• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: The 50 Best FPS Ever Made

mcrommert

Banned
This makes me want to make my own list...it will be awesome

Top 5

1- Halo CE
2 - Counter Strike
3 - Modern Warfare
4 - Half Life
5 - Half Life 2

DOOM is only on top for nostalgia purposes. It doesn't hold its weight any more. Yes it was important in the history, but it is not the greatest FPS ever made. Much like the Wright Bros airplane is not the greatest airplane ever made.

No. Just...no. The music is fantastic, the graphics clear, the level design immaculate. I could go into detail about how Doom is as good now as it ever was, but it seems it would fall on deaf ears.

Is it a bad list? Don't really care, not a big list guy. I couldn't care less if Half Life was ranked higher than Half Life 2, or where Halo ranks. But Doom is still king to this day, and deserves that #1 spot.

The shooting itself was enjoyable.

EVERY.SINGLE.OTHER.THING in that game was crap.

My thought as well. Sorta.

Environments were really great, fire mechanic was awesome. Generally, it was immersive. Still.. something about it really sucked. It wasn't the frequent breaking of guns or having to fix the goddamn car every ten minutes.

Checkpoints and missions. Those were the game killers. Checkpoints respawned enemies way to fast and the missions were shit because you had to typically drive all the way to the other side of the map every goddamn time.

It's actually my least favorite Far Cry.

Garibaldi

The list was obviously made based on the time it was released. Obviously a lot of these games don't hold up as well today. DOOM is by far the most influential shooter of all time, in fact I don't even think the term FPS existed, it was 'doom clone' back then.

I just skimmed the blurb of the article but I didn't notice anything to indicate anything about considering each title in the vacuum of it's original release. I mean yeah Doom was hugely influential but its surely not the greatest ever produced. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's no Half-life.

It is still the best and the industry has indeed failed to outdo it.

I suppose that entirely depends on how you perceive the genre's progress. Visually it's obviously been surpassed. Level design wise I believe Thief beats it. Gunplay wise Crysis beats it for my money. Half-life and Fear destroy it AI wise. MP it has to have been bettered (I'm not one for multiplayer shooters). Story wise...well it doesn't have a story really so just about everything beats it.

Nah for me it's not number 1. Top 20 for sure, but not number 1.

meppi

I can certainly live with Half-Life 1 being nr.2 behind Doom.
Played the MP for years on end and remains one of my favourite online MP memories.

Also glad to see Battlefield 3 and 4 are nowhere near that list!

Aaron D.

No. Just...no. The music is fantastic, the graphics clear, the level design immaculate. I could go into detail about how Doom is as good now as it ever was, but it seems it would fall on deaf ears.

Is it a bad list? Don't really care, not a big list guy. I couldn't care less if Half Life was ranked higher than Half Life 2, or where Halo ranks. But Doom is still king to this day, and deserves that #1 spot.

Yup.

Doom 1 & 2 are eminently playable in modern times just like vintage arcade classics like Ms. Pac-Man or Galaga.

Some things are just timeless.

Tagyhag

Checkpoints and missions. Those were the game killers. Checkpoints respawned enemies way to fast and the missions were shit because you had to typically drive all the way to the other side of the map every goddamn time.

It's actually my least favorite Far Cry.

Dylan's mod confirms your theory.

You can fix the guns and the vehicles, but you can't fix a game that's fundamentally broken.

Am I the only one who thinks Doom doesn't hold up? I mean it was good at the time, but I'm not seeing how someone can think it's the top FPS ever made.

I agree with you. I have no nostalgic attachment to the series and don't think it has aged especially well. The core gameplay is of course still very solid, but then I never found it all that amazing in the first place. In particular I didn't like the level design and I thought Dark Forces for instance was a similar game with much better level design and some much needed context.

flkraven

very strange list. Alien Isolation is the 20th best FPS ever made for PC? Bioshock 2 on the list, yet not mention of Bioshock 1 or Infinite? Doom at 1 so clearly somewhat based in how influential the games are, yet no mention of Duke Nukem 3D? weird.

mcrommert

Banned
I agree with you. I have no nostalgic attachment to the series and don't think it has aged especially well. The core gameplay is of course still very solid, but then I never found it all that amazing in the first place. In particular I didn't like the level design and I thought Dark Forces for instance was a similar game with much better level design and some much needed context.

100%

Dark forces was later but it was such a better designed game with wonderful story telling that in many ways has never been matched in future star wars shooters

This list feels like they started playing shooters end of last gen

Daffy Duck

Doom is in no way the best fps (PC or otherwise) ever made. Don't get me wrong it's a quality shooter but if it's still the greatest of the genre after all these years the industry has failed.

The industry has failed.

I've yet to play Wolf, but I'd be surprised if it tops the highs from Doom.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I hate these lists because it never feels like they go for the "best" and certain old and very influential games are only there because they're grandfathered in due to their influence.

For example there is no reason for DOOM1 to be at the top when DOOM2 is better in literally every single way that matters.

DOOM2 itself is definitely not the best FPS ever either, I think half life 1 is more deserving of that spot.

manfestival

While I can agree with somethings

zenoclash at 48? That game was bollocks
CSGO at 8? Are you keeding me?
COD2 over COD1? It's like they didn't play COD1!
Mirrors edge and Alien isolation? I am done... at a loss for words right now

mcrommert

Banned
I am blown away at everyone celebrating doom at number one. Its as if all advancement on shooters stopped after one of the first ones. We owe a lot to that game and its influence on the industry...but it isn't even in the top 50 best shooters

Accoun

The industry has failed.

I've yet to play Wolf, but I'd be surprised if it tops the highs from Doom.

For me not really, from what I played. Although I haven't played that much. And I'd say Doom still is highly payable today and because of my age I haven't played it back in the day - I only got around to it in 2005 or so.

That it's excluding mods. Of course there are Wolf3d mods, but I never played any of them.

Also, Quake 1 should be right after Doom... at least.

Ragnarok

You can't even aim up or down in Doom. It auto aims for you. Sorry, a game like that can not be the best FPS of all time.

Horrible logic. You can't jump in Zelda, is it not able to be considered the best third person adventure game? The entire game was designed around its limitations and it more than makes up for it with expert level design and fantastic monster encounters.

Playing DOOM on Ultraviolence is still one of the most satisfying shooting experiences the genre has to offer.

Top Bottom