• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

lawnchair

Banned
To be fair, Steam says I've run 684 hours. I was born in the Darkest Dungeon, molded by it. I didn't see the Hamlet until I was already a man.

There literally isn't a mechanic I haven't studied and mastered.

Have any questions or subtle nuance you need to figure out? Ask away.

684 huh. wow. i'm ashamed to say that i'm at around 140 and still haven't finished the game. but it's been so long, i've got to finish. no other option. must press on..

anyway, here's a kind of random question for you, knower of all things darkest dungeon. what items have you found to be useless? do you think there's a time/place for every item and ability in the game or are some things "vestigial" as our ancestor would say? for example, have you ever effectively used the man at arms in position 4 with that item that buffs him in that spot? or the vestal in position 2 with the item that buffs her there (making her main healing spell unusable in the bargain)? flipside to that, what items have you gravitated to the most, especially later in the game? just curious.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
684 huh. wow. i'm ashamed to say that i'm at around 140 and still haven't finished the game. but it's been so long, i've got to finish. no other option. must press on..

anyway, here's a kind of random question for you, knower of all things darkest dungeon. what items have you found to be useless? do you think there's a time/place for every item and ability in the game or are some things "vestigial" as our ancestor would say? for example, have you ever effectively used the man at arms in position 4 with that item that buffs him in that spot? or the vestal in position 2 with the item that buffs her there (making her main healing spell unusable in the bargain)? flipside to that, what items have you gravitated to the most, especially later in the game? just curious.

I have never run a 4th row MAA, but I can see it working well in 2 boss fights: Prophet and Vvulf, where he's literally guarding every turn anyway. Otherwise nah, he's too useful tanking damage up front, stunning, and hitting all the way back to enemy row 3.

I run a 2nd row Vestal. She's surprisingly effective up there. Dare I say... underrated?

Give her a Profane Scroll and a Sun Ring, and she does work. Mace Bash hits for 10-21 when there's no PROT, but what people really sleep on is her debuffs. Hand of Light -30% DMG, -10 ACC. That's really strong, and can completely take a dangerous enemy out of the fight. The other one is -30 DODGE, and gives you a free +10 Torch.

I just ran Occ/GR/Ves/Hellion through a long champion Ruins (Extermination), to refresh myself on 2nd row Vestal, and came out with zero stress.

The big problem with second row vestal for me is the opportunity cost... there's loads of heavy damage dealers who work well in that second row slot, and by putting her there, you're sacrificing her outrageous heals. Her debuffs are good, though.

lawnchair

Banned
did the latest patch change something with the sort function? i can't get my lower level characters grouped together at the bottom of the list anymore..

K.Jack

Oh boy....

virago_white.gif

New Weald champion coming in the Radiant update.

did the latest patch change something with the sort function? i can't get my lower level characters grouped together at the bottom of the list anymore..

Can't say, I never use sort.

K.Jack

Found the new Ruin champion on their website:

skeleton_bearer.combat.gif~original

Name is the Bone Bearer. I'm guessing he's going to support/buff other skeletons.

Yeah the art is diamond tier.

yamo

After hundreds of hours of dungeon crawling, I've decided the best overall party is Occ/Highwayman/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter.

The BH being able to use his strongest attacks, even when shuffled to the 3rd position, is overpowered.

Would you mind sharing what skills you use on each characters when running that party?

K.Jack

Would you mind sharing what skills you use on each characters when running that party?

Occ - Abyssal Artillery, Weakening Curse, Wyrd Reconstruction, Vulnerability Hex
HWM - Wicked Slice, Duelist's Advance, Point Blank Shot, Open Vein
GR - Pick, Lunge, Thrown Dagger, Toxin
BH - Collect Bounty, Finish Him, Uppercut, Flashbang

Occ - Abyssal Artillery, Weakening Curse, Wyrd Reconstruction, Vulnerability Hex

Point Blank pushes the Highwayman a spot back, though.

lawnchair

Banned

dear sensei, thank you as always for imparting your wisdom. just wondering, if you're running occultist do you equip healing boosters on him and/or the other party members? i've always leaned towards the vestal for healing on account of her + healing boosters you can get big guaranteed heals, whereas the occultist is all over the place ..

i still haven't beaten this, slowed down quite a bit recently. still have to finish the 3rd and 4th darkest dungeon runs. i'll probably finish eventually just based on how much time i've spent on this damned thing..

