• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Xater

So I looked through the Switch footage from Gamescom again and it seems like Squad Battles are missing as well. It's nowhere to be seen in the FUT menu. That would be a bit of a bummer. I think that is a great addition for SP FUT.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I looked through the Switch footage from Gamescom again and it seems like Squad Battles are missing as well. It's nowhere to be seen in the FUT menu. That would be a bit of a bummer. I think that is a great addition for SP FUT.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I still hope it was an old build or something, it would be a pity to miss that, it's the best thing that happened to FUT recently.

I'm confused. I preordered the normal Fifa 18 PS4 game instore at Gamestop. Is it out today or Friday for me?

Normal edition on Friday, Icon and Ronaldo editions today.

Xater

So playing the PC trial I can't finish a single FUT game. Always lose the connection to the EA servers mid game. Well fuck this game then.

Blablurn

So playing the PC trial I can't finish a single FUT game. Always lose the connection to the EA servers mid game. Well fuck this game then.

Its just the first day of release brah. FIFA servers usually are one of the good ones out there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Squad Battles is just games against from real players who are being controlled by AI right?

Right, you can play against 4 teams built by other players and the teams can be refreshed after some time (12 hours I think?). There are also daily challenges based on this mode that give you rewards.

Blablurn

Right, you can play against 4 teams built by other players and the teams can be refreshed after some time (12 hours I think?). There are also daily challenges based on this mode that give you rewards.

Cool cool cool!

cant wait to finish work and get back to FIFA

oti

Banned
Switch FIFA is my first FIFA since 03.
Also got it for 30 Euros thanks to a coupon glitch.
I'm ready.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I played the demo of this on PS4 the other day. Have to say, the new Premier League branding is great. They really nailed that one. Other than that I can safely say I'm terrible at FIFA.

n128

is there any official trailer from EA?
I mean the real SWITCH version trailer,
I failed to find one on youtube.

I'm in for the Switch version on Friday but I've got to say the lack of information or dedicated reviews concern me.

Does anyone know if they have the Premier League grounds? My last Fifa was when they introduced them and thought it made a world of difference than playing in the same old shabby template league 2 stadiums.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Switch version has been OOS on Amazon UK to pre order for over a week

It has been in and out of stock. More out than in. Pretty strange.

How do I defend?

Played my first game and AI would just waltz past me easily.

For me it works by timely switching to the player (I play with everything manually, including player switching) and not rushing into tackle. A bit of patience and pressing the attacked an standing tackle.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The teammates AI is such an improvement compared to 17. You actually have to whom to pass if you stop and turn around this time, not just the attackers dumbly running the same channels over and over again.

-Stranger-

Bought FIFA every year since FIFA 12.
Will be getting it on Xbox like usual.

Also looking to get PES this year as well.
So best of both worlds.

Ken Adams

Yea i had the switch version preordered but changed it to the ps4 one because it seems like Squad battles, Quick subs, Sky presentation is not in the switch version. Its pretty much the ignite version of fifa which is fine for handheld but i cant miss out on the FUT Squad Battles plus its not a good look that the switch review is embargoed till launch.

How do I defend?

You can change the style of defending under general settings. Have you tried legacy defending, should be like the older games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
cant miss out on the FUT Squad Battles.
It does have Squad Battle in Ultimate Team, according to a chat with EA's support:

IJDljvp.jpg

I guess we'll know soon enough.

heringer

Yea i had the switch version preordered but changed it to the ps4 one because it seems like Squad battles, Quick subs, Sky presentation is not in the switch version. Its pretty much the ignite version of fifa which is fine for handheld but i cant miss out on the FUT Squad Battles plus its not a good look that the switch review is embargoed till launch.

You can change the style of defending under general settings. Have you tried legacy defending, should be like the older games.

I don't think there's an actual embargo on Switch version. EA simply didn't send any review copies of Switch version. I assume they want publications to focus on the best, feature complete version of the game, which makes sense.

The bad part is that it should take a few days after release until reviews start appearing.

Hixx

Aaaah, that first day of a new FIFA when the defensive tweaks throw everyone off and you can score 5-6 times a game easily.

Got Dele Alli in my pre-order FUT pack too, good start.

How do I defend?

Depends on the context of what's happening, but generally, don't immediately chase after the man on the ball.

Try to stay in formation and contain the man on the ball, and try to use your positioning to block passing lanes and isolate the ball.

In dangerous one on one situations when you have no cover, just try to use positioning to contain and slow down the man on the ball until help arrives and your team's defensive structure re-establishes itself.

Don't leave too big a gap that the man on the ball has options, and don't leave too small a gap that the man on the ball can burn you with a dribble and get into space.

Use the tackle button sparingly, it's not necessary to use it to take the ball off your opponent. In many cases, you can close the man down, and you'll take the ball away without needing to tackle.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Depends on the context of what's happening, but generally, don't immediately chase after the man on the ball.

