• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters: DESTINY starts airing (CG series)

Loona

I thought Krauser was the older "brother"

Nah - he's bigger, but it's canonical that Krauser's younger and well trained enough at a young age to beat up his older bastard brother:

"1968
Geese’s mother Maria succumbs to illness about this time. Geese Howard (age 15) and Wolfgang Krauser (age 9!) face off."

The revelation that Geese was born in Germany and that "Geese Howard" isn't even his original name was pretty unexpected, unclear as some his history was...

I already tended to see the US flags and asian statues in Geese's stage as a "fuck Europe and my father's family" factor, but this kinda elevates that now...

NeonZ

Geese's backstory here kind of makes him a dark mirror to Terry and Andy, since he was also moved by revenge, but let it completely consume him. It's cliche, but I guess it works.

Episode 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGrutKorf0

uWDkbx5.png

BadWolf

Another sweet ep and another awesome fight. Butt attacks, fireballs, sobat kicks, fans, supers, they nailed everything.

E1a5J0h.gif

It was funny seeing King play the gold digger, it's for a good cause but still. Oh and that open shirt...

Mai looking like a flasher with that raincoat for a sec there lol.

Also enjoying the interactions between Saisyu and the mom, dude is totally whipped.

Added, thanks.

Another sweet ep and another awesome fight. Butt attacks, fireballs, sobat kicks, fans, supers, they nailed everything.

E1a5J0h.gif

It was funny seeing King play the gold digger, it's for a good cause but still. Oh and that open shirt...

Mai looking like a flasher with that raincoat for a sec there lol.

Also enjoying the interactions between Saisyu and the mom, dude is totally whipped.

Added, thanks.

Yeah, it's really weird to see her freak out about money. And the open shirt thing seems so unlike her too. Yuri's shirt was CUUUTE. The fight scene was great too.

Also, yay! Rugal and Heidern stuff next!

Wasn't King's original motivation to enter precisely the prize money for her brother? Seems like they just amped up her greed for laughs but otherwise they haven't deviated from canon too much.

Anyways, since China is one episode ahead of us, there's already some pics of the preview for episode 8.

UYOKaAG.jpg

Wad10JP.jpg

MzpQf3P.jpg

Tizoc

Wasn't King's original motivation to enter precisely the prize money for her brother? Seems like they just amped up her greed for laughs but otherwise they haven't deviated from canon too much.

Anyways, since China is one episode ahead of us, there's already some pics of the preview for episode 8.

UYOKaAG.jpg

Wad10JP.jpg

MzpQf3P.jpg

What is wrong with Chang's face?

Loona

greed works better on Yuri though - IIRC she already had that side emphasized inn SvC MotM for the NGPC, where they pitted her against Capcom's BB Hood, not to mention all the pragmatic family outsmarting she indulges in the KoF backstories... King's supposed to be the reasonable, grounded one, between her brother to take care of and a business to run...

When her silhouette appeared, for a moment I thought that'd be Vice, since apparently in the game they have a bit of a history.

Geese being on speaking terms with Rugal was a neat touch, that one way for one to have access to the other's techniques...

BadWolf

greed works better on Yuri though - IIRC she already had that side emphasized inn SvC MotM for the NGPC, where they pitted her against Capcom's BB Hood, not to mention all the pragmatic family outsmarting she indulges in the KoF backstories... King's supposed to be the reasonable, grounded one, between her brother to take care of and a business to run...

Not complaining about canon or anything, just found it fun and refreshing. Makes me look forward to her meeting Ryo even more now. I like them adding more oomph/personality to the characters instead of just going for the obvious.

And yeah, Yuri would make for a good gold digger but here she's in full rebel mode and it's working out really well.

When her silhouette appeared, for a moment I thought that'd be Vice, since apparently in the game they have a bit of a history.

Nice catch but probably a little too early in the story for that.

Galdelico

Found myself dealing with the poor character design pretty easily, as the fighters themselves come out all very likeable and the story remains fun to keep up with. Next episode seems to be another good one in the series.

BadWolf

The
assault
scene went on longer than I expected, the guy's VA really got into the role though lol. Digging Angelina,
too bad she'll die :/

That Heidern/Rugal debut.

The show is really, really good at leaving me wanting more after each ep.

Episode 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TRnCYuF6A
Seems like
Rugal
may make his appearance sooner than I expected

Thanks, added.

Found myself dealing with the poor character design pretty easily, as the fighters themselves come out all very likeable and the story remains fun to keep up with. Next episode seems to be another good one in the series.

Yeah a few issues with faces are very easy to ignore when they are nailing pretty much everything else.

Watched episode 7 just now. They got Rugal doing work. Pleased with what this series is doing thus far. I like the fact that all the characters are getting decent screen time with no fodder characters. Thanks SNK.

