• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Can anyone post SkyrimVR cons and pros from Gameinformer review?
Their site is blocked in my country.

Pros: Guy reviewed the game at least
Cons: Reviewer gets sick playing any VR game.

lol,
In reality here you go:

Concept:
Adapt the engrossing world of Skyrim into a virtual reality experience

Graphics:
Easily the worst Skyrim has ever looked. Seeing the world from a virtual reality perspective is neat, but it is clear that its visuals have been hobbled to make it work

Sound:
The music is still great, and the voice acting gets the job done, but there are a surprising number of audio hiccups and glitches that are impossible to ignore

Playability:
The Move controls are inconsistent and also break some of the game balancing. Using a controller isn’t much better, but your accuracy with bows and magic will be improved since you can use your head to aim

Entertainment:
I’m glad Skyrim VR exists. I like seeing developers like Bethesda experiment with its fully featured triple-A games in VR, but Skyrim was not a game made for the platform and it shows

Rubik8

All the cons mentioned about Skyrim VR are totally spot-on. But the immersion and wonder of being inside the world sort of erases all of the negatives. I got used to the Move controllers after my initial attempt that didn't go well. It really adds to the experience during combat and will be my preferred way to play.

I spent 5 hours inside the game last night. I pulled off my headset and it was 4 am. WTF?
I just wandered around and did stuff; it was fantastic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just ordered my Skyrim VR bundle from Amazon - the $350 price tag for everything I need (besides the PS4 Pro I already have, obviously) was too good to pass up. I'm super-interested in Skyrim but I'm also really excited to try Resident Evil 7 (I've held off playing it for the gold edition / VR experience) and Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

I'm also kinda interested in the Final Fantasy 15 VR fishing game. I probably spent 5-6 hours fishing in FF15 and I expect it's more of the same, but none the less it seems like something I would be interested in.

There are a few other short games / experiences I'm interested in but I think I've got enough to start with to justify the purchase. I've never been able to experience "modern" VR so I hope it doesn't make me throw up like some people experience.

Morbid

Banned
Just ordered my Skyrim VR bundle from Amazon - the $350 price tag for everything I need (besides the PS4 Pro I already have, obviously) was too good to pass up. I'm super-interested in Skyrim but I'm also really excited to try Resident Evil 7 (I've held off playing it for the gold edition / VR experience) and Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

I'm also kinda interested in the Final Fantasy 15 VR fishing game. I probably spent 5-6 hours fishing in FF15 and I expect it's more of the same, but none the less it seems like something I would be interested in.

There are a few other short games / experiences I'm interested in but I think I've got enough to start with to justify the purchase. I've never been able to experience "modern" VR so I hope it doesn't make me throw up like some people experience.
It's one of those things you should probably try before you buy. Though I know people who hated it at first but got used to it the more they used it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's one of those things you should probably try before you buy. Though I know people who hated it at first but got used to it the more they used it.

It's too late for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I live in a really isolated area so I'd have to drive several hours to get to the nearest place that has them on demo. Amazon will deliver it to my doorstep on Tuesday. I guess I'll either like it, or I won't.

philm87

It's too late for me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I live in a really isolated area so I'd have to drive several hours to get to the nearest place that has them on demo. Amazon will deliver it to my doorstep on Tuesday. I guess I'll either like it, or I won't.

Yeah same here. Nowhere near me in the UK that I could find to play. If it goes back up after Black Friday you could always sell it for as much as you bought it for anyway. So glad I bought it. Would have paid a lot more for it, feels like I've got a real bargain. Anything with move controllers seems best so far, definitely play London Heist. Saying that though Rigs works pretty well with the pad as you're controlling with sticks in the game anyhow, so still seems immersive.

Not been brave enough to try Resident Evil yet!

