• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy is the better Final Fantasy 2016 release

Cassovia

WoFF is very charming experience and in my opinion everyone who love JRPG (even more fans of FF brand) should give it a chance and buy it.

Glass Rebel

Probably one of the ugliest artstyles I have ever seen in a Final Fantasy game barring the iOS/Android games. I tried the demo and the battle system was terribly unengaging too. At least that's something FFXV has going for itself. How is it different in the full game?

Zafir

I feel like overall it's kind of an higher quality game in terms of the fact it actually finished and polished what it set out to do.

Where as while XV had a much larger scope and scale, it kind of faltered on fully realising it.

Not sure which I enjoyed more, mind you, I think both are on the it was pretty fun but not great category.

kswiston

Music is worse. New composer. Everything else is arguably as good if not better. Battle system iterates and improves. Story gets a bit more creative, and sooner. The repeating mechanic is done much more deftly.

I skipped it at release, but maybe I will try to track down a copy if the price is right ($25-30).

Laws00

it has a lot of kiddy charm to it with holding a lot of interesting
darker
stuff
once you get the first ending

Toth

No, not even close. And WoFF is a fantastic game. FF XIV is far more of a traditional FF. WoFF requires you to gel with the monster battling system. The game also relies heavily on nostalgia for its storyline, which is distracting considering how the original characters and the overarching storyline are very good.

How could you just get on the internet and tell lies like that. Why?

Well, it is fun, but I enjoyed FFXV more in every way. I found the world, characters, music and mechanics far more entertaining in XV.

Glad you like WoFF so much though. I'm happy we have both tbh.

That's the most important part of it, imo.

Despite all the doom-and-gloom you hear from the FF fanbase lately, the series is in a pretty strong position with a lot of content out there to consume.

XV
WoFF
IX HD
XIV is going strong and Stormblood is coming soon
X/X-2 HD Remaster is pretty recent, especially on PC
XII HD around the corner
FFRK and Brave Exvius have a pretty good following

IronLich

Beyond some ridiculously bad mini-games, and some incredibly long and repetitive end game dungeons, this game is the FF to be measured by for all future FF titles.

Battle system, music, characters... it's all fan service turned up to 11. And it actually looks and feels like a Final Fantasy of old.

mXyupD1.gif

Credits sequence was the most adorable thing of all things though.

If only they had added Cecil...

Despite all the doom-and-gloom you hear from the FF fanbase lately, the series is in a pretty strong position with a lot of content out there to consume.

XV
WoFF
IX HD
XII HD around the corner

Bolded IX HD

Like what??? What the actual? Please tell me this is a console thing I've somehow missed

XV
WoFF
IX HD
XII HD around the corner

It'd be awesome if the new Dissidia made it to consoles eventually, but at the rate they're announcing characters, it'll probably be awhile.

mp1990

Banned
This is the main reason why I didn't pick it up. I didn't even pick up Moon because I still have a ton of stuff left to do in Yokai Watch 2.

this is the thing, the game is very representative of the franchise itself. it delivers on presentation, pacing, even on story (it's your usual JRPG fic with a twist that, even if expected, added a lot to the game), but lacks in depth, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but don't go into it expecting it to be Pokémon

It really depends on why he/she didn't like the demo though. If it's because they found the gameplay lacking, sure, but if they didn't like the art-style, that won't change in the full game.

if they dislike the artstyle i can't do anything for their poor damned souls

-NeoTB1-

Agreed. I've been saying this to my friends for a while now. I'm struggling to even finish FFXV, whereas I'm already looking forward to a second playthrough of WoFF once my backlog clears up.

LordKasual

Banned
WoFF was a solid 7/10 while XV was 8/10.

One thing WoFF did was make a solid case why the series should not return to ATB. The battle system was just a snooze fest. It didn't help that while the OST was great, the two battle themes and the victory fanfare were all very weak imo. And that's a problem when you listen to those 90% of the time.

Yeah I can agree. This is why I can't stand games that attempt to be retro just for the sake of it. It's like they ignored every innovation on the ATB system just so that it can feel like an older turn based game. But in doing so it just makes a game that's decidedly worse than what it's trying to copy.

FF8-9's slower pace was remedied by the fact that the combat visuals and animations at the time were mindblowingly good. Every action you did had a neat animation play, or a pretty VFX take over the screen. It got slower for a reason. And WoFF moves in the opposite direction of the older FF games while glorifying every bad thing about the series that it tried to move away from when it was actually doing it.

