• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 2 HYPE Thread (Book 1 & 2 Spoilers inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Do not watch Korra first - you will miss out on a lot of really funny references, and some really important background lore.

Yes. Watch ATLA first.

The problem with the last thread was that there were so many official and unofficial leaks. And not everyone can watch it "legally" at the same time.

If a show is big enough IE breaking bad/game of thrones it does mean more posters and thus more people who spoil intentionally or unintentionally
Especially if you have casual posters who don't give 2 fucks about spoiler tags or reading OPs

I agree with Okimaru on this one. Put the rules explicitly in the OP, and if people don't follow them, they get bodied. Simple.

There's no point in a real time discussion thread if we have to wait for everyone to watch something before we can talk plainly about it.

shira

I'm inclined to do it as we had last time. Just keep it simple: If it hasn't aired in the US (as an episode -- trailers and coming next week clips don't count), keep it in tags. So long as the rules are in the OP, members can be bitchslapped for not following them (since not reading the OP is bannable).

Two threads is too much, and we can't go around asking people to be considerate for everyone in every country, or those who DVR'd it to watch a few days later. I think it's fair to expect people to avoid the thread if they want to dodge spoilers on already aired episodes.
Up to you. 2 threads on Gaf is nothing.

I just remember it was a younger/dumber crowd and there was spoiler bitching every other page and begging for a separate thread next book. Nobody reads OPs.

I agree with Okimaru on this one. Put the rules explicitly in the OP, and if people don't follow them, they get bodied. Simple.

There's no point in a real time discussion thread if we have to wait for everyone to watch something before we can talk plainly about it.

Nobody reads OP's. This is mostly younger members who are not trying to spoil shit, they just don't care/casual poster and end up spoiling shit they don't deem important

The spoiler thread is for real time discussion
The OT is for updates

Er, I feel like once it's aired on TV, it's on the other people where it hasn't aired yet to stay out of the thread until they are able to watch it. Why should everyone else have to curve their discussion? I think the general rule that works on most boards is this:

Any info/discussion about an episode that hasn't aired yet, needs to be in spoiler tags. Once the episode airs its first run on TV, then spoiler tags are no longer needed for that episode. But spoiler tags are still required for everything else that has not aired yet. IF you don't get the show live, then it's on YOU to stay out of the thread until you are able to catch up.

In terms of leaks (including rumors/speculation), they should always be spoiler tagged. It's then on the individual to NOT click the spoiler tags if they don't want to be spoiled. Anyone that doesn't use spoiler tags and keeps doing despite being warned nicely should be reported to a mod and banned.

Then again, I wasn't here during Book One. You guys are saying it was this huge problem with people not using spoiler tags or whatever and not reading the OP. That is unfortunate. If we do have two threads, I'm only going to post in OT, and will talk about current episodes. That's all I know. Would be lame if I had to move over to the spoiler thread to post my speculations though (which would be in spoiler tags).

It relegates the OP and top posters to being babysitters. Hey don't post spoilers or I'm gonna tell a mod.

Mononoke

Banned
Er, I feel like once it's aired on TV, it's on the other people where it hasn't aired yet to stay out of the thread until they are able to watch it. Why should everyone else have to curve their discussion? I think the general rule that works on most boards is this:

Any info/discussion about an episode that hasn't aired yet, needs to be in spoiler tags. Once the episode airs its first run on TV, then spoiler tags are no longer needed for that episode. But spoiler tags are still required for everything else that has not aired yet. IF you don't get the show live, then it's on YOU to stay out of the thread until you are able to catch up.

In terms of leaks (including rumors/speculation), they should always be spoiler tagged. It's then on the individual to NOT click the spoiler tags if they don't want to be spoiled. Anyone that doesn't use spoiler tags and keeps doing despite being warned nicely should be reported to a mod and banned.

Then again, I wasn't here during Book One. You guys are saying it was this huge problem with people not using spoiler tags or whatever and not reading the OP. That is unfortunate. If we do have two threads, I'm only going to post in OT, and will talk about current episodes. That's all I know. Would be lame if I had to move over to the spoiler thread to post my speculations though (which would be in spoiler tags).

AoM

Mike, Bryan, Joaquim, and Ki-Hyun Ryu did a LoK signing/discussion at Barnes and Noble. Yumchunks recorded it.

1 2 3

- Mike and Bryan started working on Korra in early 2010. Joaquim and Ryu joined shortly after.

- Mike would work on character descriptions and world-building, Bryan would work on the art of the world, and Joaquim and Ryu would work on character designs and concepts.

- There will be no equalist plot in Book 2. Bryan joked that they are still holding meetings in some underground bookstore.

- Lin and her backstory are heavily featured in Book 3.

- We will see a lot more of the Spirit World in Korra than we did in ATLA. There are some references to the one shown in the original, but there is a lot more color in the Spirit World this time around.

