• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch being a hybrid, traditionally handheld series will probably get upgraded

Mandoric

Banned
In Japan, this stopped being a thing for smaller developers at the release of PS3. Look at e.g. Tales games on that platform, or even PS4. Not really far beyond PS2-quality assets, solid commercial success.

I'd argue that on modern platforms it isn't even a thing in the West anymore. Outside of the "AAA" space that is.

Apart from what Inuhanyou mentioned, Tales is also its own special case of expectations. I agree that talking specifically about resolution-driven asset costs is silly, but the greater overall thrust is that the expanded possibilities offered by new tech are naturally what users buy the system for and thus become a baseline - and Tales is basically the picture of the lone genre king left standing through constant engine investment and unmatchable asset extravagance, just for sound in its case and gated by vertical integration as much as raw dosh.

Coffinhal

Can't wait to see what they do with Animal Crossing, they can do a leap as big as the DS>3DS was, or even bigger. Aside from graphics, they can bring it to a new scope with a depth that we all dreamt of.

For Pokémon the transition has been done with Sun/Moon, which were clearly thought from a one-screen perspective and with ambitious graphics (and renewal of the series). We'll need to wait two years to see a bigger update, maybe.

tuffy

Conceptually, the Switch seemed like a way for Nintendo to combine their console and portable lines and have all their big franchises on a single piece of hardware. But its price is $50 higher than what the 3DS originally sold for, and its presentation pushed it as an inverted Wii U first and foremost. I find it hard to believe Nintendo has some sort of 4DS waiting in the wings after all the trouble of getting Nvidia on board, so some sort of cheaper slimmed-down Switch revision is going to be necessary in order to keep the Pokemon audience happy.

I'm still optimistic about the Switch because of this line of reasoning. I believe the system will be a mix of big budget Nintendo titles and smaller 3ds like affairs that made that system so good. The new rpg from the Bravely Default team gives a good sign of this. Hopefully we'll get a bunch more at E3 such as Mario and Luigi, Fire Emblem (probably too soon), or Ace Attorney.

However, if Nintendo announces a full on handheld successor that is completely unrelated to the Switch then I'm done, absolutely fucking done. They've got a good chance of doing something amazing here with consolidating what used to be two separate system libraries into one device. One of their biggest weaknesses has been game draughts for their systems over the years and having a true hybrid system takes a good step in fixing that.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Conceptually, the Switch seemed like a way for Nintendo to combine their console and portable lines and have all their big franchises on a single piece of hardware. But its price is $50 higher than what the 3DS originally sold for, and its presentation pushed it as an inverted Wii U first and foremost. I find it hard to believe Nintendo has some sort of 4DS waiting in the wings after all the trouble of getting Nvidia on board, so some sort of cheaper slimmed-down Switch revision is going to be necessary in order to keep the Pokemon audience happy.
Yeah I really think Switch should've been 2 separate devices that both use the same game cards. One would be a 3DS XL-sized handheld, with a dock + controller sold separately. The other would be a Shield TV-like mini console. Both could've been sold for $199.

I actually believe that both of those will be released eventually. Remember Iwata's comments about console and handheld being like "brothers in a family of systems"?

The current Switch tablet makes sense when you consider it as one member of that family. What doesn't make sense is making that the first one they release. It's the high-priced, jack of all trades that tries to be everything for everybody.

I think they can't replace the 3ds with the switch. The products are too different in everything. It's way too pricey.

And they keep insisting this is not a portable. Wich is crazy when you think about it.

Cause i'm telling you. If they say tomorrow, there is a new portable coming after that. Switch preorders are cancelled everywhere. People are motivating themselves cause they think this will have all the portable games.

See :)

Switch has sooo many problems. It's a catastrophic offer. Its life hangs to a thin thread. The ambiguity that it may be the only place for every Nintendo games in the future helps it a LOT right now.
A 3DS successor that is not compatible with the Switch is really silly to think about at this time. Nintendo is consolidating their library to get a multitude of advantages, like the ability to carry that library to different form factors. Such a device you are describing will screw up that flexiblity.

If the current Switch has some issues with attracting the pure-portable crowd (or pure-console crowd), Nintendo have some good options to fix it:

• Reduce the price of the current SKU and/or SKU with a game bundle.
  • Release an updated "Switch" with an improved battery life and/or updated tech in HH mode.
  • Release an undockable portable limited to HH-mode with no detachable Joy-cons. It will be like the 2DS; Alot cheaper to make, but limited to HH-mode.
  • Release a "Switch Pro" with a 2nd dock mode that matches/surpasses the PS4 / XB1 power. (Switch 2: 2nd gear? Hmm. )
  • Any combination of what was listed and other possibilities.

Nintendo has a lot of flexibility with how they can upgrade their form factors in the future. A stand-alone SKU would be counterproductive.

The wait for new Animal Crossing will be long and arduous.

Actually, my pure baseless speculation is that AC is probably already in development. Amiibo Festival for as much as it was panned, had full HD textures for every single villager; interiors for houses/items and lots of other things that the 3DS game didn't have. (pretty sure there's still stuff New Leaf/HHD doesn't have too)

It shouldn't be too hard if they have lots of these assets available. To me, since the launch of that little Plaza thing, the AC teams have been working on HD Animal crossing for a while. Imagine basically that Amiibo Festival was just a tech demo.

I feel like Picross is going to be a bit of a hassle on the Switch. I don't know how well styluses for capacitive touchscreens work, but playing Picross with your finger is awful.

redcrayon

How do people think Etrian Odyssey could work on the Switch, is the lack of precision from no stylus an issue? Drawing the map with touch could be done with a zoom-in command maybe?

horkrux

I have this strong feeling that Nintendo is going to continue to develop games like Pokemon mainly for 3DS and offer only slightly upgraded versions for Switch. I don't see them taking the risk with some of their biggest handheld franchises. Unless Switch will totally take off.
Same goes for games like Monster Hunter.

I was disappointed when Fire Emblem was revealed to be the Warriors game and not a legit one. I'd totally be in for HD Fire Emblem

Voror

For a second I thought this was about whether we'd eventually see an upgraded version of the system since it could be a toss up as their consoles to my knowledge generally stuck to one version while the handhelds have had several iterations within a generation.

For games I could see some getting more detailed and being able to run better, but it'd probably depend on the franchise ultimately. Like Fire Emblem I could see largely staying the same but perhaps the character models during battle scenes will look better.

NotLiquid

I was disappointed when Fire Emblem was revealed to be the Warriors game and not a legit one. I'd totally be in for HD Fire Emblem

We'll probably get one eventually. Fire Emblem Fate just came out last year, a year and a half if ago if we're talking Japan. There's most likely one in development, it just isn't ready to be shown yet.

Top Bottom