• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Voted Best RPG of All Time by Famitsu Readers; NieR: Automata Places 4th

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu included the results of a survey that asked the popular Japanese magazine’s readers to vote for their favorite RPG of all time.

The survey gathered 2,295 votes, 56% from males, 43% from females (1% didn’t specify their gender). 9% of votes were in their teen years, 36% in their twenties, 37% in their thirties, 16% in their forties, and 1% in their fifties, with an additional 1% that did not identify their age. Voting was done between June 22nd and June 28th.

Below you can read the full ranking, with the number of votes for each game:

Persona 5 – 256
Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation – 218
Chrono Trigger – 194
NieR: Automata – 177
Final Fantasy VII – 169
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride – 165
Suikoden II – 155
NieR – 151
Persona 3 -131
Final Fantasy XV – 110
Xenoblade Chronicles – 104
Final Fantasy X – 100
Xenogears – 91
Persona 4: Golden – 90
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen – 82
Final Fantasy VI – 81
EarthBound – 78
Final Fantasy IX – 75
Final Fantasy VIII – 74
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – 72

More at the link:
http://www.dualshockers.com/persona-5-best-rpg-nier-automata/

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's not my #1, but I certainly can't say that it's ridiculous as a choice. Amazing game.

jonno394

Not a slight on the quality of either, but both are fresh in peoples minds which will skew the results somewhat.

Lynx_7

Not a slight on the quality of either, but both are fresh in peoples minds which will skew the results somewhat.

This is true to an extent. FF X once ranked at number 1 in one of those polls too, and though it still ranks pretty high, it's obviously not the most popular FF right now. Whether or not either game will stand the test of time is the true question.

Also, Witcher 3 at 20th is really surprising. I think this might be the first time I've seen a WRPG ranking so high in a japanese list.

Scipio

Witcher 3 is an interesting pick for a Japanese outlet. Certainly belongs to be named alongside Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

Persona 5 was weaker than Persona 4 I feel, but stronger than the third one.

Jonnax

There's a lot I didn't like in Persona.
The repetitiveness.
The villains were just generically evil with no nuance,
The homophobia,
The whole "you should model nude to get info!" after the teacher forcing students to perform sexual favours was one of the themes the game explored
Ryuji being a creep with the whole "Stick on your swimsuits and seduce him"

I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

asagami_

Banned
Happy to see Xenogears in the list, but the lack of Megaten outside Persona is a bit sad.

Edit: Oh, there is a link. I will check it first lol.

Fascinating game, but I personally would not rank it among the best though it is very good overall.

Actually, that list, in general, is pretty good. Not bad Taste at all.

Asd202

I like Persona 5 but generally speaking anything coming out from Famitsu that is not news is shit. This is not game magazine but PR and Marketing outlet for Japanese publishers and devs.

Can't speak for P5 since I haven't played it. Automata is definitely a good game but despite my love of Platinum and Square Enix I ended up being pretty critical of it (still 8/10, just found it padded in places which dragged things down). Definitely wouldn't put it in the top 5 but I can agree with it in the top 50. Definitely a recency bias going on here but overall the list isn't bad. Happy to see Xenoblade up there.

Top Bottom