Grinchy

Banned
RE7 is a must-play for any owner of the headset, especially if you haven't played the game yet. I kinda feel bad for anyone who played it in 2D because it's a pretty defining VR experience.

lights

At first I thought it was really blurry but the Measure eye to eye distance in settings helped a lot. I did it twice, the second time I actually measured the 70cm from the camera for the photo.

The only game I've tried so far is Rush of Blood which is fun, but the graphics didn't look that great. Since then I've just been watching movies in it.

Morbid

Banned
At first I thought it was really blurry but the Measure eye to eye distance in settings helped a lot. I did it twice, the second time I actually measured the 70cm from the camera for the photo.

The only game I've tried so far is Rush of Blood which is fun, but the graphics didn't look that great. Since then I've just been watching movies in it.

I mean it is blurry, going from the rift to the PSVR was a huge downgrade in IQ, and even the rift is far from perfect.

Really interested in those Pimax headsets but I will wait for reviews.

philm87

I mean it is blurry, going from the rift to the PSVR was a huge downgrade in IQ, and even the rift is far from perfect.

Really interested in those Pimax headsets but I will wait for reviews.

Yeah resolution isn't great, but that's to be expected. London Heist is the best graphic of what I've tried so far. Think PSVR is pretty good graphical standard for the price compared with the Vive and Rift.

philm87

RE7 is a must-play for any owner of the headset, especially if you haven't played the game yet. I kinda feel bad for anyone who played it in 2D because it's a pretty defining VR experience.

Yeah I played a few hours a couple of months ago but decided to leave it for VR.

Matticers

I'm sure it's a stupid common question but is it better to spend the extra money and get the newer version of the headset? The price drops and bundles are making me want to take the leap but I have a 4K HDR tv so I'm guessing the newer headset would save me a lot of hassle? I have a playstation camera collecting dust somewhere but no move controllers.

wondermega

I'm sure it's a stupid common question but is it better to spend the extra money and get the newer version of the headset? The price drops and bundles are making me want to take the leap but I have a 4K HDR tv so I'm guessing the newer headset would save me a lot of hassle? I have a playstation camera collecting dust somewhere but no move controllers.

I'd absolutely pony up the extra dollars for the new gear. I love the PSVR, most comfortable headset I've experienced, but I'm beyond tired of the headphone cabling always tangling around me when I turn. If you've got a 4KTV this pushes it to no-brainer territory.

Grinchy

Banned

Are you able to get the Skyrim bundle (and have interest in it)? It is the full package for you with the new headset and it's on sale for $350. You could always just sell your old camera, I guess. I wish I could be getting in now with the better cables and breakout box for only $350.

philm87

Has anyone seen any updates on Ark Park PSVR?

In late September, Snail Games tweeted that the game would be released in December:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/22/snail-games-is-launching-ark-park-for-psvr-in-december/

I haven't seen anything new on Ark Park since this tweet.

They've still got the December release tweet pinned, so I guess it must still be coming.

Not heard any more about the Stranger Things experience. Was rumoured to be coming last week but never materialised.

I hope a longer Spiderman VR game is created. Really enjoyed the free one that's on the psn store.

From what I've read that bundle has the 1.0 headset( someone please confirm or correct). The Skyrim bundle at $349 has the move controls( missing in the GT bundle) plus the 2.0 headset. And I think most people see the Skyrim bundle as the better value since that seems to be sold out on several sites, while the GT bundle is readily available.

I've noticed that the Skyrim bundle has sold out twice on amazon this week( and other retailers from what I can tell). Good indicator that Sony can move a fair number of these things right now and grow the platform.

Darko

Why dont sony market this as a personal 3d bluray viewer.. i only just found out and its fhe best feaure , they could even offer 3d movies on their store.

I bought a second pspro and psvr and put it in my bedroom and now i can lay in bed And watch 3d movies on a huge screen (just reposition the screen location) And tbh the 3d effect is better than in theaters.

Also i hooked up a splitter to the psvr box so i can also play other consoles, or watch tv on the psvr.

