• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft revises Watch Dog's PC specs (even more demanding ones, 6GB RAM minimum)

iceatcs

Cross-gen games showing that >$300 GPU from 4 years ago won't work well. Not too bad as I thought.

My GPU (560Ti) should have 2 more years left. But I'm wondering about any true next-gen multiplatform title like Witcher 3 one of example.

Jac_Solar

But how accurate are the minimum/recommended specs nowadays? It's obviously in Ubisofts best interest to make them as wide or low as possible, to get as many sales as possible.

And why does it seem like some people are arguing that high recommended specs somehow prove that the graphics will be great? It doesn't necessarily indicate anything -- a single mesh could easily bring triple titans to their knees if it's complex enough. It's just a matter of optimization.

But how accurate are the minimum/recommended specs nowadays? It's obviously in Ubisofts best interest to make them as wide or low as possible, to get as many sales as possible.

And why does it seem like some people are arguing that high recommended specs somehow prove that the graphics will be great? It doesn't necessarily indicate anything -- a single block of mesh could easily bring triple titans to their knees if it's complex enough. It's just a matter of optimization.

who knows anymore when most people's rigs have blown past recommended specs for games for so many years lol.

Herne

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you are choosing the Wii U version when you have a decent PC?

For the gamepad, mostly, it's a really unique system because of that and Watch Dogs is the perfect game to try it out on. Now, whether I get it on Wii U or pc depends on if the former is being delayed, as the rumour went recently, but given the choice I would buy that version over the other.

mjontrix

Best bet is to wait for Skylake, and 9 series nvidia cards or 3xx AMD cards (guessing it'd be 3 by then) if you're already on i7/i5.

If this is just the beginning of the games it's much better to stick with your current rigs and clear up the steam backlog first :)

Of course, those with dual cores should start saving up for Haswell-E 6/8 cores and a 7xx or 290.

16GB RAM of course, 8GB is barely enough by the looks of things.

For the gamepad, mostly, it's a really unique system because of that and Watch Dogs is the perfect game to try it out on. Now, whether I get it on Wii U or pc depends on if the former is being delayed, as the rumour went recently, but given the choice I would buy that version over the other.

I'd love for them to utilise the Wii U's gamepad in really creative ways for this game but I'm not holding my breath. Have they released any videos of Wii U gameplay? I don't think there are any yet .

Herne

I'd love for them to utilise the Wii U's gamepad in really creative ways for this game but I'm not holding my breath. Have they released any videos of Wii U gameplay? I don't think there are any yet .

No, nothing yet, but surely they won't overlook the great potential of the gamepad, especially in a game like this. That would be an incredible oversight and require some really creatively stupid thinking.

No, nothing yet, but surely they won't overlook the great potential of the gamepad, especially in a game like this. That would be an incredible oversight and require some really creatively stupid thinking.

nothing about this game scream 'i need a gamepad' though. I mean you can have the map or w/e on the bottom screen, but there doesn't seem to be any hacking minigame, just point at something and press a for awesome.

Waiting for R9 290X reviews. Just want to buy a GPU that will run every single game 1080p60 no questions asked. BF4 beta performance has been hell on my GPU despite BF3 running at 1080p60 :p

Honestly im not comfortable with any single gpu setup in terms of 1080p and 60.

As someone with sli 680s ocd the 290x shouldn't be more powerful than what I have, but you just hole that full utilization of the card and perhaps mantle make it worth it.

If I had to put money on a titan or 290x running The Witcher 3 at 60 id probably bet the under.

I'd love for them to utilise the Wii U's gamepad in really creative ways for this game but I'm not holding my breath.

Same here - not sure what to make of this: (source)
On the Wii U you can play on the GamePad screen. There are no new features or anything like that - it's the same game but we're optimizing the controls for the beast that is the Wii U GamePad.

On one hand there are no new features, but then they're optimizing it for the "beast" that is the gamepad.

Serandur

It still hasn't fully registered for me that you'll be expected to pay for online on both new consoles. That's a pretty important point!
It is important and yet, the vast majority shrug it off as if it means nothing. Confirmation bias and misinformation everywhere... :/
Coupled with digital game sales, I think we're looking at an era of PC gaming being both potentially cheaper and better at the same time and from day one (for better - performance) no less. That's separate from all the other benefits of an open platform. With those, damn, why isn't this market more mainstream? I hate subsidized pricing schemes.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
800x600 highest settings here we come, so I get them next gen graphics at SD resolution
KappaHD.png

Herne

nothing about this game scream 'i need a gamepad' though. I mean you can have the map or w/e on the bottom screen, but there doesn't seem to be any hacking minigame, just point at something and press a for awesome.

Well, they could do stuff like using the gamepad's motion sensors to have you move the gamepad around to detect cameras you could hack into, instead of relying on the slow and awkward right analogue stick.

Syf

Banned
Wait......I thought 4GB ram would be plenty for PC gaming for at least another year or so....
RAM's cheap, at least. A big leap was to be expected with a new generation (finally) arriving. Upgrades will be necessary but I'm glad games are going to start targeting higher specs.

Setsuna

Ram these days is mostly about pre caching applications for faster launching of the operating system as well as most used applications rather than the ability to run multiple apllications concurrently

you could still probably use 4GB of ram if you dont do anything outrageous

Wireframe

I love all the "PC master race" people bitching now there's a title worthy of high end gaming rigs and they can't play them. xD

Syf

Banned
I love all the "PC master race" people bitching now there's a game worthy of high end gaming rigs and they can't play them. xD
Anyone with a high-end rig right now will be able to play this at high settings. In fact a high-end rig right now is a fair bit better than the recommended specs. So.. you know.

Actually, it's a PC game.

But it's a good point. How do they, on the one hand, get the game to run on a 360 with 512MB of RAM and then require 6GB on the other?

I love all the "PC master race" people bitching now there's a title worthy of high end gaming rigs and they can't play them. xD

My 4 year old i7 system is perfectly capable of running the game. I've upgraded the video card since then, but please keep posting inaccurate snark.

Wireframe

Anyone with a high-end rig right now will be able to play this at high settings. In fact a high-end rig right now is a fair bit better than the recommended specs. So.. you know.

It's not the monster rig owners I'm talking about, it's the people with the 2008-2009 machines with 4gb ram and ageing graphics and cpus that bash console gaming.

Setsuna

But it's a good point. How do they, on the one hand, get the game to run on a 360 with 512MB of RAM and then require 6GB on the other?

because it doesnt actually require 6GB the 6GB number probably includes a buffer for operating system stability

one system is a closed box running 512MB of ram the developer knows how much ram is availible to them at all times

the other is running on a PC with an OS footprint of 1 Gigabyte that may fluctuate a GB depending on whats happening

civilization 5 right now plus firefox and windows 8 brings me 3.1 GB

ghst

thanks for the laugh
It's not the monster rig owners I'm talking about, it's the people with the 2008-2009 machines with 4gb ram and ageing graphics and cpus that bash console gaming.

you don't need a great computer to bash a dinosaur business model in its death throes.

Syf

Banned
Honestly, even 2008 machines that haven't been touched since being put together would be fairly cheap to upgrade enough to make this game - and other next-gen titles - playable on decent settings. But yeah, if you go that long without upgrading you've got to expect to need to put some money into your system to play a new generation of games. That's nothing new.

Top Bottom