• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

The only reason they said 360/PS3 last year was because they couldn't say PS4/Xbox

It will be 'cancelled' for current gen machines soon enough.

I would actually be pretty surprised if that happened, for financial reasons more than anything else. I think we're going to see cross-gen games a lot longer than we did last time round.

-MB-

I wouldn't put it past him to being very sneaky with his wording. If he considers only Durango/Orbis as next-gen then saying PS3/360 hasn't started yet doesn't mean Wii U has.

Only it has, as Aostia's referral to the Watch Dogs tablet usage thread states.

Toski

Yeah, let's jeopardize chances of our game selling well by cutting more than 120 mln potential customers out.

Depending on how many games ship during the launch window, WD could keep its shelf value higher for longer since retailers wont be able to mark down the price 2 weeks after it comes out.

ymmv

Banned
OP is jumping to conclusions. Unless Guillemot said something other than the quote in the post

He's only saying that WD is developed as a next gen game first by Ubi Montreal and then other Ubi studios make it fit for older hardware. It doesn't mean that these older versions haven't started development yet or that they are going to wait until development on next gen is finished to start porting the game. That's just crazy

The PC/next gen versions lead and are developed by UbiSoft Montreal, the other versions are ported by other teams. Otherwise there'd be no chance at all that Ubisoft might show both next gen and current gen versions at E3.

Elios83

I'd like to play this as a PS4 launch title.
The fact that they're conceiving the game as a next gen title, developing it on high end PCs is good news for me in this sense.
Of course it sucks for those interested in the PS3/360/Wii U versions which are probably going to receive a cut-down experience.

FuKuy

I was like 99 % sure to buy this for one of the next gen systems. Now I'm 100 %.

I was 100% sure to buy the PC version since the beginning. Probably my current computer can handle well enough, don't need to spend extra money on hardware, yeay!

ymmv

Banned
I was 100% sure to buy the PC version since the beginning. Probably my current computer can handle well enough, don't need to spend extra money on hardware, yeay!

PC version is the only way. The game has only been demoed on the PC so far, it's been UbiSoft Montreal's main development platform for the full development cycle of that game whereas the PS4/720 will have been created for the most part on non final devkits.

Treating current gen platforms as an afterthought then. I dread to think how inadequate the game looks and performs compared to the next-gen versions.

Kadayi

Banned
The quote: "The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation. So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles."

I'm actually quite buoyed by that statement. When I heard the news that the game was coming to the 360 & PS3 I was was quite concerned that Ubisoft were effectively going to gimp the games development in order to run on the antiquated hardware (weakest links in the chain so to speak). This is definitely good news, though you have to wonder how compromised those ports are going to be.

ymmv

Banned
Treating current gen platforms as an afterthought then. I dread to think how inadequate the game looks and performs compared to the next-gen versions.

It's the only way to push forward. All developers should make next gen development their priority.

Here's an example that Nirolak has posted comparing UBI's last gen port compared to their new engine on current gen platforms

tom-clancys-ghost-recon-advanced-warfighter-20060331034805121-1457684.jpg

tom-clancys-ghost-recon-advanced-warfighter-20060106053253519-1361700_640w.jpg

tom-clancys-ghost-recon-advanced-warfighter-20060307070034519-1429310.jpg

That's Advanced Warfighter on the PS2 and Xbox vs. 360. Obviously it's expected that the 360 version would be a big step up, but PS2 and Xbox were much more capable than those ports show.

It's the only way to push forward. All developers should make next gen development their priority.

Oh I'm not complaining. PS4 version all the way for me, whenever I get the console. After seeing the footage shown so far, I can't settle for anything less.

Luthos

I doubt I would of gotten it on a current gem system, but this does confirm my decision to wait till I get a PS4.

Fuck yeah! This means that Wii U is either brought down directly from the main versions, or even a ground-up version, this shows that they're taking this very seriously, I just wonder who will take on the PS360 versions?

Very good news about the Wii U version indirectly.

Derrick01

Banned
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen for current gen consoles then.

The old E3 demo confirmed that was going to happen. This is how it should be, we're approaching the new generation for the first time in 8 years. The old consoles need to fuck off as soon as possible and quit stifling progress.

Eideka

Banned
Good news that the PC is treated equally as the PS4/720.

If Ubi wants to improve its relationship with PC gamers they could release WD on PC at the same time as the consoles.

ozfunghi

The exact quote is:

"Op dit moment werkt het team hard aan de versie voor de volgende generatie spelcomputers en de PC. Daarna gaan andere teams kijken hoe ze het kunnen brengen op de huidige generatie spelcomputers. Misschien dat we op de E3 de twee verschillende versies kunnen laten zien."