The resolution could be better but its good enough for movies. Games obviously look worse but its a bigger screen so thats the trade off

Unknown?

From what I've read that bundle has the 1.0 headset( someone please confirm or correct). The Skyrim bundle at $349 has the move controls( missing in the GT bundle) plus the 2.0 headset. And I think most people see the Skyrim bundle as the better value since that seems to be sold out on several sites, while the GT bundle is readily available.
This is true. Not a better deal but not a bad deal. 1.0 is perfectly fine and not every game needs move controllers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why dont sony market this as a personal 3d bluray viewer.. i only just found out and its fhe best feaure , they could even offer 3d movies on their store.

I bought a second pspro and psvr and put it in my bedroom and now i can lay in bed And watch 3d movies on a huge screen (just reposition the screen location) And tbh the 3d effect is better than in theaters.

Also i hooked up a splitter to the psvr box so i can also play other consoles, or watch tv on the psvr.

The resolution could be better but its good enough for movies. Games obviously look worse but its a bigger screen so thats the trade off
Resolution?

Wonko_C

I just bought mine and am afraid to do that and cause strain or even break it with the weight of my head. is it safe? I'd love to do that as I have to stay in bed a lot right now (lower back pain can be a bitch sometimes)

philm87

The Rec Room beta is really good fun. Not sure how much depth to it.

Really enjoying I Expect You to Die.

Not sure how annoyed I am with swapping over cables to get HDR as I haven't played any non-VR since I got the headset. Slightly annoying it's not letting surround sound through ARC now, didn't realise it doesn't allow that to pass through.

Grinchy

Banned
Skyrim is so hard to put down. I just kept it running while I was getting things ready and put like 4 hours straight into it. I still wanna keep playing. I'm glad I only played it once forever ago and never did any DLC or anything. Now it's all new content in VR and it plays so well.

Zabby

Would love to jump in this black friday. Wish there was stronger support for it. I’m afraid it could end up like the ps move....

Dragoshi1

Got my Skyrim bundle, been having fun with the demos so far, not ready for Skyrim yet.

Lookin to get Ancient Amulator, Battlezone, and maybe Thumper now.

philm87

Would love to jump in this black friday. Wish there was stronger support for it. I’m afraid it could end up like the ps move....

Think there's plenty to show it won't with the line-up of games coming. I'm sure a lot of developers were holding back to see how successful it would be, but will now be encouraged to start developing for VR.

Robbit_80

Well, the whole point of the new box is to pass HDR and 4k60RGB.

The old one does 4k60@YUV420. I don't have the new one, but if it doesn't do 4K60RGB, it's an abject failure.

You misunderstand. Of course it can passthrough YUV420 +HDR. That's what it's designed for. What I'm asking is does it passthrough RGB444 8-bit when not displaying HDR?

MultiCore

You misunderstand. Of course it can passthrough YUV420 +HDR. That's what it's designed for. What I'm asking is does it passthrough RGB444 8-bit when not displaying HDR?
No, I understood perfectly.

What I said was, it's supposed to pass both HDR and 4K60RGB when not doing HDR.

RGB isn't subsampled. If they're doing subsampling, they do it via YUV.

The old box already passed 1080p60RGB (again no subsampling, as it's Chroma Subsampling, and we're not transmitting a Chroma channel when using RGB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling#4:4:4 ). So the new one just needs to be HDCP 2.2 and 18GBps to send everything we need for 4k60RGB.

I just don't have one to give you confirmation, but it's literally the whole point of the new box's existence.

wondermega

Finally checked out the London Heist portion of VR Worlds. Great stuff! As someone who works in AR and VR I am very excited what they've been able to achieve with virtual humans in that instance, and looking very forward to what's coming next.