BadWolf

ZCuFYQn.gif

4M8sr8u.gif

5cUQf4a.gif

They are nailing the character interactions. Also dig how all of them were welcomed as celebrities.

Surprised to see that they went with the classic/XIII outfit for Kensou, guess they wanted to make the team feel more Chinese since even Athena's outfit (which is the one from KOF97, nice touch SNK) has been modified to look more Chinese. Probably because they won't be able to introduce Shun'ei and Meitenkun any time soon.

Thanks.

iJack

Banned
Discovered this thanks to Gaf, watched the first two episodes and good God it's awesome. It's late, but I'm watching it more tomorrow. I'll make sure to warn some friends that will go crazy over this.

BadWolf

That was a pretty smart excuse to get Terry and Kyo to fight early. Dat DP.

So far they are connecting FF/KOF and Rugal/Geese nicely.

They've already shown Ralf, Clark and Heidern. Wonder if Leona is in the cards for this season.

Mai really enjoys that attention.

I like how they are handling that aspect of her.

She's got it, she knows it and she's proud of it.

Discovered this thanks to Gaf, watched the first two episodes and good God it's awesome. It's late, but I'm watching it more tomorrow. I'll make sure to warn some friends that will go crazy over this.

Good stuff and yeah, this show turned out way better than all of us expected.

Episode 9 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXxnWraYTc

Man, that Kyo and Terry fight.

Thanks, added.

The revelation that Geese was born in Germany and that "Geese Howard" isn't even his original name was pretty unexpected, unclear as some his history was...

I already tended to see the US flags and asian statues in Geese's stage as a "fuck Europe and my father's family" factor, but this kinda elevates that now...

I always find it funny he renames himself Geese. Like after getting his ass whooped by Krauser, he is sitting in some park, feeding birds, then decides to name himself after his only friends in Southtown.

BadWolf

Episode 10 is out.

Kind of on the short side for the long wait but getting some back story on Kyo and Beni was nice I guess.

Fun tidbit about Kyo's girlfriend:

Originally, Yuki was not meant to be conceptualized, since her first mention ever in the King of Fighters story was in Kyo's profile as one of his most cherished possessions. Her addition to his profile was added by one of the programmers mostly as a joke since Kyo was more popular with female gamers (some of them being yaoi fans) than male ones.

Looks like the tournament will start full swing starting with next week's ep, time to prepare our butts for some awesome fights.

Loona

Interesting that they bothered to cover the first time Rock and Terry met, but doing that in the presence of the new girl, a reference to the girls from the animes, when she's supposed to be geese's adopted daughter, raises more questions than it answers.

Kensou's strategy of trying to match Athena's moves to impress her seems unwise to say the least...

By the end of the tournament proper it'll probably be either Kyo or Terry's team standing, but Ryo could have had a more interesting match on his way out, be it with King or his sister, if they really wanted to have the Kyokugen boys lose to the ladies...

BadWolf

mCJ3vn4.gif

7idhTJx.gif

And what a great start it is, really like how they are pacing this. This part is so easy to screw up but so far it's going good.

Kim next week!

AOF Ryo is a badass.
KOF Ryo is a wuss.

Interesting that they bothered to cover the first time Rock and Terry met, but doing that in the presence of the new girl, a reference to the girls from the animes, when she's supposed to be geese's adopted daughter, raises more questions than it answers.

Kensou's strategy of trying to match Athena's moves to impress her seems unwise to say the least...

By the end of the tournament proper it'll probably be either Kyo or Terry's team standing, but Ryo could have had a more interesting match on his way out, be it with King or his sister, if they really wanted to have the Kyokugen boys lose to the ladies...

It's definitely a more fun take on Ryo, he seems to be too busy worrying about Yuri to focus on anything properly.

Though it's nice to see them give Mai an actual strong presence, both personality and ability wise, instead of just being eye candy.

Speaking of which, what's with the the white bandage on her wrist? They took away her usual ninja 'gloves' and also added that thing on her thigh. The undies are also less revealing but not quite granny panty territory like in the censored version of XIV. I've seen this design used a few places now, wonder if it will make it into XV.

Interesting how the match announcement screen on top of the stage shows Kensou in his KOF94 outfit but the actual character model is using his classic/XII costume.

Seeing Rock this early was definitely a surprise but at the same time it was a nice one since it means they aren't taking things slow with handling one thing at a time so we can expect character/events to pop up much sooner than previously thought.

Oh and that part where Mai was poking away at Joe, with Andy in the background being the clear real target, was so good lol.

NeonZ

The AoF's team fight wasn't even on screen. Takuma only appeared in the monitor. That's my first big disappointment with this show...

Top Bottom