Just feels like lazy pandering, really. Which is a shame because the game is beautiful. But it clearly looks like its design started at "retro pander" and didn't go much further.

What would you say the odds are for World to come to Switch, guys? I've been interested for a while but seriously want a Switch

Counting Persona 5 is 2017 for most of us

WoFF was the best JRPG launched in 2016... it quality is ahead FFXV or Digimon.

That was expected for some from the previews early this year.

Pokemon sun and Moon was better imo and I would give the edge to Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Bravely Second personally but World of FF is much better than FF XV.

Hektor

Yeah I can agree. This is why I can't stand games that attempt to be retro just for the sake of it. It's like they ignored every innovation on the ATB system just so that it can feel like an older turn based game. But in doing so it just makes a game that's decidedly worse than what it's trying to copy.

You're blatantly ignoring the stacking system. And WoFF is everything but slow

th4tguy

Just ordered the vita version from amazon $20. Excited to finally play this.what should I know to give me a good start to this adventure?

ZeroX03

Banned
VIII and IX for console will come eventually. Like I say in every thread, SE likes to stagger releases for whatever reason. Look at FFX HD. I'd say XV PC will happen in a year or so too.

black070

I should add, I couldn't even finish the demo due to how boring it was, and held off on the game because of it. I decided to give it a chance when it was on sale digitally, and my feelings on the game took a complete 180.

AGoodODST

Sorry OP but it isn't at all. I mean it's okay but its repetitive as fuck and the battle system is broken.

The story isn't worth mentioning and while Lann and Reyn are okay, no other characters receive any sort of development. The FF characters are in it for about five seconds each.

The battle system is broken by the ridiculously easy didficulty setting. There is no reason to ever use any other ability other than attack. The monster catching Is okay but you won't need any of the abilities so it doesn't really matter. Oh and you have to wait for meter to fill up for the next turn. Pointless and adds nothing. Same could be achieved with the way FFX does it.

The dungeons that make up 90% of the out of battle gameplay are boring beyond belief and never change it up throughout the entire game. Once you have played the first one you have essentially played them all. The other 10% is the tiny towns you will explore that contain nothing in them, not even shops.

Oh and the game does that Bloodborne bullshit of needing to warp back to a hub just to warp somewhere else.

It's one of those games I had a good time with at first but the more I played the more it's flaws became apparent.

XV
WoFF
IX HD
XII HD around the corner
FF always had strong spin-offs ( see FFT, Chocobos Dungeon, FFCC, Secret of Mana, Bahamut Lagoon etc) and decent ports, remakes (FF on GBA and DS, FF IV PSP). Also you didnt even list the best FF Spinoff this year Bravely second

The mainline series is dwindling and XV is just a broken game overall.

It had it's moments but the combat was balls. Way to slow and easy, there was zero challenge (during the main story).

And there was not enough Lightning!

I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy the gameplay of WoFF. I made it through 25 hours before quitting (Underwater Tonberry boss). 98% of random battles were just auto attack. And any battle which required some thought was usually just 'use strongest abilities, then defend and cure until AP came back'. The stacking mechanic added little to no extra depth to most battles. Enemies stacked? Use abilities that topple stack. Your stack in danger of toppling? Use one of the 80,000 stabilizer items scattered in worthless treasure chests. It was all just so mindless that I just couldn't finish it.

I will say the story in WoFF is so much better than FFXV, but that's probably because WoFF actually tells its story whereas FFXV forgets it exists.

Skulldead

It was good, but the game was not enough challenging to keep my interest until the end. This main problem generate other problem at the same time..

While I really loved WoFF, I have to disagree with this. Anyway I'm really happy that I could play these 2 games, I will jump back to WoFF once Sora is there!

Cornbread78

I just finished the game last night and I have to agree 100%! (I even already changed my GOTY vote yesterday to support this notion.

The game is a blast to play and have a great tone with lots of laughs and fun.

That "fanservice" though....
see below

The FF fan service in this game was outstanding as it references the other stories in games along the way. They even added a ship tease in there of two of the most notorious/famous FF characters; which was hilarious and very very fun.

Don't get me started on the closing credits.

Without spoilers, it is one of the most creative and down right awesome closing credits I've ever seen..

Bravo SE, this was a gem.

fcXoBn8.jpg

This was the look of satisfaction on my face when I completed the game..

Top Bottom