• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

orochi91

These are the type of differences I expected going into this gen.

Rockstar actually making use of the PS4 hardware.

Cerny will be proud.

You're looking at grass LoD being lower on the XB1 version. That seems to be it really.

Am I looking at a different image? There's a clear different of foliage density. If it was an LoD issue, there would be grass right in front of the player's feet, but none a few meters away. Not the other way around.

Macaco84

Well, after reading every gta v thread on neogaf almost to exhaustion I finally decided to unwrap my ps4 copy and have a go. Up until then I was reserving my right to return it if the port turned out to be bad.

We'll to reassure every ps4 owner here. The game plays great. I don't know about the grass but the frame rate (after the 1gb update) is 99 percent locked just driving around the city. We'll I've just done night driving so far but no reason to believe will be different in the day. Smooth as butter for me. No frame pacing juddery sh*t.

I think the visuals are great. Kind of soft. Reminds me of the ps3 version of gta 4. But in a good way. The background far off scenery is kind of fuzzy but in a nice dof kind of way.

The only red mark against it so far is the lamp posts which seem either heavily aliased or really pixelated. Can't work out which. Also some mild popin but nothing too serious. Also traffic seems barely more dense. Some parts of town are a ghost town. But this is no worse than last gen and for a smooth frame rate I think that's fine.

Haven't done any missions yet but at least if u r the kind of person that just wants to drive around with the radio on and take in the sunset it is smooth and beautiful.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Am I looking at a different image? There's a clear different of foliage density. If it was an LoD issue, there would be grass right in front of the player's feet, but none a few meters away. Not the other way around.

Density looked fine in the videos posted earlier, though. Maybe it's camera based and not player based? Would explain why the character has barely any grass around him in that one screen.

shandy706

I'm ashamed to say..

Captain-America-Understood-That-Reference-Gif-On-The-Avengers.gif

Elandyll

Banned
When you factor in the controller, the xbox one version actually looks a bit better

Except for people who actually prefer the DS4 I guess? Can't tell sometimes if people are joking.

DF also updated their article (as mentionned a few posts above) to indicate that yes, the PS4 version also has less framerate drops (not that there were really many on XB1), but also a Lens Flare effect that looks to be missing on XB1.

They are "looking" into the grass thing.

Also, maybe it's my eyes, but the actual lighting looks better on PS4 it seems. Now it could very well just be a matter of time of day, sure. But it's not the color tints or light harshness, but more the lighting "quality"... Looks more natural to me. #shrug

m5QfIhd.png

Chobel

If it's LoD issue how come some far plants look normal and other don't appear at all? All far plants should use same LoD profile. So you either have no plants at all or you have all the plants.

Density looked fine in the videos posted earlier, though. Maybe it's camera based and not player based? Would explain why the character has barely any grass around him in that one screen.

LOD conspiracy is already debunked. Also this is not the first Rockstar game with reduced vegetation density.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
LOD conspiracy is already debunked. Also this is not the first Rockstar game with reduced vegetation density.

Maybe it's certain types of vegetation that don't get included into the XB1 version (like all of one particular plant type), so some areas seem more dense than others?

Also, maybe it's my eyes, but the actual lighting looks better on PS4 it seems. Now it could very well just be a matter of time of day, sure. But it's not the color tints or light harshness, but more the lighting "quality"... Looks more natural to me. #shrug

There is no way to compare the lighting unless the picture includes a phone showing the same time, and the weather is the same.

Sohaim

Except for people who actually prefer the DS4 I guess? Can't tell sometimes if people are joking.

DF also updated their article (as mentionned a few posts above) to indicate that yes, the PS4 version also has less framerate drops (not that there were really many on XB1), but also a Lens Flare effect that looks to be missing on XB1.

m5QfIhd.png
WOW is that Xbox One? where is the grass LOL? and i agree with you the lighting seems better on the PS4

BeforeJam

Neo Member

m5QfIhd.png

And there are people in this thread saying the XBO version looks better?

Also I think it might be a TOD thing or janky recording or whatever, but yeah, the lighting looks positively last-gen save for the shadows on XBO.

Piggus

Look closer. The density in the videos is just as patchy. Only difference is the grass is taller in that spot and the player is moving around.

Maybe it's certain types of vegetation that don't get included into the XB1 version (like all of one particular plant type), so some areas seem more dense than others?

How would that make any sense? The whole idea of reducing the amount of grass is to keep performance at an acceptable level. The GPU doesn't care what kind of grass it is. It cares how much there is of it.

drotahorror

Could they have been playing a pre-patch version? If it does have frame rate drops on PS4, that would be very odd.

There is definitely something going on in the ps4 version. Whether it's frame drops or jacked up frame pacing, when you're driving sometimes it feels like it's around 25fps.

m5QfIhd.png

No fucking way thats the XB1

That's insanely horrible

Danielsan

m5QfIhd.png
That has to be a 360 shot on the left, right?

That's a really bad difference, I remember not liking the foliage difference in RDR last generation and this looks even worse. I'm also amused that there was meltdowns earlier in the thread about this, people never learn in DF threads.

Macaco84

There is definitely something going on in the ps4 version. Whether it's frame drops or jacked up frame pacing, when you're driving sometimes it feels like it's around 25fps.

Don't agree. Been driving around for about 2 hours now and seen two incidents of slowdown. Both at busy intersections when I am flying through. Else locked 30 bar the very odd blip. Think day 1 patch might make the difference. I noticed Some judder pre patch

Seanspeed

Banned
God I hope so, I don't believe the Bone version looks that bad.
The comparison seems to be legit, but don't take that to mean the XB1 version is as disadvantage elsewhere or in general. Somebody posted a video of the XB1 version and him running around that area. It has patches of foliage like shown in the PS4 version, just much less of it.

I refuse to believe that shot is real. And if it is real an update should fix that. There's no way such a difference would show up in this (vamped up) version.

I refuse to believe that shot is real. And if it is real an update should fix that. There's no way such a difference would show up in this (vamped up) version.

Of course there's a reason for it. One console is more powerful than the other. Rockstar pushed the PS4 a little further because they could, hence denser foliage. Simple.

Ghazi

m5QfIhd.png

Damn, PS4 looks so much better.

Noobcraft

It could be real. It could be a streaming issue from the HD though if the difference doesn't show up in DF's analysis. PS4 version looks great in the screen shown and I've seen some XB1 pics that also look incredible.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That is pretty dramatic. And maybe its time of day, but shadows seem a little better on PS4 too. Or maybe just colors in the distance.

Has danowat found that location yet so he can get the truth out here?

Top Bottom