• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| July 2017

if you haven't yet check out that netflix documentary Five Came Back. William Wyler is one of the directors that it profiles.

he was a solid director for sure, kind of like that era's spielberg. Seems like in recent times he's been overshadowed by the likes of his contemporaries like John Ford and Capra.

and Ben Hur is a beautiful epic from the guy.

Icolin

Banned
if you haven't yet check out that netflix documentary Five Came Back. William Wyler is one of the directors that it profiles.

he was a solid director for sure, kind of like that era's spielberg. Seems like in recent times he's been overshadowed by the likes of his contemporaries like John Ford and Capra.

My man. Definitely a top 10 movie of the 50s.

TissueBox

Wyler was one of the better prolifics of the studio-age for sure. Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights, and Children's Hour are also fine work.

C4Lukins

I just recently saw The Fury... Which is a lot of fun and currently on Netflix. It is a Brian Depalma film starring Kurt Douglas and his first film after Carrie as far as I know. Not great by any means, but some great moments.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yes to this.

And don't forget Songs from the Second Floor. The first and maybe still the best of the trilogy.

I think I saw that one. If I recall correctly, there's a scene where a man tries to swiftly pull away a table cloth from a full table, trashes a gazillion tableware and afterwards someone notices swastikas on the table or something. That movie was strange.

Edit: looked it up, that was actually You, the living.

Ridley327

Okay I bought a tablet for the flight. Will Lynch be happy with me watching a movie/show on an 8 inch screen?

If I were you, I would be on the lookout for either a cowboy or someone that looks like Robert Blake in greasepaint, as those will be telltale signs to discontinue watching anything on your mobile device.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-Man 2 still the GOAT

3 is more interesting than the majority of the MCU
It is. MCU movies feel like mass produced plastic. Spider-Man 3 is lazy in many ways, but it's definitely interesting. Symbiote Parker strutting his stuff and the and bitchy soap opera antics with Harry are so weird and funny. It could have been great if they'd commited to that parodic tone.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Went to see The Graduate last night at my local ODEON as part of its 50th Anniversary. It was my first time to ever see it.

The film is such an icon of 1960's cinema that I already knew of the film's most famous shots and of course of its soundtrack by Simon & Garfunkel. So it was interesting to actually see the film as a whole and watch it on its own terms.

If ever a song were more appropriate for a film, besides 'All Along the Watchtower' for "Apocalypse Now", it is 'The Sounds of Silence' performed by Simon & Garfunkel. The song, nearly word for word, describes the inner turmoil that the characters of "The Graduate" face. They are lost and confused, stuck on the bridge of life, two crossing into adulthood, and one into old age. And that's just one way to look at it.

The first half of the film has some wonderful dialogue moments, it pops and snaps so freshly that you feel that everything is natural and not just something someone had to say to advance the plot.

It does feel, at times, as if we are watching a stage play with Nichols use of the long take and how he likes to keep his camera quite during the early scenes of Ben and Mrs Robinson and when their relationship starts to unravel, the camera starts to move and cuts back and forth. Nichols also does some fantastic match cutting after Ben has spent his first night with Mrs Robinson.

Once Elaine enters the film the tone shifts from Ben being lost to having a purpose. To the point that he moves from LA to Berkley to find her so that he can marry her.

The only problem with the film is Elaine's character. After Ben stupidly humiliates her at the burlesque club on their first date, we suddenly cut to the now happy couple chatting away at a burger joint. What happened in between? Why didn't Ben's cruel behaviour end the date right there? The filmmakers don't seem to know. Elaine runs away with Ben at the end without ever mentioning that it might have hurt her when he broke up her family. It's another inexplicable, unearned forgiveness. What real woman acts like Elaine does in this movie? How could someone so flighty and spineless make the stand that Elaine does at the end of the movie? It's as if the filmmakers, like Ben, don't know how to behave themselves around a pretty girl.