- They are in post-production of Book 2, they are heavily working on Book 3, and are on pre-production of Book 4. The entire series will take them five years.

- Someone pointed out that Book 2 seems to have more male characters, and Mike said you won't be disappointed with the amount of female characters in Books 3 and 4.

Mononoke

Banned
Mike, Bryan, Joaquim, and Ki-Hyun Ryu did a LoK signing/discussion at Barnes and Noble. Yumchunks recorded it.

1 2 3

- Mike and Bryan started working on Korra in early 2010. Joaquim and Ryu joined shortly after.

- Mike would work on character descriptions and world-building, Bryan would work on the art of the world, and Joaquim and Ryu would work on character designs and concepts.

- There will be no equalist plot in Book 2. Bryan joked that they are still holding meetings in some underground bookstore.

- Lin and her backstory are heavily featured in Book 3.

- We will see a lot more of the Spirit World in Korra than we did in ATLA. There are some references to the one shown in the original, but there is a lot more color in the Spirit World this time around.

- They are in post-production of Book 2, they are heavily working on Book 3, and are on pre-production of Book 4. The entire series will take them five years.

- Someone pointed out that Book 2 seems to have more male characters, and Mike said you won't be disappointed with the amount of female characters in Books 3 and 4.

I was actually at this! Got my art book signed. Was a great event.

I was bummed by their answer about the equalist's. They brushed it off jokingly, but that tells me they don't think it's a plot that is important or that will be revisited.

Omikaru

So since I'll be working on the OT, does anyone have any idea for a subtitle?

So it'll be like:

The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| *subtitle here*

Anyone got any ideas?

So it'll be like:

Anyone got any ideas?

Be the leaf
tumblr_m1z39fEDfy1r9s07oo1_500.gif

Mononoke

Banned
The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| Bolin Sucks

Bolin is awesome, Mako sucks. =/ Although I do agree he's not as good as Sokka (some of his jokes were pretty forced).

In terms of the OT subtitle, personally like "Be the Leaf" so far the best, although this season won't be about air bending. "Korra isn't Number Wan" is pretty hilarious.

Bolin > Sokka's lame ass. The latter is only liked more because he belongs to a better show.

He has potential, but he needs to be fleshed out as a character more fully before I can agree with this. Though, on a different note, his voice actor is fantastic.

Bolin is nothing but the goofy joke character that Sokka was but without the awesome bits that made Sokka not only tolerable, but a well rounded character. Like his leadership and tactical skills.

Mononoke

Banned
I have a feeling Book 2 isn't going to really change the things that a lot of people on here hate. My hope is that it improves aspects of Book One. But if you didn't like Book One at all (like the characters), I think it's possible Book 3 will be another massacre.

Shags

Banned

So it'll be like:

Anyone got any ideas?

The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| The Electric Boogaloo

The thing that annoys me about Bolin is that he's completely useless in Book 1. Hes just there for comic relief. That final episode where they need the bars bent and he can't do anything cause he can't metal bend. Naga does the work. Then he's out there trying to stop the planes and he barely has any affect there. Iroh jr does the work.

Mako while also a bad character is still a good martial artist and has lightning, even though I hate how ass pulley it was that he was able to shoot Amon while being blood bent.

Shags

Banned
The thing that annoys me about Bolin is that he's completely useless in Book 1. Hes just there for comic relief. That final episode where they need the bars bent and he can't do anything cause he can't metal bend. Naga does the work. Then he's out there trying to stop the planes and he barely has any affect there. Iroh jr does the work.

Sokka was not too useful at first and was also basically there for comic relief.

I don't think that's a bad thing.

AoM

I was actually at this! Got my art book signed. Was a great event.

I was bummed by their answer about the equalist's. They brushed it off jokingly, but that tells me they don't think it's a plot that is important or that will be revisited.

That's awesome you got to meet Mike and Bryan. I was really hoping that the equalist plot would come back a little in S2, but oh well. But it's pretty crazy how they're working on 3 books at once.

Sept 13th? Eh.

I'm nowhere as hyped like season 1 but i'll try to check it out at least.

Bolin > Sokka's lame ass. The latter is only liked more because he belongs to a better show.

Whatever the hell you are smoking stop it right now. Seriously

Bolin still has a chance to get fleshed out though so lets see if it works out for him.

Sokka was not too useful at first and was also basically there for comic relief.

I don't think that's a bad thing.
Sokka was the one who was there to keep the gang on track and displayed his adaptability to problems and was always the one coming up with the plan. Hell I think the first plan they had was how to get Katara onto the brig with the Earthbenders.

I think it is a bad thing when he's just another supporting character with nothing to do.

Mononoke

Banned
That's awesome you got to meet Mike and Bryan. I was really hoping that the equalist plot would come back a little in S2, but oh well. But it's pretty crazy how they're working on 3 books at once.

