• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey Collector's Edition confirmed (New Details)

pargonta

You can't run the games off the disc. You install them to and the run them from XMB. No new trophies that I can tell since it is the same as downloading them from PSN.

Extras are quite nice and I like the reversible cover art.

so, this isn't a physical copy of the game... it's a pseudo download code. got it.
edit: persona7 below asks a key question on this issue:
Can you install the games while being completely disconnected from the internet?
edit2: confirmed answer:
You don't need to be connected to download them, I tried it earlier. if the PSN is ever taken down, for whatever bizarre reason, you'll always have a copy (that you'll still have to download off the disc...) Was super bummed about this because I figured I could delete them off my harddrive and just keep the disc around. Nope.

If it's install to play, do you still need the disc in the drive?
It requires the disc. I tried to play without it and a message appears saying to insert it. I thought my Gamefly rental would give me a complimentary copy of Journey, but I guess not.

although the disc acts as an installer online or off, it is needed in the machine as authorization to play the installed games. seems an okay protocol to me, just odd and not quite the sincere "physical copy" we all hoped this was going to be.

I already own and love all 3, so i probably won't pull the trigger on this. kudos to those experiencing for the first time.

You can't run the games off the disc. You install them to and the run them from XMB. No new trophies that I can tell since it is the same as downloading them from PSN.

Extras are quite nice and I like the reversible cover art.

I'm so sick off every PSN/XBLA collection doing this crap. What's the point? Not going to rush to buy this I already have all 3. Maybe if I could find it cheap but this is pretty disappointing.

I had this pre-ordered... but I am concerned about it not running off the disc... does this mean I might conceivably not be able to play the game if I'm not running an updated firmware patch?

pantsmith

You don't need to be connected to download them, I tried it earlier. It's handled like the Borderlands GOTY (on PS3), where you download the content off the disc itself. The obvious benefit here is that if the PSN is ever taken down, for whatever bizarre reason, you'll always have a copy (that you'll still have to download off the disc...)

Was super bummed about this because I figured I could delete them off my harddrive and just keep the disc around. Nope. Still nice to get the soundtrack and documentaries and all the other goodies, as well as a physical copy on the shelf. The special features are wonderful, if that helps anyone decide if they want to pick it up or not.

ecierif

If it's install to play, do you still need the disc in the drive?

It requires the disc. I tried to play without it and a message appears saying to insert it. I thought my Gamefly rental would give me a complimentary copy of Journey, but I guess not.

jimi_dini

Does fl0w include the DLC?

fl0w on my PS3 is the free version, they gave out some time ago. Didn't include the DLC and was even incompatible to the DLC.

want to get this but the need to install and yet can't play without the disc, looks like it doesn't really worth the price, guess i am just gonna wait for price drop.

want to get this but the need to install and yet can't play without the disc, looks like it doesn't really worth the price, guess i am just gonna wait for price drop.

This logic is so bizarre to me. Altogether, it's a very well done package for thirty bucks. Did people really expect Sony not to lock down being able to play the games without the disc in the drive? The install only option kinda sucks, but I don't think it completely cancels the aspect of having a physical copy of these games.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was not prepared for Journey. Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined it being anything as thought-provokingly wonderful as the experience I just took in. There is no doubt in my mind that Journey is one of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had the privilege to play, and it is well worth the $30 collection price-tag alone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MyEpitomeCliché;41619148 said:
This logic is so bizarre to me. Altogether, it's a very well done package for thirty bucks. Did people really expect Sony not to lock down being able to play the games without the disc in the drive? The install only option kinda sucks, but I don't think it completely cancels the aspect of having a physical copy of these games.
I assume that the games depend on being installed on the hard drive for some reason - the free Dead Space game that came with the PS3 version of DS2 was the same way - but it's just a bit strange that they couldn't come up with a way to have the games just play straight from the disc.

DukeBobby

I was not prepared for Journey. Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined it being anything as thought-provokingly wonderful as the experience I just took in. There is no doubt in my mind that Journey is one of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had the privilege to play, and it is well worth the $30 collection price-tag alone.

I agree. Brilliant, brilliant game. Reading all of the positive reviews in the Journey OT prompted me to buy the game. Back then, I was only a lurker on GAF, though.

I was really considering this, but the mandatory install + disc requirement (why couldn't it have been one or the other) may have killed this for me. I already have journey on PSN anyways..

Roubjon

Can I play this in increments, i never play anything from start to finish, doesn't matter if its a better experience.

Journey takes around the time of a movie to finish, so it's not outrageous to suggest that you sit down and complete it in one sitting, however you can do whatever you want. You probably won't get as much out of it if you do though, and playing it for the first time is something that can only happen once.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm so glad I got this game, I just finished it on blu ray for the first time and I knew so much about it beforehand unforuntately thanks to podcasts and online news.
I was so worried I wouldn't like it because my expectations were so high, yet it was still incredible - those guys really are amazing, just amazing.

I can't believe I get dev commentary on flower too! I'm going to have to re-play it I think.
Does anyone know if Flow is anything more than just a galaga style game? I know flower is a LOT more than what you initially are led to believe but should I bother with flow?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Huh... so basically, if all I'm interested in is Journey, there's really no reason for me to go with the disc instead of buying it on PSN? It sounds like there's no advantage to it, apart from the joy of having to insert the disc whenever you want to play it.

wizzbang

Banned
Huh... so basically, if all I'm interested in is Journey, there's really no reason for me to go with the disc instead of buying it on PSN? It sounds like there's no advantage to it, apart from the joy of having to insert the disc whenever you want to play it.

Actually, it seems to install a local copy from the disc, but there is developer commentary and it (seems) as if they get more money from it based on some of the comments made at the end of the commentary.

There's also 3 bonus little test games on there, so it's a 6 game disc.
I never owned flow and I've got no qualms paying twice for flower.

Zoe

Sorry, well whatever it is, a 2D space shooter looking thing, is there anything deeper, like flower?

Well it's not a space shooter, and the flash version tells you just about all there is to know. The PSN version just has motion control and surround sound.

zroid

Banned
Oh jesus, I'm glad I checked this thread. I was thinking of buying it tomorrow. If you can't run the games off the disc then screw that, I already have the lot of them.

Saved myself from an utter disappointment. :/

Still, would have liked that reversible cover.

EDIT: forgot about the dev commentary. Damn, reconsidering again now -_-

Top Bottom