The Conjuring 2: Wan ditches the isolated atmosphere of the first film and instead doubles down on what amounts to loosely connected vignette "scare" scenes that he clearly came up with first and then draped a movie over them. It's too cartoonish and lacks any sort of dread to ever be scary, but there's still some fun to be had with the sheer variety of ghoulish set-pieces, and Wan is talented enough with the camera to give most of them a bit more of a vibrant flair then you tend to get out of these pop-horror movies (he's particularly good with the crane shot, using it early on to float through the central location to establish geography before any of the carnage begins). The two stars are also suitably charming, but the whole thing feels like a bloated, slapdash retread of the first film.

Ridley327

The Void: Equal parts Carpenter, Barker and Fulci! Some of the Astron-6 boys decided to strike out on their own for something far less jokey than what they're known for, turning to crowd-sourcing for the kind of apocalyptic creature feature that really hasn't been seen since... well, the names I mentioned should clue you in. Some other films have tried since that point, perhaps most notably Harbinger Down from a couple of years ago, but this one feels like much more of a genuine article in terms of its aims and scale for both the storytelling and atmosphere that it's attempting. The result feels less like an empty pastiche of a bygone era and more like something that could have conceivably been produced straight out of the 80s. With its heart in the right place and the talent to try and pull off such a feat, it's a shame that the realities of low-budget crowdfunding rear their head once more, as the ambition of making a quality practical effects-driven feature feels hobbled with how little money they had to play around with. Too frequently are there shots and setups having to rely on jumbled editing and poor lighting conditions to hide what must have been unfinished full-body effects, and there even seems to be a problem with coverage at times in that there are scenes that play out with what should have been key establishing shots missing in order to make sense of where people and things are in relation to one another. The story complicates things further with its dodgy set of coincidences and one-more-damn-thing plotting to hint at a larger mythology that the film doesn't have the time or money to properly elaborate upon, though that's arguably the second-most Fulci faithful element that the film can boast in its questionable favor. I do feel that the film does work through the sheer will of the filmmakers willing to commit themselves to everything, even in the face of simply not having enough resources, and for what is present, it's hard not to be impressed with the level of effects that are visible, as revolting as they are creative. It's a real shame that apocalyptic body horror seems to have been relegated to the fans in order make them possible, as the passion is sometimes just not enough to bring projects like this to their full potential, but the fact that there is still a strong demand for them is inspiring in of itself, and I feel like that this film succeeds more often than not to make this a worthwhile if flawed venture.

I was wondering if there is any reason why there isn't a similar thread to this for TV shows? I was thinking of making a monthly one.

Divius

I was wondering if there is any reason why there isn't a similar thread to this for TV shows? I was thinking of making a monthly one.
There were multiple seasons, but viewership kept dropping so it was cancelled and not renewed.

Most people who watch shows just post in the OT for that respective show.

There were multiple seasons, but viewership kept dropping so it was cancelled and not renewed.

Most people who watch shows just post in the OT for that respective show.

I watch a bunch of older shows that don't have current threads and I think it works just as well to have either a continuous thread or monthly thread like this. I can try it out and put a little effort into an OT and see if it catches on. I have been watching considerably more TV shows than I have been watching movies recently, and I find I don't have anywhere to post my thoughts on them without creating a separate thread or searching for an older thread to bump.

SpaceHorror

I love William Wyler. Dude made so many great movies from the 30's through the 50's. Dodsworth, Dead End, Jezebel, The Westerner, The Letter, The Little Foxes, The Best Years of Our Lives, Mrs. Miniver, The Heiress, Detective Story, Roman Holiday, The Desperate Hours, Friendly Persuasion, The Big Country (my favorite western), Ben Hur. Being overshadowed these days is a damn shame.

I've been meaning to check out that documentary, really need to find the time.