Yeah they were awesome, I was geeking out. I'm okay with the equalist plot NOT being in Book 2, but the way they brushed it off, is as if they won't ever revisit it. His joke basically made it seem like the remaining equalists are just a fringe group of tin foil wearing hat people. That is what is disappointing to me.

I mean, we have to consider that they actually took over the entire city. That they gained control of it. Just because Amon was outed as a fraud (and they wrapped up his plot), doesn't mean there wouldn't still be civil unrest among the bending and non-bending class. Plus the governmental system in place is a disaster. I really really hope that when they come back to Republic City, they do more with this plot.

Yeah they were awesome, I was geeking out. I'm okay with the equalist plot NOT being in Book 2, but the way they brushed it off, is as if they won't ever revisit it. His joke basically made it seem like the remaining equalists are just a fringe group of tin foil wearing hat people. That is what is disappointing to me.

I mean, we have to consider that they actually took over the entire city. That they gained control of it. Just because Amon was outed as a fraud (and they wrapped up his plot), doesn't mean there wouldn't still be civil unrest among the bending and non-bending class. I really really hope, that when they come back to Republic City, they do more with this plot.
It's odd of them to brush it off since The Promise focused on the unrest at Zuko taking the throne and trying to give back the colonies to the Earth Kingdom, something that a lot of people took issue with Avatars finale ending neatly with a bow. I doubt it will be over for the Equalists.

Mononoke

Banned

Mako while also a bad character is still a good martial artist and has lightning, even though I hate how ass pulley it was that he was able to shoot Amon while being blood bent.

I can agree with you there. But I actually liked his personality. So hopefully they actually give him a bigger role this time around, instead of just being comic relief. I'm just surprised that people hate him so much.

It's odd of them to brush it off since The Promise focused on the unrest at Zuko taking the throne and trying to give back the colonies to the Earth Kingdom. I doubt it will be over for the Equalists.

Exactly. I'm glad you read the comics, because it kind of annoys me that the equalists are an extension of Aang's plot, and yet they rushed it the way they did (and are now brushing it off). Aang himself struggled with the idea of having all nations live together as one. And even though he finally decides to do it, there was still issues with how to run the city, and the implications of having all the nations benders + non benders living together. Brushing it off in Korra is not only bad for this show, but even retroactively ruins Aang's plot.

I can agree with you there. But I actually liked his personality. So hopefully they actually give him a bigger role this time around, instead of just being comic relief. I'm just surprised that people hate him so much.

He gets hate since he hardly fucking did anything and was second tier comic relief.

There was also the issue of Mako being overprotective (to the possible point of it being a detriment to Bolin) that went no where after he was rescued early on.

With his bro mostly out of the way and him
trying to take over the probending team
will hopefully give him some room to breathe.

Mononoke

Banned
He gets hate since he hardly fucking did anything and was second tier comic relief.

There was also the issue of Mako being overprotective (to the possible point of it being a detriment to Bolin) that went no where after he was rescued early on.

With his bro mostly out of the way and him
trying to take over the probending team
will hopefully give him some room to breathe.

All of that is completely valid. One of my issues (I know I'm sounding like a broken record now), is that the characters weren't fleshed out enough. And so I agree with Bolin, physically he wasn't really given anything to do (outside of pro bending). But I guess that wasn't enough for me to hate him as a character. I really liked his personality, and enjoyed his scenes. Whereas while Mako actually did stuff, I could not stand him. I thought his personality was very grating and shallow (not to mention his actual arc was extremely shallow).

Basically, I get why people thought he was useless. But he was still a likable character. And that's more than you can say for some of the other characters in Book 1.

shira

So it'll be like:

Anyone got any ideas?

The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| Friday nights just got better

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Finally!
Can't wait

So it'll be like:

Anyone got any ideas?
The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| Kohme on!

DEATH™;76813031 said:
The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| That ESKAlated Quickly

tumblr_mq777b1WQ41rt9iy6o1_500.gif

Please tell me the words on that GIF aren't real dialogue?

Because if so....

-__________-

Here we fucking go again with this dumb shit.

Cwarrior

Nobody is better then Sokka *whispers* Nooobody.

Bolin defiantly is the most likeable of the bunch but it's too bad he got the shaft by the writers, in the later half he was pretty much non existent only thing he did was accidentally blab out that mako and korra kissed to asami which is sad he only serviced as a quick plot device in mako's relationship.

So far in the spoilers of Book 2 his trapped in Frisbee bending hell with a joke losing team while everyone has moved on to bigger things.

Mononoke

Banned
Nobody is better then Sokka *whispers* Nooobody.

Bolin defiantly is the most likeable of bunch but it's too bad he got the shaft by the writers, in the later half he was pretty much non existent only thing he did was accidentally blab out that mako and korra kissed to asami which sad he only serviced as quick plot device in mako's relationship.