K.Jack

Occ always has Junia's Head.

In the Darkest Dungeon, I would always bring a Vestal loaded with Junia's Head and the uh... +25% healing book. The -3 SPD of the Sacred Scroll isn't worth the extra 8% to me. The DD enemies are too fast, and hit too hard to have RNGesus forsake your Occulist, and he starts spamming 0-5 heals.

The only DD I feel safe taking an Occ is Belly of the Beast. I had this Beast Slayer quirked Occulist, he cleaned up in there.

Outside of the DD I take the Occulist every time.

yamo

Thanks for sharing. :3
How do you manage stress damage with a group like this?

K.Jack

Thanks for sharing. :3
How do you manage stress damage with a group like this?

By killing and stunning the enemies before they can do the same to us.

First priority is always to murder the enemies' back row stress dealers.

1st round ranking starts Occ, HWM. GR, BH. First three moves of round one are Thrown Dagger and Duelist on the same back row stress dealer, Abyssal Artillery, then the BH either does Finish Him on the 3rd row enemy, or he does Uppercut on the most dangerous of the two from row enemies.

2nd round ranking starts Occ, GR, HWM, BH. Actions start with Lunge, another Deulist, which puts the BH in row 3. This round, assuming no one is heavily injured, the Occ marks a target. The BH now either attacks what was marked, or does a Flashbang.

3rd round ranking starts Occ, BH, GR, HWM. BH and GR take advantage of the mark damage, HWM relies on Wicked Slice or Open Vein, only use PBS if a high value target exists in rank 1. Occ starts healing.

4th round you use Flashbang to stall, if necessary, while the Occ continues healing.

Decimates enemy teams, without fail. All you need to do is give the GR a trinket that ensures she acts first.

While I'm sharing strong parties, I also consider to be a tier 1 party

Occ, GR, BH, Hell
Occ, BH, Hound, Hell
Occ, PD, BH, Hell

Notice that my parties always focus on decimating the rear ranks within 1.5 rounds.

I was having trouble with this game, but then I started using jester, grave robber and vestal, and suddenly things got a LOT easier. Really into it so far...

Brakke

Banned
Radiant mode dropped.

I put like ten hours into the game over the holiday but then heard about this patch and shelved it. Started back up today, dang this game is so good.

K.Jack

Currently only out on PC.

Full Patch Notes:

Build #17314 - RADIANT UPDATE

RADIANT MODE:
Never Again changed: heroes are now allowed to return to the Darkest Dungeon. However, they will undergo significant stress upon doing so, and are more likely to become afflicted instead of virtuous when in the Darkest Dungeon.
More Power Leveling flexibility: Heroes of up to Level 4 may enter Novice dungeons. Any hero may enter a Veteran or Champion dungeon.
Stage Coach can now be upgraded to allow the appearance of new recruits starting at up to Level 4. Increased chance of upgraded recruits appearing.
Reduced cost of Upgraded Recruits upgrades.
Accelerated hero XP progression
Hero upgrade and treatment cost scaling by level reduced
Random Hunger Checks do not occur in Radiant Mode
Food Provision cost increased and stack sized decreased to compensate
Returned provisions now give slightly more money back
Tweaks to Stagecoach:
Added another upgrade tier to Experienced Recruits (Lvl 4 Characters will now appear)
Changed Experienced Recruit requirements. (Lvl 1 now only requires Lvl 1 Blacksmith and Guild)
New Stage Coach population option to use a Deck based system. (This can be used on all modes). New Stagecoach generation method that gives a more even long-term distribution and also favors healers more, since they are the backbone of most parties. This can be toggled off in the Options menu if you wish to still ride the bittersweet wave of total RNG.
Higher Light conditions confer slightly more to party DEF bonuses.
Accelerated Region Progression
Town Events trigger more frequently to compensate for shorter playtime