Mi goreng

We Are The Flesh

I thought my brain had thoroughly been warped by episode 8 of Twin Peaks...Yowza. 2016 Mexican film that had a brief showing at Cannes and is supposedly highly praised by Alfonso Cuarón and Alejandro G. Iñárritu. This is something to behold, maybe even something to shy away from and never to speak of again. I couldn't possibly recommend this to somebody I know. This is what cinema is about doe, potent experimental stuff. 9/10

Anyone else seen this?

lordxar

I watch a bunch of older shows that don't have current threads and I think it works just as well to have either a continuous thread or monthly thread like this. I can try it out and put a little effort into an OT and see if it catches on. I have been watching considerably more TV shows than I have been watching movies recently, and I find I don't have anywhere to post my thoughts on them without creating a separate thread or searching for an older thread to bump.

Eh...try it and see. I don't watch many tv shows these days myself but I'd follow it. I love seeing what other people check out because there's way too much out there to know it all.

Urgent films to see in theatres: Baby Driver. Spiderman: Homecoming. War of the Planet of the Apes.

Next on the list for home viewing: Their Finest. The Last Day of the Tour. The Lost City of Z.

I shall report back once I've watched some films! I was so tempted to see Spiderman today, but I'm finding as I get older the cinema is less of a passion than it used to be. Honestly I prefer just watching shit at home, and I'm finding I'm happier just waiting for everything to hit Vod and Blu Ray as opposed to constant cinema trips. Just prefer the isolation and comfort, and being able to pause and so on.

War of the Planet of the Apes however - absolutely can't wait for that to hit Vod. Seeing that ASAP in theatres since it's a must-see IMO. Impressions forthcoming.

Divius

Oh, by all means give it a go! Experience tells me people mostly just keep creating LTTP threads for (older) shows they're watching, but I'm all for it. I'd love to see a thriving general TV thread.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
About to watch War For The Planet Of The Apes. It's the 3D version that's only showing, does anyone know if it was shot in 3D or post converted?

Trying to determine if I need to fire up the last Planet of the Apes movie (Rise?) before going to War this weekend.

I can't seem to recall much about it. Something something Caesar in the woods something something Gary Oldman in a decrepit city something something.

big ander

On one hand I think I'd post in a "tv you're watching" thread. On the other I remember when the old one was around it was dead and just wasn't as conducive to discussion. something to do with how a season of TV is a lot longer, you spread it out over a long time, so on. like I'd definitely dump ramblings in there about Cheers a couple times but it'd probably be like 5 people.

But uh I could be completely wrong. Do it!
About to watch War For The Planet Of The Apes. It's the 3D version that's only showing, does anyone know if it was shot in 3D or post converted?
Post. Which a lot of filmmakers will argue is now about as good as shooting in 3D. I personally think it's useless extraneous bullshit either way lol.

Trying to determine if I need to fire up the last Planet of the Apes movie (Rise?) before going to War this weekend.

I can't seem to recall much about it. Something something Caesar in the woods something something Gary Oldman in a decrepit city something something.
Far as I'm concerned all you need to know about the new trilogy is this: why cookie rocket?

Dawn! Rise is the first. Yeah you should rewatch it if you don't remember it, it was great.

Sean C

The Big Country
Mighty impressive western from 1958. It's brilliant use of the expansive landscapes coupled with deep focus blocking and widescreen really makes it a terrific visual experience. Even just watching how scenes are blocked and framed is entertaining, but it really does elevate the pretty alright land/blood feud story. The cast is pretty great.
9/10

Now I'm baffled at how William Wyler doesn't get mentioned nearly enough when discussing the great Hollywood directors.
If you ever get the chance to see Wyler's 1941 adaptation of Lillian Hellman's The Little Foxes, starring Bette Davis, do so (it airs on TCM every so often). One of the best films of the 1940s, in my opinion, and not talked about nearly enough anymore.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Just home from seeing War, really enjoyed it. I think Dawn is the better film, but War is a fantastic finish to the trilogy.

kevin1025

Banned
Just home from seeing War, really enjoyed it. I think Dawn is the better film, but War is a fantastic finish to the trilogy.

Good to hear you really enjoyed it! Dawn was one of the absolute best of 2014 for me, so even if it doesn't quite pass it, I'll be more than happy with this one. Only two more days!!

Is the action shot as interesting as Dawn?
dawn_of_the_planet_of_the_apes_children_of_men_by_digi_matrix-d8s0f34.gif

dawn_of_the_planet_of_the_apes_tank_gif_by_digi_matrix-dbfz5lt.gif

Yep! Watched Five Came Back then read the book it was based on. Crazy and unbelievable stuff that they went through documenting the war.

I've been watching a lot of the 5 directors' stuff these last couple months, and it's been a blast.

I just rewatched Dawn of The Planet of The Apes, for the first time in maybe 2 years, and yeah it's still great on rewatches. Both Rise and Dawn are just multiple tiers higher than 99% of blockbusters in the last decade+. The patience, the spectacle, the weight and badass shots in action scenes, Caesar's sheer presence in all of his scenes (especially in Dawn where they shoot him like a brooding king from a moody old school epic), Koba's character arc, the insane CG and performance capture, etc. Most importantly there's a real beating heart that fuels the engine here. Andy Serkis' work is so incredibly underrated. Just top notch popcorn movies.

If War is even half as good it'll still be the best blockbuster this year, and if Reeves can bring all of this to Batman..... WHEW LAD

Icolin

Banned
Room (2015) - meh. First half was far better when we didn't know what the fuck was going on. 2nd half was snooze city.

2.5 / 5

I agree with you wholeheartedly. First half was fantastic and genuinely moving, but
after they escape
, the movie went downhill faster than I can remember any movie going in recent memory.

Definitely the worst of the "I'm trapped in a tiny space with a creepy dude" trilogy of 10 Cloverland Lane, Split, and Room.

Beautiful 2012 (7/10) - This is an anthology film comprised of the following four short films:

You Are More Than Beautiful, directed by Kim Tae-yong
Walker, directed by Tsai Ming-liang
Long Tou, directed by Gu Changwei
My Way, directed by Ann Hui

I've seen and enjoyed Walker before, when it played at TIFF a few years ago, and I was a big fan of Ann Hui's A Simple Life and have been wanting to see more from her, so I've been meaning to track this down and check out all the shorts. Ann Hui also has a new movie that just opened here, which I'm hoping to check out this week. Anyways, I'll tackle these in order...

You Are More Than Beautiful (6/10) is a decent drama about a guy who hires a woman to pretend to be his fiancée, while visiting his dying father. The central performances are good and carry the film. The story is eh. There are individual moments that are nice (visiting horses, singing Korean opera) but the movie doesn't add up to much.

Walker (10/10) is the first (I think?) of Tsai's Walker series, in which Lee Kang-sheng plays a monk in red robes who walks slowly (very, very slowly) through public spaces. Tsai has made a few of these now, but the only other one I've seen is Journey to the West, which also stars Denis Levant (it's good, but maybe not as good as this first one). The first time I saw Walker, I liked it and thought it was surprisingly humorous. Another viewing has only amplified my appreciation. Tsai has a great sense of humor, and it's on full display here, as he finds many playful and witty variations on his basic image (at some points, he turns the movie into a game of Where's Waldo). The ending is an incredible punch line. This is basically performance art, and the project gains its greatest sense of clarity in the centerpiece image of Lee walking slowly down the middle of the frame, in the middle of a road in a busy market. People stop, stare, take pictures, etc. By inserting Lee into the middle of a busy market, he's able to alter the rhythm of the entire scene, as if the onlookers are all slowly pulled into the monk's gravity field. From concept to execution, this is pretty much the perfect short film. I found the whole experience calming and peaceful (and funny!). I adore this film.