So far in the spoilers of Book 2 his trapped in Frisbee bending hell with a joke losing team while everyone has moved on to bigger things.

My favorite character was actually Asami. The romance stuff with Mako was really lame (which admittedly, was a big chunk of her plot in Book One). BUT, I think her backstory with her mother dying, and her father becoming a traitor, made her have one of the most interesting plot points in Book One. Subsequently, I also felt she had a little more depth to her character than some of the others because of this. I'm actually interested to see what they do with her character (especially now that her father is in jail, and he probably ruined his company). Plus unlike Bolin, she actually helped out in fights and what not.

Exactly. My point is that he's funnier than sokka who rarely made me laugh. But they gave sokka greater character development (dunno about book 1 tho it's been a while) while bolin is just a joke machine

But if bolin were given more he'd be a better character. He's already more likeable for me

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
for me character developments was where the first season fail (especially for Korra charachter which started as really good character and ended bad and weak) also the Equalists plot but that mostly because of how rushed the entire thing I guess.

I really hope they take their time now, Korra and the show have potentials to be really good.

Khezu

So my friend just informed me that this is being animated by Studio Pierrot instead of Mir, but they are overseeing it.

I'm sure that's probably been discussed in this thread already, but man, that really sucks.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't like season 1 at all, but at least I could say it had nice animation for the most part.

Season 2 is going to be interesting.

All of that is completely valid. One of my issues (I know I'm sounding like a broken record now), is that the characters weren't fleshed out enough. And so I agree with Bolin, physically he wasn't really given anything to do (outside of pro bending). But I guess that wasn't enough for me to hate him as a character. I really liked his personality, and enjoyed his scenes. Whereas while Mako actually did stuff, I could not stand him. I thought his personality was very grating and shallow (not to mention his actual arc was extremely shallow).

Basically, I get why people thought he was useless. But he was still a likable character. And that's more than you can say for some of the other characters in Book 1.

its not just physically though, he hardly brought anything mentally to the story other from dry attempts at humor after a while (when his fire ferret gets involved the humor thing works a bit better imo but at that point its the ferret that is getting the attention).

you can see why he gets hate but I 100% agree that he's likable enough for him to get another shot (main reason i'm still interested imo). Hopefully Bryan and Mike realize that too.

My favorite character was actually Asami. The romance stuff with Mako was really lame (which admittedly, was a big chunk of her plot in Book One). BUT, I think her backstory with her mother dying, and her father becoming a traitor, made her have one of the most interesting plot points in Book One. Subsequently, I also felt she had a little more depth to her character than some of the others because of this. I'm actually interested to see what they do with her character (especially now that her father is in jail, and he probably ruined his company). Plus unlike Bolin, she actually helped out in fights and what not.

Yea she became one of the standouts of the new "team avatar" due to the fact she had an actual issue to deal with and it was really personal.

While the issue itself was clichéd it's still good enough to work, plus it was one of the few story things worth a damn in the series so you have to take what you can get. :p

I'm hoping for more of her in Season 2 as well since she still has lingering issues to fix (early previews are showing them as well)and hopefully it will payoff (plus she's one of the existing characters worth a damn).

Mononoke

Banned
So my friend just informed me that this is being animated by Studio Pierrot instead of Mir, but they are overseeing it.

I'm sure that's probably been discussed in this thread already, but man, that really sucks.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't like season 1 at all, but at least I could say it had nice animation for the most part.

Season 2 is going to be interesting.

I think it's only for 50% of the season, they shared the work load. So about half the episodes are Pierrot and half are MIR. Book 3 and 4 is all of MIR and Pierrot have been dropped. From what I've seen, I actually expect this season to look better than Book 1 (a lot of vivid colors, and a move away from the sepia toned Republic City).

However, if you hated Book 1, I kind of doubt Book 2 is going to change your opinion.

Studio Mir and Studio Pierrot may have shared the workload when they animated Book 2, but Nickelodeon won’t let that be the case when it comes to animating Book 3. Studio Mir used their official Facebook page to confirm that they would be animating Book 3 in its entirety. The situation between the two animation studios is still a bit unclear, but from my perspective it seems as though Studio Pierrot’s work was deemed unacceptable. That, or Studio Mir’s work is just much better than theirs. Either way, Studio Pierrot is out of the picture and we won’t have to worry about the change in animation style when it comes to Book 3.

Book 2, on the other hand, was half animated by Studio Mir and half animated by Studio Pierrot. Studio Pierrot reportedly animated the first episode (Rebel Spirit) and Studio Mir animated Beginning 1 & Beginning 2 (Wan’s episode). It’s still unclear how the rest of the episodes were divided.

Having seen Rebel Spirit, I didn't notice any decline in quality or noticeable changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom