• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

I think E is a great ending. Normally I hate deus ex machina happy endings, but E isn't as simple as saying "we'll turn everything back"; it provides a conclusion to the character arc for the pods where they reject the Yorha plan and brings back the characters they (and we) have come to feel for over the course of the game. It also deals with one of the core themes of the game - that going through hardship is always better with someone you love - be that a sibling or lover or friend - than going alone. It ties that theme into the gameplay with the fusion mode, and the option to leave a message of hope for another player/sacrifice your save.

No, it doesn't neatly wrap up the story's literal fiction, but that's never been the appeal of Nier anyway. It's an emotional piece of meta-fiction. The player fights the creators of the game (literally fighting the credits) to spare the main characters from their fate, the same way androids and machines (and the pods!) throughout the story rejected the rules laid out by their creators.

Personally I think it was the most emotionally satisfying endings I've ever experienced in a game.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good ending. But when I compare it to Drakengard's ending E or Drakengard 3's ending D, I think this Ending E is pretty weak.

Because you just get that ending thrown at you. You just have to choose both A2 & 9S and you get the ending. Which annoys me even more.

I think I would be fine with it if you have something to do to earn that ending. And not only shooting names.

But I guess that's just me.

Hmm.. I kinda miss Drakengard 3's art of storytelling.

The song that plays in the Tower is soooo good.

I think E is a great ending. Normally I hate deus ex machina happy endings, but E isn't as simple as saying "we'll turn everything back"; it provides a conclusion to the character arc for the pods where they reject the Yorha plan and brings back the characters they (and we) have come to feel for over the course of the game. It also deals with one of the core themes of the game - that going through hardship is always better with someone you love - be that a sibling or lover or friend - than going alone. It ties that theme into the gameplay with the fusion mode, and the option to leave a message of hope for another player/sacrifice your save.

No, it doesn't neatly wrap up the story's literal fiction, but that's never been the appeal of Nier anyway. It's an emotional piece of meta-fiction. The player fights the creators of the game (literally fighting the credits) to spare the main characters from their fate, the same way androids and machines (and the pods!) throughout the story rejected the rules laid out by their creators.

Personally I think it was the most emotionally satisfying endings I've ever experienced in a game.

Yeah, while some could call this a deux ex machina I feel that it's not really a cop out.

The pods (and by extension the player) exert their newly fostered will to go against the natural dictated course of the game.

As pod 042 says "I... realize something. I have come to the conclusion that I cannot accept this resolution."

The defense program is the credits of the game itself. You're going against the creators to seize the result that you desire.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No Yoko Taro ending feels definitive. The best thing you can be happy about is that these characters got to survive and live on after players around the world sacrificed themselves to help you achieve a solid conclusion.

Calling Drakengard's E ending definitive is also weird cause for a long time(before Nier) people didn't even think it counted. Seriously coming into modern day tokyo and doing a rythm game to beat the main badguy? and a 'thank you for playing??' Preposterous!

No Yoko Taro ending feels definitive. The best thing you can be happy about is that these characters got to survive and live on after players around the world sacrificed themselves to help you achieve a solid conclusion

I get what you guys are saying. But it certainly does not feel definitive.

As I said ending E basically put everything back.

Which only leaves ending C or D as true endings. Because ending E would just reset it again.

So you basically only have C or D.

Want the game to end like shit. Go D.

Want the game to end with no conclusion whatsoever. Go C and be happy that you did not choose D.

Eh...

Calling Drakengard's E ending definitive is also weird cause for a long time(before Nier) people didn't even think it counted. Seriously coming into modern day tokyo and doing a rythm game to beat the main badguy? and a 'thank you for playing??' Preposterous!

I wasn't about the actual ending, "Thank you for playing". I was talking about the way of story telling, with the timelines. And the amount of what you are actually doing to get to this point. And Zero as final boss, all that feels much more conclusive to me.

Inuhanyou

I get what you guys are saying. But it certainly does not feel definitive.

As I said ending E basically put everything back.

Which only leaves ending C or D as true endings. Because ending E would just reset it again.

So you basically only have C or D.

Want the game to end like shit. Go D.

Want the game to end with no conclusion whatsoever. Go C and be happy that you did not choose D.