Long Tou (5/10) is something of an interesting audio/visual experience. It has a great soundtrack, as it takes sounds from various scenes and folds them together, moving them forward through the entire piece, creating a compelling and ethereal soundscape out of repetitive, mundane noises. There is also one scene, in which a girl shares a memory of traveling home in the winter, and struggles to make sense out of the passing of time, that I found surprisingly moving. But that's all the praise I can give this film. Otherwise, I thought it was kind of a meandering mess.

My Way (7/10) often feels a little silly and naïve, even if its heart is in the right place. I would actually like to have seen a longer version of this, however, as I think Francis Ng does a pretty good job and could have built a really strong performance with more material. I'm not sure how I feel about the flashbacks, however, and if they were even necessary. It's too short to do justice to the different plot threads and emotions on display. But there are a couple scenes that cut very deep, indeed, and overall, I thought it was nicely done.

Village of the Damned: A deep cut in the "evil toe-headed children" genre for those who have worn out their copies of Cronenberg's The Brood. This is goofy as fuck of course, but Carpenter was still had a little of his magic left in '95 to add some nice grizzly touches like a dude getting cooked to death over his own grill during the mysterious and, genuinely eerie, town-wide blackout that kicks off the movie. Things get silly from there, but silliness is something Carpenter is comfortable working in. As you might expect, the score is quite good, and there are some evocatively framed shots and some moody atmosphere (despite the mostly sunlit setting and the lack of widescreen Carpenter's best stuff is shot in). It's a bit ponderous overall, but it's not quite in the sad portion of his career where things like The Ward occupy. There's still a little fun to be had here.

zoukka

Wow It comes at Night was amazing. Didn't know anything about it before hand. Crazy good directing and shooting, very believable acting and the story showed great restraint, which is always refreshing.

This should also be right up GAF's alley in terms of the subject material.

gamz

Wow It comes at Night was amazing. Didn't know anything about it before hand. Crazy good directing and shooting, very believable acting and the story showed great restraint, which is always refreshing.

This should also be right up GAF's alley in terms of the subject material.

Dying to see it! Hope it comes on VOD soon. Big fan of his first movie Krisha.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. First half was fantastic and genuinely moving, but
after they escape
, the movie went downhill faster than I can remember any movie going in recent memory.

Definitely the worst of the "I'm trapped in a tiny space with a creepy dude" trilogy of 10 Cloverland Lane, Split, and Room.

"Did you ever think of taking your own life?"
"No, why would I do that?"

Tries to take her own life.

I mean, what?

I actually thought the script could have gone in a different way, suggesting that the tiny room in which they were trapped became a larger room (the house) in which they were essentially trapped because of the trauma of their experience. But it didn't do that. It sort of was like "hey we're out, let's have ice cream and play with Legos!"

I watched Howl's Moving Castle last night with my girlfriend on a movie date. It was my third Ghibli movie!

Unfortunately, I really didn't like it. It never portrayed its tone and emotions coherently, the ending was horrible, and I really disliked the animation. Definitely the worst Ghibli movie I've seen, and considering I wasn't too pleased with The Tale of Princess Kaguya, that makes Ghibli 1/3 for me. But that 1 is Princess Mononoke and that movie is AMAZING so

UrbanRats

I watched Howl's Moving Castle last night with my girlfriend on a movie date. It was my third Ghibli movie!

Unfortunately, I really didn't like it. It never portrayed its tone and emotions coherently, the ending was horrible, and I really disliked the animation. Definitely the worst Ghibli movie I've seen, and considering I wasn't too pleased with The Tale of Princess Kaguya, that makes Ghibli 1/3 for me. But that 1 is Princess Mononoke and that movie is AMAZING so
You were going so well...
Although the animation in Howl is amazing, despite the film's glaring problems.

For me, Princess Kaguya is a top 5 movie of the decade. That movie hit me so fucking hard.

Icolin

Banned

If you don't end up liking Spirited Away when you see it (which should be ASAP), you should delete your account.

tumblr_mv6jiaFdtr1sdgpnmo4_r1_500.gif

People already know my opinion of Kaguya around these parts...

Top Bottom