• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Moana the best animated film Disney has ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has some strong elements that don't really come together into a satisfying whole.

I wish it had done better because I'd kill for them to return to the hand drawn 2D look for more movies.

I'd say the same about the majority of Disney movies recently. Princess and the Frog at least had an interesting set up, a villain with character, and a nice diverse cast. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it as a solid attempt at returning to their roots. Personally, I felt it was a lot stronger than most of their CGI movies which all have really weird pacing issues and barely any build up.

I like the songs in Frozen better but this was still fun. I don't really get Disney/Pixar needs that are so obsessed with ranking and comparing every single release.

Sunster

Top 5. I cannot off the top of my head name a better one but I am hesitant to name it number 1 because it's still so new.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
It definitely exceeded my expectations. I thought I was going to be really disappointed.

I'd put in my top 10 for Disney movies, just shy of Top 5.

The new Jungle Book is incredible and deserves a lot more praise, too. F'n wizardry.

I was kind of disappointed in it. The first act felt really rushed and disjointed, kind of a shaky base for the rest of the movie to stand on. It you break the whole thing down into bullet points it seems great but I thought the execution left a lot to be desired. I did think it was alright at least, but I was hoping it'd be incredible after seeing the trailers.

(But my favorite Disney movie is Tangled, so take this opinion as you will, lol.)

it was audio visually great but the characters and plot were so forgettable (like a really tame version of the myths and history its based on). When Jemaine Clemont crab was the most memorable character, you fucked up. Zootopia def deserved the awards over Moana imo.

The "im a master sailor/navigator now" stuff was a bit rushed+forced too.

I thought it massively overrated. I really don't understand why everyone loves it so much.

The best bit was Jemaine Clement singing the shiny song. Everything else was predictable, generic and boring.

Edit: visually it was amazing though.

Yes. Everything you said. Also adding it was entirely unoriginal. I suggest if people want a better Disney movie NOT about royalty breaking established rules see:

101 Dalmatians
Pinocchio
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Lady and the Tramp
The Jungle Book
Robin Hood
Zootopia

BumRush

it was audio visually great but the characters and plot were so forgettable (like a really tame version of the myths and history its based on). When Jemaine Clemont crab was the most memorable character, you fucked up. Zootopia def deserved the awards over Moana imo.

To be fair, Tomatoa is incredibly memorable though, no?

JJH

Just watched it the other night with the kids.

Fuck Moana. Worst Disney animated movie I've seen since Cars. The music was embarrassingly bad too.

This post.

c920574cf4874d502e536c88e3e46ae9.gif

Noobcraft

It's pretty great. I'm not a huge fan of Disney movies but I thought it was solid. In terms of animated movies I don't think anything has topped the first 5 minutes of Up.

Also, the Lion King is bad. Aladdin is amazing though.

TheOGB

Banned
Moana is fantastic
Zootopia moreso
Inside Out isn't on their level but I still liked it a lot

but good lord man, Lion King, Aladdin and Mulan are hard to top
maybe Mulan isn't as hard to top

Malyse

I don't think any other Disney scene gives me goosebumps the way "I Am Moana (Song of the Ancients)" Does. Fucking amazing
Know who you are is the best movie moment of 2016. That one scene is the greatest thing Disney has put on screen.

Your opinion OP and I respect it, but imo it's not touching Sword in the Stone, if we are talking all Disney films.....Nah I would probably put something ridiculous like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo above that. But I'm late 30's and have a fondness for the older films in the Disney vault. Hell not even a movie per say but "the reluctant dragon" which isna tour of the Disney animation studios is by far my favorite Disney production because it shows you behind the scenes of the magic mixed in with some animation.

Jindrax

The animation was impressive.
Especially the sand and the water. I mean wow.

But as far as the rest goes. I found the movie extremely boring... I'd put zootopia. Toy story. Tarzan... I dunno a whole bunch of stuff first.

ZZMitch

Huge fan. My top of movie of 2016. It would definitely be in my top 5 Disney movies of all time. Aladdin is #1 tho.

johnsmith

remember me
Not everything has to be the best, but it was very enjoyable. Some very catchy songs, and the fact that we got was basically a Flight of the Conchords song in a Disney movie will forever be amazing.

Eh. My impression of it is that it is middle of the pack.

It is definitely good, but I am not sure I am going to want to come back and watch it again in 5 years.

Definitely not. Very good film, but by no means their best.

Lion King and Aladdin are the perfect blend of adapted narrative, pop culture, and music IMO. Moana is fucking superb though, so maybe in time it'll be judged as one of the all timers.

Definitely not. Very good film, but by no means their best.

Lion King and Aladdin are the perfect blend of adapted narrative, pop culture, and music IMO. Moana is fucking superb though, so maybe in time it'll be judged as one of the all timers.

I agree with this view. Nothing will ever compare to some of the older animated films like Aladdin / Lion King, but this is a fantastic addition to their library. Plus I have that damn "You're Welcome" song stuck in my head.

Prototype

Strange, my gf and I watched this recently and both agreed it was one of Disneys worst movies.
The songs were derivative and trite, and the first half of the movie seemed forced to make story beats work.

The animation was impressive.
Especially the sand and the water. I mean wow.

But as far as the rest goes. I found the movie extremely boring... I'd put zootopia. Toy story. Tarzan... I dunno a whole bunch of stuff first.
Agreed. Feel asleep halfway through.

Pachimari

I saw this two days ago, and found it disappointing. It was too long, nothing was out of the ordinary, it was a little boring and lacked that special touch. It was a beautiful movie though. Nowhere near the top of Disney animations.

Didn't even find it memorable. I've forgotten most of it after a month. Didn't do anything new or interesting.

Is it so hard to want another great Disney comedy by comedians since Emperor's New Groove? The LEGO movies are the closest.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
The chicken does not work as it is so one dimensional. Same stupidity over and over again.

Grandma was kind of ok. Parents unmemorable. Other villagers "non-existent".

Crab great. The best song of the movie. Ocean great but underutilised.

The rock had few good and few just ok lines.

Story was ok.

Animation was great.

Other songs were soso. Why was Moana song used twice?

I feel there should have been more underwater scenes.

Not clearly the best Disney but enjoyable.

Mathieran

Banned
Saw it the other night. My kids love it. I enjoy it well enough. Visually amazing, and the music is pretty good. I appreciate all the efforts they made using a non white cast and strong female character, but all in all the movie is not near the best.

Saw it the other night. My kids love it. I enjoy it well enough. Visually amazing, and the music is pretty good. I appreciate all the efforts they made using a non white cast and strong female character, but all in all the movie is not near the best.
If we're going by that, Disney has done way better.

Mulan
Aladdin
Lilo and Stitch
The Princess and the Frog

Moana is 5th, tied with Pocahontas which has its own problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom