• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treehouse Live 9:30AM EST on 1/13 Nintendo Switch Games

That doesn't indicate what will be available at launch?
15977264_1865839347021091_5974266637696008367_n.png

meppi

Damn, Bomberman looked so bad. Yikes.

Can't believe Xenoblade is slated for 2017.
I hope to God this will happen, but I just can't see it at this point.
Must be due to not hearing anything at all about it before today.

Delio

So, thoughts now that Treehouse is done? A few from me:
  • Assuming no delays, I don't think the launch window lineup is so bad, at least for first-party. By summer we'll have Mario Kart 8+, Snipperclips, Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Zelda. Of course third-party gaps continue to be a problem.
  • What I hear about online is very concerning. Mario Kart and Splatoon definitely need to be available for free multiplayer, as they said some games would be.
  • $300 is on the high end of acceptability - more than I'd hoped, but not completely outrageous.
  • $80 for joycons is not as as it sounds since they count as two controllers for most games. Like buying one set gives you four players for Mario Kart, while you'd pay more for three with most other consoles (and you effectively come with two controllers for many games already). On the other hand you probably will still need both joycons for games requiring two sticks. $70 for the pro is simply outrageous though.
  • $50 for 1-2 Switch? Really? Yes, it could be fun at parties, but a game of Catchphrase costs $20 and has more substance (not to mention smartphone apps)! Even Treehouse were obviously forcing the hard sell.

Did they really mention that some of the games will have free multiplayer?

Really wish they'd move Mario Kart up either to launch or at least to the beginning of April. :/ End of April is actually 2 months from launch.

I'm perplexed at why Mario Maker is not a launch title. I never had a Wii U, so MM + Zelda would put me all in. I have little interest in any other titles this year; maybe Splatoon 2 but that requires online. In fact MM will probably require online sub also if it ever gets ported.

Do we have a price for Super Bomberman R yet? It's looking like I'm gonna do Zelda, SnipperClips, and Bomberman for launch, depending on the price. Not sure if I'm willing to shell out a full $60 for Bomberman though, hopefully it's $40 or less.

People were worried about showing so many Ports and we only saw
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Everything was new
Super Mario O
Zelda
Arms
Snipperclips
Splattoon 2
Xenoblade 2
FE Warriors
12 Switch

Mandelbo

I'm perplexed at why Mario Maker is not a launch title. I never had a Wii U, so MM + Zelda would put me all in. I have little interest in any other titles this year; maybe Splatoon 2 but that requires online. In fact MM will probably require online sub also if it ever gets ported.

Splatoon 2 doesn't require online, it's got a single player campaign like the first one did.

Volotaire

Is there an archive available yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI&t=3s

From Ninty description:

29:58 - Livestream Start
44:11 - ARMS
1:27:59 - Nintendo Switch Unboxed
1:43:41 - Reggie Reveals The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Collector's Sets
1:53:38 - Splatoon 2
2:14:06 - Super Bomberman R
2:39:18 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3:15:53 - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
3:40:16 - Fire Emblem Warriors
3:44:48 - SnipperClips
4:02:47 - Has-Been Heroes
4:23:16 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4:53:43 - Super Mario Odyssey
5:18:52 - 1-2 Switch

Note, no Mario gameplay.

Kouriozan

All those games up to Spring should be at launch , Summer and Autumn should be launch window .

They should have delayed this .

But they already delayed from late 2016 to early 2017 "so the software will be ready"
And then one or two will be delayed to 2018.
This feel like Wii U all over again.

Crayolan

Isnt this lacking games? where is Rayman Legends?

A lot of announced games don't have released dates pinned down yet. For example, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will probably be 2017, but there are no details on release timing yet. Same thing with Rayman Legends.

Nairume

Banned
People were worried about showing so many Ports and we only saw
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Everything was new
Super Mario O
Zelda
Arms
Snipperclips
Splattoon 2
Xenoblade 2
FE Warriors
12 Switch
I wonder if the updates they are talking about are ports padding out the year, since they might have wanted to not focus too much of the event on ports.

zroid

Banned
Watching that stream on the LINE channel, it's not anywhere else is it?

edit: never mind I got a youtube link. cool!

DeathPeak

I honestly don't think this is a horrible launch year of titles. Splatoon 2, Mario, Zelda, and possibly Xenoblade are more than enough for me. I have a PS4 and PC to play games on too. I don't know how you all find the time to play so many games that you need more than what's being offered the first year. If they launched everything the first year, everyone would just be complaining about the droughts the following year.

MADGAME

Does anyone think we could see some Switch games take advantage of the 16 buttons the main controller has when the Joycons are docked?

8 circle buttons (4 on each joycon)
Plus button
Minus button
Left stick (L3)
Right stick (R3)
L button
R button
ZL button
ZR button

Even something simple like using them as hotkeys/shortcuts in certain games would be neat.

Edit: if you play game with both Joycons un-docked, there would be 20 available buttons.

Raitaro

Here's the latest one from Nintendo of America's Twitter:[/url]
C2E_Y0vXcAAWqNI.jpg:orig

To me this selection, while nice at first glance, does not scream "We are going all out here! These games are why we had so few Wii U games in its last year! This is what unified development amounts to now that we don't have to fill two systems with games!" when it comes to the first party games announced (the third party stuff is lacklustre as well to be honest but that's a whole different problem).

Instead, I get a strong Wii U style "3 or 4 big first party game per year should be enough to hold people over" vibe that made me wonder all throughout the Wii U's lifespan when the heck all the other games would be coming out finally. In the Wii U's case it was nearly always the 3DS that ended up getting them but now with Switch I had hoped that that problem would not have persisted. I'm even thinking now that they are in fact not going all out with the Switch and that it won't be long before we see new 3DS games popping up again while we scratch our heads wondering why they are not coming to Swich.

I really hope I'm wrong on all of this though and that they are actually saving some stuff for E3. Then again, their previous years don't give me much confidence for that scenario though...(i.e. what are/have they (been) working on?!)

All those games up to Spring should be at launch , Summer and Autumn should be launch window .

They should have delayed this .

I'm seeing this sentiment everywhere and I don't agree. Why delay it? If you are personally not interested, then take a pass until what you want to play is out. Otherwise, you are completely unaffected by an early launch.

I'll be happy to play Zelda in March.

deleted

If it is truly coming, they didn't announce it yet because SMM 3DS is burning up the charts!
They 'just' re-released it and its selling. They will give it room to breathe before announcing a superior portable version in every way.

If it's coming at all.

This is missing quite a 'lot' of stuff.

We already have boxart for Redout and Binding of Isaac+, Steep is surely not coming 2018, Rayman is missing, I guess Stardew Valley and Yooka Laylee is coming this year on Switch too.. And these are all confirmed on the way. The Rabbits RPG remains to be seen, als well as some Wii U ports.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here and why this stuff isn't PRd properly by Nintendo.

Narroo

To me this selection, while nice at first glance, does not scream "We are going all out here! These games are why we had so few Wii U games in its last year! This is what unified development amounts to now that we don't have to fill two systems with games!" when it comes to the first party games announced (the third party stuff is lacklustre as well to be honest but that's a whole different problem).

Or, just reality setting in. Nintendo never released that many games between both the Wii U and 3DS anyways, and they've been releasing new 3DS games up through Fall. On top of that, games take two to three years to develop nowadays and you've got a new system to develop for.

While it's a bit disappointing, how many brand new games were people expecting?

Top Bottom