I loved the scene when you are sitting in the little bar there, I would like to see more of that sort of thing (people walk in and out of the room to engage with you and move the story along). Kinda wished they could let you sit there to enjoy the ambiance for awhile and ignore the characters even -

tr00per

I just tried the demo disc #2

Some really awesome stuff. Once again reaffirmed my belief that VR demos sell games. I probably would have never been interested in Dino Frontier or star child had I not tried the demos. And I didn't know Raw Data was so cool! I'm definitely looking forward to Moss as well.

I really liked the user interface for Dino Frontier. It's really intuitive and masterfully designed. It is a great example of both how 3rd person in VR can be immersive and how VR can improve traditional 2D game concepts.

The game space scaling in fantastic contraption is brilliant as well.

Are the demos for rez, thumper etc the same as the first disc?

Edit :

Finally checked out the London Heist portion of VR Worlds. Great stuff! As someone who works in AR and VR I am very excited what they've been able to achieve with virtual humans in that instance, and looking very forward to what's coming next.

I loved the scene when you are sitting in the little bar there, I would like to see more of that sort of thing (people walk in and out of the room to engage with you and move the story along). Kinda wished they could let you sit there to enjoy the ambiance for awhile and ignore the characters even -

Try
actually smoking the cigar and reaching for the black book

philm87

The game space scaling in fantastic contraption is brilliant as well.

Are the demos for rez, thumper etc the same as the first disc?

Really loved Fantastic Contraption. Some great psvr puzzle games available with that and the likes of Statik and I Expect You To Die.

Not sure if they're the same, but didn't realise until yesterday that there's a few different ones on there live Driveclub VR and Headmaster, among others. Glad I got a chance to try Driveclub as I now know I don't want to purchase a driving-with-Vaseline-all-over-the windscreen sim.

T-0800

Bought my PSVR Skyrim bundle today on a whim. Price was too good to pass on. I was going to use the money to buy a Switch but as Mario is the only game I want at the moment that can wait.

Oh boy this thing is awesome. Playing GTSport in VR was fantastic. Sure the visuals take a hit (I have a Pro) but I don't even care. Still looks great to me, just a different sort of great. I've heard people say that driving in VR is easier because it is easier to judge cornering and it is true. Makes a huge difference.

I've only played about 10 minutes of Skyrim so far. Looks fantastic.

Oh yeah....Until Dawn. I screamed out loud.

RE7 demo. It feels like I'm in a real house. I couldn't believe it. I don't think I have what it takes to play the whole game though. I scare to easily.

Grinchy

Banned
RE7 demo. It feels like I'm in a real house. I couldn't believe it. I don't think I have what it takes to play the whole game though. I scare to easily.

lol you can do it!

Just make small progressions and you'll get through it in no time. RE7 in VR is the first time I've felt legitimately scared at any movie or game since I was like 8 years old. I typically hate horror games.

Grinchy

Banned
BTW, people have been getting copies of Doom VFR early, and it looks like smooth movement actually was added to the game. It's not teleport-only as they had suggested all this time.

You can see the options and the smooth movement gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0Att3ynb8

I'm really surprised. This is going to be a hell of a game with the Aim controller. It looks like it gives you the option to walk forward normally or pulse forward, with the choice of either at any time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Zabby my dude.....it's already twice as better than PS Move, so no reason to worry about that.

RavageX

BTW, people have been getting copies of Doom VFR early, and it looks like smooth movement actually was added to the game. It's not teleport-only as they had suggested all this time.

You can see the options and the smooth movement gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0Att3ynb8

I'm really surprised. This is going to be a hell of a game with the Aim controller. It looks like it gives you the option to walk forward normally or pulse forward, with the choice of either at any time.

This news made the game go from a pass to a buy.

Belker

Amazon UK shipped the old headset when they told me it would be the new one.

On the phone trying to sort out it. They suggested refunding me, but I explained that their prices might go up.

philm87

Amazon UK shipped the old headset when they told me it would be the new one.

On the phone trying to sort out it. They suggested refunding me, but I explained that their prices might go up.

Can't get the new one in the UK yet so they should've known better.

Top Bottom