Eh...

it didn't technically reset anything. they kept their memories...the machine war continues but that was always just a backdrop to our characters finding out more about themselves and coping with dealing with that with or without each other.

2B cursed god because she could not be close to 9S even though they had spent countless time together. 9S drove himself to madness over the loss of 2B. A2 was always a loner who felt she was better off by herself to avoid being betrayed again.

it didn't technically reset anything. they kept their memories...the machine war continues but that was always just a backdrop to our characters finding out more about themselves and coping with dealing with that with or without each other.

2B cursed god because she could not be close to 9S even though they had spent countless time together. 9S drove himself to madness over the loss of 2B. A2 was always a loner who felt she was better off by herself to avoid being betrayed again.

Well it actually does reset everything. Or do the characters begin talking to eachother

"Hey, 9S I'm actually 2E sorry for killing you, but I knew you would find it out eventually. And if not A2 would have told you. Oh yeah and why did you put on a corrupted arm again?"

SilentRob

Wait. Fusion mode?

I mentioned this earlier but I don't think E literally puts everything back. When the pods say "it could all happen again," I think they're talking in general terms about the neverending cycle of war. When 2B and crew wake up, they're going to have all their memories of these events intact. The idea isn't that everything is put back the way it was, the idea is that "our" 2B and 9S and A2 will live on and have hope.

I mentioned this earlier but I don't think E literally puts everything back. When the pods say "it could all happen again," I think they're talking in general terms about the neverending cycle of war. When 2B and crew wake up, they're going to have all their memories of these events intact. The idea isn't that everything is put back the way it was, the idea is that "our" 2B and 9S and A2 will live on and have hope.

You did not understand what I'm talking about. Of course (story wise) it does not reset everything. They keep their memories etc... etc..

BUT gameplay wise it does reset everything. It ends with ending E and you can only jump back.

Now what I would have prefered were something like this:

Ending E ends, they get put together and keep their memories. So.

Now I would want it to play from that point onward where they have dialogues about the events that happened and what they are going to do from there.

But technically it just ends with E and throws you in chapter select. Which basically just resets everything.

You did not understand what I'm talking about. Of course (story wise) it does not reset everything. They keep their memories etc... etc..

BUT gameplay wise it does reset everything. It ends with ending E and you can only jump back.

Now I would want it to play from that point onward where they have dialogues about the events that happened and what they are going to do from there.

But technically it just ends with E and throws you in chapter select. Which basically just resets everything.

Nah I get what you're saying, I just don't think that stuff is necessary. Obviously it's something I'd be happy to see in a sequel or DLC or something, but I don't think the specifics are that important. Thematically, ending E gives the story everything it needs to wrap up (imo, obviously)

Especially with the idea of freeing the characters from their fates as planned by the game creators. The ending practically says "well the characters you love survived and what's next isn't up to the game." You can imagine whatever you like for their future and that's kinda why I love it so much.

Inuhanyou

Well that WOULD be a great ending Xander, but if you complete the Emil Heads weapon story, instead of the past, it goes into the future, and what it says is...well the war continues on in some capacity even though the main characters survived

I just didn't think it needed to be put outthere, it would have been far better had they left such a thing ambigious for the mental sanity of the player

I kind of wish more about why the Drakengard world crossed into the real world (of sorts) was explored but even with the little bit I know itt was s great experience overall. Did feel adam was a no underused though

I'm replaying the game after letting it delete my data, and all the non-hacking chests in the city ruins have been opened already.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Apparently it's a bug, but no official word on a patch yet

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
Yeah, even the way it's formed kind of feels like the Flower from Drakengard 3.

Accord does get a tiny nod from the weapons vendor, who says that she's his supplier. It's barely anything, but at least it's an explicit, undeniable link between the two games. No more playing coy.

Also, this is the spoiler thread :p You don't need to use spoiler tags.

Sorry, force of habit. I wanted to stay on the safe side. xD

Also, what weapon vendor is this? I don't remember Accord being mentioned by any of them. o.o

Well that WOULD be a great ending Xander, but if you complete the Emil Heads weapon story, instead of the past, it goes into the future, and what it says is...well the war continues on in some capacity even though the main characters survived

I just didn't think it needed to be put outthere, it would have been far better had they left such a thing ambigious for the mental sanity of the player

That's if you complete the Emil ending though. Yoko Taro games have always been full of alternate paths and endings. C and D are in direct conflict with each other too.

Inuhanyou

That's if you complete the Emil ending though. Yoko Taro games have always been full of alternate paths and endings. C and D are in direct conflict with each other too.

I'll hold onto hope of what your saying being correct then ><

Jiraiza

I get how you feel. Ending E definitely lacks that sense of closure that leaves you with a really, really good feeling. Being privy to what the characters think about the events that unfolded so far and how it affected them and how it will affect them definitely adds to it. I sure as hell wouldn't complain if I could see a scene where 2B and 9S open up their hearts and talk over all the things they had to hide while the war was going on like 2B being 2E and 9S going through all that suffering in route C. Mention of the shopping date would be cute, too.

It is what it is, though.

I get how you feel. Ending E definitely lacks that sense of closure that leaves you with a really, really good feeling. Being privy to what the characters think about the events that unfolded so far and how it affected them and how it will affect them definitely adds to it. I sure as hell wouldn't complain if I could see a scene where 2B and 9S open up their hearts and talk over all the things they had to hide while the war was going on like 2B being 2E and 9S going through all that suffering in route C. Mention of the shopping date would be cute, too.

It is what it is, though.

It's honestly the best "Happy" ending we'd get from Yoko Taro. Most of us were even doubting when he said he'd actually have one. I think as someone explained it, that half full half glass kinda feeling. But it also leaves it open to interpretation. I admit I was mixed at first too. But realizing ultimately to cling onto hope no matter how horrible things are, seems to be the message he wanted to convey.

Jiraiza

It's honestly the best "Happy" ending we'd get from Yoko Taro. Most of us were even doubting when he said he'd actually have one. I think as someone explained it, that half full half glass kinda feeling. But it also leaves it open to interpretation. I admit I was mixed at first too. But realizing ultimately to cling onto hope no matter how horrible things are, seems to be the message he wanted to convey.

Every time I hear happy, I always end up thinking of this god damn image. That damn Emil head just won't go away!
tumblr_o603z145J81r3ixwzo1_500.jpg

But yeah, I think the ending is perfect. It's just me being selfish and wanting more since I'm so attached to 2B, 9S, and A2. The worst thing about any kind of fiction is knowing the world you've come to love and get attached to will eventually come to an end. Of course, that's under the assumption there's no sequel in the pipeline... Heh heh.

Coda

Getting close to upgrading all my weapons to their MAX. Really looking forward to the super secret Emil boss.

Inuhanyou

Exactly. The happiest ending Zero even got was that she died, and had Mikhail kill her himself.

The fact that these characters are alive, and are free to do with they want with their free will is the most important thing, and they(and we) can hold onto that.

Really well said. It left me with such a lingering high that I just want to share it with other people now.

I have to say that Ending D features some of the most unceremonious deaths ever.

9S stabbing A2 then running the blade through only to fall on A2's sword in the process followed by him writhing in a pool of his own blood until he finally stops struggling and the camera pulls out with no music.

It's so brutal but a tragic end kind of fits the self-destructive path he had taken imo.

Slater

Banned
This is SUPER rough, but the lyrics to Weight of the World are really different in Japanese

"The fading bodyless sky is still dark and the clock does not stop ringing Mechanical voice does not reach
This is the depth of the crime committed by my curse is your redemption without your dirty soul
Okay, we are now wrangling even if it is worthless That broken Leta world singing song so we are now meaningless even if we are meaningless just the future with you will disappear while the smile of that day love you ....
The overflowing greedy life wind is still peeling away far away Rusty and wicking blade In the forest where death lurks
This is my curse promise My pain of killing is your reparation that I abandoned my last dream
Yeah we are now ah, worthless even if it is worthless This love of the dirty world we love now ah, even if it is meaningless We just drowned the time with you You fade away gently ...
Yeah we are now worthless even if it is worthless That broken leta songs in the world So we are now hoping it would be meaningless Just hope for the future with you
Yeah we are now worth screaming even worthless Oh, this unclean world will love us We now hope even nonsense, just time with you
Even if prayer can not obtain forgiveness
... I"

Inuhanyou

Did you just put that through google translate lmao. The meaning is exactly the same in the versus as Nicole's version

JayEH

I have to say that Ending D features some of the most unceremonious deaths ever.