STYGIAN MODE:
Renamed NG+ to Stygian
Stygian can now be selected when starting a new campaign, instead of requiring completion of Darkest mode first.
More stress, higher darkness penalties, more light loss per step, higher trap diff, enemy HP bump from 15% (prev) to 20%, slightly higher monster crits...overall slightly more deadly[/b]
Time limit reduced to 86 weeks and hero death limit dropped to 12
You can now continue playing after the time limit on your Stygian mode game after successfully completing the game

ALL MODES:
Added 4 new monsters (Bone Bearer, Hateful Virago, Swine Skiver, and Squiffy Ghast) that appear in Champion level Dungeons - BLAME DANA
Caw! Caw! Added New Trinket Recovery Quest
When a party wipe occurs, trinkets are no longer lost! There is a way to recover them. Exactly what that way is, we leave for you to discover...
Trinkets are no longer recoverable from fallen characters after retreating.
Two new Town Events
Fix for users reporting increased cpu usage
ECONOMY Adjustments to Radiant and Darkest modes:
Economy was too gold starved across the board, including mid and late game.
Slightly reduced cost of Hero Treatment.
Reduced hero weapon and armour upgrade costs.
Reduced cost of upgrading hero skills final two levels
Increased gold drops and gold stacking from 1,500 to 1,750
(ALL MODES) Rebalanced gem drops and changed gem values. Net result is much higher values of gems dropping as difficulty of missions progress.
Gems now all stack to 5 instead of 4
Adjusted Antiquarian values to be in line with Economy changes to ensure she's still profitable.
Tavern and Abbey complete side-effects rebalance and some new side effects added. Goal is to make neither Tavern or Abbey preferable over another, and also add more interest.
Fixed Provision Discount Town Event description so all languages should show up correctly.
Quests that will trigger a Town Event: links are now clearly shown
The Cove Gather mission now triggers ”Lost and Found" Town Event instead of ”Supply Run" Town Event upon successful completion.
Hold SHIFT when purchasing Provisions to purchase a full stack.
Adjustments to chances of getting quirks at quest end. Slightly increased chances in both cases for interest.
New quirk: ”skilled gambler". Bad Gambler and Skilled Gambler functionality improved.
Stagecoach Upgraded Recruits: adjusted number of pos and neg quirks they start with to ensure they are still valuable. Reduced cost of the Upgraded Recruits upgrades.
Secret Rooms are no longer guaranteed in every dungeon.
Quest Trinket rewards: better logic for supplying trinket rewards in cases where the designated trinkets aren't available.
Heirloom Chest now more profitable after using key
Added new treasure: "Jute Tapestry" (functions as a very rare gem worth 5,000 gold)
Added ”Party" selection type to camp skills to help make the skills more clear.
Tweaked Roster sort so that Characters in Party are arranged in their party formation.
Added Skill Equip warning when trying to embark without all skills equipped
Added Food Embark warning when trying to embark without much food
Skills will now auto-equip when purchased and have room. (This will be most noticed with purchasing your 4th camping skill.)
After several angry phone calls from Vvulf, he is now properly tagged as a boss.
(Radiant and Darkest modes) Vvulf quest and Vvulf himself not quite as tough, and also won't appear before week 40 minimum.
Tweaked Trinket Embark Warning to be % based. You are now warned on L3 and L5 dungeons when you have less than half equipped.
Adjusted cooldowns on town events up a bit, to reduce repetition
DARKEST and STYGIAN modes: Final battle tuned up some to give a bit more challenge. May require more.
Adjusted Nomad Wagon stock rarity (Rare trinkets are now more rare)
Added Town Event Description in the reward section for related Quests.
Fix for handling multiple monitors
Added 4k window resolutions to options.
Added Subtitle Location Option: Top or Bottom
Added border FX for Ancestral Trinkets and Boss Trophies
Added FX to Dungeon Region experience bars on increase
Added in new art for all missing Curio states. WELCOME ABOARD, TRUDI!
Added Date/Time to save slots
Added more save slots
Various UI tweaks
Exposed significantly more settings for future modding.
...and more!