Meaning, word for word:

At this moment the team is working hard on the version for the next gen consoles and PC. After that, other teams will see how they can bring (port) it to current gen consoles. Maybe we'll be able to show the two different versions at E3.

Crub

...Wait.
This + Wii U version already running means that...the Wii U version is a downscaled next-gen one?

As far as I know, Ubisoft usually develop their games on PC and then make the platform-specific adjustments later on.

The exact quote is:

"Op dit moment werkt het team hard aan de versie voor de volgende generatie spelcomputers en de PC. Daarna gaan andere teams kijken hoe ze het kunnen brengen op de huidige generatie spelcomputers. Misschien dat we op de E3 de twee verschillende versies kunnen laten zien."

Meaning, word for word:

At this moment the team is working hard on the version for the next gen consoles and PC. After that, other teams will see how they can bring (port) it to current gen consoles. Maybe we'll be able to show the two different versions at E3.

So Wii U = next-gen to Ubisoft confirmed?

Yikes.

Oh well. I'm getting it for the PS4 anyways

Where do you see "the three next gen consoles" in there?

He's probably refering to a previous statement from Ubi that the Wii U version was already up and running, but they hadn't decided exactly what they were going to do with the touchscreen yet...

He's/she's probably refering to a previous statement from Ubi that the Wii U version was already up and running, but they hadn't decided exactly what they were going to do with the touchscreen yet...

I'm a boi (Hero and not Heroine would kinda be a clue XD).

And yeah, that's what I was referring to, as the Wii U build is already up and running, that tells us a lot.

I'm a boi (Hero and not Heroine would kinda be a clue XD).

And yeah, that's what I was referring to, as the Wii U build is already up and running, that tells us a lot.

Edited sir. I'm getting it for the Wii U. Considering that the Wii U version is already running, but they couldn't show the PS4 version at the event makes me a little more comfortable with me decision.
If i get a PS4, it'll be after the first revision and they've worked out the kinks. I just don't see how they'll be able to handle the extra heat of doubling the GDDR5 last minute without a complete redisign.

pvpness

Glad to know that the Wii U version isn't just a prettier 360 version. Still probably pc for me (which I'm also glad isn't being hamstrung) but they're on the right track to getting me to buy a console version instead.

Again, by your logic no one would ever make a high budget launch game. But they do, regularly. AAA console launch games tend to have very high tie ratios, and relatively long shelf lives, since new console buyers continue to buy them over a relatively long period. Plus you're investing a long-term franchise user base.

Obviously, if you can down-port relatively easily and without affecting the quality of your lead platforms, it makes sense to do so. That has not been the case in previous gen cross-overs. It may be somewhat easier this time, so we may see more cross-gen releases than in previous transitions.

Also you're making a lot of arbitrary assumptions about the game's budget. Budget is not a linear function relative to development time.

Plus expect to see Watch Dogs 2, Watch Dogs Brotherhood and what else in the coming years, using the same tech they developed with the initial budget. It is a long term investment, as you said. And a showcase demostration for other games (see, this is what you should expect from a Ubisoft game).

But of course they have to get something from current generation. But I do not expect the ports to be great.

Amazing that they would just come out and say that. Obviously we all knew the footage we've seen was not running on current gen consoles, but the notion that they haven't even started development on a game that is supposed to be out this holiday is pretty worrying. Oh well, hype level for new consoles just went up another notch.

Ubisoft has always considered the Wii U to be next gen I believe, which is rather ridiculous that we would even have to discuss this. Wii U = next gen.

More sad than ridiculous. I always considered Wii U to be next-gen, but devs/pubs, they don't always agree. :( So it's a relief when one does, and Ubisoft is a really good one to have around really supporting the system.

Criterion is another, shame EA as a whole doesn't think like Criterion. :(

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen for current gen consoles then.

Good. I want the current gen to die the instant the PS4 launches. It will be painful seeing any next-gen/current-gen multiplat released simultaneously cause I know the game was held back from its true potential.

kirby_fox

Banned
Isn't PS4 and Wii U more PC-esque meaning they're easy to port to after creating games on PC? And if rumors for the 720 are true, it's also easy to port.

Meaning we'll see game development be on PC and then ported over. PS3/360 don't have that easy porting so this would make sense why they haven't touched them yet.

Top Bottom