9S stabbing A2 then running the blade through only to fall on A2's sword in the process followed by him writhing in a pool of his own blood until he finally stops struggling and the camera pulls out with no music.

It's so brutal but a tragic end kind of fits the self-destructive path he had taken imo.

I really love that scene. I'm a real sucker for people dying because of random fuck ups like that. Acting was great as well.

Inuhanyou

I was told it's different In Japanese ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯ the lyrics certainly aren't a one to one thing

True, but the main theme of the song of repeating cycles and making endless mistakes is the same.

I would not be surprised in Linkin Park showed up in this game via breaking the habit like every AMV of the mid 2000s

I'll hold onto hope of what your saying being correct then ><

That's what I'm choosing to read it as anyway, heh. I think the point of it isn't to provide an epilogue for the whole story, but as an extra "you did bad" kick in the teeth if you choose to fight Emil.

Yes I loooved the direction of that scene. That lingering shot of his ugly writhing after attempting that cool-guy anime move reminded me of the best parts of Drakengard 3 - namely, the lampooning of anime/RPG tropes.

Inuhanyou

That's what I'm choosing to read it as anyway, heh. I think the point of it isn't to provide a prologue for the whole story, but as an extra "you did bad" kick in the teeth if you choose to fight Emil.

You mean epilogue right? Nevertheless i fully am on board!

Slater

Banned
Ending D didn't strike me as 9S trying to do a cool guy move, more showing that he was both spiraling in insanity, pure rage and at his core isn't a solider like 2B and A2.

He can't get a clean win like A2 does, of course it would end with an ugly, rage filled mistake

I really love that scene. I'm a real sucker for people dying because of random fuck ups like that. Acting was great as well.

Yeah, it was beautifully tragic.

Yes I loooved the direction of that scene. That lingering shot of his ugly writhing after attempting that cool-guy anime move reminded me of the best parts of Drakengard 3 - namely, the lampooning of anime/RPG tropes.

Also kind of ironic that he ends up impaled on 2B's sword.

I ended up beating the game at 4am today and I've just been letting it sit so far. Just... holy crap it was amazing. And after letting it sit for a bit I think I might enjoy this game more than the first one.

The story has so much to it and is so dense that I've been thinking about it all day. All of the main cast was memorable in their own ways and we're so well written (I just wanna give 9S a hug. He needs one ;-;). Sure the game didn't run at a perfect 60fps but that's fine cause they game play was so much fun that I never really noticed, I just kinda wish 9S's run through of the first half went a little quicker cause it started to drag but once route C started I couldn't put it down.

The music was also amazing. Okabe took the best parts of NieR's and Drakengard 3's music and made something that I feel was able to surpass the originals OST. The new singer also brought some great stuff to the table and really helped add atmosphere to the game. And speaking of audio, the dub for this game was fantastic and is easily one of the best dubs to come out this generation.

Finally, that final boss was really something. I really feel like that was one of my favorite final bosses of all time. The message and execution are expertly handled. I just wish there was a way for people who don't have Internet on their PS4 to beat it. Maybe they could patch that at some point

It can't possibly be as bad as Drakengard: Caim is a sk8erboy.
I can't tell if I love this or hate this

I ended up beating the game at 4am today and I've just been letting it sit so far. Just... holy crap it was amazing. And after letting it sit for a bit I think I might enjoy this game more than the first one.

The story has so much to it and is so dense that I've been thinking about it all day. All of the main cast was memorable in their own ways and we're so well written (I just wanna give 9S a hug. He needs one ;-;). Sure the game didn't run at a perfect 60fps but that's fine cause they game play was so much fun that I never really noticed, I just kinda wish 9S's run through of the first half went a little quicker cause it started to drag but once route C started I couldn't put it down.

The music was also amazing. Okabe took the best parts of NieR's and Drakengard 3's music and made something that I feel was able to surpass the originals OST. The new singer also brought some great stuff to the table and really helped add atmosphere to the game. And speaking of audio, the dub for this game was fantastic and is easily one of the best dubs to come out this generation.