K.Jack

Jesus Christ. The Warrens are a whole different animal now lmao.

The Swine Shiver has to be Top 3 most dangerous common mob enemy in the game.

Take him out first, no matter what he's grouped with, even ignore a Madman.

1upsuper

I picked this up when it came out on Vita but I just could not deal with those controls, so I just picked it up on sale on Steam. Looking forward to finally playing this game. I think it's totally up my alley.

Varth

I like most of the changelog (powerleveling YAY), but I'm also VERY afraid of so many changes. NG+ mostly.

Currently missing only the last bosses of 2 of the stages before I unlock DD. Very afraid to go forward.

K.Jack

These new enemies are some motherfuckers. The one in the Cove is merely annoying, but holy fuck the rest can ruin your runs.

So from reading about this Radiant update it sounds like it's intended to create a 'shorter' mode that removes a bunch of grinding that was otherwise present. How grindy are we talking about here, I saw someone say the original game was intended to be 80+(!) hours and that this is about half as short? It seems really cool but I don't have the time for 40+ hours of grinding.

Neoweee

So from reading about this Radiant update it sounds like it's intended to create a 'shorter' mode that removes a bunch of grinding that was otherwise present. How grindy are we talking about here, I saw someone say the original game was intended to be 80+(!) hours and that this is about half as short? It seems really cool but I don't have the time for 40+ hours of grinding.

And that was why I grew to hate Darkest Dungeon. You see like 95% of the game content in the first 25 hours, then have this horrific grind to actually beat the final dungeon.

RADIANT mode is just some of the changes. Even the default Darkest difficulty got a shitload of obviously needed changes that should lop 10-15 hours off of the game.

jay

Maybe I will start a new game in the new less repetitive mode. I am one of the people who gave up. Keeping the difficulty where it is more or less but shortening the grind is very appealing.

K.Jack

How do I increase my inventory stack size? :eek:
Hate not being able to bring all the loot back home.

Go into the Darkest Dungeon folder, open the inventory folder, then open inventory.darkest with Notepad. Do as though wilt.

At this point, I play the game for challenging dungeon runs, not inventory management or grinding town upgrades.

CaptNink

I had my first party-wipe on the weekend vs. the Brigand 8 Pounder. Alas, it was very sad to say good-bye to heroes "Bitch Pudding", "Cunny Runt", "Bearded Clem", and "Shart". :D

K.Jack

I had my first party-wipe on the weekend vs. the Brigand 8 Pounder. Alas, it was very sad to say good-bye to heroes "Bitch Pudding", "Cunny Runt", "Bearded Clem", and "Shart". :D

What was your party composition?

Ahh I see, I might try it out if I get to frustrated/bored with the game. Thanks for sharing anyway :3

It's useful, even if only to make camping supplies and quest items stack.

Sölf

Man, I need to give this game another go. I played it around ~10 hours maybe in early access, but never got that far (I think I only beat one boss). But after the game finally released, I barely touched it.

The changelog that was posted above, do you guys have a release date for that? Or was it already released?

Brakke

Banned
How do I increase my inventory stack size? :eek:
Hate not being able to bring all the loot back home.

You can do a little of this legit by bringing an Antiquarian. She lets your gold stacks hold like 50% more, so you might need fewer slots for them. Of course, she also creates a chance of finding certain other sellable loot. But even if she's not absolutely freeing up slots, she is increasing the value of those slots.