Try to stay in formation and contain the man on the ball, and try to use your positioning to block passing lanes and isolate the ball.

In dangerous one on one situations when you have no cover, just try to use positioning to contain and slow down the man on the ball until help arrives and your team's defensive structure re-establishes itself.

Don't leave too big a gap that the man on the ball has options, and don't leave too small a gap that the man on the ball can burn you with a dribble and get into space.

Use the tackle button sparingly, it's not necessary to use it to take the ball off your opponent. In many cases, you can close the man down, and you'll take the ball away without needing to tackle.

Yeah, this is a good summary. Sometimes (especially in the middle of the field and outside the box) it's better to close the passing lanes than directly trying to get the ball. In the box though it's recommended to keep as close as possible to the attacker and not give him a chance to shoot as that can be deadly especially on higher difficulties.

Yeah, this is a good summary. Sometimes (especially in the middle of the field and outside the box) it's better to close the passing lanes than directly trying to get the ball. In the box though it's recommended to keep as close as possible to the attacker and not give him a chance to shoot as that can be deadly especially on higher difficulties.

This is a good addendum. Defending is a risk-reward game. It's all about knowing when to gamble and how to best to execute the gamble. Think like how going for different types of balls in different situations in Rocket League if you're familiar with that game.

Realeza

Banned
Can some kind soul explain how FUT works? This seems to be a huge deal for many of the FIFA players, but I didn't touch it last year in 17.

Can some kind soul explain how FUT works? This seems to be a huge deal for many of the FIFA players, but I didn't touch it last year in 17.
There's a tutorial when you start it. I was more or less in the same boat. Never really bothered with it before.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Basically you start with a set of players and some items. Don't focus on the items first, except for choosing your kit and stadium. Focus on the players. Do the tutorial and the basic missions (there are 4 levels for those). Because those will give you rewards (either coins or packs). You can also get points by playing games (even if you lose).

Besides the rating of the players you have also to care about the chemistry between them, sometimes is better to have a slightly worse player in the line-up if it links better with other players. To link well two players must be either of the same nationality or playing in the same league. Ideally both.

You can gather coins to buy packs, but sometimes is better to just buy a player from the transfer market to fill in a specific position in the team. It is also good to watch the transfer market pretty often as you might get a bargain from time to time.

After this you dip into items, but that's later.

Ravelle

Always thought it was some kind of Fantasy Soccer with card packs you can buy/earn, I'm most likely wrong though.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Was up until 3am playing the Icon edition and I've got tomorrow off work to smash it out as well.

Every year I tell myself I don't need it. Every year I fail.

It's great craic so far though, can't wait to play some more.

Play games to earn coins and buy players. Complete challenges to earn more coins and buy packs for a random selection of players. Repeat until you have the best team ever. That's the gist of it, at least.

Dartastic

Play games to earn coins and buy players. Complete challenges to earn more coins and buy packs for a random selection of players. Repeat until you have the best team ever. That's the gist of it, at least.
I tend to start the mode then get burnt out, because crafting a really good team seems to take way, way too much time or money. I wish I knew how to cheese the process better, because I'd really like to be able to craft a better team.

Champloo4

Question... Ultimate Team isn't shared between consoles is it? I have it for XB1, but am getting a copy for my Switch this Friday. It will be a different Ultimate Team, right?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to start the mode then get burnt out, because crafting a really good team seems to take way, way too much time or money. I wish I knew how to cheese the process better, because I'd really like to be able to craft a better team.

Fair enough. On the other hand, I find the grind quite engaging and really satsifying when you make that breakthrough. I think if there was a way to cheese it, I'd feel less accomplished and less connected to my team.

So then I guess you can use that FUT team to play online matches against similarly ranked teams, right?

Yeah you can play seasons and attempt to get promoted from Division 10 to Division 1 (offline and online), winning rewards and improving your team on the way. Or you could pay to enter Draft, take on Squad Battles, and play the Team of the Week. That's just off the top of my head.

Dartastic

Fair enough. On the other hand, I find the grind quite engaging and really satsifying when you make that breakthrough. I think if there was a way to cheese it, I'd feel less accomplished and less connected to my team.
Oh, I totally understand. I just have so much other stuff I want to play (Marvel and Destiny currently) and putting the amount of time that I'd need to successfully make a great squad is just too much. I'm probably going to run The Journey and then just play online matches. *shrugs*

Interview with the developer for the Switch version. They are looking at this as a "foundation year"

"Although I've talked about it, and that team has talked about it, people see us as being biased. So hey, try it, and everyone who tries it says... 'OK, I'm going to get this.' We need people to get their hands on it."

And yet, Switch version is the only one not to receive a demo...

Top Bottom