Finally, that final boss was really something. I really feel like that was one of my favorite final bosses of all time. The message and execution are expertly handled. I just wish there was a way for people who don't have Internet on their PS4 to beat it. Maybe they could patch that at some point

I love how many folks I see clearing Route E and then just end up having to sit in reflect. It's definitely leaves some emotions for you to digest in the aftermath. I can't wait to see more folks reflect when it finally releases in the west in the upcoming week

Jiraiza

I love how many folks I see clearing Route E and then just end up having to sit in reflect. It's definitely leaves some emotions for you to digest in the aftermath. I can't wait to see more folks reflect when it finally releases in the west in the upcoming week

Yeah, I don't think an ending has hit me this hard and has me groveling over it for a week after beating it. And I don't think it plans on leaving any time soon.

Glad you liked it! Route B seems to be a common point of contention, but 1) I thought it picked up whenever 2B and 9S were separated. and 2) I think it was necessary for Route B to take a decent chunk of time to make the post-credits C/D trailer really slap you in the face.

I'm not sure how to preserve the theme from the final boss without internet connectivity. You wouldn't even be sacrificing your data for anyone.

My favorite part is when it zooms in on his crocs for "They had a problem with his clothes".

Inuhanyou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

I remember seeing this close to the release of DK3 and just being so entranced on how Yoko Taro always talks about and tries to deconstruct many of the cliches of the gaming industry in a deeper way, and it makes me feel like its part of his DNA as a creator..

Its no wonder why games like Undertale really excite him as a game developer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

I remember seeing this close to the release of DK3 and just being so entranced on how Yoko Taro always talks about and tries to deconstruct many of the cliches of the gaming industry in a deeper way, and it makes me feel like its part of his DNA as a creator..

Its no wonder why games like Undertale really excite him as a game developer

I really admire his dedication to not only trying to express positive messages in unconventional ways, but also to reflecting on and evolving those messages.

Coda

So I'm trying to still upgrade all my weapons so I can fight the super secret Emil boss but getting the more rare materials has been a pain.

I know Emil drives in other places and sells rare materials but everytime I look he's just near the desert and only sells chips. I've tried talking to him, going to his residence, transporting places with no avail. I'm trying to do it as A2, do I have to be 9S or something to find him elsewhere?

If not where is the best place to farm rare materials? I need large gears, pristine screws, sturdy sockets, machines arms, memory alloys.

Hektor

So I'm trying to still upgrade all my weapons so I can fight the super secret Emil boss but getting the more rare materials has been a pain.

I know Emil drives in other places and sells rare materials but everytime I look he's just near the desert and only sells chips. I've tried talking to him, going to his residence, transporting places with no avail. I'm trying to do it as A2, do I have to be 9S or something to find him elsewhere?

If not where is the best place to farm rare materials? I need large gears, pristine screws, sturdy sockets, machines arms, memory alloys.

Large gears and pristine screws can be farmed okayish in the desert area where you fought Adam for the first time, the enemies in there spawn infinitely, including two of the big ones.

Machine Arms can be bought from Pascal iirc, he's doing a shoppe if you decide to delete his memory, maybe you can do that if you go to that part via chapter select

Coda

Large gears and pristine screws can be farmed okayish in the desert area where you fought Adam for the first time, the enemies in there spawn infinitely, including two of the big ones.

Machine Arms can be bought from Pascal iirc, he's doing a shoppe if you decide to delete his memory, maybe you can do that if you go to that part via chapter select

Ahh yeah I went down there thinking it would be a good place to farm materials but it seemed to be giving me the same stuff over and over, stuff I didn't need.

Ahh I will try that with Pascal. I just wish I could find Emil somewhere else so I could have him sell me some rare materials. I really want to play this boss battle but this leveling up all weapons is testing my patience. I think I have 8-9 weapons that aren't maxed out yet.

Inuhanyou

I genuinely cannot stop laughing at this, especially the cut between "secretly she wanted him as well".

I had no idea that Ending Y was a thing, I came across it on YouTube. Damn that's tragic, kinda wish it had been more central almost. Just, y'know. Minus the explosion.

I think its good it was only extra lore based, just because of what you get if you complete it...that kinda splits me down the middle

Top Bottom