K.Jack

It was Houndmaster> Occultist> Leper> Hellion

I need some tips, sensei!

This is 100% going to get long winded, but victory is in the details.

Respect the Brigand as a battle of attrition. You will be doing very little damage to the cannon, spread over many rounds. Even after killing the Matchman, one has to strike the right balance, of attacking the cannon, while not letting the Brigands whittle you down.

Priority #1, before anything else, is to have 2 characters with the potential to one shot the Matchman. There can be no turn, under any circumstances, where the Match guy doesn't die. One BOOM is GG territory

Priority # 2 is a crowd control character, whose sole job is to either stun/attack a Brigand Cutthroat or Fusilier, or hit the Pounder.

This is my go to, Pounder is 100% going to get pounded, squad. In order from back to front:

GR - Thrown Dagger, Lunge, Pick, Toxin
Occ - Stab, Abyssal, Wyrd, Hex
BH - Collect, Uppercut, Finish, Flashbang
HL - Hack, Swan, Bleeds, Adrenaline

Notice how everyone can at least hit row 3. That is a common theme in all of my parties.

It has to be this order. GR is in the back, because all she should be doing is throwing daggers at the MM, and this allows the Occ to Stab back to row 3, as well as heal and use Abyssal.

You juice up the Hellion and Grave Robber with as much +DMG through trinkets and quirks as you can manage, bonus if you can get them each a Sun Ring for the +ACC, ensuring they never miss. Berzerker Charm on the Hellion would be nice, for the speed boost. Their sole job is in killing the a-hole working the cannon. If one doesn't kill him, the other does.

Speed wise, you'll usually see something like GR -> Occ -> BH -> HL, RNGesus dependent.

The enemy formation always starts round 1 as 1st Cuttthroat, 2nd Pounder, 3rd MM, 4th Fusilier

If GR is first, she throws a dagger at the MM.
If Occ goes first, he uses Stabs the MM
If Hellion is first, she Bleeds the MM
If BH is first, he does Finish Him on the MM

So the MM should be dead within 2 hits, every round. This allows you to have one of the remaining attack a brigand, and one attack the Pounder.

General rounds after the first, should go like this:

If GR is first, she throws a dagger at the MM.
If Occ goes first, he uses Stabs the MM, or Abyssals him, depending on in what row the MM resides. If someone desperately needs a heal, prioritize that
If Hellion is first, she Iron Swan or Bleeds the MM, depending on in what row the MM resides.
If BH is first, he does Finish Him on the MM, if he's in the 3rd row. Otherwise, he attacks a front row Cutthroat. If one doesn't exist, hit the cannon.

Whoever goes second, attacks the MM, if he lives. Again, we want the MM dead after 2 attacks.

If only a Fusiller remains, you can weigh the odds of having both remaining characters attack the Pounder.

Just don't get greedy, attacking the Pounder, when a Cutthroat still lives. Theey will eventually wear your party dwn, if left unattended. You'll kill him in 2 rounds, going by my rhythm.

Only one enemy spawns each round, along side the MM, so when you can kill eventually the Cutthroat and the Fusiller, there is no guarantee a Cutthroat will spawn.

Sölf;230328181 said:
Man, I need to give this game another go. I played it around ~10 hours maybe in early access, but never got that far (I think I only beat one boss). But after the game finally released, I barely touched it.

The changelog that was posted above, do you guys have a release date for that? Or was it already released?

It's live already.

CaptNink

Wow! Now that's a reply! And very much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to post that. I'm going to take your advice and give it a go.

r1chard

Just started getting into this game. Had two party wipes with the Fulminating Prophet before devising a strategy and beating him (just). Just rage quit after my third party wipe of 5/6 level characters because of Vvulf. Mostly that went south because I had no idea what supplies to take, and I took far too few torches and thus the battle with Vvulf was in darkness :-( This game really does swing between awesome and terrible sometimes.

I'll come back to it once I have the stamina to level a whole new bunch of characters up again :)

Top Bottom