Unlocks a reserve Energy Tank. Also unlocks a selection of music after completing the game at least once.
mediawost4.jpg

screens15shi.png

nextmissionkmset.png

TheMoon

metroidstuff6klwv.jpg

PSA: There is no reversible cover in EU!

ahwg.gif

edit:

Oh hey, looky here! This is the folded out back of the M2VC code card:

postera3a69.jpg

MoonFrog

Don't think it'll come for me until Monday. Couldn't play Friday anyway, but wish I could play on Saturday/Sunday.

Edit:

Wow...pushed back to Tuesday :(.

Robin64

Didn't like the idea of controlling Samus with the circle pad at first, but it took less than 5 minutes for me to get over that hangup.

Game is great so far, though I still suck at melee countering.

(Also I see people around the net calling it a Metroidvania and it hurts. Please don't.)

I'm expecting to get this a bit late from Amazon but, with the original Metroid II being my entry point to the series, I'm excited to get another re-imagining of SR388. Crazy to think it's been so long since that OG Gameboy release.

Shiggy

No Other M shitposting? No Federation Force sucks comments? No amiibo talk? Meh.

PSA: There is no reversible cover in EU!

Damn, preorder cancelled
at Amazon.de, my Media Markt preorder is ready for pickup

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
My copy arrives tomorrow. The Legacy one will ship alongside the Super Nintendo mini

I am ready

Aw man, I wanted the OT title to be "ANOTHER Metroid 2 Remake". :(

Really excited to play this. Got it preloaded, so I'll be ready to roll by midnight.

defusal

Never played a Metroid before but have this coming as wanted to support the franchise. Should I play any others first before this?

Never played a Metroid before but have this coming as wanted to support the franchise. Should I play any others first before this?

Maybe you could go in chronological order and play Zero Mission first. Then after beating SR, you can play Super Metroid lol

B00TE

It's finally here. Will be a bit before I can dive into this, but happy to see this all the same. Played so much Metroid 2 as a kid, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Morts

Best Buy hasn't shipped yet. I should never have things with Friday release dates shipped to the office...

muteki

Might poke around a bit tomorrow. I want that squishy metroid amiibo and I never liked the other samus suit one.

Plum

Just put in a new pre-order after cancelling my old one. I sold some games to cover the cost and the new Metroid hype was too strong. Gonna be charging my 3DS now so I can get straight in when it arrives.

Great OT btw!

Toxi

Banned
Out of all the OT titles discussed can't think of a worse one than this.
I saw a bunch of worse ones, so I'll take what I can get.

Would have been nice to have a direct reference to the original Metroid 2 though.
Shhh! No OM discussion as per the OP !
The title is referencing the Other M TV spot.

It's also a famous quote from the Tempest, so eh, it's pretty classy.

Top Bottom